Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official EPCR Champions Cup Preview Thread - A New Hope

Options

Comments

Leinster
    On its own, maybe not. But when you have three knockout matches in five weekends it puts a lot of pressure on supporters to make ends meet.

Directly after the 6N too...

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Leinster

I don't think that's a strong example. I was there, I think it's a major contributor if anything. Maybe if that game had never happened more people would be up for this one.

Where are Toulon and Clermont fans? There are plenty of them, why aren't they coming across? Is it because they had lots of knockout games to attend? They were at home for every one of these.

Were these Toulon/Clermont fans in Twickenham for the 6 Nations? Maybe some of them were.

I definitely think the schedule is a contributor, I think the major obstacle here is that the final isn't easy for these guys to attend. But I think it would be as difficult had these guys been away from home under the old system for example. I think the biggest contributor is just the lack of interest from neutrals (specifically for this fixture in this location), outside of the schedule very little has changed in terms of the organisation of the knockout stages. Twickenham was s very bad choice IMO, and that was also a decision of the new boys. I think they would have sold 45,000 at least in the Aviva for this which would have looked much better.

Leinster
    I don't think that's a strong example.
    It's the exact same fixture. It's about the fairest comparison I could've come up with!

I could also have pointed to the 2012 HEC final in the same stadium with two teams from Not England playing (though that would not be as fair).

Both examples are worth considering though. What is different this time to make it such a difference?
    I was there, I think it's a major contributor if anything. Maybe if that game had never happened more people would be up for this one.

Where are Toulon and Clermont fans? There are plenty of them, why aren't they coming across? Is it because they had lots of knockout games to attend? They were at home for every one of these.

Were these Toulon/Clermont fans in Twickenham for the 6 Nations? Maybe some of them were.

I definitely think the schedule is a contributor, I think the major obstacle here is that the final isn't easy for these guys to attend. But I think it would be as difficult had these guys been away from home under the old system for example. I think the biggest contributor is just the lack of interest from neutrals (specifically for this fixture in this location), outside of the schedule very little has changed in terms of the organisation of the knockout stages. Twickenham was s very bad choice IMO, and that was also a decision of the new boys. I think they would have sold 45,000 at least in the Aviva for this which would have looked much better.

The schedule has made it even more difficult/expensive/impractical than before for all of these people to attend. (I'm including the stadium selection in the scheduling btw - so I think we're agreeing here!).

A Barrage of fixtures, international followed by European, means the neturals' 'pocketmoney' has been tapped into already. And the fringe supporters have very little time to get organised and get sorted. They're the two groups you need on final day.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,547 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The volume of tickets sold before the finalists are even known appears to be a good bit lower as well.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Leinster
    I don't think that's a strong example. I was there, I think it's a major contributor if anything. Maybe if that game had never happened more people would be up for this one.

So how do you explain that under the old system the general sale tickets were always sold out before the semi finals were even played, but this time they're giving away free tickets? Knowing who was in the final was never the reason for people going and most Leinster and Ulster fans had their tickets to the last Twickenham final well before they knew they'd be in the final.
    Even last year there were over 67000 for Toulon V Sarries and Sarries definitely didn't bring 30000 with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Its a bank holiday weekend here in the UK which I think might actually hurt attendance numbers, a lot of people will be away or already have plans. Otherwise I would have definitely gone to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Leinster
    It's the exact same fixture. It's about the fairest comparison I could've come up with!

I could also have pointed to the 2012 HEC final in the same stadium with two teams from Not England playing (though that would not be as fair).

Both examples are worth considering though. What is different this time to make it such a difference?
    Definitely the best example that is out there, but it doesn't make it such a strong example. What is different this time to make it such a difference? That's exactly what I'm saying in my post. The schedule, the venue.

The schedule has made it even more difficult/expensive/impractical than before for all of these people to attend. (I'm including the stadium selection in the scheduling btw - so I think we're agreeing here!).

A Barrage of fixtures, international followed by European, means the neturals' 'pocketmoney' has been tapped into already. And the fringe supporters have very little time to get organised and get sorted. They're the two groups you need on final day.

Yes, I agree with that. However I don't think it accounts for everything, I think the teams are making a big difference as well, specifically after the way the 2013 final played out.

Maybe the free tickets will make a difference by the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Just be careful with the flights lads, Ryanair are quoting about 100 odd return from Dublin to all 3 London airports.

Cheap option is the sail/rail but that will involve spending some time in sunny Holyhead...

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Leinster
    P_1 wrote: »
    Just be careful with the flights lads, Ryanair are quoting about 100 odd return from Dublin to all 3 London airports.

Cheap option is the sail/rail but that will involve spending some time in sunny Holyhead...

100 seems reasonable for weekend?

True, guess I'm a bit of a stinge when it comes to looking at flight prices...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

It's actually pretty good for a bank holiday weekend with short notice.

We actually had tickets already for this, we'd gotten them on Stubhub at a relatively decent price, but got significantly better seats on the free ticket deal. Can't complain too much tbh.

Leinster
    So the free ticket offer is now marked 'expired' and they've gone back to selling tickets at full price. Ok...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

The final in 2013 was totally different.

Leinster had just won their third in an all irish final when they put the tickets on general sale. I remember a mad scramble to get tickets on here with everyone assuming at least one irish team would make it and the tickets were gone by mid morning. As so many people had already paid for tickets the attendance didn't drop off as a result of the all French final.

The air has gone out of things a bit now with the French dominance. I think this final pairing was expected since the group stages were decided and that put people off in their thousands.

• Administrators Posts: 53,438 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Munster
    I'd say a weekend in London is a lot more expensive than a weekend in Dublin too for the average joe.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

The exchange rate doesn't help matters either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

awec wrote: »
    I'd say a weekend in London is a lot more expensive than a weekend in Dublin too for the average joe.

Definitely not. Although the exchange rate looks bad it is only when you go to england that you see the value of the pound.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Warper wrote: »
    Definitely not. Although the exchange rate looks bad it is only when you go to england that you see the value of the pound.

The exchange rate really screws you if you're coming from the Eurozone at the moment.

The exchange rate is a bit of a killer alright, plus London is a pricey enough town at the best of times.

Leinster
    Travel Q for Saturday:

Is there a need to book rail tickets from Gatwick Airport? It doesn't look it would be any cheaper.

No. Don't get the Gatwick Express, get the train to London Bridge.

• Advertisement

Leinster
    Podge_irl wrote: »
    No. Don't get the Gatwick Express, get the train to London Bridge.

I'm getting the train to clapham junction first?

I'm getting the train to clapham junction first?

Ah yes, of course. Twickenham, not Wembley.

There is no need to book the ticket in advance. There will be a hefty queue at Gatwick but you need to queue to print off booked tickets anyway and it'll go fast enough. You obviously can't get the Gatwick Express so you're fine (most ludicrously overpriced train ever).

Be warned though, the train from Clapham Junction will be absolutely jammers. And will stop about a million times and take 12 years to get to Twickenham.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

What a clusterfcuk

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Leinster
    The final in 2013 was totally different.

Leinster had just won their third in an all irish final when they put the tickets on general sale. I remember a mad scramble to get tickets on here with everyone assuming at least one irish team would make it and the tickets were gone by mid morning. As so many people had already paid for tickets the attendance didn't drop off as a result of the all French final.

The air has gone out of things a bit now with the French dominance. I think this final pairing was expected since the group stages were decided and that put people off in their thousands.

I think you are on the money here - I remember killing myself to get a ticket through a French web site, and it was purely because I had been to Cardiff when Leinster were in the final and felt I HAD to be there. This year I'm not sure I'll even get to see it on TV.

Leinster
    So they're saying that the free ticket giveaway yesterday was a mistake/glitch.

This is just too ****ing funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Greyian

So they're saying that the free ticket giveaway yesterday was a mistake/glitch.

This is just too ****ing funny.

The tickets were accidentally free, and we accidentally advertised those accidentally free tickets....accidentally.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭exiledelbows

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Ah yes, of course. Twickenham, not Wembley.

There is no need to book the ticket in advance. There will be a hefty queue at Gatwick but you need to queue to print off booked tickets anyway and it'll go fast enough. You obviously can't get the Gatwick Express so you're fine (most ludicrously overpriced train ever).

Be warned though, the train from Clapham Junction will be absolutely jammers. And will stop about a million times and take 12 years to get to Twickenham.

There's a desk selling tickets in the baggage claim area which is usually much quieter than in the station.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

Got E-mail this morn. offering two for one tickets using code- EUROCLUB 15 .

Luckily for me the tickets I paid over 200 euro for dropped through the letterb0x last week.

I mean, who wants free or two for one offers when you can pay full whack!

Lol, nope not bitter ,no way hose ,no sireeee...aaaaaaarrrrrrghhhhhh!

Feel better now.

Hope the above code might be of some use for anyone (mug,lol) thinking of buying tickets.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Rugby World Cup are advertising a two-for-one offer in their direct marketing email today.

EDIT:post above explains all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Leinster
    Lucy8080 wrote: »
    Got E-mail this morn. offering two for one tickets using code- EUROCLUB 15 .

Luckily for me the tickets I paid over 200 euro for dropped through the letterb0x last week.

I mean, who wants free or two for one offers when you can pay full whack!

Lol, nope not bitter ,no way hose ,no sireeee...aaaaaaarrrrrrghhhhhh!

Feel better now.

Hope the above code might be of some use for anyone (mug,lol) thinking of buying tickets.

After seeing them for free yesterday I have decided that the only way I'll go is if I can get tickets for free. Looks like that won't be happening so I'm not going to fork out €100 for flights, another €150 minimum for accommodation, another €40 for tickets (using the half price code) plus whatever train fare required just for that game. That's over €300 plus spending money for a game that doesn't involve my team. No thanks.

Advertisement