Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foreign-sounding names and discrimination MERGED

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

SWL wrote: »
    I have a very foreign name, never stopped me from getting on, there appears to be a ever growing numbers of victims in society just get on with it.
    If people are actually in with less of a chance of getting a job because of their name being "foreign", then "victimhood" is hardly what's stopping them from getting ahead...?
    RaverRo808 wrote: »
    employers especially in a recession are going to give preference to natives,mainly because they want to look after their ow n,its not racist its just human nature
    Well according to this report, it's always been happening, not just during the recession... yet there were still the "they're takin' our jobs" cries.
    most people on the dole I know are definatley in need of it,and I find this attitude 'most people on the dole are spongers' is a new form of discrimination
    ... except non Irish people on the dole?
    Aren't the results based on this:

"Between March and October last year, researchers sent out pairs of matched CVs in response to 240 job adverts in administration, lower-level accountancy or in retail. The two fictitious applicants had equivalent qualifications, skills and expertise – all gained in Ireland – but while one candidate had an Irish name, the other was Asian, African or German.

Both candidates were invited for interview on 23 occasions. In 55 cases, the Irish names were called for interview and the foreign-named applicants were rejected, while in just 15 cases, the minority names were called and the Irish-named were ignored."

From the same article...
    Yeah, I clarified that earlier - studies can be used to prove anything. I'm wagering if people with "foreign" names are less likely to get a job, it's simply because they are likely to be outnumbered by those with "Irish-sounding" names.
    greendom wrote: »
    I don't know about the others but I'm just concerned with fairness, that people be judged on merit, not nationality or any other discriminatory grounds.
    What about a person who applies for a job here from, say, Greece (not living here) and it narrows down to just that person and an Irish person and both are pretty much the exact same in terms of experience, qualifications, competence etc... would you consider it unfair for the Irish person to be chosen? I personally wouldn't - it just seems practical.
    soups05 wrote: »
    this is so funny, i had a CV handed in by a young student the other day and she asked if i could glance over it to check it before passing onto the boss.

the english was perfect( spells better than i do anyway) but in the area for nationality she had put irish. as she was a chinese girl from the local collage and i knew her from coming into the shop i asked why she had put that on the CV.

i live in ireland for 3 months, i is irish now. pay taxes when work.i is irish.

poor girl,
    Perhaps she felt it would make her job search easier?
    _Nuno_ wrote: »
    To me, anyone who thinks foreigners should be discriminated on the grounds of nationality when looking for a job is a xenophobe.
    It's not really a case of "foreigners should be discriminated on the grounds of nationality" more a case of "Irish people should be prioritised" and depending on the case, that's not always unfair.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

greendom wrote:
    And as to Obama - has he announced that only native Americans can apply for these American jobs ? Think not
    LOL
    that's only 1.3% of the population

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Dudess wrote: »

What about a person who applies for a job here from, say, Greece (not living here) and it narrows down to just that person and an Irish person and both are pretty much the exact same in terms of experience, qualifications, competence etc... would you consider it unfair for the Irish person to be chosen? I personally wouldn't - it just seems practical.

Well as an EU citizen the Greek person is just as entitled as the Irish person - but I suppose practicality would be the deciding factor and you would employ the person living in Ireland.

Just as if someone living in Donegal was up against a person from Dublin for a position in Dublin. If everything else was equal I imagine you would give it to the person already based in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

LOL
    that's only 1.3% of the population

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Tony Danza

I don't understand. It says "Both candidates were invited for interview on 23 occasions", isn't that the same number of interviews each?

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Great, there's something else I can blame on my stupid name!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,984 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

They could narrow it down further by seeing how many of those called for interviews were actually related to the head honcho. As things stand, there's more chance of Paddy Murphy being the interviewer's relative than Mbuntu Ndongo (unless the birth cert was completed by someone with dyslexia)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

And that's why, with German CVs, you have to submit a picture of yourself.

Cuts out all this nonsense of discriminating against nationality :P

(German marrying an Irishman with an Irish name. I've took one of your own, will eat all your sandwiches, and I'll take ALL your jobs now, thank you very much. And what can you do? Nothing. Muahahaha.)

(actually, no thank you. In my line of business, you NEED to have a foreign name, cause the 'natives' can't really do my job.)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

galah wrote: »
    And that's why, with German CVs, you have to submit a picture of yourself.

So people are easier to round up the next time yiz decide to try take over ze world?:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

the equal opps people are on mat cooper

they sent 480 similar cvs with forgien/irish sounding names and the irish names were far more likley to get an interview

car crash radio approaching

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Disgusting tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

Less chance of language barrier maybe?

