Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boating chit chat thread.

1606162636466»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I said that I understand that it's difficult to bear away with a powered up main.

I'm repeating myself here, but...

I don't understand why the boat stood upright rather than heeling more when bareing away with a sheeted in main.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭POBox19

As I see it, in the photos, 2Farr was very late in bearing away to avoid Headhunter. In the first few shots you’ll notice her wake coming off her starboard quarter. She’s on the opposite course and tack to Headhunter and sailing downwind. With all her crew on the weather rail 2Farr is now leaning to windward and too close to Headhunter and so the masts clashed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Generally speaking am I right in thinking that if you are close hauled and bare away without easing the sails, the boat will heel extremely to leeward?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Ferris

At a guess I’d say 2Farr was trying to get out of there and left it way too late and had to come right off the breeze to do so hence the rig was more upright.

Maybe the thought they were clear of HH and then realised they wouldn’t make it. Perhaps the main got stuck earlier when she was more on the breeze. The power in the main on these boats means they will not bear away without easing the main. The rudder on 2Farr is plenty big but it doesn’t matter.

Just bad luck unfortunately for HH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

If you are close hauled and can bear away, the boat will come upright.

Good protest decision. I co-owned a fractional rig half-tonner for several years, back before they were allowed to be modified by an in-fill piece between the rudder and the fin keel. That was done to add/aid directional stability. They were highly skittish downwind in a following sea as the rudder often was half out of the water. Similarly, close hauled the power of the mail could lay the boat over, minimizing the ‘verticality’ and the function of the rudder. That could be countered in gusts by spilling wind using the main sheet, but if the weather was heavy it could be achieved by reducing the slot by using the traveller and using the mainsheet occasionally. The wind was only 14 knots at the time of the dismasting incident so anything about steering-way is IMO irrelevant.

Supposedly five boat lengths apart before the start of the manouver- 150 feet/45m? That lots of space. 2Farr passed too close when trying to pass astern, simple. Back-wing from Headhunter, or too much weight to weather in a momentary lull could have cause a heel to weather. Everyone – including the helm – appears to have been on the weather side. No mention of anyone calling starboard on the protest docs shown.

Very tough on Headhunter, hope their crew is OK. 2Farr was lucky their crew did not have legs injured on the weather deck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

take that Mr. committee boat…..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭POBox19

Just curious, is that what they call nailing the start?

Advertisement