Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This Week I are mostly reading (contd)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Finished The Lost Child by Caryl Phillips - an intriguing & satisfying read.

Next is Ravelstein by Saul Bellow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

About two weeks ago I read The Martian by Andy Weir. Haven't disliked a book so much in so long!

The protagonist had zero personality, and mostly made teenage jokes. The rest of it was boring technical information that bored the absolute hell out of me. The rest of the characters also had the same personality (that is, zero personality) and they all began to blur into one and the same by the end.

Finishing it was the greatest relief I've had.

And now I'm reading To the Lighthouse!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Finished my long overdue re-read of Sebastian Barry's 'A Long Long Way' last night. To those who haven't read it I urge you to do so, it has particular resonance now with the upcoming 1916 celebrations. It is surely right up there with the best books written about any war, absolutely powerful, the description of the western front is superb.

Will probably delve into my collection of sports books tonight for something a bit lighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

I finished A Dance With Dragons by George R.R. Martin. It was an improvement on the previous book, A Feast For Crows.

Now I'm halfway through Charlie And The Great Glass Elevator by Roald Dahl.

Censorsh!t wrote: »
    About two weeks ago I read The Martian by Andy Weir. Haven't disliked a book so much in so long!

The protagonist had zero personality, and mostly made teenage jokes. The rest of it was boring technical information that bored the absolute hell out of me. The rest of the characters also had the same personality (that is, zero personality) and they all began to blur into one and the same by the end.

You didn't like it then?? :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

Reading the Finkler Question. Enjoying it so far, there have been a few snort out loud moments!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,930 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Reading "The Other Side of the Bridge" by Mary Lawson. It's about two boys growing up in rural Canada, one, Arthur, in the 30's and one, Ian, in the 60's. Their stories overlap when Ian comes to wor on a grown up Arthur's farm.

I usually hate stories that jump between characters POVs or jump around through time, or both, but occasionally it works really well and I have to say I'm loving it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭minnow

I just finished The Yiddish Policemen's Union. Great read, very funny and clever, although it could have been 50 pages shorter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

Callan57 wrote: »
    You didn't like it then?? :)

Bloody loved it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,642 ✭✭✭eire4

Finished a re read of Morgan Llywelyn's 1972 which chronicles the growth of Ireland through to the beginings of the troubles seen through the eyes of Barry Halloran whom we were introduced to in 1949.

• Advertisement

eire4 wrote: »
    Finished a re read of Morgan Llywelyn's 1972 which chronicles the growth of Ireland through to the beginings of the troubles seen through the eyes of Barry Halloran whom we were introduced to in 1949.

Practically every single one of your posts in this thread has been a reread of the same author. Do you not read anything else?

Practically every single one of your posts in this thread has been a reread of the same author. Do you not read anything else?

I think if you go back far enough you will see that is not indeed the case. But certainly yes I have been on a Morgan Llywelyn run. She is a great writer of historical fiction and one of my favourite authors.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

There are so many books I would love to re read but there just isn't enough time and I have so many books to read!!!
    I am still not finished the Talented Mr Ripley. Just haven't had the time :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

I think the internet didn't exist the last time eire4 read a book for the first time, some day I'm gonna open this thread to see he's read a new book and I'll have a huge smile on my face:P

I've only ever re-read my very favourite books and have never enjoyed a book nearly as much the second time around.

I'm tempted to read the girl on the train but my wife read it first when I got it and she wasn't at all impressed. Should I go for it??

I've only ever re-read my very favourite books and have never enjoyed a book nearly as much the second time around.

The only books I've re-read are Great Expectations, Emma, Catcher in the Rye and How Many Miles to Babylon.

I enjoyed GE and Emma much more the second time round but I think maybe I was a bit too young when I read them the first time, all that wordy language was too much for me.

HMMTB I read first at school so the second time I read it I was able to just enjoy it and not be thinking about it in terms of how to answer exam questions.

