Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Retro Shops/Bargains/Auction Links

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

I stuck up a Famicom Everdrive N8 in the marketplace for a decent price. I got myself a Stone Age Gamer Deluxe N8 for a nice price while looking for a new shell :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭TheStook

I don't think they show up if you search for Pokemon. It's the same with their in-store system. If you go to the Video Games page, click on Nintendo DS and then on Nintendo DS games, you should find it there. I picked up White a couple of weeks ago. They didn't have many copies left though. Usually 1 per store with two (counting the one I got) in Stephens Green.

My Argos has 10 of them, I reserved all 10 to get tomorrow.

Unfortunately reselling them to Cex or on Adverts is the only way I can fund my tiny game collection atm :(

Is what Im doing considered dirty, out of curiosity? I know everyone hates resellers but are there exceptions?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

TheStook wrote: »

Unfortunately reselling them to Cex or on Adverts is the only way I can fund my tiny game collection atm :(

Is what Im doing considered dirty, out of curiosity? I know everyone hates resellers but are there exceptions?

This came up here before and things got heated.
    So, honestly, I don't want to see it discussed all over again.

If you and your conscience have no problem with it then fire away.

Let's please leave it at that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Tomo.Murphy

Knowing Argos though, now that I've bought it the price will go down. I got Dragon Quest VI for €8ish and it's now €6.50, and I got Dragon Quest IX for €6.50 and it has just been lowered to €4.99...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭TheStook

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    This came up here before and things got heated.
    So, honestly, I don't want to see it discussed all over again.

If you and your conscience have no problem with it then fire away.

Let's please leave it at that.

Sorry had no idea, okay thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Doge

Steve SI wrote: »
    I stuck up a Famicom Everdrive N8 in the marketplace for a decent price. I got myself a Stone Age Gamer Deluxe N8 for a nice price while looking for a new shell :)

http://krikzz.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=59

Wow, thats a seriously advanced piece of hardware for the Famicom / NES.

I guess it needs to have a proper FPGA chip to emulate the Famicom Disk System, just like the 1541 Ultimate II.

I wonder if he'll ever do more cost effective verison just for emulating standard Nintendo carts without the bells and whistles.

I also wonder how Krikzz is holding up with the conflict in the Ukraine. :(

waveform wrote: »
    http://krikzz.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=59

Wow, thats a seriously advanced piece of hardware for the Famicom / NES.

I guess it needs to have a proper FPGA chip to emulate the Famicom Disk System, just like the 1541 Ultimate II.

I wonder if he'll ever do more cost effective verison just for emulating standard Nintendo carts without the bells and whistles.

I also wonder how Krikzz is holding up with the conflict in the Ukraine. :(

Yeah its a nice bit of kit. The price is not too bad either really(cost of a few rarish games).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Flaregon

TheStook wrote: »

just sell em on advert at trade in.....that way someone get a cheap sealed game and cex won't unseal a perfectly good sealed game.

P.s I personally think reselling is the way to go, u want rare stuff cheap u need to buy bulk, and u can't keep all the double .

P.s to mod, not looking to start a fight, just giving my 2cents in a calm fashion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Has anyone ever had to deal with an order not arriving from play Asia?

I pre ordered a 3DS game back in April/May and it was shipped on the 19th June but there's no sign of it. I know their shipping times are horrendously long but I just have that feeling that it's not going to arrive.

I pre ordered a 3DS game back in April/May and it was shipped on the 19th June but there's no sign of it. I know their shipping times are horrendously long but I just have that feeling that it's not going to arrive.
    Order legend of dragon like 5 years ago took 6 months, atleasy they ****ed up ad sent me 2 copy's.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

2 copies of Legend of Dragoon?
    You poor poor b@stard.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    2 copies of Legend of Dragoon?
    You poor poor b@stard.
    Were sealed NTSC

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,857 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I've had one order go missing and they sorted me out with another one when I got in touch with them. Their customer service is excellent.

It could be customs have nabbed your order and delaying it. I had a 2 month wait last time an ebay purcahse was caught by customs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Flaregon wrote: »
    Were sealed NTSC

So what you're saying is, the cellophane was worth the price :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I've had one order go missing and they sorted me out with another one when I got in touch with them. Their customer service is excellent.

It could be customs have nabbed your order and delaying it. I had a 2 month wait last time an ebay purcahse was caught by customs.

Could be customs alright. They seem to be intercepting a lot of stuff from Asia recently. I'll give it another week and if no sign it'll send them an email.

Could be customs alright. They seem to be intercepting a lot of stuff from Asia recently. I'll give it another week and if no sign it'll send them an email.

Hmm, has anyone asked them if they have that missing plane? :eek:

Too soon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Too soon?

28lwaie.jpg

Easy now! Point blank machine on dungdeal.
    Bit rich for my blood atm but probably one of only a handfull of cabs I'd buy. Even if the gaff is full!

Too soon?

Bit mean tbh
    Funny though
    But, yes, too soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Donatron

urbanledge wrote: »
    Easy now! Point blank machine on dungdeal.
    Bit rich for my blood atm but probably one of only a handfull of cabs I'd buy. Even if the gaff is full!

Yeah if I was to get a lightgun cab it'd have to be Point Blank, so much fun and the artwork is class

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,264 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Nice looking Point Blank machine. Would definitely lead to RSI if you owned it though :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Point Blank or Prop Cycle would be my two dream machines.

Actually, NAMCO should make a cycling / light-gun game, I'd play that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Yeah, it's a fairly minty looking Point Blank machine. Always loved those games, they're simple, but fun!

One for people in the Midlands!
    There a boxed (bearly, it's in tatters no foam) megadrive 1 in the antiques shop in rathowen for 50e.has 5 boxes games and 1pad +leads.games are standard like streets of rage. Mega games 1 and some stuff I can't remember

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Doge

Someone on adverts is offering a restoration service for gameboys, nice to see something like that:

http://www.adverts.ie/6035803

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

waveform wrote: »
    Someone on adverts is offering a restoration service for gameboys, nice to see something like that:

http://www.adverts.ie/6035803

You'd probably find a clean one for the price he is charging though, maybe I'm being a bit harsh.

Examples http://www.adverts.ie/nintendo/game-boy-color-for-sale/5985528
    http://www.adverts.ie/nintendo/gameboy-colour-4-games/5979556

I sold a gba sp that I replaced the shell on for 25 quid delivered last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Tomo.Murphy

For anyone who is interested in Pokemon, or who picked up Black or White in Argos, Xtra Vision have Pokemon Black 2 and White 2 listed on their website for €9.99. No option to buy it from their website though. It seems to be limited to whatever stock is in store.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭STG.Otaku

Quick peek in Tesco after meeting Tetsuo this morning. Went in to grab some brekkie and also spotted these for €3 each....

3LIdcBE.jpg

So I bought all of them. :D

M9ajSkv.jpg

Master of the Universe

o1s1n wrote: »
    Some really excellent stuff their man! Good luck with Chrono Trigger and Earthbound. Really interested in seeing what Earthbound ends at.

I'd quite like that Super Probotector, still don't have it. Will definitely throw some bids down.

Holy **** :eek:

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Earthbound-CIB-NTSC-SNES-Super-Nintendo-/151359391818?pt=UK_PC_Video_Games_Video_Games_JS&hash=item233db9084a

Jaysus man, I'm just looking at some of your other auctions too. It really goes to show how much good condition CIB snes carts go. I thought I'd be able to get Super Probotector for far less than €70 :eek:

Sticking with cart only methinks...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Earthbound-CIB-NTSC-SNES-Super-Nintendo-/151359391818?pt=UK_PC_Video_Games_Video_Games_JS&hash=item233db9084a

Jaysus man, I'm just looking at some of your other auctions too. It really goes to show how much good condition CIB snes carts go. I thought I'd be able to get Super Probotector for far less than €70 :eek:

Sticking with cart only methinks...

The buyer with Earthbound went mad and he said as much to me. I was worried about that auction, as their was bids retracted and the winner has low feedback.
    Seems okay and the blaise attitude towards the price can be explained by him being a poster on NintendoAge.
    Still worried about actually getting paid.
    Some of the auctions surprised me - Turtles going for more than expected - and some were slightly underwhelming - Zelda and Wolverine.
    CIB SNES stuff has really blown up in the last 18 months, it was always mad before but bargains could have been gotten on a regular basis - my winning of Earthbound being such an example.
    But in the last 18 months it has been harder and harder to get anything and I have been pushed out of collecting cib snes stuff due to limited funds and I couldn't go back to carts after selling all my cart stuff last year which had some really nice stuff - terranigma, X2, Sunset riders etc.
    I moved to NTSC snes stuff and the prices there started to rise but nowhere near as bad as pal stuff but then ebay brought in that stupid shipping policy and customs, which negated any savings.

I'm out of snes cib collecting and retro collecting as a whole pre-GC. I bow out with a heavy heart but the almost 2 grand in sales recently helps but it will be a bittersweet experience lodging it into my bank account.

Hopefully in 2-3 years, I'll have a steady job with disposable income and then I'll be back. And hopefully I won't be kicking myself for selling Earthbound for €600 in 2014 when I could have gotten €3000 in 2016.

Anyone thinking of collecting cib snes stuff, start learning the lingo and skills needed for drug dealing. :D

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Sorry to hear you're out dude, CIB Snes would definitely break your heart. The fact that they're made of cardboard and you risk damaging them when trying to play a game makes it even more obscene!

They really are insane prices now!

I Have FF III CIB and I couldnt bring myself to drop the cash on any other big name CIB SNES games. Even though I would love some its just poverty cart only for me :P

An offer has been made on the Point blank cab aswell :)

Sorry to hear you're out dude, CIB Snes would definitely break your heart. The fact that they're made of cardboard and you risk damaging them when trying to play a game makes it even more obscene!

Yeah it's pure balls trying to open up the mint condition boxes. I just left the carts out completely so wouldn't have to open and close them.
    Cardboard is hard to keep but looks nicer than the plastic cases or cd cases.

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Yeah it's pure balls trying to open up the mint condition boxes. I just left the carts out completely so wouldn't have to open and close them.
    Cardboard is hard to keep but looks nicer than the plastic cases or cd cases.

That's when collecting doesn't become fun any more. Treating your collection with kid gloves (that was a mediocre game by the way). The whole 'value' thing has kind of killed it off for me personally. Look at Hyper Duel on the Saturn for example. In the last year it's near on tripled in 'value'.

Sheer greed will eventually leave people sat on collections gathering dust with artificial 'value' and a resale market that's shrinking with each passing day as more folks realize the utter stupidity of paying 100's if not 1000's for something you could, for example, bung on an Everdrive and play on original hardware for a fraction of the price.

Those CD's will rot one day. Those carts will die one day. Those PCB's will die one day. Unlike a traditional antique, like say a Steiff Bear. How do you restore optical media that's already ruined from disc rot? :confused:

Aside from a few things, and lack of space primarily, I'm bowing out too. I have every Everdrive I need and the original hardware to match it. The optical media is a thorny one. PC Engine CD stuff is staying though! :D

Master of the Universe

It's very possible that we'll end up in a bizarre situation where games are collected for collecting sake only, like stamps. Aesthetically, loads of them still look really nice. Sure we're half way there with the way prices are going and folks hoarding sealed games. In that sense, they'll still hold 'value' as people won't bother with playing them.

The trick is not to get sucked up into the whole 'r@re g@me!!' thing. If something seems stupidly expensive to you, then it probably is. Just burn a CD-R or use an everdrive instead.

I was guilty of this myself for years and am now at a point where I'm sitting on a mountain of stuff thinking 'wtf have you done, you mad bastard!!'

To be honest, like you, I'm thinking about selling a load of stuff. The only thing stopping me at the moment is the regret I get after I sell something!

It's very possible that we'll end up in a bizarre situation where games are collected for collecting sake only, like stamps.

Exactly. There's no real joy in that, aside from some nice limited edition sets of course. Well, not in my personal opinion anyway.

It's why in my case I've always enjoyed collecting the merchandise. Darius Laserdiscs (which will be transferred to digital format to preserve them), books, prints, art books etc. I see much more value (on a personal level) in those items than buying games to sit on a shelf and wring my hands over clutching a set of rosary beads every time I go to open a Super Famicom cardboard box.

It's just not worth the palaver.

It's very possible that we'll end up in a bizarre situation where games are collected for collecting sake only, like stamps. Aesthetically, loads of them still look really nice. Sure we're half way there with the way prices are going and folks hoarding sealed games. In that sense, they'll still hold 'value' as people won't bother with playing them.

The trick is not to get sucked up into the whole 'r@re g@me!!' thing. If something seems stupidly expensive to you, then it probably is. Just burn a CD-R or use an everdrive instead.

I was guilty of this myself for years and am now at a point where I'm sitting on a mountain of stuff thinking 'wtf have you done, you mad bastard!!'

To be honest, like you, I'm thinking about selling a load of stuff. The only thing stopping me at the moment is the regret I get after I sell something!

Sell it all and buy a day with Arnie.

Sell it to me at a good price. I'm only up the road and will save a fortune on shipping :)
    I'll let you visit the collection from time to time :)

Master of the Universe

STG.Otaku wrote: »
    Exactly. There's no real joy in that, aside from some nice limited edition sets of course. Well, not in my personal opinion anyway.

It's why in my case I've always enjoyed collecting the merchandise. Darius Laserdiscs (which will be transferred to digital format to preserve them), books, prints, art books etc. I see much more value (on a personal level) in those items than buying games to sit on a shelf and wring my hands over clutching a set of rosary beads every time I go to open a Super Famicom cardboard box.

It's just not worth the palaver.

And to think you used to be all out sniffing cellophane and traveling to Japan to hold rare hu cards in obscure little Japanese stores :D - funny how perspectives change.

I'm still fighting a horrible inner debate about PCBs. My brain keeps telling me to sell the lot and just stick a couple of hyperspin setups in my cabs.

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Sell it all and buy a day with Arnie.

It's really all leading up to that, isn't it?

I was thinking about buying one of Edward Furlong's combat jackets for T2 which was in a recent auction. I guess if I did, I could squeeze into that and have Arnie wear the Terminator tshirt for the day. Nothing sad about that at all...!
    Sell it to me at a good price. I'm only up the road and will save a fortune on shipping :)
    I'll let you visit the collection from time to time :)

You run the risk though of seeing a grown map weeping in your garden every day asking for it all back :eek:

And to think you used to be all out sniffing cellophane and traveling to Japan to hold rare hu cards in obscure little Japanese stores :D - funny how perspectives change.

I still do!

Though even those Japanese shops have gone crazy now. It's just not worth it any more. Other things in life are needing to be concentrated on, but good luck to the folks who still hold the torch. Fair play to them. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,857 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm trying to get those rare games before they become silly expensive. Kind of annoying that I missed out on a lot of them when they were a decent price because I hadn't a job. Some though have just gone insane. The prices of PAL games and now even US games is ridiculous with many very common games like Sunset Riders, Contra 3 and Castlevania 4 selling for just plain stupid prices considering they are so common. Even more ridiculous is that they can be picked up for around a tenner for the Japanese versions. Castlevania Vampires Kiss for example goes for near 200 but the Japanese version goes for 20-40. The only reason to get the English language one over the Japanese one is collecting purposes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

You're welcome ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

I'm still fighting a horrible inner debate about PCBs. My brain keeps telling me to sell the lot and just stick a couple of hyperspin setups in my cabs.
    Nothing like real PCBs, it's just a nightmare when they start giving trouble which has happened a good 75% of mine :(
    I've still a handfull with problems which I'll get around to someday.

I did that ages ago & didn't regret it at all. If you were strongly thinking of it, consider keeping the ones that aren't emulated well/properly maybe

Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'm trying to get those rare games before they become silly expensive. Kind of annoying that I missed out on a lot of them when they were a decent price because I hadn't a job. Some though have just gone insane.

You know, if you changed a few things in the above, you'd thinking you were talking about the Irish housing market/property 'ladder' circa 2005!

Maybe we'll see a crash...
    Nothing like real PCBs, it's just a nightmare when they start giving trouble which has happened a good 75% of mine :(
    I've still a handfull with problems which I'll get around to someday.

I still get a giddy feeling when replacing pcbs. That's the one thing I'm a bit worried about losing if I switch over to hyperspin. Thankfully I've been really lucky and don't think I've suffered a single breakage yet :)
    Myrddin wrote: »
    I did that ages ago & didn't regret it at all. If you were strongly thinking of it, consider keeping the ones that aren't emulated well/properly maybe

Oooh, one option might be to turn one into an emu machine and keeping the other one for PCBs. Might be a happy medium! :)

If I stuck a hyperspin setup in my hori cab that would clear out a mountain of PCBs.

Would also mean all the effort got into making the Pony a multi PCB setup hadn't gone to waste.

Oooh, one option might be to turn one into an emu machine and keeping the other one for PCBs. Might be a happy medium! :)

If I stuck a hyperspin setup in my hori cab that would clear out a mountain of PCBs.

Would also mean all the effort got into making the Pony a multi PCB setup hadn't gone to waste.

That'd be pretty cool actually. It could even handle a good amount of consoles that are emulated perfectly (perfectly playable) (for arcade type stuff like side scrollers & shmups etc)...leaving the other cab for the real pcb's :)

Well collecting retro games I think is like any other collecting scene, or market really.
    Demand will drive prices up but its not sustainable. Right now there is a huge demand for games, especially "rare" ones. Guarantee if racketboy put out a post about Super Mario Bros carts to be becoming "rare" because everyone is throwing them out you would see a price spike

Retro games really are the cool thing at the moment. It goes hand in hand with the whole "I'm such a nerd culture" that is in the mainstream now.

It really does my head in. But I hope that it has already gone over its peak and is on the decline.

On the whole collecting thing. Can i ask, am i alone in not having ever started collecting retro stuff? I never started collecting retro, I just kept my old systems and added to them over the years. I didnt wake up one day and think it i should pic up a N64 or Speccy or C64.

I mean I was never that into the importing Jap consoles or games when I was a kid. So I guess in my 20's I did start Jap retro collecting after seeing the glory that was Akihabara, but in general I've always just kept the consoles and computers I had as a kid/teen.

Thoughts?

It really does my head in. But I hope that it has already gone over its peak and is on the decline.

If it's anything like Zach Braff's Video Games: The Movie then it wants leading out to a field and shooting. :pac:

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

On the whole collecting thing. Can i ask, am i alone in not having ever started collecting retro stuff? I never started collecting retro, I just kept my old systems and added to them over the years. I didnt wake up one day and think it i should pic up a N64 or Speccy or C64.

I mean I was never that into the importing Jap consoles or games when I was a kid. So I guess in my 20's I did start Jap retro collecting after seeing the glory that was Akihabara, but in general I've always just kept the consoles and computers I had as a kid/teen.

Thoughts?

Yep! Pretty much this. I find the concept of 'retro collecting' a bit mad. I've just never stopped collecting for the consoles I grew up with :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement