Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bathroom baskets

Options
  • 02-08-2015 8:00pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭

I just love when a bride and groom have put some useful items in the bathroom. Particularly....deodorant! I find that it is the one thing that I can not fit in my little evening/occasion bag and it is the one thing that I need because of all the dancing I am doing.

So my advice to any b&g's for a bathroom basket is focus on the essentials and don't bother with everything else!
    IF you do want to go with EVERYTHING (but the bathroom sink lol) there are many many sites on the web that list everything.

For what it is worth here is my list (it's ladies only, sorry it's from my experience only, I've no clue what generally is placed in the man's bathroom)
    1. Deodorant - I'd suggest 3 bottles of spray on. I think it'd be cute to put your own stickers on them to make it your own "wedding brand". For example, change Sure to become Sure I do! Or Dove to become Love. OMG I just came up with that sticker idea as I typed and I think it's a winner!
    2. Body spray (for the same reasons as the deodorant). You could put two types - the spray on Impulse type, plus the pump (Victoria Secret) type of body spray. I'd say 3 bottles also.
    3. Plasters/Bandaids
    4. Sewing kit, plus safety pins
    5. Hair clips/bobby pins/straight slides type
    6. Hair bobbins
    7. Hair spray - one big can of Silvikrin should do it.

And that's it! No packs of makeup wipes (seriously why???), no cotton buds, no tweezers. I wouldn't buy anything else and instead I'd use the money for flip flops!

Yes, I love when flip flips are provided, So the more flip flops you can provide the better.

What are your thoughts on bathroom baskets? What do you think about my list? Would you add or take away anything?!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

The missus did this for the ladies at ours. The only thing is that she bought about 30 pairs of flip flops (only €1.50 each mind you) but we are now left with about 20 pairs up stairs, aside from that, the deodorant, hair spray etc went down a treat.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Wtf?

I got married (since divorced) in 1999 and there was none of this nonsense

Seems weddings have gone from a ceremony to solemnise a marriage with a meal to celebrate after, to some sort of ridiculous event
    I know someone getting married soon who for her after part day has boules , kayaking and various games involved

And now op as a guest at weddings wants deodorant provided in the bathrooms!

I am gobsmacked I'm going to a wedding soon and in my bag I'll have a roll on, powder,perfume,and lipstick, I'll wear shoes I'll be comfortable in for the day, and won't need to avail of a bathroom basket

What other event would you attend that you would expect to be babied to this extent

Seriously it's utter nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 15,905 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Someone I know visited a posh hotel recently where the flip flops were in a huge basket by the door from a wedding the day before.

Guess who has lots of new flip flops with the tags still on? The hotel didn't mind, as they had not been taken away on the morning after as advised. Or maybe they just turned a blind eye.

Anyway, why deodorant AND body spray, So many smells going on with the perfume and all that. One or the other I'd say.

Need some paracetemol/aspirin in every room for the morning after. Now THAT is a good idea!!

Stheno wrote: »
    Wtf?

I got married (since divorced) in 1999 and there was none of this nonsense

Seems weddings have gone from a ceremony to solemnise a marriage with a meal to celebrate after, to some sort of ridiculous event
    I know someone getting married soon who for her after part day has boiled, kayaking and various games involved

And now op as a guest at weddings wants deodorant provided in the bathrooms!

I am gobsmacked

Ah it's the little things that don't cost too much! This is the era of high heels, dirty drunken sweaty dancing, plasters, deodorant, safety pins and flip flops. So what.

It can go over the top though I will grant you that.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Unless you have exclusive use of the hotel, chances are much stuff will disappear with non-guests. I do think it's an extra expense and that most people don't really notice -or care.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Ah it's the little things that don't cost too much! This is the era of high heels, dirty drunken sweaty dancing, plasters, deodorant, safety pins and flip flops. So what.

It's complete bull imo from the op post I'd fit everything apart from flip flops in any evening bag

Talk about wanting to be pandered to!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Not a great endorsement of your social circle.

It's complete bull imo from the op post I'd fit everything apart from flip flops in any evening bag

I actually agree with you.

Most people will stay over and have all those things to hand. Maybe they only remember that when they are sober though!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

You think my list is big?! Check this out :):):)
    http://www.mrs2be.ie/wedding-reception-guest-bathroom-baskets/

Not a great endorsement of your social circle.

You could be right there! But to me it's a typical Wedding set up.

That's why I now avoid all but close family weddings like the plague. But even the family weddings are the same madness, but at least I know them :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

Bathroom basket s are a load of crap like other wedding gimmicks.
    It's almost becoming circus like!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭halfback5

The missus did this for the ladies at ours. The only thing is that she bought about 30 pairs of flip flops (only €1.50 each mind you) but we are now left with about 20 pairs up stairs, aside from that, the deodorant, hair spray etc went down a treat.

where did you get the flip flops for 1.50?

amdublin wrote: »
    You think my list is big?! Check this out :):):)
    http://www.mrs2be.ie/wedding-reception-guest-bathroom-baskets/
    Some of the items there are disgusting, I mean who wants to use lipgloss someone else has used?

Be it a tube or jar, that's gross. Same with combs, tweezers, scissors and lotion
    halfback5 wrote: »
    where did you get the flip flops for 1.50?

Pennys

http://www.primark.com/en-ie/products/category/women,womens-footwear,beach

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭amor3

Ooohhhh.. really considering not doing baskets now! It was never really an important part but just if i got around to picking up a few bits, got baskets but that's it so far, might just stop at that ☺

amor3 wrote: »
    Ooohhhh.. really considering not doing baskets now! It was never really an important part but just if i got around to picking up a few bits, got baskets but that's it so far, might just stop at that ☺

Seriously don't let my opinion stop you, it's 1999 since I was last at a wedding :D, it was mine.

We got the flowers the day before, we didn't have fancy chair covers, table dressings, favours or anything like that.

Bathroom baskets weren't even in existence then, and at the end of the night everyone went home, and were never seen in the same place again :)

These days it's weekend long affairs, with fancier and fancier table centre pieces, favours for the guests, and now it appears bathroom baskets.

I may be going for round two of marriage in years to come, it'll be a quick ceremony at the registry office, and a lovely meal in a very nice restaurant for a small group of loved ones. So I'm a cranky old mare when it comes to these things

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Who pissed in your cornflakes today???

It's a lovely idea, and it's a little way of letting the guests know that the bride and groom were thinking about them when planning the day.

OP, if I remember correctly, this is what I had in mine

Ladies:
    Deodorant
    Hairspray
    Hair pins
    Cotton buds
    Breath spray and mints
    Stain remover wipes
    Clear nail varnish
    Emery boards
    Lip balm
    Safety pins
    Hand cream

Men's
    Deodorant
    Hair gel
    Breath spray and mints
    Stain remover wipes

It didn't cost much at all. Penneys is cheap as chips for these things, and I would pick up few bits and pieces in Boots every so often throw something in if it was free under the 3 for 2 offers.

Who pissed in your cornflakes today???

It's a lovely idea, and it's a little way of letting the guests know that the bride and groom were thinking about them when planning the day.

No one I genuinely think it's pure nonsense, and just more theatre to add to the day.

If I were to attend a wedding with this, I'd seriously think it was ridiculous

These are adults you are pandering to not children.

Do people not just have flat shoes in the car or if staying over, the room? Antiperspirant should mean people don't need deodorant , unless they are skanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

I managed to find the best plain black clutch in monsoon for €7 which held purse, lipstick, deodorant, flat shoes amongst other things. Win win.
    Not worth the expense at all.
    Apparently you get a bigger uptake on the flip flops if you keep them near the dance floor. Just in case there's anyone who has bought a dose load of them and is worried about being left with them 😉

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I'd generally reapply deodorant on a night out. But generally I have a bigger bag with me.

I see it as a nice touch that it's provided as my small bag won't take a big deodorant.

I think providing breath freshener etc is going out of your way (see my suggested list on first post) but each to their own!

Hey anyone like my cute rebranding idea for the bottles???!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I first went to a wedding in the early 2000s with this idea, and I thought it was great. And I still do.

Just keep it simple. No need for too much in the basket. But, speaking for myself, as the world's worst women for packing makeup, I like to find a deodorant in a bathroom.

dudara wrote: »
    I first went to a wedding in the early 2000s with this idea, and I thought it was great. And I still do.

Just keep it simple. No need for too much in the basket. But, speaking for myself, as the world's worst women for packing makeup, I like to find a deodorant in a bathroom.

I suspedt my aversion to this is that I tend to have absolutely everything I need in my bag. That in itself spins out from my travelling a lot with work, and in my early days, assuming a hotel would provide basic toiletries like toothbrush/paste and body wash/shampoo.

Then I got sent to a place where the hotel didn't provide it.

Ever since, anytime I go anywhere strange for a day or more, I've everything I need. For a wedding I'd have antiperspirant, perfume, lipstick, and powder in my bag, and in the car/case I'd have a sewing kit/ pins/flats etc.

So thinking about it, unless you are a little OCD as I am in relation to being prepared for where you are going to, I can see why they might be seen as a good idea. Lip gloss though is just a big much hygiene wise.

Different strokes I guess :) If I do get married again, we won't be having them :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I didn't do it for my own OP, but I've been to weddings with them and they can be useful. I used a needle and thread & scissors anyway repairing a tear in someone's dress before at a wedding. I prefer the ballet flats in various colours to flip flops myself.

I love the rebranding idea! Do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Just as an aside, please reconsider the body spray especially stuff like Impulse. This whole business of spraying chemicals around to change smells (personal or buildings) causes problems to increasing numbers of people. I know someone who has to leave any venue where someone has doused them-self - and even the build up of more subtle perfumes in an enclosed area means she cannot stay long - it really makes her ill.

I do not have medical problems with it, but I too find the smell of sprayed on perfume quite disgusting. All you need is the merest suggestion of perfume, at most.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

hahah love I Arbiter of Good Taste just say what you feel..

Love the baskets now I have to say tis great if you feel like you have forgotten anything..

I have most of what is said above and getting some afro combs for the ladies basket, and also planning to make up just a little spray stain remover.. I am sure there is one with baking soda or something in it...

Oh and clear nail polish for any runs in the tights..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,270 ✭✭✭✭fits

I didnt bother with bathroom baskets. Its another unnecessary expense imo.

Milly33 wrote: »
    hahah love I Arbiter of Good Taste just say what you feel..

Love the baskets now I have to say tis great if you feel like you have forgotten anything..

I have most of what is said above and getting some afro combs for the ladies basket, and also planning to make up just a little spray stain remover.. I am sure there is one with baking soda or something in it...

Oh and clear nail polish for any runs in the tights..

Good idea on the clear nail varnish.

Re. Afro combs. Do you and your friends have afro hair? Are you expecting many ladies with 'fros at your wedding. Would you not just get just regular straight combs/hairbrushes?

No no afros here but they are great for curly hair so they are.. Or if lets say you wanted to put some volume into your hair they are great for holding bathes of hair up and spraying underneath..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

I wouldn't bother with combs at all. Most people won't share a comb with someone else. Ditto lip balm, mouth wash (unless you're providing cups) etc. hand cream is often provided in hotel bathrooms so check that. I've always thought flip flops were a bit pointless. It's impossible to dance in flip flops.

A nice basic basket in the bathroom is a great addition. I've used them a lot. There's no need to go to huge expense or trouble.

Hair - hairspray, grips, bobbins
    Freshen up - spray anti-perspirant, chewing gum
    Disaster repair - plasters, baby wipes, cotton buds, safety pins.
    Sanitary - tampons & pads

Done.

• Advertisement

oh another is those oil blotting sheets you see for you face...yeah you can go mad or not depends as per it all what you fancy yourself

Advertisement