Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Sertus wrote: »
    Can anyone suggest a couple of really excellent films worth checking out on Irish netflix ?

Oops forgot ta quote LOL

• Site Banned Posts: 180 ✭✭Sertus

nocoverart wrote: »
    I thought Shame was very good! if you don't mind subtitles Sin Nombre is also very good. Indie Game: The Movie is a very well made documentary. Just a few random films that are worthy of a mention.

Thanks man, I'll check those out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Thanks man, I'll check those out

As mentioned earlier in the thread Tucker and Dale Vs. Evil is a very enjoyable film. Requiem for a Dream is extremely bleak and depressing but a very good film. And then of course you have some of the big ones like Sin City, Saving Private Ryan etc. Jackass 3 and 21 Jump Street are good fun if you don't want anything too serious. 50/50 is funny but also deals with a serious subject matter, it doesn't get too heavy though and I enjoyed it a lot. Finally, I'd really recommend Drive, a film which seems to have polarized opinion around here but I loved it myself.

Might find something in that lot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Niska

Separate threads for film & TV
    Watched The Woman In Black last night. Old fashioned ghost story - pretty good. Stars Daniel Radcliffe and Ciaran Hinds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,256 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Been watching Avatar: The Last Airbender (also known as The Legend of Aang) Excellent cartoon, just the right blend of silly for the kids and serious for us approaching 30 geeks. Well worth a look, especially if you were a fan of the animated Batman back in the day. You may here a familiar laugh.
    But the movie 'The Last Airbender' is probably best left alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Just watched The Man from Earth on the US Netflix and if you were a fan if the Twilight Zone I think you may like this.

Not the best acting ever but a very interesting story. It's either you love it or hate it really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

I thought Shame was very good! if you don't mind subtitles Sin Nombre is also very good. Indie Game: The Movie is a very well made documentary. Just a few random films that are worthy of a mention.

+1 for Sin Nombre, excellent flick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Watched a very enjoyable, if slight, "Western" called Appaloosa last night on Canadian Flix. Directed by and starring Ed Harris, its a quite funny "buddy" film about two guys (Harris and Viggo Mortensen, both excellent) who hire themselves out as deputies to clean up violent towns, a bit of a cliched storyline of course, but handled very well with a light directorial touch from Harris, who has nearly as much strife picking out curtain material for his new house on the insistence of his prospective wife as he does with local evildoers, you'd never see Wayne doing that :D. Great support also from Jeremy Irons playing the local big baddie and funnily enough, Timothy Spall as the local town council type who hires them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Watched a very good documentry "Aileen A Life and Death of a Serial Killer" ,I thought it was very slow to start but enjoyed it all the same.It about serial killer Aileen Wuornos, who began her murder spree in 1992. A highway prostitute at the age of 13, Wuornos was convicted of killing six truck drivers who she insisted tried to rape her.She on death row.

I ve never seen "Monster" but will give it a look now after this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I recommend the hour long video of a crackling log fire that can be found in their festive section. Put it on to ridicule it ,leave it on because after a few minutes its strangely nice and festive...:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Not really festive viewing but I highly recommend the documentary "the bridge". It tells the story of various people that have or tried to end their life by jumping off the golden gate bridge. It includes footage of the actual attempts and interviews with family and friends. Very poignant and moving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

Just watched Humboldt County, gotta say its a really good movie, check it out if you can, about a very uptight medical student who discovers an alternate lifestyle in California along with some really humble personalities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

The West Wing is on US Netflix now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

Take this waltz by Sarah polley featuring Seth rogen and Michelle Williams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Just noticed "Girls with Low Self Esteem" from Arrested Development was added recently on US Netflix. Turns out they've added a bunch of fake shows/movies that were mentioned in Arrested Development in the past which just link to the episode where it's mentioned.

Pretty amusing, obviously the beginning of marketing for the forthcoming new series.

http://jezebel.com/5970014/netflix-sort-of-releases-les-cousins-dangereux-girls-with-low-self+esteem-and-other-arrested-development-favorites

• Advertisement

Any chance could should start a thread for Irish netflix, most of the chat here is for US netflix.

Any chance could should start a thread for Irish netflix, most of the chat here is for US netflix.

