Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General FPL Chat Season 2013/14

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,695 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Q1 - 1,222,542
    Q2 - 1,117,600
    Q3 - 39,208
    Q4 - 356,646

Started off really bad as you can tell, and main reasons why one of my rival had 140+ lead over me around xmas time.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Q1 785,057
    Q2 71,339
    Q3 21,582
    Q4 41,471

Currently 23k

An atrocious opening 5 weeks (all visits to the millionaires club) really set me back.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 39,505 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Cech gone for season too it looks like

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

John Terry in trouble now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭carraig2

KevIRL wrote: »
    Cech gone for season too it looks like

Bad news

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Q1 - 1.1m
    Q2 - 198k
    Q3 - 590k
    Q4 - 260k

I had an absolutely atrocious start. I never had Coleman, Ramsey, Yaya or Southampton defenders for large periods of the game. A combination of me thinking that their form wouldn't last and also trying to be too smart. Credible attempt at salvaging something in Q's 2 and 4, but in truth, I never recovered from it.

I had the likes of Soldado, Negredo, Mirallas (started awfully) and Coutinho (see Mirallas) in my side while the aforementioned were running riot. It wasn't until gameweek ten when City ran riot at home to Norwich and I had Nastastic and Aguero (C) that I started to get to grips with the season.

My worst performance of the game since I started and the first time in 5 years I didn't run away with, let alone win, my main private leagues. The guy who won them had a great season and was in the top few hundred for large parts of the season so that proved to be very difficult for me to catch.

I think the main lesson I learned is to not place too much faith in newcomers to the league at the beginning. Stick with those guaranteed starters that are tried and tested in the Premier League initially. Also, don't play the wildcard too quickly. That's another thing which killed me. If I had waited longer I would have been able to get this seasons big guns into my side. Instead I panicked after a couple of weeks and filled my side with what turned out to be dross.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

Q1: 265k
    Q2: 34k
    Q3: 72k
    Q4: 183k

Would have thought I did better quarter 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,262 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Q1: 1,095,242
    Q2: 352,195
    Q3: 705,576
    Q4: 9,776

Absolutely atrocious start, picked it up Q2 then fell back Q3, Q4 has been v nice

overall rank: 230,003

interestingly i've taken the most point hits in Q4, but i've never been against them per say, just go with my gut if feels right thing 2do. have always net profited from points hits in each of the seasons i've played this game

• Registered Users Posts: 13,329 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Q1 - 736k
    Q2 - 3k
    Q3 - 156k
    Q4 - 234k

Must try harder

• Registered Users Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭Hogey007

disastourous start

Q1 - 1,353,065
    Q2 - 54,285
    Q3 - 67,689
    Q4 - 24,734

• Advertisement

manual_man wrote: »
    interestingly i've taken the most point hits in Q4, but i've never been against them per say, just go with my gut if feels right thing 2do. have always net profited from points hits in each of the seasons i've played this game

Again it's all learning for me in my first time playing but I am finding points hits to be worthwhile quite a lot of the time provided your overall decision making on players is right more often than not. Especially in the last quarter where I've also taken more hits as I find with less games left there is less value in being patient with poor form or players with tough fixtures.

I've taken hits in 6 of the last ten weeks (-32 in total) and apart from doing a silly early move last week (done in frustration) to get silva I'd say they have pretty much all been worthwhile or at least broken even over a few game weeks while keeping my team in better shape for the run in and DGWs.

Interestingly the current overall leader has taken a points hit in 8 of the past ten gameweeks including one -8 and seven -4s so -36 points in total. He has made 54 transfers, one more than me, and I'd say I'm a bit above the average on this forum.

Also, I remember posting a link to this team earlier in the season who was in the top few in the team value league having taken a load of hits including -36 in GW2, but who was still reasonably competitive in at around 250k in the rankings. Checking back in on him and he has eased off on the hits since but still has 61 transfers and is ranked at 13k. He is well above me and a lot of us on here!! There are a lot of ways to play this game it seems.

I made a few mistakes and did silly hits due to inexperience early in the season and was therefore wary of them, but recently I've been regretting not taking the hit a lot more often than regretting taking it, talked myself out of a hit for Lallana to Ramsey last week for example which would have gained me 9 points.

I'd say with injuries there will be an above average number of hits this week, and I am considering -12 for the first time myself.

FHFC wrote: »
    Again it's all learning for me in my first time playing but I am finding points hits to be worthwhile quite a lot of the time provided your overall decision making on players is right more often than not. Especially in the last quarter where I've also taken more hits as I find with less games left there is less value in being patient with poor form or players with tough fixtures.

I've taken hits in 6 of the last ten weeks (-32 in total) and apart from doing a silly early move last week (done in frustration) to get silva I'd say they have pretty much all been worthwhile or at least broken even over a few game weeks while keeping my team in better shape for the run in and DGWs.

Interestingly the current overall leader has taken a points hit in 8 of the past ten gameweeks including one -8 and seven -4s so -36 points in total. He has made 54 transfers, one more than me, and I'd say I'm a bit above the average on this forum.

Also, I remember posting a link to this team earlier in the season who was in the top few in the team value league having taken a load of hits including -36 in GW2, but who was still reasonably competitive in at around 250k in the rankings. Checking back in on him and he has eased off on the hits since but still has 61 transfers and is ranked at 13k. He is well above me and a lot of us on here!! There are a lot of ways to play this game it seems.

I made a few mistakes and did silly hits due to inexperience early in the season and was therefore wary of them, but recently I've been regretting not taking the hit a lot more often than regretting taking it, talked myself out of a hit for Lallana to Ramsey last week for example which would have gained me 9 points.

I'd say with injuries there will be an above average number of hits this week, and I am considering -12 for the first time myself.

thats the thing. when you factor in bonus points, possible extra captain points......... a single player who's bang on form can make up for the point hit... and more....

plus you'll have got in a good player for less spondoolies than the pack. result :)

Hogey007 wrote: »
    disastourous start

Q1 - 1,353,065
    Q2 - 54,285
    Q3 - 67,689
    Q4 - 24,734

Excellent since then Hogey

p.s. seems there was quite a few of us had a shocker of Q1!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,745 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

How's this for steady improvement (well a bit more than steady of late)

Q1. 414,401
    Q2. 204,622
    Q3. 161,052
    Q4. 218

Overall 13,947.

How can I get my stats lads? I went to a league and sorted by quarter 1 but that was only giving my stats for that league.

Lemlin wrote: »
    How can I get my stats lads? I went to a league and sorted by quarter 1 but that was only giving my stats for that league.

Just click into Overall, under Global Leagues header

• Registered Users Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭Hogey007

cheers, yeah did well to recover from such a start to claim myself a bit of money. I blame my bad start on persisting with RVP longer than I should and not getting toure in. oh and I couldn't for the life of me get my captain right in those opening weeks.

Ranking now - 999.
    Highest ranking - GW 27, 294.

Quarter 1 - 376,371
    Quarter 2 - 225
    Quarter 3 - 4,917
    Quarter 4 - 232,519

Quarter 4 has pretty much been an unmitigated disaster. I transferred out Mata before he had two big hauls and Gerrard before he had a big haul against West Ham.

I actually had a great team going until the Cup final and those weeks hit and I had to take out the likes of Yaya for a couple of weeks. I would have been better just leave them in so I've learned that for other years.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

ranking now 10,300
    Quarter 1 130,000
    Quarter 2 370,000
    quarter 3 9,500
    Quarter 4 23,000
    I got off to a decent start was 90k in gw7 but had a disaster in the 2nd quarter thanks to not having yaya, ramsey and coleman. Since xmas Ive been on a decent run and have got to 10k from 300k at the turn of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Dearg81

Also nearly everyone has done better in the 2nd half of the season compared to the 1st.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,329 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Dearg81 wrote: »
    Also nearly everyone has done better in the 2nd half of the season compared to the 1st.

A lot less active players will help with that

• Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

I think a lot of us here started badly as a lot of the players we pinpointed didn't perform. Then some of us were slow to jump on the form players. Plus having 5 centerbacks was in vogue for a month too :pac: Some of us continued to ignore the form players until xmas :o

Then in the second part of the season we picked ourselves up, mostly. Bar a few who continued to ignore Yaya, ok just me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭the incredible pudding

Q1: 69,187
    Q2: 114,218
    Q3: 823
    Q4: 97, 288

Ranking now is 1304, highest was the first week 598,335, lowest was week 31 1,164.
    Very happy with the season so far. It's been pretty consistent, apart from a run after the second wild card that went very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭rosskind

My stubbornness (mainly Yaya) and reluctance to take hits definitely cost me. If you wait one week too long a player could go up 0.6m and you've missed the boat already or else you're compromising another part of your team. A few hits at the start of the season could make a world of difference and you'll probably make that up eventually when you don't have to start tearing up your team at Xmas and beyond. Let's call it an educational season!

rosskind wrote: »
    My stubbornness (mainly Yaya) and reluctance to take hits definitely cost me. If you wait one week too long a player could go up 0.6m and you've missed the boat already or else you're compromising another part of your team. A few hits at the start of the season could make a world of difference and you'll probably make that up eventually when you don't have to start tearing up your team at Xmas and beyond. Let's call it an educational season!

Definitely my plan next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭GillespieRoad

Ranking now: 195
    Quater 1: 1040
    Quarter 2: 12469
    Quarter 3: 208352
    Quarter 4: 6946

I didn't realise how bad 3 was till now, surprised I stayed in three figures ranking during that time. 1 my best owing to Ramsey, Yaya and Coleman. Hoping to have a top 250 finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭GillespieRoad

rosskind wrote: »

Definitely, I take hits sparingly (usually every 3/4 weeks) but if you feel if will benifit in long run- Do It. A -8 at Christmas probably garnered me an extra 40 points than if I hadn't done it. Think of opportunity cost when making transfers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Sooner or Later

Q1 283,722
    Q2 33,633
    Q3 106,863
    Q4 40,543

Current position 10,865
    Best position 10,865

A bit inconsistent

• Registered Users Posts: 42,080 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

How's this for steady improvement (well a bit more than steady of late)

Q1. 414,401
    Q2. 204,622
    Q3. 161,052
    Q4. 218

Overall 13,947.

Much the same as myself Swiper. Currently ranked 59k.

Q1 - 538k
    Q2 - 369k
    Q3 - 197k
    Q4 - 4k

I didn't have the worst of starts, was ranked 41k after GW4. I do regret playing my wildcard when I did though. Tore my team up for RVP against Palace and had dropped to 538k by gameweek 9. With 5 green arrows in a row now I have the momentum to have a very solid finish to what's been a frustrating season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭rosskind

http://fantasy.premierleague.com/entry/247/history/

How can you make 6,000 transfers in a week? :confused:

Advertisement