Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PGA Tour Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,712 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Don't know enough about it but I think it's a bit silly how the points reset.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

HighLine wrote: »
    But is that not the beauty of the format now? Puts pressure on doing well during these four tournaments. If it was the normal point system Spieth could probably take the next 4 tournaments off and still win.

On the other hand you can have an average season, get lucky at the right time and pinch all the lolly ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

it creates excitement for the final tournament... the big shootout for 10 million. Otherwise it could be already decided before anyone tees it up.

Gotta say, I think the system is very close to perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

it creates excitement for the final tournament... the big shootout for 10 million. Otherwise it could be already decided before anyone tees it up.

Gotta say, I think the system is very close to perfect.
    I think they have it just right. I remember in one of the first years of the Fedex series, Vijay Singh needn't have played in the final tournament - he was uncatchable and had already won the pot of money - no fun in that.

The fact that the last four FedEx winners have never won a major kinda sums up the gimmicky nature of the thing.

• Advertisement

Don't understand the logic but... Rory back on top

https://twitter.com/JasonSobelESPN/status/637375461673299968

• Registered Users Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭abff

Don't understand the logic but... Rory back on top

https://twitter.com/JasonSobelESPN/status/637375461673299968

It's basically because the rankings are based on average points per tournament played over the previous two years, subject to a maximum of the last 52 tournaments. Rory has played fewer than 52 tournaments in the last two years and the tournaments he played included the Deutsche Bank this week two years ago. That tournament now drops out of the reckoning and his divisor for world ranking purposes drops from 45 to 44.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭blackcard

abff wrote: »
    It's basically because the rankings are based on average points per tournament played over the previous two years, subject to a maximum of the last 52 tournaments. Rory has played fewer than 52 tournaments in the last two years and the tournaments he played included the Deutsche Bank this week two years ago. That tournament now drops out of the reckoning and his divisor for world ranking purposes drops from 45 to 44.

Presumably Jordan's average drops also because he missed the cut

blackcard wrote: »
    Presumably Jordan's average drops also because he missed the cut

That's part of the reason as he earns no points for this tournament, but he would have needed to finish in the top 14 to stay ahead of Rory, whose average actually increased because of the reduction in the divisor. This is in spite of the 'ageing' adjustment that applies to all results more than 13 weeks old and causes a player's total points to drop from one week to the next if he doesn't play.

Rose's round today was 14 shots better than his opening round. Impressive fight back.

• Advertisement

I agree. It makes it a bit too random. I think they should carry forward the actual points from the previous round and have higher points available for the tour championship - maybe twice the number available in the other play off events.

That would still leave it unlikely that someone would have it sewn up before the final event, but it would be fairer in terms of recognising performances over the whole season.

It's not a full reset for the final... The no.1 player steps down to 2000 points so the chances of someone in the last 10 winning is very slim indeed. Like I said before, I think they have it very close to prefect.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭MikeSD

Commentators in great form tonight!

It's not a full reset for the final... The no.1 player steps down to 2000 points so the chances of someone in the last 10 winning is very slim indeed. Like I said before, I think they have it very close to prefect.

I think it's a lot better than it was in the first couple of years, but I don't like the fact that the golfer in 5th place going into the Tour Championship will win the FedEx Cup with a win in the Tour Championship, even if the runaway leader before the reset finishes second. If it was up to me, I'd tweak it a bit - probably along the lines suggested in my previous post.

But let's not fall out over it. It's just a matter of opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

abff wrote: »
    I think it's a lot better than it was in the first couple of years, but I don't like the fact that the golfer in 5th place going into the Tour Championship will win the FedEx Cup with a win in the Tour Championship, even if the runaway leader before the reset finishes second. If it was up to me, I'd tweak it a bit - probably along the lines suggested in my previous post.

But let's not fall out over it. It's just a matter of opinion.

Also, can it really be considered a near perfect system when players can skip one or two of the opening rounds and still be allowed participate in the closing rounds? Rory (and five others I think) have skipped the Barclays and Sergio is skipping both the Barclays and the Deutsche Bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭The Bowling Alley

Mark Roe is a very annoying commentator. The way he kept on going on about how bubba was in trouble -because of his back - was ludicrous, considering he knew as much as everyone else that was watching.

Aside from that, how is Bubba Watson not 5-6 shots clear in this tournament?! He seems to be missing so many clear cut opportunities (I suppose that's how he's not running away with it)

It will be very interesting to see how the final group play today. Generally speaking, when w player shoots a really low round they struggle to repeat it the next day. In this case Bae and Day both shot 63's and fed off each other. I can see Bae having a bad day and Day will unfortunately feed off that instead.

Bubba had a mediocre day yesterday and for me I think that puts him in the driving seat today. The only way I can see him being beaten is if one of the the -6 or -7 lads rips up a 62 out of nowhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Mark Roe is a very annoying commentator. The way he kept on going on about how bubba was in trouble -because of his back - was ludicrous, considering he knew as much as everyone else that was watching.
    I think Roe annoys everyone, starting with his voice which drones on and on and on... I liked the way Rich Beem wound him up, culminating with a bet on a particular putt on the sixteenth which Rich Beem was not letting go of :)
    Aside from that, how is Bubba Watson not 5-6 shots clear in this tournament?! He seems to be missing so many clear cut opportunities (I suppose that's how he's not running away with it)
    He seemed to have problems with his distance control with wedges; which lets face it is unforgiveable given that he's almost always a wedge from the greens on the par 4s on that course.

rrpc wrote: »
    I think Roe annoys everyone, starting with his voice which drones on and on and on... I liked the way Rich Beem wound him up, culminating with a bet on a particular putt on the sixteenth which Rich Beem was not letting go of :)

He seemed to have problems with his distance control with wedges; which lets face it is unforgiveable given that he's almost always a wedge from the greens on the par 4s on that course.

Yeah, that's a good point. He hammers one down there, everyone gets excited and then he wedges it to 30 feet. Very odd. Bubba's driving with someone like Furyk or Mickleson's wedge play and he'd be world number one

Brian Harmon just had his 2nd hole in one of the day!!

Brian Harmon just had his 2nd hole in one of the day!!

Only the third time its ever happened on the PGA tour, Miyazato in 2006 and Whedon in 1955.

Only once ever on the Euro tour, Andrew Dodt in 2013.

• Advertisement

Day playing like a computer game at the moment. Bubba playing like a lunatic. Double bogeyed from 3 feet and is walking around like he doesn't care. When you see him in this mood you have to wonder how he ever won a tournament of any kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Day playing like a computer game at the moment. Bubba playing like a lunatic. Double bogeyed from 3 feet and is walking around like he doesn't care. When you see him in this mood you have to wonder how he ever won a tournament of any kind.

Hard to feel sorry for him with those drunken bozos shouting after every shot he hits.

The galleries at US tournaments were always pretty hard going but with the advent of Tiger and now Bubba, now they are just a complete pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Ugh, Bubba is very childish when he does this.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,342 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

In a 4 star hotel with the wife for the weekend. You'd think they'd have sky sports in the bar.

Ragin

• Registered Users Posts: 20,806 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Rikand wrote: »
    In a 4 star hotel with the wife for the weekend. You'd think they'd have sky sports in the bar.

Ragin

Local ?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,342 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Local ?

The hill down from the hotel looks too daunting to walk back up after I've had a few ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,806 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Rikand wrote: »
    The hill down from the hotel looks too daunting to walk back up after I've had a few ;)

Never,

only a 3 club hill.

Is hard at the top rik.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Diego Tristan

Harrington paid for his missed cut this weekend. Ends the week 103rd in the rankings, so his Fedex Cup stops here. Rory the only Irish interest left in the remaining 100.

Jason Day, Rory McIlroy and Jordan Spieth all battling it out for No.1.... great to watch! Looking forward to next week!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,712 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Jason Day, Rory McIlroy and Jordan Spieth all battling it out for No.1.... great to watch! Looking forward to next week!

Should be a belter, although McIlroy will probably be rusty!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement