Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mad Men Season 7 *Spoilers*

Options
167891012»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

What's this show like on blu-ray? I've no point of comparison.

Watch it on Netflix US to see what its like in HD, the blu ray is a better version of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭wrt40

Good ending as it was, this was some serious product placement which made me go away feeling pretty empty about the whole thing.

A show about advertising ends up being the biggest advertising gimmick ever, and once again on a big show the viewer, who has already paid for the show through subscriptions and advertising, ends up being the subject of an ulterior motive other than to entertain us. I was uncomfortable with the whole Coca Cola thing from the start, then initially came away thinking it was quite a clever ending, but having thought about it for 10 minutes I couldn't help envisioning a load of suits, producers and Coca Cola executives, sitting around a large boardroom table eating prawn sandwiches and planning out how they were going to cleverly dupe unsuspecting viewers with their blatant product placement.

I still have the Coca Cola song stuck in my head. But by god it will be a long time before I ever think of buying a coke.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,881 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Completely disagree, this is one of the few shows that benefits from product placement, it really helps to nail the time period. The whole Jaguar sequence and Lane trying to kill himself in one was spectacular but there were a million other minor products they worked on over the years that really added to the authenticity aswell. I thought the Coke Ad was the perfect music to go out on, uplifting but in a fake and corporate way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭zeffabelli

Thargor wrote: »
    Completely disagree, this is one of the few shows that benefits from product placement, it really helps to nail the time period. The whole Jaguar sequence and Lane trying to kill himself in one was spectacular but there were a million other minor products they worked on over the years that really added to the authenticity aswell. I thought the Coke Ad was the perfect music to go out on, uplifting but in a fake and corporate way.

That coke song is so strong in my childhood memory., it all came back ...Mad Men really was a story about our parents and the world we came into.

I loved it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭wrt40

Thargor wrote: »

the viewers have been Don Drapered. Cleverly done and integrated very well into the story, but there is no doubt the intentions were to covertly raise sponsorship money and to boost revenues for the companies involved (Coca Cola etc).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭Paleface

The guy who really came up with the idea for the Coke hilltop ad worked for McCann-Erickson and his name was Bill Backer. That bears an uncanny resemblance to the name Don Draper in terms of syllables and alliteration.

Sounds to me like Weiner had intended this ending all along and it wasn't just to get an endorsement from Coke!

Paleface wrote: »
    The guy who really came up with the idea for the Coke hilltop ad worked for McCann-Erickson and his name was Bill Backer. That bears an uncanny resemblance to the name Don Draper in terms of syllables and alliteration.

Sounds to me like Weiner had intended this ending all along and it wasn't just to get an endorsement from Coke!
    Exactly, do you think if they had an unlimited budget they wouldn't have been using real companies? Coke is probably still Valhalla to advertising executives these days (even though their recent ads have been pure cack).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

Paleface wrote: »

He also got the idea whilst in Ireland apparently!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

from not drinking coke to close to a year and having drank a bottle recently, I think I have been brainwashed :D Surely good grounds for a lawsuit?

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

What's this show like on blu-ray? I've no point of comparison.

Have all seasons to date on blu ray but really torn after that cluster-fück of a final season whether to buy the final part. I don't have Sky and refuse to get it so all of my recent seasons viewings have been on Blu Ray. It's visually rich and impressive on BR and a full surround sound system, but MM is probably never going to push any system to the brink as it's a dialogue-first show.

Anyway, here's the short review I mistakenly posted in the Film Section. I'm going against the curve here I know but I'm sorry, it was self-indulgent cack (and as a massive fan of French cinema, I've seen enough self-indulgent stuff over the years to know my art from my cack!).

Mad Men Season 7, Part II
    Forgot that I recently also finished this. After effectively 8 seasons (with season 7 being a two parter) I am mad. I'm fed up reading about how clever and witty and prophetic etc. it was and am just plain old angry at having been taken in and invested so much in the series for an ending like that. It was awful, and just plain lazy. I feel so cheated to have hung around for….that. I'm not going to spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen it yet but the last season is even slower than Mad Men's usual lethargic stroll through the 60s, and completely unrewarding for those who endured it. Overall I'd give Mad Men a 7/10, but the last series of nothingness get a 3/10 from me. Still flipping' annoyed at it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Battleflag

Mad Men Season 7, Part II
    Forgot that I recently also finished this. After effectively 8 seasons (with season 7 being a two parter) I am mad. I'm fed up reading about how clever and witty and prophetic etc. it was and am just plain old angry at having been taken in and invested so much in the series for an ending like that. It was awful, and just plain lazy. I feel so cheated to have hung around for….that. I'm not going to spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen it yet but the last season is even slower than Mad Men's usual lethargic stroll through the 60s, and completely unrewarding for those who endured it. Overall I'd give Mad Men a 7/10, but the last series of nothingness get a 3/10 from me. Still flipping' annoyed at it!

It's impossible to satify everyone when ending a series but I personally felt it was a great way to end Don's journey. Each to their own though

Dont agree with any of that, thought it maintained its high quality right to the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I also thought the ending was fitting, you hardly expect him to top himself or have a happy ending, its mad men for goodness sake

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

And you're free to disagree; doctors differ, patients die and all that. You're entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to mine!

I just felt it was lazy and the last season was unnecessarily strung out to fulfill an episode count rather than concentrate on quality. As for topping himself, it actually kinda did look for a while that would be his finale as his life was pretty much falling apart in every way.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Mc Love wrote: »
    I also thought the ending was fitting, you hardly expect him to top himself or have a happy ending, its mad men for goodness sake

The ending was very sad with what happened to Betty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

The ending is brilliant absolutely perfect.I didn't think the final episode was particularly brilliant just a simple wrapping up of everything in the show but the final moments is one of the best endings in TV history up there with The Shield and Six Feet Under.

Overall I appreciated the show more as it progresed and I thought the final season was excellent.

Sad to see the show end it was such an easy and enjoyable show to watch.

Advertisement