Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

‘OCCUPY Wall Street’ protestors on Dame Street

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

I wouldn't disagree. Still, describing it as a movement against the financial sector is very inaccurate.
    Such a conflict can only arise when democratic governments have declared an interest in propping up the stock prices and crumbling balance sheets of dysfunctional financial institutions. Short-sellers have an interest in exposing the "emperor's new clothes" nature of this propping up. This is not about short-sellers vs governments as much as it is about attempts to protect a fiction vs. attempts to expose that fiction to market forces.

Or one could say, an attempt to protect those institutions against market forces vs market forces betting that they'll fail to do so. Are you really claiming that there's some kind of moral action here? Because, no offence, that would be somewhat more than mildly risible.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

Oh really, I hadn't heard anything about it. :rolleyes:

Doesn't change the fact that there is a more appropriate thread for your post.

Well it is in dozens of cities in the US and many around the world.
    Just because you haven't heard of it doesn't mean much, bet there is a lot you haven't heard about.

The thread is called "OCCUPY Wall Street’ protestors on Dame Street" think that its up to the mods re where to post, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

20Cent wrote: »
    Well it is in dozens of cities in the US and many around the world.
    Just because you haven't heard of it doesn't mean much, bet there is a lot you haven't heard about.

The thread is called "OCCUPY Wall Street’ protestors on Dame Street" think that its up to the mods re where to post, thanks.
    Broken sarcasm detector?

Now let's get back to the situation at hand. What we have here are a group of people who more than likely live relatively comfortable lives out on the middle of a busy street camping out in expensive tests without any real purpose or end goal. No sensible person is going to go camp out on the streets to join an aimless protest against the "establishment".
    Exactly, this is a total "down with this sort of thing" protest by people with little to no clue about the real world.
    I'm sure all of the occupation of Dame street will end when it's time to go collect their dole. :o

Broken sarcasm detector?

Sarcasm doesn't work that well with text based communication:

Great posts by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Great posts by the way.
    You've read all 7,002 of my posts? Didn't know you were such a fan; but thank you kindly!

Anyway, I presume that some of these people are "camping" on private property and will be removed before the morning? I haven't gone down to see, but from some of the pictures it looks as if they are not all in public areas.
    Surely there will be some arrests under Section 5 of the Public Order Act 1994.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭EI_Flyboy

It's no one's fault but their own that they are reactive rather than proactive. They should have anticipated that what happened in 2008 may have affected them in later years and they should have protested then when actually achieving a change was possible. Protesting because they "feel the pain" now is just a nuisance. An aimless "Let's all rant together in public" protest without any clear objectives is just an obstruction to other people's day to day lives.

People are reactive, they don't anticipate how implemented changes are going to affect them down the road, usually they believe what the government tells them and they hope for the best. It takes for them to actually feel pain from the failure of these changes before they get up off their holes to protest. Most days of the year no one out of our whole population is bothered to camp outside the central bank. Thirty people who are commited to camping there longterm is a huge jump from zero. It's a small number, they are no doubt joined by more during the day, but it's the first bubble as the pot starts to boil.

Either things get better and they go away or things get worse and their numbers increase. They are there, you can't argue them away and neither saying that they're a nuisance and aimless doesn't change the fact that they represent a much larger portion of society that feels the way they do to either a greater or lesser extent. They're there, only time will tell if they bring about change and if they do, it will be global change.

The thing about derision is it's a double edged blade and there's nothing funny about this situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Ben Moore

It is a strange thing to reflect upon but many of our ancestors died fighting to give this country it's independence and to give us the right to govern ourselves, then DeValera refused to let Ireland engage with the rest of the world which held our country back for decades in an economic sense.

When we did finally engage with the rest of Europe and the world to produce the Celtic Tiger our democratically elected politicians helped the property and banking tycoons run riot over our finances leaving the country in the state it is now.

This protest is against greed and accountability but there is no simple way out of the problem.

If we anger Europe we will have no support whatsoever and will end up falling off its edge and be left with no moey at all to pay for the services we take for granted.

To quote Eddie Murphy from Trading Places
    "Yeah. You know, it occurs to me that the best way you hurt rich people is by turning them into poor people."

Maybe Take your money out of the banks or vote for the people you believe in, democracy seems to be broken but that is not the case. People are not using it properly.

Making noise on the side of a street is like a child having a tantrum because their parents will not let it play with a favourite toy.

Grow up and be more constructive.

Great posts by the way.

I understood the sarcasm fully!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

EI_Flyboy wrote: »
    People are reactive, they don't anticipate how implemented changes are going to affect them down the road, usually they believe what the government tells them and they hope for the best. It takes for them to actually feel pain from the failure of these changes before they get up off their holes to protest. Most days of the year no one out of our whole population is bothered to camp outside the central bank. Thirty people who are commited to camping there longterm is a huge jump from zero. It's a small number, they are no doubt joined by more during the day, but it's the first bubble as the pot starts to boil.

Either things get better and they go away or things get worse and their numbers increase. They are there, you can't argue them away and neither saying that they're a nuisance and aimless doesn't change the fact that they represent a much larger portion of society that feels the way they do to either a greater or lesser extent. They're there, only time will tell if they bring about change and if they do, it will be global change.

The thing about derision is it's a double edged blade and there's nothing funny about this situation.
    Sounds like a lot of empty rhetoric.

If people really supported them, they'd be out there with them from day one. There's nothing stopping anyone. Relatively speaking, going out to camp with a group of like-minded people on Dame Street is perfectly safe. Why isn't the general population joining them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Crazy Horse 6

Ben Moore wrote: »
    It is a strange thing to reflect upon but many of our ancestors died fighting to give this country it's independence and to give us the right to govern ourselves, then DeValera refused to let Ireland engage with the rest of the world which held our country back for decades in an economic sense.

When we did finally engage with the rest of Europe and the world to produce the Celtic Tiger our democratically elected politicians helped the property and banking tycoons run riot over our finances leaving the country in the state it is now.

This protest is against greed and accountability but there is no simple way out of the problem.

If we anger Europe we will have no support whatsoever and will end up falling off its edge and be left with no moey at all to pay for the services we take for granted.

To quote Eddie Murphy from Trading Places
    "Yeah. You know, it occurs to me that the best way you hurt rich people is by turning them into poor people."

Maybe Take your money out of the banks or vote for the people you believe in, democracy seems to be broken but that is not the case. People are not using it properly.

Making noise on the side of a street is like a child having a tantrum because their parents will not let it play with a favourite toy.

Grow up and be more constructive.
    So what would you do?

• Advertisement

Maybe start with a referendum on the matter, the government can't ignore that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

1. The ECB and IMF are here for the forseeable - there is no way around that in the stupid political system we live by in this fundamentally retarded union of states.

2. We're stagnating. In a perfect world we would be leading by example and not living below our means. How the hell is an ordinary joe supposed to be incentivised not to borrow money they don't need when the state is borrowing almost as much as it earns, each and every year?

We need to invest now to get the books balanced again as soon as possible. We need to create jobs. A great way to do this is PPP schemes. Invest in our public infrastructure like roads, railways, waterways and let the private companies foot the bill. This in turn provides jobs and raises the tax take. An ideal place to start is the railways - get the country 3/4 high speed rail lines, spend a billion doing it, employ 20,000 people for 3 years in the process and cut the dole queues by a couple of percentage points. In return for building it, the company gets to operate it, at a profit, with a nominal return to the state in the form of a licence fee. Just an example of how we can create jobs and income with very little outlay. At the same time, we'd eliminate the money pit that is CIÉ. Win fúcking win.

3. They do have a point with regard to our natural resources - the licence terms for the Corrib field give an astoundingly poor return to the exchequer based on the amount of gas Shell reckon is out there. That they have to date brought none of it ashore is borderline irrelevant - it WILL be brought ashore and it should be taxed to the hilt when it is. Better again, the company should be paid a flat fee to harvest the gas which would remain the property of the state, rather than the other way around. But that's the Irish government for you - prefer to take a few million now for a licence fee than make - potentially - trillions over the next 100 years.

This does not make me a supporter of Shell to Sea by the way - a quick look back throughn my posts will show the opposite. I have no objection to Shell building a terminal, or to the way in which the licence is worked, but I do think we should be seeking a better return for the rights given out. People who blindly and stubbornly protest with no hope of recourse as a result are idiots, plain and simple. Anyone who sees it as their god-given right to live at least 50 miles from a pipeline or to block a huge infrastructural project from going ahead because it affects a few select trees needs their head examined.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

Let's not forget that one of the most successful short-selling outfits also connived in falsifying the Greek entry to the Eurozone.

Not exactly a protest to the system as much creating even more problems through an injection of poisonous duplicity.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Peleus

Scofflaw wrote: »
    And the world will definitely not be saved by people chasing unrealistic and/or imaginary goals in Dame Street.

It was a nice enough little protest, although it initially looked like a street act (and had about the same size crowd), but it's about as useful as the male nipple.

The Irish financial industry, like the US financial industry, is not merely opaque and unaccountable, it is, again like the US financial industry, treated as a sacred cow by the Irish government. It has been poorly regulated and allowed to live not only beyond its own means but on ours, while the economic policy of our country is dictated by an equally deferential response to the power of the international markets.

And what do we get? Student rhetoric, a demand that something that doesn't even exist in the form believed by the protesters is "returned to the people", and a childish protest that we don't want to pay the State's debts. This is cluelessness of a high order. It's a typical Irish version of an international protest, with all the meaningful content replaced with some kind of ignorant whinge - a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

It's only better than nothing if you've nothing better to do.

regards,
    Scofflaw

Have you got a better idea. If you don't like what they are suggesting right now, why dont you get off your ass, go down there and ****ing tell them.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Peleus

But this is just more apocalyptic scare mongering. People have saying this since 2008, if it was so true or even a bit or truth, then you see more and more protests with bigger numbers. This protest had what? 30. Plus they were not angry, it seemed like a normal saturday at central bank.

You see more tension when pubs close every night then what these protests pretend to be.

It's a non violent protest, hence the lack of visible anger. The second it becomes violent its over.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Peleus wrote: »
    Have you got a better idea. If you don't like what they are suggesting right now, why dont you get off your ass, go down there and ****ing tell them.

No offence but they are way off the mark, I'm not remotely convinced they would listen.
    1. We should have protested about the blanket bank guarantee in 2008.
    2. We should have protested about paying some bond holders.
    3. We should have protested about saving Anglo.
    4. We should be pushing the government for financial reform.
    5. We should be pushing the government for political reform.
    6. We should try to get across to our fellow citizens how important it is who we vote for and why.

What these guys in Dame street are doing is missing the point by a wide margin. While sitting in the big financial hole we fell into they are demanding that the hole not exist. It's too ****ing late for that it already exists. An idea based in reality would be to find ways out of the hole. They are demanding we take back resources that for the most party don't exist or haven't been given away.

Sorry but I will support protests about points 4-6, I may well go down there and join in. But I see no good in supporting protests that can not work, ever.

Sounds like a lot of empty rhetoric.

If people really supported them, they'd be out there with them from day one. There's nothing stopping anyone. Relatively speaking, going out to camp with a group of like-minded people on Dame Street is perfectly safe. Why isn't the general population joining them?

You may ask why is there more than one political party in this country. Not everyone is the same, we all have different attitudes and different levels of tolerance to injustice(as we see it). The majority of people either think things are fair or at least only so unfair they can let it go with just a grumble. Now in much the same way water doesn't boil all of a sudden but instead as it gradually heats up the odd bubble pops up until more and more bring it to a boil. The protesters are that first bubble and unless the heat they feel is reduced, there will be more of them. If they're suppressed, it may create a more volatile situation.

@Ben Moore: A referendum the government can't ignore! Priceless, you are joking right!? How many referenda have the government ignored in the last twenty years??? I've lost count...! :D

Peleus wrote: »

Perhaps because I might get a response like that, given the level of analysis displayed so far by the protesters. Or perhaps because I'm already doing what I think is worthwhile.

charmed,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

Scofflaw wrote: »

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

I want to start a movement against post signers.

ei.sdraob wrote: »

-.-. --- .-. -.. .. .- .-.. .-.. -.-- :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I was there today, I'll be there whenever I can be from now on.

What has happened in this country is criminal. What continues to happen is criminal.

To all those saying "We had no choice but to bail out Anglo", how about this?
    How about attaching a condition saying that any bailed out bank (Anglo is now OWNED by the Irish people, remember) is not allowed to pay its executives and directors anything more than the average industrial wage?

Does the idea that your tax money is going into the pockets of millionaires instead of to schools and hospitals not make you sick to your stomach? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Send those losers to Australia.

Running out of space outside the central bank now. Love how its growing, Sat will be a big day be there if you can. Totally friendly atmosphere, open mike if you want to say anything. All hairstyles welcome.

• Advertisement

Series of talks from academics being organised starting with Conor McCabe Author -Sins of the Father tomorrow at 5pm.

Advertisement