Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Back to Basics...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Ah Shaz it seems to be never-ending for you. I'm having my first sports massage tonight and I'm kinda apprehensive. The legs seem to be fine & I'm afraid that he'll 'hurt' me. I'm such a wuss! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Jebas shaz, that's headwrecking :( Seems a long time to be stiff and sore after a DT massage. Are you lashing on the voltorol gel or tiger balm? Hope you feel "right" again asap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

jcsmum wrote: »
    Ah Shaz it seems to be never-ending for you. I'm having my first sports massage tonight and I'm kinda apprehensive. The legs seem to be fine & I'm afraid that he'll 'hurt' me. I'm such a wuss! :rolleyes:

Oh god don't let my one bad experience put you off a sports massage - still absolutely swear by them. You will probably feel a wee bit of "good" pain during the massage but it's really worth it after - and no its not common to still be in pain 2 weeks after :rolleyes:
    Everybody is different and I think I just had an "unlucky" experience with this particular PT. I am off to see a different one tonight who can hopefully rectify some of the damage done.
    RubyK wrote: »
    Jebas shaz, that's headwrecking :( Seems a long time to be stiff and sore after a DT massage. Are you lashing on the voltorol gel or tiger balm? Hope you feel "right" again asap.

You name it and I am trying it...alternating between Voltorol, tiger balm, arnica, ice, anti-inflammatories, praying, cursing and whinging...you know yourself, you'll try anything! Off to see someone else tonight so hopefully that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Ah Shaz, that's crap! Really hope tonight helps - at this stage, we'll be helping each other limp over the line on Monday!

So bad news is I'm out of Cork relay - I think I must be jinxed when it comes to anything to do with marathons! Good news is that hopefully I will be back in the next week.

I went to a a different PT last night who restored my confidence in sports massages (thanks P!). He was absolutely disgusted with the treatment I got from the other guy especially when I showed him some of the photos.

I debated whether to post this or not but it will give you some idea of the "bad" massage I got. The attached pic shows one of the many painful bruises after which lasted almost 2 weeks and I have a fairly high tolerance of pain. This is def not normal after a good sports massage and I am raging at him and myself for having put up with it! No pain no gain is not always correct!!

Anyway one of the bruised quads 3 days after massage torture

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

God that pic is awful. Seems like you are on the right track now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Holy crap Shaz, I'm looking at that pic on my phone and I nearly flipped, can only imagine what it looks like on a full screen. That's awful! Such a pity about Cork :(

Oh my God Shaz, that is shocking. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

That picture is shocking, especially given that it was the good leg which had no injury. If I were you I would show the first PT that picture and demand my money back. he is lucky you are not asking him for compensation!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,027 ✭✭✭opus

Bloody hell that looks horrific :( I've never had a sports massage & that pic would put me off for life! Sorry to hear you're missing out on the Cork run.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭ILOVERED

Oh my god that is horrendous! it must have been so sore, how the hell was that meant to be good!

I would deffo go back if I was you and show the picture etc.:mad:
    Did you even let him know how you felt in the days afterwards?

I just cant believe that picture :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Thats a nightmare that it happened due to some idiot PT, we will miss you in the relay :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

That's horrendous.

Am astonished that a massage can cause that sort of bruising - it's normal to be a bit tender the next day, but that's off the scale.

Hope you feel better soon.

Shaz, that pic is shocking :( You must have been in awful pain. Sorry you are out of the relay, mind yourself.

Thanks for the comments guys and sorry about the pic :). I will be in Cork to cheer all the boardsies on so will see you before and after race.
    menoscemo wrote: »
    That picture is shocking, especially given that it was the good leg which had no injury. If I were you I would show the first PT that picture and demand my money back. he is lucky you are not asking him for compensation!

He is lucky I don't go around and sock him one with the mood I'm in now....not that I advocate violence in anyway :rolleyes:

opus wrote: »
    Bloody hell that looks horrific :(I've never had a sports massage & that pic would put me off for life! Sorry to hear you're missing out on the Cork run.

No please don't think like that, this was one bad experience. Sports massages done by a good PT are brilliant and I would highly recommend them. The difference between the guy last night and the crap one is like chalk and cheese - I'm heading back tomorrow morn for another one (to the good PT!).

All I'll say is just be careful and make sure the PT communicates with you the whole time on your comfort level and any pain experienced. I just learnt the hard way!

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Concerned2

Bloody hell Shazkea that bruise looks awful . It would be bad enough if it was only 2 days since you had the trearment but 2 weeks :mad: I've had deep tissue message a number of times from 2 different physios & never had bruising like that. I hope this doesn't totally ruin your running plans for the summer :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Great that you are still coming down. See you on sunday!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Bloody f*ck :eek: I thought you originally meant you had a couple of small bruises which is perfectly normal (they're usually thumb shaped :pac: ) but that is unreal.

Has all that bruising died down now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

Holy crap that looks sore! Can't imagine how you suffered enough during the massage for that much damage, you must be hardcore.

I know someone recently who had a nerve in their arm damaged (setting them back a few months training), sucks when it messes up a good stint of training.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Jeez Shaz thats assault!! You poor thing.

Bloody f*ck :eek: I thought you originally meant you had a couple of small bruises which is perfectly normal (they're usually thumb shaped :pac: ) but that is unreal.

Has all that bruising died down now?

Lol - ah jeez RQ I know I can be a wuss but I'm not that bad to complain about a couple of small bruises :cool:

Yeah swelling has more or less gone now, couple of yellow spots left...boosted the profits for the Arnica manufacturers tho! Still quite a few tender spots
    kingQuez wrote: »
    Holy crap that looks sore! Can't imagine how you suffered enough during the massage for that much damage, you must be hardcore stupid

I know someone recently who had a nerve in their arm damaged (setting them back a few months training), sucks when it messes up a good stint of training.

FYP above :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

shazkea wrote: »
    Lol - ah jeez RQ I know I can be a wuss but I'm not that bad to complain about a couple of small bruises :cool:

I usually have bruises all down my two ITB's and I complain like mad. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Sorry shaz I completely forgot to ask you Monday night how your leg is doing now?

Bally8 wrote: »
    Sorry shaz I completely forgot to ask you Monday night how your leg is doing now?

Lol sure everything was great on Mon night courtesy of the odd bottle or 2 of beer...not to mention that concoction of a drink the barman called a cocktail :rolleyes:

Scheduled for first run back this eve so expect either a happy or rant post later :)

*sigh*...plan was 3 miles to see how legs felt.
    Original bad leg felt grand but former good leg (aka the one in the pic) is still fecked. Only managed 1.5 miles before I thought it would be a good idea to call it an eve. A good bit of stretching seems to have eased it out a bit and now icing it. A knot in the quad seems to be causing the knee pain so will get good PT to work on that when I see him next.

Distance: 1.51. miles
    Time: 15:06
    Avg Pace: 10:02

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Feck, sorry to hear that :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Chin up!
    Remember it's only temporary...
    Rest up and you'll be back out there in no time ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

Frustrating

rest up!

Sorry to hear that Shaz. Enjoy the rest while you can. You'll be back in no time.

• Advertisement

Thanks guys but no intention of resting up - have all the excess from the supporters weekend in Cork to work off :rolleyes:.
    Some time in the gym will do me good...luckily it's only irritating me when I'm running so at least I can do some cross-training!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

have all the excess from the supporters weekend in Cork to work off :rolleyes:.
    Ditto, need this bug to feck off soon so I can work off my Cork excesses! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

luckily it's only irritating me when I'm running so at least I can do some cross-training!

So you found your way to Digger's place in Kerry then ;)

So you found your way to Digger's place in Kerry then ;)

...but to my surprise found that another boardsie had gotten there before me ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

...but to my surprise found that another boardsie had gotten there before me ;)

Digger stepped aside and let the 2 of you go for a cross training session together yeah :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Only catching up with your log, that was some bruising in the photo even my hamstring tear last year was nowhere near as brusied as that.

You seem to be getting a bad run of luck with injuries, keep the head up.

Digger stepped aside and let the 2 of you go for a cross training session together yeah :p

No...he's an old man remember...his heart wouldn't be able to handle that much entertainment crosstraining :cool:
    Only catching up with your log, that was some bruising in the photo even my hamstring tear last year was nowhere near as brusied as that.

You seem to be getting a bad run of luck with injuries, keep the head up.

Cheers JB, injuries do seem to be part and parcel of my log alright :rolleyes:. Your training seems to be going well after Barca

*sigh*...plan was 3 miles to see how legs felt.
    Original bad leg felt grand but former good leg (aka the one in the pic) is still fecked. Only managed 1.5 miles before I thought it would be a good idea to call it an eve.

:( sorry to hear this shaz. I really hope you get fixed up asap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

I hope you and Nules have had a good cross-training gossip now...always happy to provide some material! :)

Hope you feel better soon...you poor thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

claralara wrote: »
    I hope you and Nules have had a good cross-training gossip now...always happy to provide some material! :)
    !

Gossip??? God I picked the worse week to go away :D

• Advertisement

Just catching up on the log now Shaz. You really are having your fair share of injury troubles.
    Hope you're feeling better.

is not something I have!!

Trying to return from this round of injuries is a royal pain in the butt ( or knee, thigh, hip etc...)...having started with a new PT, he is trying to get to the root cause of all my injuries. This is absolutely great and what I need to do but jeez is it frustrating. We thought we had covered most things on Friday so I tried a run on Sat.

Cue a royal meltdown after a failed attempt which resulted in a broken ipod, a dent in my hall wall (from where the garmin hit it or it could have been the ipod!!!) and a dented dustbin (where my foot collided with it!!). Then I got mad that I had broken my ipod which resulted in a litany of curses and then a flood of tears :o. Holy fook but I'm a basket case at the moment.
    I need to get back running asap to retain some sanity (and for the safety of my running gadgets) - even if it's just for 10 mins!!

Date with the Take That boys did me the world of good last night and I've gotten some perspective back...and a small bit of patience! Must go and dig out the C25K program!

I'm glad I hadn't read the last post when I bumped into you this evening. I'd have been scared :eek:

Seriously though, keep the faith. Better to have everything sorted out at the same time.

:eek: oh no!!!

but how good was Take That!! deffo cheered you up I'd say:D

Hopefully you will bve sorted soon

F*ck it anyway shaz! I'm really sorry you are still not sorted :(

Finally beginning to see light at the end of a tunnel and should be back running next week after this round of injuries. Now I will take a few weeks to ease back into it slowly, thats a given...

But I'm at a loss as to what plan to do then...should I just do a ~8 wk 10km plan or should I start on a half plan with perhaps looking to come back for the Race Series Half (not targeting a time, just running it)?? Any advice on what to do???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Maybe just play it by ear for a few weeks? Try to get out for a run 3/4 times a week, run a pace and distance you're comfortable with each time. If you're following a plan you might push too hard because you feel you have to?

Glad to hear you'll be good to go next week :)

I agree with Ray, take a couple of easy weeks before following a plan. Maybe do the first week on grass? That's what I've been advised to do, and so far (touch wood) it seems to be going ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Good to hear you're on the way back. :p
    I'd agree with the others here too. Just run a few times a week to start with, taking it slow and comfortable. Listen to the body. Once you're up to 30 or 40 mins of comfortable running 4 times a week you might think about a plan... maybe. No rush!;)

• Advertisement

Thanks guys and gals...I do agree with this.

So my plan is not to have a plan!
    I will take it easy and just build up again in July and then after I come back from Kilimanjaro in Aug I will look at putting a plan together. My main concern right now is that I am not injured for the Kili trip so will put no pressure on myself to run. Plenty of cross-training and hikes coming my way with some easy runs thrown in :)

Advertisement