Why have a weekend in Courtown when you could have a fortnight in the Seychelles for the same price? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Been meaning to watch this for donkeys years, nows my chance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

krudler wrote: »

Me too. Watched the first episode last night and the presidents entrance is a classic. I actually had my brand new Raiders of the Lost Ark blu ray in the PS3 ready to play but watched The West Wing instead:confused:

Same here, in the first two episodes the characters are so unlikable I wasn't going to bother, but then after watching 3 and now 4 I'm really getting into it!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,744 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The West Wing addiction will set in quickly - it's a show to really gorge on.

Just watch out for the nasty Season 5 and the departure of Aaron Sorkin. Never seen a show take such a massive quality dive (although 'The Supremes' is one of the show's best episodes). Luckily it establishes a new and effective identity in season six and seven.

This has come up before, and we don't see any need to start another recommendations thread (there's overlap between this and 'what have you watched recently' already). As long as the country is flagged correctly, I don't see any problem. More posters starting to proactively recommending stuff from the Irish catalogue would be a postive step :)

More posters starting to proactively recommending stuff from the Irish catalogue would be a positive step :)

That's where I coming from. I stopped using this thread because of it, and I imagine its off putting to other Irish Netflix users as well.

The vast majority of recommendations here are for US netflix. Now, I've no problem with people who hack US netflix or live in the USA, that's their own personal choice/morality. I don't live in the USA and I prefer to stay honest about it, and that's my own personal choice/morality. I'm just saying the people who would prefer to use Irish netflix, would prefer not having to wade through US netflix recommendations to find a few Irish ones. Look rather than start any conflict here, I'll just open an Irish Netflix thread.

That's where I coming from. I stopped using this thread because of it, and I imagine its off putting to other Irish Netflix users as well.

The vast majority of recommendations here are for US netflix. Now, I've no problem with people who hack US netflix or live in the USA, that's their own personal choice/morality. I don't live in the USA and I prefer to stay honest about it, and that's my own personal choice/morality. I'm just saying the people who would prefer to use Irish netflix, would prefer not having to wade through US netflix recommendations to find a few Irish ones. Look rather than start any conflict here, I'll just open an Irish Netflix thread.

There is no question of morality or honesty involved. Bypassing the region restriction is completely legal and Netflix couldn't give a damn about their customers doing so. They could easily stop it but recognise that it's a massive revenue stream for them.

Just so you know Johnny is a mod and as such when he says there is no need for a thread you take that as gospel. Going ahead and opening a thread when you were told not to means it may got locked rather quickly.

"hack" netflix? there's no hacking involved its a simple numbers change, netflix know well that people do it too, the US one is far better anyway

Just watch out for the nasty Season 5 and the departure of Aaron Sorkin. Never seen a show take such a massive quality dive (although 'The Supremes' is one of the show's best episodes). Luckily it establishes a new and effective identity in season six and seven.

Did you watch any of The Newsroom? watched the first few episodes but it didn't seem to know what it wanted to be, and the usage of real life news stories was odd, became all shoulda coulda woulda about real life events.

Sorkin's stuff his hit and miss, he re-uses his own dialogue constantly and everyone talks like they're reading from a script, you'd never get a real life situation where so many people in one place have razor sharp wit and verbosity :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,744 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

We've had this discussion before, and really we just don't want the forum getting clogged up with recommendations threads. Netflix is just a service provider at the end of the day, and recommendations - Irish or US - are going to be available elsewhere if you want to track down the films in question.

Again, as long as the recommendations are clearly flagged as Irish, US or whatever, I really cannot see the need for two threads when one will suffice. It's just too messy, and since there's only limited discussion potential in the threads, we'd prefer to encourage threads with more room for debate.

As I said, I've no issue with those who want to excuse their access to US Netflix, that's their own issue, but there should be an alternative for people who don't want to go down that route. Anyways, clearly any discussions, questions or threads by people who want to stay above board is not welcome here, so i'll leave you to your activities.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13 Johnny The Fox

As I said, I've no issue with those who want to excuse their access to US Netflix, that's their own issue, but there should be an alternative for people who don't want to go down that route. Anyways, clearly any discussions, questions or threads by people who want to stay above board is not welcome here, so i'll leave you to your activities.

Get off your high horse big boy!

This has come up before, and we don't see any need to start another recommendations thread (there's overlap between this and 'what have you watched recently' already). As long as the country is flagged correctly, I don't see any problem. More posters starting to proactively recommending stuff from the Irish catalogue would be a postive step :)

Of course I was aware of its huge reputation but probably missed it on tv back in the days before easy recording and access and only seen a 3rd season episode and thought there's no point in watching it because I missed the first two seasons, but yeah of course its great once you get into it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Just saw this on their twitter feed, probably watch that after The Wire

What device are you using to watch netflix?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,402 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Nobody's excusing anything, its a service I pay for. It's freely advertised across the internet on the likes of facebook etc. Frankly I don't see why anyone wouldn't use it, but if you don't want to thats your choice.

Besides, there's plenty of films recommended on Irish Netflix on this thread. I only have to go back two pages to see about 12 film recommendations directly to you.

This has come up a number of times before, as long as people say which version a particular programme is on its not an issue, all comments are welcome here but judging people over petty shˆte like DNS's isnt.

Actually, we take great pains to ensure this forum is extremely anti-piracy, and are always encouraging legitimate means of film viewing. If you want to recommend films here from Irish Netflix, I honestly fail to see what's stopping you? There's hundreds of posts in this very thread doing just that.

Anyway, everyone let's get back on topic please. Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭MyBrokenKnees

Back to Movies Netflix Ireland. I watched Act of Valour a movie made with real Navy Seals. Sadly it is very bad even for a B movie.

I've deleted the last few off-topic posts. Recommendations (and discussion of the recommended films / TV shows) only from here on out please, as is the thread's purpose. Cheers

Back to Movies Netflix Ireland. I watched Act of Valour a movie made with real Navy Seals. Sadly it is very bad even for a B movie.

Not to mention horrible, pro military propaganda.

I tried to watch The Story Of Film, it looks really interesting, but that guy narrating it is horrendous, that drawling Nordie accent is beyond irritating, turned it off after a few mins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 169 ✭✭Bellu

Really like Netflix, which highly recommend in iFunia blog for watching movies on iPad, recently it appear error 139 sometime, but sometimes it works fine. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

Enjoyed young adult on us Netflix. Charlize theron Patton oswalt Written by Diablo Cody.

• Advertisement

sweetie wrote: »
    Enjoyed young adult on us Netflix. Charlize theron Patton oswalt Written by Diablo Cody.

I quite enjoyed that, depsite my abject hatred of Cody's scriptwriting, Theron and Oswalt are both excellent in it.

I tried to watch The Story Of Film, it looks really interesting, but that guy narrating it is horrendous, that drawling Nordie accent is beyond irritating, turned it off after a few mins

Well worth watching, the best television history of film ever, I discovered a load of amazing stuff I had never heard of, personally I didn't mind his accent because the content was so stunning.

Well worth watching, the best television history of film ever, I discovered a load of amazing stuff I had never heard of, personally I didn't mind his accent because the content was so stunning.

He just sounds so boooring, least guys like Mark Kermode seem interested in what they're narrating.

He takes a bit of getting used to but beleive me any film fan is in for a treat if they keep going with it.

He takes a bit of getting used to but beleive me any film fan is in for a treat if they keep going with it.

I watched some of the 70's episode and it was like Daniel O'Donnell was talking about Taxi Driver. "Hare's wee Travis Bickle"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Jeff, Who lives at Home on U.S Netflix now. Personally thought this was a great little film.

• Advertisement

Jeff, Who lives at Home on U.S Netflix now. Personally thought this was a great little film.

The Duplasses other recent release (although made several years ago) The Do-Deca-Pentathlon has also been added. I preferred it to Jeff... - it's a very small and straightforward film, but endearing because of it. My only major issue with it is the wife character being underwritten, but otherwise a fun and effective little film about two middle-aged, estranged brothers getting involved in a ludicrous sporting competition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

sweetie wrote: »

A couple of people I know enjoyed it too, so I think I am in the minority but just didn't like it. I'm not a fan of Theron though, so maybe I didn't give it a chance and watched it expecting not to like it.

Decided to give The Story Of Film a chance, its great, despite the narration

• Registered Users Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I watched Galaxy Quest on the Canadian Netflix the other night. I'd always heard it was good and it was. Super smart parody of Star Trek.

I watched Galaxy Quest on the Canadian Netflix the other night. I'd always heard it was good and it was. Super smart parody of Star Trek.

Love that movie, really funny

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement