Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Soll 2014/2015. Please read first post!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭PCwiggum

Hi all...sorry to be a pain, having trouble finding accommodation for 1st week in Feb, (4 nights from 04/02/15). Its for 6 lads, so cheap and cheerful with running water, walking distance to the town centre would be ideal. I tried the places suggested and a few more, no luck yet. Some places seem to only take weekly bookings. All recommendations greatly appreciated.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

PCwiggum wrote: »
    Hi all...sorry to be a pain, having trouble finding accommodation for 1st week in Feb, (4 nights from 04/02/15). Its for 6 lads, so cheap and cheerful with running water, walking distance to the town centre would be ideal. I tried the places suggested and a few more, no luck yet. Some places seem to only take weekly bookings. All recommendations greatly appreciated.

Did you contact the tourist office?

Rew wrote: »
    Did you contact the tourist office?

I did - just 2 hotel suggestions and both were a bit too expensive for what we're looking for. We'd prefer guesthouse/pension type acc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭fannymagee

I did - just 2 hotel suggestions and both were a bit too expensive for what we're looking for. We'd prefer guesthouse/pension type acc.

Try the Mirabell and the Schoenblick directly, they do half-week bookings

Google them, I'm replying from phone

fannymagee wrote: »

Google them, I'm replying from phone

Thanks fannymagee, just got offered the Tannenhof apartment @€;39pppn. Going to check with the rest of the gang and hopefully book it soon!

• Advertisement

Thanks fannymagee, just got offered the Tannenhof apartment @€;39pppn. Going to check with the rest of the gang and hopefully book it soon!

Ah that's grand, it's just a short walk to the village, and if there's enough snow you can ski-in!

To be honest I wouldn't bother though- you'll only have to carry your skis the next morning. Might as well just keep your gear in the garage & enjoy your apres ;-)

Ah that's grand, it's just a short walk to the village, and if there's enough snow you can ski-in!

To be honest I wouldn't bother though- you'll only have to carry your skis the next morning. Might as well just keep your gear in the garage & enjoy your apres ;-)

I just found a farmhouse 2km outside the village with 2 triple rooms which is ideal for our group. What is Soll like for taxis at stupid o'clock in the morning?

I just found a farmhouse 2km outside the village with 2 triple rooms which is ideal for our group. What is Soll like for taxis at stupid o'clock in the morning?

No problem, I always get taxis home at night, never a problem. Have you factored in the extra cost etc?

No problem, I always get taxis home at night, never a problem. Have you factored in the extra cost etc?

It works out at €88 each for 4 nights b+b.
    My budget was €500 total pp. (excl. beer money)

So far...
    Flights @€;162
    B+B @€;88
    Ski Pass@€128
    Rental@€63

Leaves us with about €50 each for transfers and taxis...doable! :)

It works out at €88 each for 4 nights b+b.
    My budget was €500 total pp. (excl. beer money)

So far...
    Flights @€;162
    B+B @€;88
    Ski Pass@€128
    Rental@€63

Leaves us with about €50 each for transfers and taxis...doable! :)

Ah well if the distance is reflected in the price then happy days! Is it on the ski bus route? If not, book all your morning taxis in advance so you're not waiting to get I the mountain! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 kop001

Hi, I have tried calling the schoenblick on a number of occasions over the last few weeks but cannot get through, do you know if it is open? I stayed there last year so was hoping to return. Also, what is the mirabell like, I cannot see any photos or reviews?

kop001 wrote: »

Hi, I have tried calling the schoenblick on a number of occasions over the last few weeks but cannot get through, do you know if it is open? I stayed there last year so was hoping to return. Also, what is the mirabell like, I cannot see any photos or reviews?

It's probably closed at the moment, but if you email Barbara at hotel@schoenblick-soell.com she usually responds. The Mirabell is similar to Schoenblick, has a lovely little cafe too :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Quii

Looking to head to Soll this year, did Westendorf the last couple of years and the craic was a bit limited, good skiing though!

this year headed out with 3 mates, varying from total beginner, confident intermediate (I'm on on the light blue scale myself :D) is there many nice runs for the beginners in the group?

how much is one looking at for transfers from Munich? We were thinking of booking a Crystal job but I fancy the idea of stopping in Munich on the way home for a night in the beer halls, so trying to find the cheapest DIY option!

I've heard great things about the night life in Soll? have I heard correctly?

Quii wrote: »
    Looking to head to Soll this year, did Westendorf the last couple of years and the craic was a bit limited, good skiing though!

this year headed out with 3 mates, varying from total beginner, confident intermediate (I'm on on the light blue scale myself :D) is there many nice runs for the beginners in the group?

how much is one looking at for transfers from Munich? We were thinking of booking a Crystal job but I fancy the idea of stopping in Munich on the way home for a night in the beer halls, so trying to find the cheapest DIY option!

I've heard great things about the night life in Soll? have I heard correctly?

I presume by total beginner you mean starting on the nursery slopes in ski school? There's plenty for them, but they're best with an instructor. The transition from nursery to blue used to be pretty steep but they've moved a lift to ease that transition so life is much easier for beginners and instructors now. Plenty of light blue too, but I'd recommend ski school to get you into the dark red/black zone ASAP. It's WAAY more fun than light blue ;)

Train from Munich is about €25 each way, very handy so your night in Munich will be easily done.

And yes, nightlife is great. The best apres is straight off the slopes so don't bother with that 'going home to get changed' nonsense ;)

fannymagee;93107919]It's probably closed at the moment, but if you email Barbara at the schoenblick, she usually responds. The Mirabell is similar to Schoenblick, has a lovely little cafe too

Thank you for the quick response, I have emailed on a number of occasions over the past month without success - There is a message on the voice mail but my German language skills are severely lacking.

I presume by total beginner you mean starting on the nursery slopes in ski school? There's plenty for them, but they're best with an instructor. The transition from nursery to blue used to be pretty steep but they've moved a lift to ease that transition so life is much easier for beginners and instructors now. Plenty of light blue too, but I'd recommend ski school to get you into the dark red/black zone ASAP. It's WAAY more fun than light blue ;)

Train from Munich is about €25 each way, very handy so your night in Munich will be easily done.

And yes, nightlife is great. The best apres is straight off the slopes so don't bother with that 'going home to get changed' nonsense ;)

sounds good! Aer Lingus got a sale on all week so we'll be booing tomorrow I'd say! Roll on January!

sounds good! Aer Lingus got a sale on all week so we'll be booing tomorrow I'd say! Roll on January!

Oh really?! I missed that- might book a few flights myself so!! :)

fannymagee;93107919]It's probably closed at the moment, but if you email Barbara at schoenblick she usually responds. The Mirabell is similar to Schoenblick, has a lovely little cafe too

Thank you, I have sent a number emails over the past month but no joy as yet.

Ryanair flights Dublin-Salzburg are up now. Saturdays only.

Flights booked for early February, woo hoo! Thanks Quii.

• Advertisement

booked flight for 3rd week in January this morning, Soll here we come!

where is the gondola in relation to the town itself? looking at gaffs at the minute!

booked flight for 3rd week in January this morning, Soll here we come!

where is the gondola in relation to the town itself? looking at gaffs at the minute!

It's about a 6 minute walk, not far at all, and with regular shuttle busses if you're too hungover haha ;)

Make sure you store your gear in the garage under the gondola though, otherwise it becomes a real pain. Lots of bars along the way too, to distract you on your way home ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

Have been to Soll twice with friends previously, short trips, sat to weds, used get night skiing on sat night and 3 full days after. Perfect lenght trip as it's hard to get away for a wk with work and family. However, from what I can gather the midweek flight from Cork to Munich no longer runs and they only do saturday flights now. Anyone got any idea how we can get home to cork midweek now? Flying to Dublin probably not an option as we all live over 350kms from from Dublin in west cork. Thanx in advance, any tips would be greatly appreciated.

The flight options are getting less & less in recent years, so it's great they've at least kept one flight a week..! Surprised there isn't a mid-week Cork-Munich though... Anyway the three airports for Soll are Munich, Salzburg & Innsbruck. (Possibly Ryanair Memmingen, but it's a hike). If Aer Lingus aren't doing Cork-Munich flights I'd say your options are pretty limited, unless you add a Cork-Dublin train into your itinerary. But maybe someone else will have a solution?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

The flight options are getting less & less in recent years, so it's great they've at least kept one flight a week..! Surprised there isn't a mid-week Cork-Munich though... Anyway the three airports for Soll are Munich, Salzburg & Innsbruck. (Possibly Ryanair Memmingen, but it's a hike). If Aer Lingus aren't doing Cork-Munich flights I'd say your options are pretty limited, unless you add a Cork-Dublin train into your itinerary. But maybe someone else will have a solution?

Thanx a lot fannymagee, how far roughly to Salzburg, Innsbruck and memmingham? Munich is incredibly convenient as an access to Soll

Thanx a lot fannymagee, how far roughly to Salzburg, Innsbruck and memmingham? Munich is incredibly convenient as an access to Soll

Munich, Salzburg & Innsbruck are like a triangle around Soll, they're all pretty much equidistant. Munich has easiest transfers, and there are no direct flights from Ireland to Innsbruck as far as I know (just charters). You have to transfer from Memmingen into Munich but its not TOO bad, do a search on here for Memmingen & you'll get all the directions & opinions! Munich or Salzburg sre the easiest though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭dzer2

Have been to Soll twice with friends previously, short trips, sat to weds, used get night skiing on sat night and 3 full days after. Perfect lenght trip as it's hard to get away for a wk with work and family. However, from what I can gather the midweek flight from Cork to Munich no longer runs and they only do saturday flights now. Anyone got any idea how we can get home to cork midweek now? Flying to Dublin probably not an option as we all live over 350kms from from Dublin in west cork. Thanx in advance, any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Fly to dublin from cork or fly to stansted and get a flight from there. Have found that even if you take 2 flights to get there it might only cost the same as flying from dublin direct.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

Hi any recommendations on getting a cheaper Skipass

but really recommend me a ski rental place

Hi, does anybody know whether a a 3 day ski pass will work for two half days and two full days i.e. Thursday Afternoon, all day Friday/Saturday and Sunday Morning?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭dzer2

kop001 wrote: »
    Hi, does anybody know whether a a 3 day ski pass will work for two half days and two full days i.e. Thursday Afternoon, all day Friday/Saturday and Sunday Morning?

No the ski pass is date specific

Advertisement