Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Soll 2014/2015. Please read first post!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭fannymagee

Lifts are open, but it's bleak. Bring your ice-skates ;-)

Temps supposed to drop tonight so FINGERS CROSSED a bit more snow can be made- prob won't last long but every little helps! Will be interesting to see how many show up for ski school in the morning...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭trashcan

Booked the usual spot last week in Westendorf for the end of Feb. All I can do now is hope the conditions are ok. Plenty of time, so I'm not panicking (yet).

• Registered Users Posts: 7 walshj74

Hi,

I'm trying to book a couple of hours lessons for myself and my adult son on Friday 9th January.
    We are both beginner to intermediate.

Skischule gave me the following quote, which is a little over our budget:
    2 hours/2 persons: € 176

Anybody know of any alternatives? I was thinking more of about 100Euro, but perhaps i'm being unrealistic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭dzer2

You should be able to book a full day for 200 and an additional 25 per person

• Advertisement

There is only one ski school in Soll, and it's closed on Fridays so it's a good day for private lessons, nice quiet slopes :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭AlternateID

fannymagee wrote: »
    There is only one ski school in Soll, and it's closed on Fridays so it's a good day for private lessons, nice quiet slopes :-)

Are you sure? I thought there was 2. Blue jackets and I think the reds are there too no?

Not any more! It's all blue & yellow now :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 walshj74

Thanks guys. I've gone ahead and booked with Skischule.

Really appreciate the responses on the forum.

Looks like temps are set to drop from Thursday- kep the snow dances going!! :-) xxx

• Advertisement

And we have SCHNEEEE!!! Thank you Santa :-) xxx

Grundlalm/Umbrella bar right now:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37 SUPing

Now that the snow is falling and looks like it will be coming down for yhe next few days. When will they open all the lifts/runs?

Heading to Soll first week of Jan hoping the snow keeps coming and it stays nice and cold.

SUPing wrote: »
    Now that the snow is falling and looks like it will be coming down for yhe next few days. When will they open all the lifts/runs?

Heading to Soll first week of Jan hoping the snow keeps coming and it stays nice and cold.

It's looking good SUPing! Now that the temps have dropped, every cannon on the mountain is running at full blast so two days of this and it'll be a whole new ball game- YAAY!! :-)

Lifts fully open tomorrow, we have lift-off :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

wahoo!

Christ I'm all excited again now!!! was begining to lose faith there for a while!

Just a reminder for fans of the Underground- it's closed this season, but Dave has set up shop in The Mill (beside the Whisky Muhle). Crocodile game still optional ;)

It's on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

Just a reminder for fans of the Underground- it's closed this season, but Dave has set up shop in The Mill (beside the Whisky Muhle). Crocodile game still optional ;)

I was in Sol twice with friends both times and frequented a lot of bars and I never knew the Underground bar existed! Got chatting to people on the morning we were leaving the last time and they were raving about it. I'll have to go a third time!

The Mill is far better than it used to be. I didn't know it was done up.

• Advertisement

Yes, and apparently the fish & chips he's doing are very nice too. SalvenStadl will always be my bar of choice though, it's just too much fun ;)

This is what you wanted last week.

This is what you wanted last week.

Haha yes, just a slight delay!

The good thing is that it arrived on time for the start of the season proper. This is when it all kicks off! And although people like to slate Soll/Skiwelt for using cannons, this is when it really comes into its own- the entire resort can be turned around practically overnight once the temp drops. Yahoo!! Hope you're enjoying!! :-)

Photo from this morning: All Soll & Skiwelt runs & links open now :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭prunudo

Some difference a week makes. It was looking awfully gloomy last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭trashcan

Doesn't that just look lovely ? Positively gladdens the heart. Now just stay like that till 21st February. Please :)

Preparation for tonight's candlelit ski-parade :)

Ah yes, just thinking back on all that stirring up of collective panic last week- I hope nobody on here cancelled anything! :-)

Happy New Year everyone!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 alexd05

Hi Fanny, just registered for boards there after seeing this thread. Heading over on jan 31 it will be my 5th trip to soll! About twenty of us heading ! I just wanted to ask a few things, where's this underground bar ? Have never ever come across it!! Haha, and also a resteraunt called , I think, the sollerstubn or something like that? If anyone has any good routes worked out would love to hear also or even great mountain bars/huts etc that are a must?Always nice to do a few new runs , thanks guys!!

Welcome Alex!

I'm afraid the Underground is closed this season! It was across from the SalvenStadl, underneath the Venezia restaurant.

The Sollerstubn is lovely alright, it's right in the Village (near the Postwirt) so just ask someone when you get there. Or you'll get it on TripAdvisor. DorfStubn is also lovely, and PostWirt. Get the schnitzel in the Hausberg halfway down the blue family run. It's amazing, best on the mountain :)

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭PCwiggum

Finally got a place to stay - the Agerhof. Any thoughts fanny? I think its a wee bit out of the village but I'm sure we'll stumble home :) Roll on 6th February yee haw!!

PCwiggum wrote: »
    Finally got a place to stay - the Agerhof. Any thoughts fanny? I think its a wee bit out of the village but I'm sure we'll stumble home :) Roll on 6th February yee haw!!

Ooh the Alpenschlossl?! I'm fascinated by that hotel, it has the most STUNNING views!! It gets kinda mixed reviews locally TBH, so I'm really interested to hear your experience. I've also considered using it as an event venue during the summer, so if you could let me know how you find it that'd be great!! It's a bit if a walk from the village so I'd get a taxi tbh. A lot of it is uphill too- feck it you're on your holidays!

Ps I took a photo of it during the summer, I'll see if I can find it ;)

Here ya go! Check me out, I'm a hotel stalker haha ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭PCwiggum

Ooh the Alpenschlossl?! I'm fascinated by that hotel, it has the most STUNNING views!! It gets kinda mixed reviews locally TBH, so I'm really interested to hear your experience. I've also considered using it as an event venue during the summer, so if you could let me know how you find it that'd be great!! It's a bit if a walk from the village so I'd get a taxi tbh. A lot of it is uphill too- feck it you're on your holidays!

Ps I took a photo of it during the summer, I'll see if I can find it ;)

Thanks fanny, I'll post my review after the trip!:D

• Advertisement

Nice one. You've totally reignited a plan I've been hatching, thanks! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

Whats the current conditions update Fanny?? hoping to book something at the end of the month and its a toss up between Ischgl and Soll, I'm leaning towards Soll but others are adamant about Ischgl however if conditions still resemble the snap you put up on New years Day i'm sure i can win the vote :)

Piste conditions are great at the moment SpaceCowboy, off piste not so great, another dump required in order to regain New Year's Day conditions! Soll & Ischgl are two very different resorts, Piste conditions aside, the whole vibe is very different. Are you sure you want to be the guy who convinces them to change?! ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Quii

Landing in Soll Saturday week, looking forward to 5 fast Gluweins and spending the first few hours of ski school in a haze from the night before!

whats the craic with schools there? is there more than one? can we book into classes when we land?

Quii wrote: »
    Landing in Soll Saturday week, looking forward to 5 fast Gluweins and spending the first few hours of ski school in a haze from the night before!

whats the craic with schools there? is there more than one? can we book into classes when we land?

Haha yes you can book in when you get there no prob. There's only one (link in first post) so you can book in advance too, same difference. There's a ski shop next door to the SalvenStadll (main pub on the corner- go there when you arrive!) You can get lift pass, ski school and equipment in there between gluhweins ;-) Make sure you use the ski garage under the gondola, not the Stoll. Have a read of the first post, it's all in there :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

Piste conditions are great at the moment SpaceCowboy, off piste not so great, another dump required in order to regain New Year's Day conditions! Soll & Ischgl are two very different resorts, Piste conditions aside, the whole vibe is very different. Are you sure you want to be the guy who convinces them to change?! ;-)

I'm not sure if I can or not but I'm very much of the mind set that Soll is the way to go! Two of our party of four are well cashed up and only going for four days and are being stubborn with Ischgl, my argument is that i'd easily get a week for the same price in Soll and i'm all about time on the mountain.

I'm not sure if I can or not but I'm very much of the mind set that Soll is the way to go! Two of our party of four are well cashed up and only going for four days and are being stubborn with Ischgl, my argument is that i'd easily get a week for the same price in Soll and i'm all about time on the mountain.

Ah well in that case you're 100% right- that sort of thing drives me mad! There is a HUUGE difference in price, you'll get so much more bang for your buck in Soll, and have a great time. Ditch the flash gits & just go :-)

walshj74 wrote: »
    Thanks guys. I've gone ahead and booked with Skischule.

Really appreciate the responses on the forum.

How'd ya get on?! Hope all went well :-)

Kids avalanche course. Cuteness :-)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Thats awesome :-)

Saw that from the chair lift above the other week. Good to see.

Jaysis just heard there's 10 million to be invested in Soll snow-making & lift infrastructure for 2016. I'm not sure how I feel about all this change! Fingers crossed for a few heated seats ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Inconspicuous

Jaysis just heard there's 10 million to be invested in Soll snow-making & lift infrastructure for 2016. I'm not sure how I feel about all this change! Fingers crossed for a few heated seats ;-)

Pretty sweet!! That'll keep me coming back anyway!! Not that I need any encouragement!

8 million for a 6 seater Salvenmoos?! Jaaysis! :-)

Where's that new/replacement lift they put in this year? It sucks for snowboarders. The bar where you'd normally put your board/skis seems to of been designed purely with skiers in mind.

• Advertisement
Advertisement