Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The pub loses its pulling power

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

What a bunch of gob****es, this won't solve any problems in fact it will just stop people going out and end up costing more jobs, in security, club staff, let alone in supermarkets and give them another reason to hike the prices up.

Jesus, young people having a good time? Well I never, I know plenty of people who were wild when younger and there certainly not alcoholics now.

Trust me this won't stop and alcoholic been an alcoholic.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

Vahevala wrote: »
    I haven't been to a pub in yonks.. I can't afford to. If you can afford to get a few cans in the supermarket at a fraction of the price, that is what I will continue to do.

Much more comfortable too :D
    This. I've been able to buy 10 cans of Carling this week for 10 euro and drink them at home...2 pints and some change I would get in most Dublin pubs tbh!

VFI and associated publicians/groups will always complain about this sort of stuff, yet if they finally realised that the country got hit hard in the last few years cash wise, they might lower the prices a bit and thus, increase business.

If they were any slower, they'd be going backwards in time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭Leo Dowling

That whole programme was disgracefully one-sided and almost patronsiing in the way it was put together. If fourteen year olds are drinking cheap vodka and falling off their 10-inch heels then it's up to their parents to sort it out. Instead we get junior ministers trying to make a name for themselves while RTE cheerlead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

"People are now pre-drinking because alcohol has become so cheap".

Er, no, people pre-drink because pubs are so expensive.

Nail on the head there. People learn fast not to be drunk when they approach a nightclub as that increases the likelihood of being refused entry by numbskulled bouncers. Bouncers behaved like stereotypical morons during the boom. A teetotal friend standing next to me was refused entry to a club once because in the opinion of one of these geniuses ''he had too much to drink'' :rolleyes:
    The change in manners these days is something to behold.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 nearyj

The price of a keg is between €100 and €120. Each keg serves about 88 pints. If the publican buys more then his usual amount, he usually gets a keg or 2 free.

Minerals: publican on average pays for one in every 4 crates of bottled coke. Coke undercuts pepsi hugely.
    Splash is made up if a tank of co2 and a tank of syrup. Think its 800 glasses per tank and the tank costs €40.

I don't drink at home but I would go to the pub if the price was lowered. Knowing the cost for a pub per drink makes it all the more frustrating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Absolute horsesh1te on RTE last night:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

hollypink wrote: »
    Oh here we go - "pubs closing down because we are drinking at home". I feel like this is propaganda alright.

Even if it's the only reason, imagine some group who represented restaurant owners lobbying the government about abolishing low food prices in supermarkets because people were cooking at home more.

Trying to make it more expensive to drink at home because they can't compete is pathetic from the pub lobbys.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,647 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

nearyj wrote: »
    The price of a keg is between €100 and €120. Each keg serves about 88 pints. If the publican buys more then his usual amount, he usually gets a keg or 2 free.

Minerals: publican on average pays for one in every 4 crates of bottled coke. Coke undercuts pepsi hugely.
    Splash is made up if a tank of co2 and a tank of syrup. Think its 800 glasses per tank and the tank costs €40.

I don't drink at home but I would go to the pub if the price was lowered. Knowing the cost for a pub per drink makes it all the more frustrating.
    In deference to the pub, add wages, insurance, licensing and premises costs to that.

They need to learn how to run better don't get me wrong, but the raw cost of the keg doesnt paint the whole picture.

can I get a link to the RTE brainwashing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Overheal wrote: »

can I get a link to the RTE brainwashing?

RTE Player?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,647 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Hmm, I wasn't aware they repealed the law on below cost sale. I can see how that might be a problem.

While I am sure pubs are nervous for their lives the video I saw reminded me of so many nights out in Carlow town. Your country still has other problems that go beyond the pub thing.

-Below Cost Law
    -Underage enforcement (and f*ck, think of things for young people to do. all there was to do growing up was drink. Well, sports, warhammer and drink. but mostly drink)
    -Possibly (and logically) an open container law. I live under one currently and it pisses me right the hell off at times, but I myself have roamed the streets of ennis (sometimes during the day) with a spiked litre of coke. It was great craic but I could see how that could cause lots of problems en masse when people turn the streets into nightclubs and we've all seen it.
    -and lower pub prices. close the gap between the can and the pint and you solve the other half of the problem too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Ronan cork

nearyj wrote: »

would love to know where you're getting your figures mate as i need a new supplier! what's the weather like in this fantasy land of no overheads anyway?

i'm not saying there is no room to cut profits by any means but if you think they make €4/5 profit per pint you should get a job in NAMA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

Ronan cork wrote: »
    would love to know where you're getting your figures mate as i need a new supplier! what's the weather like in this fantasy land of no overheads anyway?

i'm not saying there is no room to cut profits by any means but if you think they make €4/5 profit per pint you should get a job in NAMA.

why does a 220ml bottle of coke have to cost €4 - €5 then?

i can go to a supermarket and buy a 2 litre bottle of coke for €2.09, thats about 8 times more coca cola for half the price ye charge in pubs.

and do not use the excuses "staff's wages, esb, tax, rates, etc" tescos also have to pay for staff wages, esb, tax, rates etc"

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

i can go to a supermarket and buy a 2 litre bottle of coke for €2.09, thats about 8 times more coca cola for half the price ye charge in pubs.
    It won't do you much good in a fight though.

If you shop around in the supermarkets you can get that 2 Litre bottle of Coke (brand name Coke too or most brand names) for 1 Euro at times but usually around 1.20 Euro to 1.30 Euro. Theres also other colas apart from the Brand name which are just as good and a hell of a lot cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭mossyc123

Just watching this horsesh!t propaganda on Primetime now.
    Shortall the self-righteous gobsh!te sitting there delighted.

IMO young people are drinking irresponsibly at home because;

(A) It costs so bloody much to drink for the night in a pub.
    and
    (B) Our stupidly inflexible opening hours legislation.

You don't need to fill up on Vodka if it'd cost a reasonable amount to buy a short in a pub and if the pubs/clubs didn't have to close so early.

If in doubt raise the price.
    Lazy governance that punishes everyone for the sins of the few.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

There's another party involved here that need to take some responsibility for pub prices: breweries.

It costs a publican about €1.70 to buy a pint of beer (€1.70 X 88 = €149.6) yet if the multiples can retail a case of main stream beer at cq. €20 with even minimal mark-up they are getting a can for about 80c (€0.80 X 24 = €19.20).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    There's another party involved here that need to take some responsibility for pub prices: breweries.

It costs a publican about €1.70 to buy a pint of beer (€1.70 X 88 = €149.6) yet if the multiples can retail a case of main stream beer at cq. €20 with even minimal mark-up they are getting a can for about 80c (€0.80 X 24 = €19.20).

Just on prices, here's an interesting thing about a certain company in 2010.
    Food (or drink) for thought!
    Drinks giant Diageo has been forced to cut the wholesale price of Guinness to the company operating the bars at the new Aviva Stadium in Dublin after being threatened with a cheaper UK alternative, according to the Sunday Business Post.

In a move that will likely make the average publican exclaim “if only”, Compass Catering has used purchasing muscle to broker the deal by threatening to import Guinness from the UK if Diageo didn’t comply.

A 50l keg of Guinness costs publicans €131.66 but the ex-duty price of the same keg to the on-trade in the UK is €66 – a whopping 50% less. Even allowing for payment of Irish duty for re-importing a keg, this would rise to €99.33, which would still make it more than worthwhile for a large company like Compass to do so.

http://www.taxation.ie/2010/08/drinking-in-the-aviva/

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Ronan cork

and do not use the excuses "staff's wages, esb, tax, rates, etc" tescos also have to pay for staff wages, esb, tax, rates etc"

why does it cost €5 for a 220ml bottle of coke??? don't know where you're drinking to be honest!! i charge 2. if you pay 5 then who's the bigger fool??you or the guy that just got €5 off you? if you go into a shop and see a pint of milk for €10 do you buy it?
    and comparing bars to tesco?? you must be joking

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Biggins wrote: »
    Just on prices, here's an interesting thing about a certain company in 2010.
    Food (or drink) for thought!

http://www.taxation.ie/2010/08/drinking-in-the-aviva/

There you go!

BTW my prices above of €150 a keg was based on an average price for lager, Guinness and Smithwicks is / was about €10-€15 cheaper a keg to buy when I last worked in the trade.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Now if a group of bars could get together, have a chat and set up a body to import drink via the like of the above mentioned "Compass Catering" - they could save a fortune!

Will they? Have they? Nope!

Such is the power and influence of Diageo in Ireland to boot I suspect!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

mossyc123 wrote: »
    Just watching this horsesh!t propaganda on Primetime now.
    Shortall the self-righteous gobsh!te sitting there delighted.

IMO young people are drinking irresponsibly at home because;

(A) It costs so bloody much to drink for the night in a pub.
    and
    (B) Our stupidly inflexible opening hours legislation.

You don't need to fill up on Vodka if it'd cost a reasonable amount to buy a short in a pub and if the pubs/clubs didn't have to close so early.

If in doubt raise the price.
    Lazy governance that punishes everyone for the sins of the few.

Replace "lazy" with "simple minded and incompetent" then I am with you:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Overheal wrote: »
    Hmm, I wasn't aware they repealed the law on below cost sale. I can see how that might be a problem.

People keep bringing it up but I've yet to see evidence of it. The difference between tax on alcohol in the UK and here is about 5%. Off-licences up North aren't going to sell below cost when it's their only product to sell yet are still cheaper than supermarkets down here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

psychward wrote: »
    If you shop around in the supermarkets you can get that 2 Litre bottle of Coke (brand name Coke too or most brand names) for 1 Euro at times but usually around 1.20 Euro to 1.30 Euro. Theres also other colas apart from the Brand name which are just as good and a hell of a lot cheaper.

i know that i was just using coca cola as an example cos pretty much all pubs stock it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

When I was a hotel barman the manager decided to change suppliers so Pepsi

I was told it was cheaper to buy in plus the customer got a larger bottle for the same price
    Win win I thought :)

Have ya no coke?
    What's this now, I ordered coke

You'd think I was handing them a bottle of piss. Weeks of moaning but I doubt many of them could even tell the difference between brands.
    And the bottle was larger so it's better value, thirty ml larger

So the Pepsi was shipped to the function room to be lashed out on weddings and we never bought it again

And now that I think of it I can't think of a local pub that ditched coco cola to get pepsi

No wonder Diageo and Heineken Ireland have massive power, people won't try anything new

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

mikemac1 wrote: »
    You'd think I was handing them a bottle of piss. Weeks of moaning but I doubt many of them could even tell the difference between brands.
    If you had kept one bottle of coke and told them they could have it for an extra 10c I bet no one would have taken it. You could have asked them for an extra 5c and they probably still would have stuck with their pepsi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Oh come on, Pepsi and Coke are completely bloody different.

amacachi wrote: »
    Oh come on, Pepsi and Coke are completely bloody different.

They could serve up a pint of piss to many a drunk customer and they'd be too locked to tell the difference. In fact compared to the beers I have enjoyed in Germany which go down nicely and don't seem to produce the same hangover they might as well be serving up pints of piss. I've been to towns in Germany say the size of Cork where Coca Cola and Pepsi were very hard to find and locals were happily drinking much cheaper and just as good brands of Cola. I think one such brand of Cola there is called AfriCola

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afri-Cola

What's to stop publicans ordering in their stock wholesale from Germany ? How can Diageo punish them especially if they don't need Diageo ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

Just watched Prime Time.

Ok, we all know that abusing alcohol is bad for you. Same as abusing smokes, coffee, bread or whatever.... Nothing in abuse could be any good for you. But then saying that people are drinking more because it's cheaper and more accesible to buy, without a mention to the prices paid in pubs... ah come on!

And a can of beer is cheaper than a chocolate bar now? :confused:

For the record, a week on and i still have cans left in the fridge. Binge drinker!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Ronan cork wrote: »
    why does it cost €5 for a 220ml bottle of coke??? don't know where you're drinking to be honest!! i charge 2. if you pay 5 then who's the bigger fool??you or the guy that just got €5 off you? if you go into a shop and see a pint of milk for €10 do you buy it?
    and comparing bars to tesco?? you must be joking

I personally, (and am sure others on this thread will agree).that, €2 for a coke, or €4 for a pint of coke (well, 440ml) is way way way too much.

If, as some have suggested on here that a coke costs the pub 40c a bottle, that's 500% mark up there Ronan my lad. I wish I could charge my customers prices like that on the products I sell :cool:

A coke should be a euro, two euro for a large one.

There's something seriously, seriously wrong, when the designated drivers 'pint' costs more than the lads pint, whose on his 8th guinness IMO.

Realistic prices for the average Irish punter these days should be this:
    Two fifty a pint of the usual Piss in Ireland (bud, heino etc)
    Three euro for more premium beers.

when the publicans in this country start to understand that they aren't exempt from this recession, (ie, they will have to accept a cut in earnings by reducing prices) they might be able to salvage some of the damage they created by the shameless gouging of us during the book years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

Haven't read the whole thread, but I can't stand this 'woe is me' attitude from pub owners. They have such a sense of entitlement. If they aren't attracting customers, it's because they've been ripping people off for years and refuse to lower their prices like any other struggling business would do. If people prefer to buy alcohol at the supermarket and consume it at home, why the hell shouldn't they? The pubs here in England have the same issue with people preferring to drink at home, so what do they do? They LOWER THEIR PRICES. And still make a profit. I just had dinner and a drink at my local on the way home. £6.75 for two decent enough dinners and the 'beer of the month' at £1.70 a pint. They do all sorts of special drinks offers on weekend nights and the place is always packed. Most pubs in Ireland still insist on charging 5 euro a pint and 8-9 euro for mixed drinks and then they wonder why nobody wants to go there. I went out for a few drinks in Dublin before Christmas and spent an absolute fortune. 5 or 6 times what I'd have spent in London. For a few pints of crappy bog standard beer.

It just makes me angry that all the pubs and clubs were so incredibly greedy during the good times and can't understand that things have changed. People are no longer willing to part with 100 euro to be treated like crap by the bouncers, treated like crap by the bar staff and to be served mediocre and overpriced drinks in crowded, dirty pub. If the owners can't understand that, they don't deserve to be in business. Funny how every other city in the world has plenty of successful bars and pubs, even though their economies are fcked as well.

Advertisement