In fairness most CVs don't even make it to the interview.
    Linking nationality with english skills is the equivelant of linking general intellegence with LC results.

Not always fair, but probably justified.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Pete P Peterson

OH MY GOD. A majority of people with IRISH sounding names get inetrviews in IRELAND. Stop the Presses!!!

We're not alone. I was in Spain last week and the amount of people working there with Spanish accents just turned my stomach.

To the flaming torch and pitchfork shop, let's go......

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

reminds me of stories I've heard of women marrying foreign husbands/ husbands with foreign sounding names
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Did the names on the CV's translate to 'Driving Licence' maybe?

Because that guy got himself a pretty bad rep over the past few years.

GaNjaHaN wrote: »

Linking nationality with english skills is the equivelant of linking general intellegence with LC results.

acually as an employer i use lc results to see hard working traits not to see intelligence

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

acually as an employer i use lc results to see hard working traits not to see intelligence

Wanna give me a job?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Is it lets state the obvious day again already??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

So what? It's up to the employer who they want for the job & if they don't want a foreigner then that's their decision.
    It happens all the time so I don't understand why people are surprised by it.
    It's no different to a woman being refused a job because she may be of a certain age & might get pregnant. Or someone with a dodgy address not being considered.
    It's not fair but that's life, get over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

The research team sent pairs of matched CVs in response to 240 separate job adverts. The two fictitious applicants had equivalent qualifications, skills and experience - all gained in Ireland. The only difference was the name at the top of the CVs. Candidates with Irish names were more than twice as likely to be called to interview as those with minority names.

Nothing to do with language skills at all.

• Advertisement

Wanna give me a job?

do you live in mayo

Well I'm hardly a member of the anti immigration lobby but I think people are being a bit too quick to scream "racism!" here. It just looks like some mickey mouse "groundbreaking study" drummed up by the Equality Authority, which can often go on with some major shyte.

It's not even a study that reflects reality anyway - if a job is advertised, there will be far less people with "foreign sounding" names applying for it anyway, seeing as they are in a minority.

I like how it's causing the "they turk our jurbz" brigade to do a u-turn though... ;)

but of the applications they sent, a lower proportion were positivally recieved if they had teh forgien

its probably true and there is a difference between racisim and discrimination

its not racisim that makes the cops annoy me with questions etc at every fackibng checkpoint its discrimination they aren't raciost they are just pretty shure i'm up to something (i'm not )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Resi12

The thing that makes me laugh is we always complaign about foreigners yet back just 200 years ago we were the biggest foreigners in the whole world!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

my company employs a large amount of foreigners and it is such hard work, they dont do anything unless they are told to, no initiative.

they refused to take on extra work, even though 2/3 of the department has been made redundant.

their language skills are awful which again increases everyone else's workload because most of their clients wouldnt deal with them, as they cant understand what they are saying.

management are afraid to say anything to them for two reasons

they cant understand what they are saying

they are afraid they will pull the racism card, so the rest of us are left with an unrealistic case load

RaverRo808 wrote: »
    yeah Im sure times are tough for immigrants,asylum seekers and the like,but they have an option,the boat back to their home country,which can in turn look after them
    Can it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

WindSock wrote: »
    What is a race? (in your opinion)

Monaco grand prix, epic race is epic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭PeterLT

my company employs a large amount of foreigners and it is such hard work, they dont do anything unless they are told to, no initiative.

To bad for you, but it's clearly your own fault that you recruit lazy people... Don't complain here. Probably lack of supervision and fail to give orders and explain to the employees what do they supposed to do.

My last manager came to me and asked how is it possible to improve efficiency and production because he knew I have a engineering background...
    their language skills are awful which again increases everyone else's workload because most of their clients wouldnt deal with them, as they cant understand what they are saying.

Again, why these people are in that kind position, where they have to communicate with customers? Can say that person responsible for that (like supervisor or manager) is more than stupid and incompetent...
    management are afraid to say anything to them for two reasons

they cant understand what they are saying

they are afraid they will pull the racism card, so the rest of us are left with an unrealistic case load

Well I'll give ya an advice, don't change your employees, change management. Maybe promote some promising foreigner the things will be better I can give you 100pc.

Yeah PFB, I wonder why your employers actually hired people with crap English if they're dealing with the public? Do they pay them less? I'd wager it...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Dudess wrote: »
    Yeah PFB, I wonder why your employers actually hired people with crap English if they're dealing with the public? Do they pay them less? I'd wager it...

Maybe she works for a hearing aid company :P

Advertisement