Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2015 NFL Superbowl XLIX

Options
  • 19-01-2015 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭

8rgQ4z.jpg

* * * * * Super Bowl XLIX, Sunday 1st February 2015 @ 11:30pm * * * * *

Home Team: Seattle Seahawks

Patriots @ Seahawks

(Sky Sports from 10:00pm)

The 2015 XLIX Superbowl winners will be the... 159 votes

Patriots
    0%
    Seahawks
    100%
    ButcherOfNogWashoutBatemanmisemada999PherekydesefbStringMyPeopleDrankTheSoupcruiserweightkeano_afcBizzyCClaremanTrampasbad2dabonesqurmchopperbyrneevil_seedTristramMorpork 159 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Seahawks
    I'm picking the Pats, but I expect a close game, and it's going to be a 4th quarter where either team can win it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Seahawks
    Torn now about where to actually watch the game. Do i got to a superbowl party and enjoy the night or just watch at home ....

Pats all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,039 ✭✭✭Guffy

Seahawks
    BKWDR wrote: »
    Torn now about where to actually watch the game. Do i got to a superbowl party and enjoy the night or just watch at home ....

Pats all the way.

I guess it depends if you want to remember the half time show and second half or not ;)

I reckon pats have it. I just don't believe in the seattle offense. Blount had a good game against colts, so if they can establish any sort of a ground game then they are away with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Two fairly detestable teams so this isn't going to be a pleasant watch. Can I go with an electricity cut that isn't restored? I think the Pats will win.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Seahawks
    Feel dirty saying I want the Pats to win, shame GB didn't hang in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭obriendj

Can see a repeat of last year.

Old Experienced QB vs young Seattle QB
    All the hype before the game saying it will be tight. But then Seattle go and win by a decent margin.

Would like to see Seattle lose and they should have done so yesterday but the Packers threw it away.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

About time this thread got started!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭Lirange

Sherman's injury does give me pause but I think Seattle will win. I think Indy was a poor opponent by the standards of a division championship game. There's an absolutely massive difference going from lining up against a poor Colts defence to squaring off against the Seattle defence. Wilson played poorly and was uncharacteristically turnover prone. If he performs like this again they won't win. He won't though which is why I think the Seahawks repeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Seahawks
    Patriots definitely the favourites for me. Last year the Seahawks went in having played very well against a top class team in the championship game and dominating the Saints. This year you can't read anything into how they played against Seattle and they were incredibly fortunate that GB messed it up yesterday. If the Patriots find themselves in the positions GB were in you can rest assured they won't let it slip, their coaches are far too good to let that happen. Still though Pete Carroll is a great coach and you have to imagine he'll give them a very good chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

Seahawks
    Lirange wrote: »
    Sherman's injury does give me pause but I think Seattle will win. I think Indy was a poor opponent by the standards of a division championship game. There's an absolutely massive difference going from lining up against a poor Colts defence to squaring off against the Seattle defence. Wilson played poorly and was uncharacteristically turnover prone. If he performs like this again they won't win. He won't though which is why I think the Seahawks repeat.

Did you not see the intensity of the Raven game the week before? NE will not panic, that's a certainty. They will also not play into Seattle's strength's i.e their secondary. They will exploit the Seahawks for short gains all day, an area where they are weak. Brady will grind and grind and at the other end the NE secondary will hold their own against any receiving corp out there. Russel will have to be at his very best to exploit them here... Where they can have a real field day is through Lynch, that's the worry. But NE will be ready, they will have a game plan and they will execute it. Whether it's good enough on the day is another thing but their opposition last night will have no bearing on how they perform. They know exactly what they are facing into.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Putin

Seahawks
    Two fairly detestable teams so this isn't going to be a pleasant watch. Can I go with an electricity cut that isn't restored? I think the Pats will win.

Detestable teams? I can never understand how someone can get so worked up over a simple game of Football.

A very intriguing Superbowl and it should be close, but I think the Patriots will do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

I said last week that the winner would come from the NFC, and I'm standing by that. I cant see the Hawks having such a bad game again.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Trying to see which is the lesser of the two evils :pac:

Going with Seahawks, but this game should go to the wire.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Head says Hawks but my begrudging respect for Brady & Darth Vader sort of hopes the Pats have one last hurrah.

Don't think it will be terribly close, Seahawks by 10-15.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

I think it'll depend on what pressure The Pats can put on that Hawks offense. I think the Seahawks are the better team but Brady and BB can swing any game in their balance. I hope it's a much better contest than last year. I can't see anyone running away with it and it should prove to be a tight enough affair.

I can see the Hawks winning by 7 in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

I'm backing the Hawks but I think it's going to be the patriots

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

Harsh calling them the two most detestable teams but I don't think it's an exaggeration to call them the two most currently disliked teams in the league (which I'm sure is more a compliment than anything else really). But yeah, probably the Super Bowl I would've least wanted to see from a bitterness point of view! As long as it's a good game with some moments of drama I'll be happy. I'm leaning towards thinking if the Pats get the run game going like last night they should shade it as their offense will be sorted and their defense should be able to make just enough plays to keep Seattle's score down.
    That being said, I don't think there's any way Wilson is as bad as he was last night and that could make it interesting, especially if the Seahawk's D somehow is fully fit. So in reality I've no idea who'll win.

Basically I think if the Patriots score more than they concede they'll win. But I also think if Seahawks concede less than they score they'll also win.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭Lirange

Vanolder wrote: »
    Did you not see the intensity of the Raven game the week before?

I did. I think the Seahawks are a better version of the Ravens. I'm sure the Pats can cope mentally with a competitive game. Just that the game against Indy may serve to deceive and flatter the viewers a bit.
    NE will not panic, that's a certainty. They will also not play into Seattle's strength's i.e their secondary. They will exploit the Seahawks for short gains all day, an area where they are weak. Brady will grind and grind and at the other end the NE secondary will hold their own against any receiving corp out there.

They will. They will. They will. I'm just making a prediction. What I think is more likely to happen. I certainly don't have your confidence. Many things we think will happen often don't. If Seattle establishes the running game (like the Ravens) then that opens up the passing game and makes the game a bit more complicated for the safeties. Indy, as we know, has no running game whatsoever.

You used the adjective "weak" in describing an aspect of Seattle's defence. One that could be exploited "all day." The Seahawks defence played well against the Packers. Rodgers made a few plays of the variety you speak of, the short passes (though note that Seahawks are less exploitable there in the red zone). But for the game? His stat line was 178 yards, 1 TD, and 2 picks. Would you take that stat line for Brady and expect to win? If you told me those would be Rodgers numbers I would have thought they would have lost handily. Of course, I wouldn't have anticipated Seattle turning the ball over five times giving the Pack prime field position. Most of Green Bay's offensive output was scores off turnovers/long field goals. Seattle lost the turnover ratio by 3. A rarity for Seattle which has typically been on the right side of that stat. If that repeats itself in the Super Bowl then Seattle is in trouble. However, I think that's relatively unlikely.
    Russel will have to be at his very best to exploit them here... Where they can have a real field day is through Lynch, that's the worry. But NE will be ready, they will have a game plan and they will execute it. Whether it's good enough on the day is another thing but their opposition last night will have no bearing on how they perform. They know exactly what they are facing into.

Of course, knowing what you are facing and successfully facing it are two very different things. I don't think either team will underestimate the other. Belichik is a smart coach but he's not God. He's 3-2 in Super Bowls not 5-0. Russell, his last performance and relative youth notwithstanding, is a very intelligent player. As I stated above the run game really opens up options for Wilson in the passing game and don't forget he likes to complicate things for defences by running the ball himself. He had the 4th most rushing yards by a QB in a season this year (only two seasons by Vick and one by Cunningham ahead of him). One thing that Seattle has shown a penchant for in these last couple years is executing the big play, the back breakers, sometimes in the running game, but often on deep passes as well. Against a team like the Seahawks the outcome may depend more on the play of the NE safeties, Chung and McCourty, than the CBs.

Putin wrote: »
    Detestable teams? I can never understand how someone can get so worked up over a simple game of Football.

Who's getting worked up? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Areyouwell

Seahawks
    Lirange wrote: »
    There's an absolutely massive difference going from lining up against a poor Colts defence to squaring off against the Seattle defence.

The Ravens - Pats game was the toughest and the most physical game by far in the playoffs. Brady took some shots in that game and seemed to play better after each one. The Seahawks have a great defense, it will be close, but I think the Pats will get it done.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

Seahawks
    I have the Patriots winning comfortably. Seattle Offense looked horrible last night, and the New England Defense will give Wilson fits. On the other side of the ball, Green Bay moved the ball at will against Seattle and the only thing that stopped them in the end was themselves. New England's Offense will stay aggressive for the entire game (look at last night leaving Brady in taking shots to the legs and throwing deep) and will not take their foot off the gas. New England are clearly the best team in the league at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

poldebruin wrote: »
    Seattle Offense looked horrible last night

And they know that & will change, I think it's going to be hard fought & it'll sadly go to the patriots, but I want to be pleasantly surprised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

Seahawks
    OU812 wrote: »
    And they know that & will change, I think it's going to be hard fought & it'll sadly go to the patriots, but I want to be pleasantly surprised.

I don't know.... they didn't look great against Carolina or Arizona before that. The personnel will be the same and with 2 weeks to figure it out, I fancy Belichick to throw a formidable gameplan together.

Seattle beat Green Bay by patching together some very unlikely stuff, fake field goal, botched onside kicks, hail mary 2 point conversions married with some very timid coaching decisions from the opposition. New England are too well coached for any of that to fly.

....all that said, I would obviously like the game to be close. And all this coming from someone who thought last year's game was going to be close and one for the ages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Seahawks
    I am perfect in the post season to this point with my picks so will take some time over this, but the heart is obviously shouting Patriots at me.

poldebruin wrote: »
    I don't know.... they didn't look great against Carolina or Arizona before that. The personnel will be the same and with 2 weeks to figure it out, I fancy Belichick to throw a formidable gameplan together.

Seattle beat Green Bay by patching together some very unlikely stuff, fake field goal, botched onside kicks, hail mary 2 point conversions married with some very timid coaching decisions from the opposition. New England are too well coached for any of that to fly.

....all that said, I would obviously like the game to be close. And all this coming from someone who thought last year's game was going to be close and one for the ages.

Once again I'm struck with the thought, "How the hell did the Packers lose that game?".

Mad, Ted.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Quite surprised to see double the amount of people choosing the Patriots over the Seahawks thus far. I thought it'd be closer than that on the poll.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭CJC86

Seahawks
    Paully D wrote: »
    Quite surprised to see double the amount of people choosing the Patriots over the Seahawks thus far. I thought it'd be closer than that on the poll.

I dunno, maybe they watched both games last night... :P

Its all that Pats and AFC-ers influence on the forum :p

Mark me down for the Hawks anyway, I think Avril can get the pressure on Brady and the secondary is water tight unlike the Ravens which was their downfall. Colts defence was very weak. Pats are 0-2 in Glendale also :P

• Advertisement

I'm waiting until after the game to vote.

Edit: I see that option has been shut off.

Advertisement