Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do some gay men talk differently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

You get eaten alive in that forum for asking questions.

The gays like like to keep their lips tightly sealed...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Why do people insist on referring to homosexuals as "the gays?". It makes them sound like some alien species. You never hear of "the straights".

On the topic of the accent, this is like asking 'why do some black people like fried chicken?'. It's generalising and pointless. Some people adopt the stereotypical mannerisms to make them more identifiable, to feel comfortable with themselves. It's true a lot of gay guys avoid the camp side of things but nobody should hold it against them. Live and let live.
    Lyaiera wrote: »
    The term is "breeders."
    I know that term but it's not very nice to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Cydoniac wrote: »
    Why do people insist on referring to homosexuals as "the gays?". It makes them sound like some alien species. You never hear of "the straights".

The term is "breeders."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Cydoniac wrote: »

It's just for 'the' craic. No gays were hurt in this post.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

You're not the publican off The Savage Eye by any chance ?

Another fan :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Someone linked to a tattoo/piercing place's website in the Cork forum. I looked at the list of piercings they do. I couldn't tell you what two thirds of those body parts/piercings are. :eek:

I don't even know if I could name all my piercings :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

Is it just me or do the gay guys who have this accent all have a lisp?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Fart wrote: »
    Is it just me or do the gay guys who have this accent all have a lisp?

It's just you.

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    It's just you.

<cowboy accent>
    There's a snake in ma ear!
    </cowboy accent>

<cowboy accent>
    There's a snake in ma ear!
    </cowboy accent>

or is it a thnake?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

to clarify:
    The stupid question askers need to get out more.

No such thing as a stupid question, only a stupid answer.

1ZRed wrote: »
    Why do some straight men wear skinny jeans, act/speak more effeminately, dress like gimps? Some just do.

They dont. Those men are gay, even if they deny it.

newmug wrote: »
    No such thing as a stupid question, only a stupid answer.

They dont. Those men are gay, even if they deny it.

Man standing on top of skyscraper asks 'if I jump will I bounce back up to the top?'

Woman on plane asks if it is possible to open a window to get a bit of fresh air?

Yes - there are stupid questions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Man standing on top of skyscraper asks 'if I jump will I bounce back up to the top?'

What if he had a bunjee cord?
    Woman on plane asks if it is possible to open a window to get a bit of fresh air?
    most planes would be fine if you open a window.

Yes - there are stupid questions.

Your examples weren't great though, in fairness.

Seaneh wrote: »

Your examples weren't great though, in fairness.

My priority right now is the classic episode who Dr Who I am trying to watch.

It would want to be one hell of a bungie cord to prevent him slapping his corpse off the side of the building.

Not if it is a pressured plane it isn't fine.

He still wouldn't bounce back to the top. It's a bungee cord, not a physics defying bungee cord.

You can only open the windows on smaller planes, military planes and in the cockpit. Given the vast majority of people fly via standard commercial routes and aren't pilots we would have to presume this woman is one of those, just based on probability. So yes, it would be foolish to ask if you could open a window.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Mitt Romney?! Is that you! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

The OP, who hasn't returned to the thread, is clearly a tiresome troll.

To those who are echoing his stupid question seriously: why do you care about things that don't affect you, like how some other people might speak?

• Administrators Posts: 53,445 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I just put it down to some gay men wanting the world to know that they are gay. Doesn't bother me or annoy me, I just ignore it.

Nah, he's just off checking if he has a thnake in his ear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Hippies! wrote: »
    I haven't heard the lisp thing in a gay person in quite a while, is that gone out of fashion now?

It's not so much a lisp - more of a hiss, with emphasis on the sibilant 's'. It's an affectation no doubt.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭rolliepoley

it pays to be camp, its all to do with popularity, as in i'am gay so what...
    its all just put on.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

Ummm, I've met many gay guys who are in the closet but have camp voices and clearly aren't trying to be found out. I find myself sounding camp sometimes and I definitely don't put it on, it just happens. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Spiritual

There is nosceintific evidence that the prostate is directly linked to the vocal cords and over stimulation will cause tightening of the vocal cords.

This is why it is recommended that a prostate exam should only be carried out once a year so as to avoid a high pitched tone being developed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

To those who are echoing his stupid question seriously: why do you care about things that don't affect you, like how some other people might speak?

I'm not sure you quite get the idea behind discussion forums. People generally start threads to discuss topics which interest them or to satisfy their curiosity. In this instance the OP was curious about a particular sounding voice which is quite common amongst homosexual men.

If you look at the list of thread topics I believe you'll find many which don't affect the OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Spiritual

Moo, I can hear the squeak from here. :) :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,985 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Spiritual wrote: »
    There is nosceintific evidence that the prostate is directly linked to the vocal cords and over stimulation will cause tightening of the vocal cords.

This is why it is recommended that a prostate exam should only be carried out once a year so as to avoid a high pitched tone being developed.

Either that or stop dropping ice-lollies down the front of your pants.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭flash1080

I'm back. Please see below:
    I'm not sure you quite get the idea behind discussion forums. People generally start threads to discuss topics which interest them or to satisfy their curiosity. In this instance the OP was curious about a particular sounding voice which is quite common amongst homosexual men.

If you look at the list of thread topics I believe you'll find many which don't affect the OP.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 20 eddiethornton

flash1080 wrote: »
    You know the type of camp accent I mean.

What's the deal?

One of my colleague is a queer. Like seriously gay, he's a lovely guy but his voice drives me nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

flash1080 wrote: »
    Why do seome gay men talk differently?
    Well, I don't. I have me accent, right
    You get eaten alive in that forum for asking questions.
    Not to mention the general absence of any sense of humour over there :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭The Humble Sausage

I do believe that you're talking about this voice:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement