Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do some gay men talk differently?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭ashers22

efb wrote: »
    Would that it were
    I imagine gay bars would be highly ornate oak panneled snugs where gentlemen could gather in their smoking gowns for some good old fashioned revelery with the chaps after a long arduous day in the office.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

strobe wrote: »
    I guess in situations like that it's possible he always would have said things like "Oh, I love your ear rings" or whatever but as he was in the closet he didn't, but now that he's openly gay he no longer feels the need to hide that side of his personality?

Maybe he thought all the previous earring were horrible?

Honestly - Dye give a ****?

You'd hate it if you ever left Ireland; where everyone speaks differently to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Links234 wrote: »
    like I said above, it seems to me more likely that the act was pre-coming out, that sounding like a "normal person" as you like to say was the bit that was put on. being in the closet is a seriously rough place to be, and I know myself you can be incredibly mindful of every mannerism, making sure you walk the walk and talk the talk, lest anyone find out... that to me seems like where the only acting or putting on is involved.

And in addition to that, a lot of people play with their personalities after coming out. If you've kept hidden or suppressed an element of yourself, when you come out there will be a "new" element of you, one that you aren't fully accustomed to. People need time to figure out and explore who they are. Why begrudge someone that opportunity?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,004 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

efb wrote: »
    Can you advise the correct amount?

Just enough to prevent ear-bleed.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

How is a fake accent part of their personality?

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    You'd hate it if you ever left Ireland; where everyone speaks differently to you.

Missing the point. The OP is referring to a accent that they perceive to be 'put on', rather than to a simple foreign accent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Hippies!

I haven't heard the lisp thing in a gay person in quite a while, is that gone out of fashion now?

Seaneh wrote: »

What accent would you like them to have?
    Irish - which one?
    Dublin - which one?

Should they get the Dort to the Jorge or the Lew-ass to de Lounge?
    Can they have a car or must they drive a veh-hicle?
    Can their kitchen be stylish and contemporary or will mod-ren suffice?
    :confused:

Hippies! wrote: »
    I haven't heard the lisp thing in a gay person in quite a while, is that gone out of fashion now?

Thpanish tooked oor lithps.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Lyaiera wrote: »
    And in addition to that, a lot of people play with their personalities after coming out. If you've kept hidden or suppressed an element of yourself, when you come out there will be a "new" element of you, one that you aren't fully accustomed to. People need time to figure out and explore who they are. Why begrudge someone that opportunity?
    I know I didn't have a face full of piercings until after I came out as transgender, it's one of the many little ways I expressed myself after trying to keep my head down for so long. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

Two of my dearest friends in the whole world who I would do anything for are gay- they don't really speak any differently to straight men or any differently to how they would have before they came out, but I would say that for one of them his mannerisms changed a bit, just became a bit more flamboyant I suppose. Doesn't bother me that much, he probably spent long enough not able to express himself.

But, I would definitely agree that some gay men have a specific kind of "voice", and friends of my gay friends have it, and yes, it is irritating but not to the point where I let it bother me. I know some straight people whose accents have changed depending on who they socialize with (mostly Dahblin yah yah types) so it's not unique to gay people.

What does bug me are the ones who are really loud, in your face and make over-sexual comments in general conversation. I'm not a prude by any stretch of the imagination, but I don't accept that kind of talk from straight people and I don't accept it from gay people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Most Gay men don't talk like "that".

Not all Men who talk like "that" are gay

Most gay men you would never guess...(look around, I bet there's one within sight of you right now.... :-)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    What accent would you like them to have?
    Irish - which one?
    Dublin - which one?

Should they get the Dort to the Jorge or the Lew-ass to de Lounge?
    Can they have a car or must they drive a veh-hicle?
    Can their kitchen be stylish and contemporary or will mod-ren suffice?
    :confused:

They should use whatever is actually their accent, not change it to fit some stereo type from a scene they wish to feel they belong to.

People should have the self confidence and belief to be themselves.

They should use whatever is actually their accent, not change it to fit some stereo type from a scene they wish to feel they belong to.

I think they might know themselves better than you do, in all fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Why do some straight men wear skinny jeans, act/speak more effeminately, dress like gimps? Some just do.

The only reason why that stereotype exists is because the gay guys that act very camp and speak like that stick out, whereas the majority that don't have any "gay" mannerisms don't and blend into the rest and go unnoticed.

So a person is not allowed to change their manner of speaking?

Sorry people from Healy-Rae land but that is 'your' accent and you whill half to schtick wit it troo tick an tin or Seaneh will be getting upshet wit oo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Lyaiera wrote: »

That makes sense, but I do think there is a lot of put on camp acting out of those who come out.

Its annoying if I think about it too much as some of my friends went down the same path over the years ~ so I don't think about it and let 'em get on with their lives and hope they're happy & safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Ando's Saggy Bottom

Easier said than done for some (actually most Id wager) people in fairness.

People adopt modes and mannerisms all the time and for as far back as society goes. It's one of the primary methods of identification within a group, culture or society and a method of declaring yourself to be part of that group to people outside it. Membership of cultural groups is a huge part of personality and even moreso a part of identity. It may be an affection but at the moment "gay culture" hasn't existed for very long, at least not modern gay culture. This is one of the big complaints with stereotyping, especially as done by the media. Virtually every minority group and even subsections of majority groups have complained about their representation in the media on the basis that it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy as to people's behaviour. And the same groups condemn the lack of decent role models that fall outside stereotypes.

How many camp and diva like gay men have you seen on TV in comparison to other "types" of gay men. The Wire attracted huge applause for it's portrayal of gay people, Omar is the most badass gay man ever to appear on TV and he was in no way camp or diva like, the Kima Greggs character received equal amounts of praise. Another show, the Channel 4 Queer as Folk showed a broad section of the gay community, and it equally won a huge amount of praise. Yet still, shows like that are few and far between. And this leads us onto a chicken and egg scenario, is the media creating the camp gay, is it reality, or is it a distortion of reality. I would argue it's a horrible distortion of reality. Not that camp gay people don't exist or that they're "bad gays" but that for someone trying to figure out how they fit into the world, a world that can be hostile there will be a natural leaning towards the examples of cultural identity that are most known of.

And like I said, I don't put any value on being either a camp gay man, or a "straight-acting" gay man, or anything else. It's simply that some people who come out are going to play around with their full identity for the first time and it can go many different ways. And one of the obvious ways to go is towards the "role models" as seen in the media.

But then again, I don't know how much of anyone's personality is nailed down. People discover they like new things, or find ways to change themselves all the time. I don't see why someone shouldn't be a cocktail sipping party animal one day and a studious librarian the next (or even both at the same time.) As long as the person wants to do that who gives a fcuk?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

That makes sense, but I do think there is a lot of put on camp acting out of those who come out.

Its annoying if I think about it too much as some of my friends went down the same path over the years ~ so I don't think about it and let 'em get on with their lives and hope they're happy & safe.

I wouldn't think so, they've basically been holding themselves back for years because they couldn't be themselves. They're just being who they are and can't help it.
    I think maybe they come across strong because they're finally able to act the way that's normal to them once they come out and they might over do it initially, but I don't think it's really put on because camp guys get slated by the majority of masculine gay men a lot of the time for being that way.
    They don't have a real incentive to pile it on because that's not what a lot of more normal acting gay men want.

Links234 wrote: »
    I know I didn't have a face full of piercings until after I came out as transgender, it's one of the many little ways I expressed myself after trying to keep my head down for so long. ;)

Someone linked to a tattoo/piercing place's website in the Cork forum. I looked at the list of piercings they do. I couldn't tell you what two thirds of those body parts/piercings are. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,477 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

My brother is gay, the whole camp scene (and gay pride) bugs him big time - he doesn't get why people act differently when they come out. He also thinks that gay pride by definition is pointing out a difference instead of looking for equality.

A buddy of mine is also gay, and thinks more or less the same as my brother. I was talking to him about the whole camp thing and flamboyant-ness of some gay people, and he said that from what he knows as someone who has studied psychology is that it's a learned trait. Because the well-known gay people up to recent years have been the camp types, people who come-out can sometimes adopt this campness to attempt to (in their minds) fit-in. He said it's a sort of coping mechanism.

Based on that thinking, I would imagine that as more people are comfortable in publicly coming out/etc, the OTT campness will die-away to an extent. Being gay is (I hope) not viewed as a big deal in modern Ireland by the vast majority, so will not need people to self-identify/cope with it, it'll just be a fact of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I hate people that are different to me and my ma and the lads down the pub. Why can't everyone just be exactly the way I expect them to be.

Meangadh wrote: »
    But, I would definitely agree that some gay men have a specific kind of "voice", and friends of my gay friends have it, and yes, it is irritating but not to the point where I let it bother me. I know some straight people whose accents have changed depending on who they socialize with (mostly Dahblin yah yah types) so it's not unique to gay people.

That's called vocal mirroring and a lot of people do it without ever realising, and most people do it to some extent. It's an inbuilt trait humans have to put the person they're communicating with at ease. It's generally easiest to spot with families. Most families will have anything ranging from a subtle to a strong idiosyncratic style of communication. If you're friends with someone who moved to the city you're in a few years ago, and you happen to hear them talking with family you'll probably notice changes in their accent and use of words.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Why do boardsies seem to develop a common mannerism after a while- what's with that???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Zillah wrote: »
    I hate people that are different to me and my ma and the lads down the pub. Why can't everyone just be exactly the way I expect them to be.

Thats not what anyone is talking about here. The question is why do some gay guys contruct this persona, most noticeable of which is an affectated voice. I mean If a person is from Dublin or Cork or the North they speak a certain way because of geographical reasons. There is no Gayville as far as I know! Some gay guys from all over the country (and the world) seem to speak the same way though. Its quare! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

dulpit wrote: »
    I would imagine that as more people are comfortable in publicly coming out/etc, the OTT campness will die-away to an extent. Being gay is (I hope) not viewed as a big deal in modern Ireland by the vast majority, so will not need people to self-identify/cope with it, it'll just be a fact of life.

You'd think so.. But I was up in Bundoran with a gay friend three weeks ago and two lads actually took exception to him being gay ~ now the same lad is a bit loud and in your face about it but however two lads at the bar took real offense at him being gay.

One (looked like the 'I shot JR' guy on Father Ted lol) actually asked him "Are you seriously standing there telling me you're a homosexual man and you've no shame?".

This ended up in a slight altercation and we left the bar.

Before anyone accuses me of a wind up I wrote about it in the Donegal forum when I got home.

Apart from scumbags roaming the streets of the city center (in Dublin) almost without exception all adults I know are pretty accepting of the gay community ~ but the camp thing does annoy people.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Agricola wrote: »
    Thats not what anyone is talking about here. The question is why do some gay guys contruct this persona, most noticeable of which is an affectated voice. I mean If a person is from Dublin or Cork or the North they speak a certain way because of geographical reasons. There is no Gayville as far as I know! Some gay guys from all over the country (and the world) seem to speak the same way though. Its quare! :D

You're not the publican off The Savage Eye by any chance ?

• Advertisement

Agricola wrote: »

There actually is a Gayville - it has branches in Manchester, San Francisco, Amsterdam, Sydney, New York, Austin, Northhampton, Hebden Bridge, London, Brighton etc etc.

It has it's own culture - and even it's own language (Polari - the word 'yob' comes from Polari).

Gay man from Cork probably has more in common with Gay man from Manchester then straight man from Tralee.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement