Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2013; Eat my dust Meno!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Heat? Plane trip? Mi casa es su casa!!! And my pool is open!!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

You're still with digger??

FFS :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Good to see you back, get that coach of yours back on here too.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭DukeOfDromada

Looking forward to following your training. Hope it all goes well.

Definitely take DoryDory up on her offer, fantastic casa!! The heat and humidity can really knock the stuffing out of you. Prepare for it best you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Nice to see you back. Good luck with the rest of your training :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Heat? Plane trip? Mi casa es su casa!!! And my pool is open!!! :)

Don't tell the ossifer but I actually went off and priced flights... Unfortunately with all the expense this year, a trip to the States won't make the budget :'( Staying more local and heading to Spain in a few weeks for a few days - got a good deal. As much as we like to give out about Mr O'Leary, thank goodness for Ryanair!

I have an excuse to possibly splash out on a decent holiday in 2015 so I'll revisit the Stateside idea in the new year :)

Gavlor wrote: »
    You're still with digger??

FFS :pac:

He was hanging on by a thread until he started gathering brownie points by the truck load last week - he's really started to take his managerial role seriously! I guess it'd be unfair to give him the chop before Doha at this stage ;)

That said he could well be hanging on to me for the holiday and planning to trade me in thereafter... I am getting on now...

Had a good training week last week and enjoyed a bit of a rave on Sunday morning when, at 10:36am, I had just completed my highest mileage week of the plan (so far?)

I recovered well from the HM effort in Longford and given what was in store I aS glad I hadn't raced all out (the result probably wouldn't have been much different if I had).

Last week consisted of 2 recovery days, two doubles, MLR, LSR and MLR w/MP section for a total of 82.5 miles. I was extra happy to have gotten this solid week on top of a looonng and extremely busy week in work.

The MLR on Wednesday wasn't particularly pretty after a long day at the desk, too much coffee and not nearly enough water. I was gasping for the cold lemon water I knew I had in the fridge by the time I got to 8 miles. I don't really like doing anything more than 8-10 miles with the backpack but needs must and I tried to keep it as light as possible. When you're not feeling great, it's pretty soul destroying taking the 14 mile route for the 4.5 mile distance home!!

I had a half day from work on Friday so after an early start I managed to get myself on a DART out to Marthastew for a 1pm start to the LSR. (Unfortunately meno couldn't get a half day from work to join us ;)) I read MS's update and it makes the run sound far nicer and pleasant than my mind and body seem to remember so maybe I'll just leave it at that... Suffice to say it was character building - one of those ones we look back at when the going gets tough and we have to dig deep. The last 8 miles in particular were a slog and I have never been so happy to hear the Garmin beep for the final mile which clocked me at 64 for the week thus far. As a newbie to the 40foot scene, I found it difficult to contain my excitement and pain when I hit the cold water and the yelps didn't go unnoticed by the more learned bodies around - it was so worth it though. Digger was on hand for a lift back the Stew's where freshly baked treats and a delicious hot pot of tea were welcomed with open arms!! Come Friday evening, I had just enough energy to have my dinner and flake on the couch before hitting the hay at 9pm!! Par-tay animal!!

After 11 hours in bed, I was woken with an awesome recovery breakfast of poached eggs on toast and tea in bed (I swear someone has taken some feminism ranting to heart recently... Thank you Sisters Pearse!! ;)) and we headed up to Tymon to help out at Parkrun. I can only hope and assume that all the good runners of boards who have and continue to take part in parkrun events make sure they give back by helping out every so often. Teas good to catch up with Clowns who both ran well :)

I was still pretty wrecked and ate like a horse all day Saturday so after a short ugly recovery and a good dinner, I had another early night hoping for a miracle before Sundays run. It wasn't quite a miracle but it was a half decent surprise that I was able to move. This was 14 w/8@MP effort and boy was it hard. I was working unenjoyably from the off. Thought the route would be forgivable in terms of wind direction but unfortunately it wasn't. Coach had mentioned the possibility of cutting / altering the MP section after the heavy week so I knew I had an out... Told myself I could stop at 4 when a hill at 3 absolutely sapped me. Then I said I'd let myself stop at 5 if I pushed through. And then I came upon a left turn with a nice downhill so I said I'd go for that and stop at 6. Which I did. For 2 seconds. Before cajoling myself to do another mile (DCM's heartbreak hill!) knowing I had a light week ahead and that I'd be annoyed if I didn't. I hit the top of Fosters Ave at 7 miles so belted it down and called MP quits at 7.5. 3.5 very easy miles from UCD up to Foxer made sure I was well and truly ready for a very lazy Sunday. The naughtiness started with a delicious brunch with digs and pops and continued calorifically until bedtime!! :)

A very very easy week this week before a very very important LSR on Saturday. Legs not feeling so hot but I am hoping for wonderful things over the next few days!

(Aside - yesterday I learned a valuable lesson:- one should not eat an enormous Ferraro Rocher and M&Ms ice cream cone an hour before a run. Regardless of the fact that it's a recovery run at practically walking pace. It almost got very dangerous and messy!! Ugh)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

claralara wrote: »
    Regardless of the fact that it's a recovery run at practically walking pace. It almost got very dangerous and messy!! Ugh)

Ladies and gentlemen, we've found a 3 hour pacer for the 2015 Rock 'n' Roll Half ;):D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

He was hanging on by a thread until he started gathering brownie points by the truck load last week - he's really started to take his managerial role seriously! I guess it'd be unfair to give him the chop before Doha at this stage ;)

That said he could well be hanging on to me for the holiday and planning to trade me in thereafter... I am getting on now...

You're only hanging on for his pension! Not long now...

blockic wrote: »
    You're only hanging on for his pension! Not long now...

J4ysus - Don't mention the war...

Note to self, sort out the fcuking pension

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

digger2d2 wrote: »
    J4ysus - Don't mention the war...

Note to self, sort out the fcuking pension

Never too young to start! ;)

Great update CL - you're going great these days!

I love those mind games - its amazing how running can be as much of a mental game as a physical one.

Great update CL - you're going great these days!

I love those mind games - its amazing how running can be as much of a mental game as a physical one.

Thank you for commenting on my training which is, of course, why I've half resurrected the log (and not to discuss our Digger's procrastination on all things life important!)

The mind games can be right feckers with any number of possible outcomes depending on the mood / tiredness / hunger / work and life stresses on a given day. Great when you can overcome them but not always possible. Had a bad 12 miler a few Sundays back and had to take a moment to compose myself after nearly bursting into tears after 5 miles!!

Just in from an easy 10 miler with the adopted Stew - very enjoyable as he was in quite good form and not at all grumpy and angry... Either that, or I worked him too hard! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Just in from an easy 10 miler with the adopted Stew - very enjoyable as he was in quite good form and not at all grumpy and angry... Either that, or I worked him too hard! ;)

I'm Glad you found it easy. That's the fastest I've ran in a month!!

Ref the lack of grumpiness: for once I wasn't hungover and we were in the more familiar and comfortable surroundings of Tallaght ;)

• Advertisement

menoscemo wrote: »
    I'm Glad you found it easy. That's the fastest I've ran in a month!!

Ref the lack of grumpiness: for once I wasn't hungover and we were in the more familiar and comfortable surroundings of Tallaght ;)

Did you fart at all? I got grief for farting in the jacks recently whilst her ladyship was in another room!!

Did you fart at all? I got grief for farting in the jacks recently whilst her ladyship was in another room!!

No, I generally only fart when I'm hungover . Now get back to your box you sexist pig ;)

No, I generally only fart when I'm hungover . Now get back to your box you sexist pig ;)

Haha..... I know who was offended on behalf of the women of the state and when I see HIM next, I'll be advising him of my displeasure ;)

Haha..... I know who was offended on behalf of the women of the state and when I see HIM next, I'll be advising him of my displeasure ;)

Yeah Gavlor is a wanker alright ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Girl power for the win

• Advertisement

Gavlor wrote: »
    Girl power for the win

T Spice :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭dukeraoul

Thank you for commenting on my training which is, of course, why I've half resurrected the log (and not to discuss our Digger's procrastination on all things life important!)

The mind games can be right feckers with any number of possible outcomes depending on the mood / tiredness / hunger / work and life stresses on a given day. Great when you can overcome them but not always possible. Had a bad 12 miler a few Sundays back and had to take a moment to compose myself after nearly bursting into tears after 5 miles!!

Re AMK and your point about mind games - I can relate. The "Dusch" as you call him had me running an 8 and 5 today. I could barely stomach the 8, was so horrible- the 5 was like a completely different day... Sometimes it's just about perseverance, which you have in spades!

T Spice :D

Sorry digger- think the correct term is t- bag!

dukeraoul wrote: »
    The "Dusch" had me running an 8 and 5 today.
    dukeraoul wrote: »
    Sorry digger- think the correct term is t- bag!

Hey man, that's no way to talk about TRR, especially when he is not around here to defend himself. Have some respect :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Another one bites the dust. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

pconn062 wrote: »
    Another one bites the dust. :confused:

Sorry to see this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Ahh nooo :(

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

closed account??

Hey take digger with you!!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

I wonder was it something to do with the fact that nobody really commented or asked about her training. In her training log. :pac:

Farts yes. The training of an elite athlete? No, no, nooooooo

Come back CL. We will be good.

• Advertisement

I wonder was it something to do with the fact that nobody really commented or asked about her training. In her training log. :pac:

Farts yes. The training of an elite athlete? No, no, nooooooo

Come back CL. We will be good.

Good point - I think that's a factor with a lot of logs these days.

Not much training talk. No critique of plans etc - Too many 'well dones'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Itziger

I don't know any of the people here in real life but I felt the 'banter' was always a bit too much on this log. Shame really because many runners could have learned a lot by reading CL's actual training!!

I know we like to have a bit of fun too with 'Are ya still with X' and 'Is X getting fatter as you get thinner' and all that ****e but it was taken to another level here.

I followed Cl's progress closely as many of our times are similar. Now I just hope I can get near her marathon time - I don't want to beat it, just get within 2 minutes.

I agree but then again I am not sure you want or need anyone critiquing your training when you have a coach already doing that and giving you your plans. You have to trust your coach 100% and you don't really need advice of anyone else in that situation.

Sometimes with work and training you just don't have time for boards and it can become a hindrance more than anything.

I am sure CL is watching all this and having a chuckle over the 'debate'. Hopefully she will come back to us in time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

I agree but then again I am not sure you want or need anyone critiquing your training when you have a coach already doing that and giving you your plans. You have to trust your coach 100% and you don't really need advice of anyone else in that situation.

Sometimes with work and training you just don't have time for boards and it can become a hindrance more than anything.

I am sure CL is watching all this and having a chuckle over the 'debate'. Hopefully she will come back to us in time.

Yes, but will she come back as claralara or as taytopark?

I agree with you on CL - I was talking generically about Boards A/R.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Very sad to see this log closed. Cannot honestly contribute much but it was very interesting to see the progress, how the work was done etc, etc.

I'm not sure there's anything wrong with the "well dones" ... less sure about what passes as "trash talk"/banter.

Come back CL!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭rob w

Was never a big poster on this log, but definitely read it all the time an update popped up! Shame to see its gone, but good luck with the training and upcoming race!!

Hi all!

CL here...Kindly posting under the guise of Mr Digger. I probably should have posted a closing comment but 20/20 hindsight vision etc etc. The reasons for my departure from Boards are pretty simple and straightfoward and (fortunately / unfortunately?!) none other than it's not really part of my life anymore.

I haven't shut up shop in a moment of anger or passion over anything in particular. The trash banter on my log was around for a long time; it's just that previously there were regular training and racing updates interspersed therewith! It will take a lot more than closing my Boards Account to be free from everything that goes on the logs - far too many of you have my contact details and know where I live to make getting away in any way easy ;)

When I first started posting, my log was a motivator to keep me on the straight and narrow. I no longer need the pressure of having to log a run to make sure I get out and training. Running is now 100% a part of my daily life - right up there with eating and sleeping.

I spend all day in work sitting down the computer all day with no access to Boards (and no time to faff even if I did) and I rarely sit down with the internet in the evenings. I struggle these days to even keep the coach updated on my daily training! So when I wasn't logging, whether for my own or readers' interest, I didn't see the point in keeping it alive. My log was never of the calibre of some others where readers would actually gain something from a training point of view so I don't think it'll be overly missed in that regard...

I also don't contribute to the main forum in any meaningful way so I'm happy to revert to being a lurker and continue to keep tabs on everyone else whilst skulking away into the background.

The A/R forum has been and is a super resource and I've built some super friendships from my time as an active poster but for the time being, I'm calling it a day. I may be back in a couple of months when I'm twiddling my thumbs looking for distractions and missing the trash talk but right now there aren't enough hours in the week to continue my double life ;)

I'll take the opportunity to say a big thank you to everyone who has supported and encouraged me over the last few years. I'm sure I'll still see you guys the whole time at races and beery social mile events so you're not really rid of me! Best of luck to everyone in their endeavours and may you all continue to train well and race hard.

Yours in running,
    claralara :)

^^^^^
    Digger has never gotten so many 'thanks' in his life. He normally just posts a load of sh1t :pac:

• Advertisement

^^^^^
    Digger has never gotten so many 'thanks' in his life. He normally just posts a load of sh1t :pac:

We are back to the kind of conversation that made CL close her account in the first place ;)

Anyway, wtf were you doing up at the time you posted this.... You've been running 10 minute miles recently and you're pacing a 1:40 half at the weekend... You need your sleep!! ;):D

Update on The Foot....

She completed her first ever 90 mile week last week. She now has her international vest (sadly it doesn't fit me) and all is on track for the trip to Qatar later in the month. Immediate plan is to run the Athlone 3/4 this Sunday somewhere near 50k race pace.

Foot update

All still on track - She did the Tymon parkrun on Saturday and had a leisurely sub 20 stroll so the high mileage hasn't dulled the speed too much. We fly on Sunday/land on Monday so I will be trying all I can to get the exit door seats for a bit more leg room.

Latest forecsat for race day is 93 degrees so I must ensure I find somewhere comfortable to watch from ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Foot update

All still on track - She did the Tymon parkrun on Saturday and had a leisurely sub 20 stroll so the high mileage hasn't dulled the speed too much. We fly on Sunday/land on Monday so I will be trying all I can to get the exit door seats for a bit more leg room.

Latest forecsat for race day is 93 degrees so I must ensure I find somewhere comfortable to watch from ;)

When are Meno & Gary flying out? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Foot update

Best of luck at the weekend (& to the Foot too of course)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Oh digger, do Ireland proud!!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Very best of luck CL, what an achievement, to run for your country!! Enjoy the amazing experience.

pistol_75 wrote: »
    When are Meno & Gary flying out? :D

Meno is currently in a b1tch slap fight with Kevin E. to see who will be GOH's plus 1 ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Who's responsible for selecting such places for sporting events? The amount of events in Qatar and UAE is sickening. Money put before people's welfare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Meno is currently in a b1tch slap fight with Kevin E. to see who will be GOH's plus 1 ;)

When is this race on? GOH running having only raced the DCM on Monday? He really is a machine!

p.s. Best of luck CL

yaboya1 wrote: »
    When is this race on? GOH running having only raced the DCM on Monday? He really is a machine!

p.s. Best of luck CL

It's on tomorrow week. I can't believe he is doing both tbh!! I think it could be a trial of who survives best in extreme heat.

• Advertisement
Advertisement