Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

It is announced that Ireland WILL hold referendum on EU fiscal compact treaty

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Pacifist Pigeon

If we vote 'no' and are forced to vote again until there's a 'yes' vote, surely it'll prove to people that there is a problem with our modern democracy. I mean Nice, Lisbon and possibly this too? What more proof do people need to get to understand that we need a revolution.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 410 ✭✭_Gawd_

If we do send back a no vote, what are the implications?

The implications of a NO vote means that we go back and start again, from scratch with our sovereignty in tact.

The implications of a YES vote means we never again have any say over our economic sovereignty.

VOTE NO! We may have nothing, but at least we can rebuild and not have other countries implementing taxes on us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

bijapos wrote: »
    Its not Kennys choice as to whether a referendum is held or not, its a constitutional matter which is above any elected politician or government.
    Yes it is. He is free to accept or reject the advise of the AG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

flanzer wrote: »
    I've heard the government are hiring Robert Mugabe as the special advisor to this campaign

nope he was too expensive.... damn germans forcing budget cuts on us.

our government are still waiting for the royalites payout from the prince of nigeria arrive. only then can we afford mugabe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

I don't need to know the question. I will simply be voting the opposite way that the government wants me to.

And this is why referenda are a waste of fucking time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

dvpower wrote: »
    I know.
    If he had ruled out a referendum, you would see it as cowardly too.

Well I see it as cowardly that he is like a lap dog doing everything he's told, at the detriment of the people he's supposed to be representing.

_Gawd_ wrote: »
    The implications of a NO vote means that we go back and start again, from scratch with our sovereignty in tact.
    But would the bailout be intact?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

No to Household Charges:D
    No to Septic Tank Charges:D
    Nobody givs a fcuk about the Fiscal Compact:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

You lot better vote yes

I voted no last time and spent the last three years in a European army and my family were working for 1.74 an hour and glad to get it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,831 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

maybe put posters up saying, So Europe what can you give us:D

Or just rejoin the commonwealth and have a united Ireland.

Imagine the faces on Sinn Fein then. Well you told us to vote NO:D

• Advertisement

smash wrote: »
    Well I see it as cowardly that he is like a lap dog doing everything he's told, at the detriment of the people he's supposed to be representing.
    You think he is being told to run a referendum by outsiders?
    You think holding a referendum is to the detriment of the people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Statistician

And this is why referenda are a waste of fucking time.

All Irish elections are a waste of time.

umm - who will I vote for this time... FG or FF.... Doh!

The bailout is nothing more than daylight robbery.

Private risk - public debt - slavery for everyone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

You think he is being told to run a referendum by outsiders?
    You think holding a referendum is to the detriment of the people?

No, I'm talking about signing this Friday.

Well the bondholders still want their money and we're still part of the Euro, so yes it would!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

Vote 'Yes' first time round, if you don't fancy having to go back to the polls again and again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

His signing the treaty is just indicating that it is government policy to ratify. Enda Kenny signing a document doesn't automatically alter Irish law. Even without a referendum, it would still have required a Dail vote before it becomes law.

Surely if he is actually signing something, this alone has legal implications at European level?
    I get what you are saying about ratifying later - but thats a closing process of something that we have already signed up to?

Enda Kenny signing a document doesn't automatically alter Irish law but it does in European terms legally state that we are signed up to something - when in fact despite this legal (European level) promise to see something through, we might have to further at European legal level, revoke ourselves?
    This could further turn the whole process into a right legal mess thats all!

I would suggest the best course of action is that he sign nothing till the public's wishes has become clear and he THEN has a clear mandate.

The bailout is nothing more than daylight robbery.

Private risk - public debt - slavery for everyone!
    But would it be intact following a No vote?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Lollers

The vote will be put to the people. Twice maybe, until like Lisbon, the public vote the way the government wants.

COYW wrote: »
    Vote 'Yes' first time round, if you don't fancy having to go back to the polls again and again.

Just goes to prove Democracy DOES NOT WORK.

Dictatorships have armies and violence.

Democracies have propaganda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

lets all get giant oars and sit on the coastline to row ireland further away from the eu and it's mess.

• Advertisement

But would it be intact following a No vote?

It wouldn't be intact if we didn't have the money to pay it back.

We don't, of course but these scumbags we elect see it in their interest to pander to the Euro Elites and Corporations. They'll bleed you dry for the multi-billionaires.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

All Irish elections are a waste of time.

umm - who will I vote for this time... FG or FF.... Doh!

Aye, Heaven forbid people might actually live up to the responsibility that comes with living in a democracy and be an informed voter - shure, it's too much like hard work when lazy populist platitudes are so easy to repeat verbatim.

It wouldn't be intact if we didn't have the money to pay it back.
    So do you see this as also indirectly a referendum on the bailout?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Just goes to prove Democracy DOES NOT WORK.

Dictatorships have armies and violence.

Democracies have propaganda.

*cough*

North Korea?
    China?
    Etc... ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Vote yes - We'll have to keep our budget balanced and we'll be allowed access to the ESM fund.
    Vote no - Our governments can still spend us into oblivion and there'll be no European help.

Given how everyone has been giving out about how irresponsible our politicians were and are I don't see why those same people would encourage a "No" vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Statistician

Aye, Heaven forbid people might actually live up to the responsibility that comes with living in a democracy and be an informed voter - shure, it's too much like hard work when lazy populist platitudes are so easy to repeat verbatim.

Yes, and that is exactly the problem. You have just shown why Irish Democracy is a farce.
    In Ireland, people vote like this (in this order):

1. Whatever party their family votes for.
    2. Who they think is going to win. (everyone likes to back a winner)
    3. Who fixes the most pot holes

Consider that Ireland is a one party state (FF/FG), and you begin to realise the whole process is a sham.
    (For the last general election, I read vast chunks of the various manifestos and then spoiled my vote)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Love how eurosceptic Ireland be, now it costs money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

If we vote 'no' and are forced to vote again until there's a 'yes' vote, surely it'll prove to people that there is a problem with our modern democracy. I mean Nice, Lisbon and possibly this too? What more proof do people need to get to understand that we need a revolution.

Do you know what this one is about? If we vote no then other European countries can go on without us.

So do you see this as also indirectly a referendum on the bailout?

That will be entirely up to the Irish people whether or not to pay it back, not of course that we would have any say in a discussion but mass civil disobedience may turn some heads. I don't exactly see this as an indirect vote on the bailouts - they'll get it out of you one way or another. Europe wants more integration as if it wasn't totalitarian enough already. We're slipping back into this authoritarianism we tried so desperately to escape and fought against.

• Advertisement

Biggins wrote: »
    Surely if he is actually signing something, this alone has legal implications at European level?
    Why would he sign something that has legal standing knowing that there is a referendum pending on the issue?
    Biggins wrote: »
    Enda Kenny signing a document doesn't automatically alter Irish law but it does in European terms legally state that we are signed up to something - when in fact despite this legal (European level) promise to see something through, we might have to further at European legal level, revoke ourselves?
    This could further turn the whole process into a right legal mess thats all!
    You're knowledge of European law is clearly superior to mine.

Advertisement