Catcher in the Rye was a funny one, and I think this issue may have come up before, the first time I read it I was in my early teens and thought Holden was super cool. The second time I read it, early 20's, I thought he was a massive tool and it was a completely different experience.

All of my re-reads have had a pretty hefty chunk of time between 1st and 2nd readings.

The Virgin Blue by Tracy Chevalier

I think the internet didn't exist the last time eire4 read a book for the first time, some day I'm gonna open this thread to see he's read a new book and I'll have a huge smile on my face:P

I'm tempted to read the girl on the train but my wife read it first when I got it and she wasn't at all impressed. Should I go for it??

Hang in there Swiper I will get there. I hand a whole shelf full of new books I have bought over the last couple of years but haven't read at all yet:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

Catcher in the Rye was a funny one, and I think this issue may have come up before, the first time I read it I was in my early teens and thought Holden was super cool. The second time I read it, early 20's, I thought he was a massive tool and it was a completely different experience.

All of my re-reads have had a pretty hefty chunk of time between 1st and 2nd readings.

I was the exact same with Catcher, hated Holden the second time round. Was the same age as you were for both readings too.

I reread a lot of children's books fairly regularly, stuff like Roald Dahl and Joan Aiken and Alice in Wonderland, as well as Terry Pratchett and Harry Potter, mainly because I fly through them. But there are so many more books I haven't read before so I don't do much rereading.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Leocolceathrar

Making Minds and Madness - from hysteria to depression- by Mikkel Borch-Jacobsen

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭minnow

"The Book of Evidence", John Banville. I'm re reading after 15 years.

• Advertisement

minnow wrote: »
    "The Book of Evidence", John Banville. I'm re reading after 15 years.

I couldn't finish it. I hated it. I cannot tell you why exactly, but I just did. I may go back and read it in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I'm reading I am Pilgrim and to be honest, I'm not getting what all the fuss is about. It's badly-written, clichéd, slightly racist US propaganda.

SarahBM wrote: »
    I couldn't finish it. I hated it. I cannot tell you why exactly, but I just did. I may go back and read it in the future.[/QUOTE

I wasn't a fan of that one either. So swiper will be very happy to know I won't be re reading that one:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Went to the cinema on Sunday night to see Jurassic World. There was a trailer for a new movie called "The Martian", which looked pretty cool. I googled it when I got home and found out it was originally a book. Bought it and downloaded it on my kindle last night.

I read 51% of it in one sitting. I could not put it down. Was fairly knackered today but it was totally worth it. The last time I binge read a book like that it was Sphere or maybe the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I can not recommend it enough.
    Censorsh!t wrote: »

And now I'm reading To the Lighthouse!

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 45,553 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I've been reading The Count of Monte Cristo and have been enjoying it a lot - until I reached the point in the story where the focus of the narrative shifts to Franz. Now I'm very bored with this story and struggling to stick with it.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I've been reading The Count of Monte Cristo and have been enjoying it a lot - until I reached the point in the story where the focus of the narrative shifts to Franz. Now I'm very bored with this story and struggling to stick with it.

I really enjoyed the beginning and end of Monte Cristo. The middle drags on a bit.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

I agree but stick with it!!!

I finally finished the Talented Mr Ripley and I have to say I really enjoyed it. I thought it was very different from the film.
    I'm not sure what to read next. Maybe the Silkworm or Wool.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

SarahBM wrote: »
    I'm not sure what to read next. Maybe the Silkworm or Wool.

I'm just finished The Silkworm and while I liked it I thought The Cuckoo's Calling was better. I don't know whether it was just that I wasn't in the right frame of mind or whether it was the writing but I kept getting the characters confused towards the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Leocolceathrar

Just finished:

Madness explained by Richard P. Bentall. Very good and informative read!

• Advertisement

Those Who Save Us by Jenna Blum ...... 25% into it & really loving it.

Advertisement