Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This Week I are mostly reading (contd)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,642 ✭✭✭eire4

I've been reading The Count of Monte Cristo and have been enjoying it a lot - until I reached the point in the story where the focus of the narrative shifts to Franz. Now I'm very bored with this story and struggling to stick with it.

I agree with the others who say hang in there. I just love that book.

Finished a re read of Morgan Llywelyn's The Greener Shore which is the sequal to her earlier classic Druids.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,582 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

In the past week, have finished The Reader, Harlan Coben's Stay Close (which I forgot to finish a few years ago), Coben's recent book The Stranger.
    Today, have started Iain Bank's The Quarry- which I'm enjoying so far.

Has been ages since I've given myself the time to read so many books, back to back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

The Sun also Rises, Hemingway, because I'm going to northern Spain next month. I don't get it. There is no plot, just boring dialogue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

Clear And Present Danger by Tom Clancy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭NOS3

Just started Along Came a Spider by James Patterson.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Leocolceathrar

A short history of sociological thought - Alan Swingewood.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,745 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

I finished Joseph O'Connor's first novel last night, 'Cowboys and Indians'. Very enjoyable book and particularly interesting for those who like me were into music in the early 90s. I've now read all of his novels and while this one is probably down the list of his best it is still well worth reading if you can get your hands on it.
    I'm pretty sure I'm gonna start on Girl in a Train tonight but I might change my mind and pick up something else instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭heathledgerlove

Oh dear. Catcher in the Rye is my well-thumbed favourite book of all time... I'm well aware it's out of fashion atm tho!

In other news, just finished The Sea, John Banville. Brilliantly written, poetry, no, even better than a lot of poetry because it had such an incredible flow; merely the storyline itself was a little inconsistent, consisted of very richly detailed and evocative mundane minutiae of adolescent summer rocked (incongruously) by sudden overblown events. Can't get over the writing though, just aces.

Am reading Beaches now; the only similarity it has so far with Banville's novel is the setting :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

The Statement by Brian Moore

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Belle E. Flops

At the moment I'm rereading a Harry Potter book every second or third book. Just finished the Goblet of Fire. I had forgotten how so much better the books are than the films. JK Rowling's imagination always astounds me.

I've now moved onto To Kill a Mockingbird. I'm about 20% according to my kindle and I am loving it. I love how it's written and it has had me chuckling away to myself at times too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Jijsaw

^ I'm going to do that this summer with the Harry Potter books too once I finish my few library books. I also need to reread To Kill A Mockingbird before Lee's new book comes out.

I'm current halfway through The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August, it's alright, not amazing yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Jijsaw wrote: »
    ^ I'm going to do that this summer with the Harry Potter books too once I finish my few library books. I also need to reread To Kill A Mockingbird before Lee's new book comes out.

I'm current halfway through The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August, it's alright, not amazing yet.

I think the light house are doing to kill a mockingbird in Sept for cinema book club.
    I'd love to 're read Harry Potter I just have no time at the mo. And about 50 books in the pile behind my bedroom door to be read.

I didn't like Harry August. Let us know what you think at the end.

I'm about 80 pages into the Silkworm. Its good, but at the moment I just have no time so it will probably take me a month to read it!!!

SarahBM wrote: »
    I'd love to 're read Harry Potter I just have no time at the mo. And about 50 books in the pile behind my bedroom door to be read.

That's the exact same with me,I have about 40 books in a pile in the sitting room and then I get 6 more out of the library :o

And will do with Harry August!

That's the exact same with me,I have about 40 books in a pile in the sitting room and then I get 6 more out of the library :o

And will do with Harry August!

Harry August divides opinion certainly. I loved it so much that I went out and spent 18e on her new book ' Touch' which was rubbish.
    I'm moving through the girl on the train quickly enough but can't decide whether or not I like it. It's an easy read though so that's no bad thing.
    Bought Harvest today and will move onto that next.

I'm moving through the girl on the train quickly enough but can't decide whether or not I like it. It's an easy read though so that's no bad.

I read this last week and I still don't know if I liked it or not.

Finished a re read of Morgan Llywelyn's 1999 the final book in her excellent Irish century series.

Finished The Statement by Brian Moore ... brilliant!

Now it's on to Wanting by Richard Flanagan

Finished To Kill a Mockingbird. Absolutely loved it, I couldn't put it down.

Straight after, I moved onto Viktor Frankl's 'Man's Search for Meaning'. He was a psychiatrist who survived Auschwitz and this is his look at the 3stages a person went through in the concentration camp and what gave some of them the will to survive. It was a very interesting book, the first section in particular, especially because I visited Auschwitz and Birkenau the day before yesterday so that visit is very fresh in my mind and will stay with me for a long time.

Now Moving onto A History of the World by Andrew Marr.

SarahBM wrote: »

I didn't like Harry August. Let us know what you think at the end.

I finished it this morning- very anti-climatic ending I thought, I just read the last couple of pages and thought "that's it?". However it did improve in the last 100 pages which bumped it up from 2 stars to 3 stars but I wouldn't read it again.

Now I'm onto 'Jack Kerouac: A Biography' by Tom Clark, I'm a big Kerouac fan (and fan of 'Beat' writers in general) so this should be enjoyable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

I finished it this morning- very anti-climatic ending I thought, I just read the last couple of pages and thought "that's it?". However it did improve in the last 100 pages which bumped it up from 2 stars to 3 stars but I wouldn't read it again.

I agree, the last 100 kind of redeemed it a small bit, but not enough to make up for the slog in the middle. I can see someone taking the idea of it and perhaps making a tv mini series out of it.

Just starting on I Know This Much Is True by Wally Lamb

Callan57 wrote: »
    Just starting on I Know This Much Is True by Wally Lamb

I just bought that a couple weeks ago at charity shop! Going to wait till I've the few books I'm in finished till I start it, it's quite a tome.

Just started Amongst Women. Tried years ago and it didn't appeal, but now I really like the bare-bones style.

Finished a re read of Jim Maher's biography of Harry Boland. Very interesting read although it really is only a biography of Bolands role in the independance movements key years from just before 1916 to his death in 1922.

I finished that Girl on the Train recently, can't for the life of me see what all the fuss was about. I don't read much mass market fiction but when I do read these huge best sellers I can usually see why they appeal to so many people. In this case I just don't get it. It was a very mediocre thriller, nothing in the book pointed to the way it ended. Disappointing overall but readable, I won't say terrible.
    Started Harvest by Jim Crace now.

I just bought that a couple weeks ago at charity shop! Going to wait till I've the few books I'm in finished till I start it, it's quite a tome.

Just started Amongst Women. Tried years ago and it didn't appeal, but now I really like the bare-bones style.

Agree, at nearly 900 pages it is a bit of brick but it's actually very quick reading. I'm flying though it & I only had train time & lunch time to read so far today.

Amongst Women is super, I just love McGahern's style and the sheer beauty of the writing. Have you see the TV version with Tony Doyle as Moran? He inhabited the part IMHO :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Just finished Mary Wesley's The Camomile Lawn. It's a strange book, I can't say I disliked it but I didn't love it either.
    It's got no real plot and is basically reminiscences of an extended family, set during WW2 and flashing forward to the 1980s when they are all headed to the funeral of one of the protaganists.

I suppose the surprising thing is the liberal mind of Mary Wesley who wrote the book in her 70s having been born in 1912. It would appear that morals were thrown to the wind during the war and blood relationships made no difference. None of the characters were particularly likeable and some were downright nasty.

Now on to Anne Tyler's A Spool of Blue Thread.

Callan57 wrote: »
    Agree, at nearly 900 pages it is a bit of brick but it's actually very quick reading. I'm flying though it & I only had train time & lunch time to read so far today.

Amongst Women is super, I just love McGahern's style and the sheer beauty of the writing. Have you see the TV version with Tony Doyle as Moran? He inhabited the part IMHO :)

I've not seen the adaption no, I'll check it out when I've finished the book lest it colour my imagination! I meant to do the same with Farrell's Troubles that I read recently also, haven't gotten round to watching the film yet though. I liked the book though found it a little disjointed; but very evocative of tensions arising from the rural agitation of the War of Independence / decline (literally) of the Big House

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Just finished The Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham, absolutely loved it. Would appreciate recommendations on his other work if anyone has any insight to offer.

Will start on Heart Shaped Box by Joe Hill tonight. Love his father's work and have heard good things about this.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement

Started Go Set a Watchmen yesterday and just after finishing it. I was so disappointed in it. After loving To Kill a Mockingbird last week, I wish I hadn't bothered reading it.

About to start Republic of Thieves by Scott Lynch. It's the 3rd book in the Gentlemen Bastards series. I adored the other two books so I'm looking forward to this.

I've put David Copperfield on hold because I started losing interest in it, but I will get back to it. I'm also still dipping in and out of A History of the World by Andrew Marr.

Advertisement