Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do some gay men talk differently?

Options
  • 02-12-2012 2:32pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭

You know the type of camp accent I mean.

What's the deal?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

For people whos gaydars are broken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Their jocks are to tight?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

As a wise child on the late late said why be the same when you can be different

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Yeah, it's a major bugbear of mine.

It's like this quasi-american over exaggerated accent that I've heard from gay men from all over Ireland, the UK and even Australia, with hints of their local twang. And it's only ever from the ones that are camp as a row of tents, the types that make Graham Norton seem like the last bastion of masculinity. It only bothers me because it's, obviously, put on intentionally to "fit in" or fit the stereo type they seem themselves as. Can they not just have their own ****ing identity and be happy with that? Why use a fake accent and ham up their mannerisms just to fit a stereo type?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

The gays are very popular in AH this month

• Advertisement

The gays are very popular in AH

Fixed your post.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Why are some people so obsessed with the gheys?
    Why do some gay men have a particular accent?
    Why do some lesbians use dildos?
    Why do some gay men love the Eurovision?
    Why don't some lesbians look like 'proper' women?

:rolleyes:

Why, why, why if people really want answers don't they ask in the LGBT forum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Gaylexia something something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Why do want to hurt gay people?

Leave them alone ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Why are some people so obsessed with the gheys?
    Why do some gay men have a particular accent?
    Why do some lesbians use dildos?
    Why do some gay men love the Eurovision?
    Why don't some lesbians look like 'proper' women?

:rolleyes:

I don't know, why do they?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭ashers22

I think all gay men should talk like Stephen Fry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭The Davestator

A mate of mine came out a few years back and suddenly started talking like a girl.

I asked him why but he couldn't answer!

Oh, I love your ear rings, etc

Weird.

I don't know, why do they?

Why do who what?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Perhaps they need to get out more?

I was just being difficult but thank you for answering anyway :D

I was just being difficult but thank you for answering anyway :D

You're welcome - but I did edit when I realised I wasn't sure which who doing what you meant...:D

to clarify:
    The stupid question askers need to get out more.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

ashers22 wrote: »

All men should speak like him! Every conversation would sound like an Oscar Wilde scene. Positively delightful.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Well I met a girl from Cork last week with a rediculous American accent, mentioned that she had lived elsewhere as a child and I thought that might explain it, nope it was England. Why does anyone put on an accent or talk differently? It's not just gay men.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Seaneh wrote: »
    It only bothers me because it's, obviously, put on intentionally to "fit in"

why do you assume that it's put on? I think it's much more likely that gay men would've put on an accent or try to adopt a way of speaking like the heterosexual majority while they were in the closet, and then after coming out, the inhibitions and the need to hide themselves or keep their heads down are gone, and they're more free to be themselves? it's the majority of heterosexual men are the ones trying to intentionally alter their mannerisms or way of talking in order to fit in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

You get eaten alive in that forum for asking questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    Well I met a girl from Cork last week with a rediculous American accent, mentioned that she had lived elsewhere as a child and I thought that might explain it, nope it was England. Why does anyone put on an accent or talk differently? It's not just gay men.

Nah just gay men and Corkmen:D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 69 ✭✭TheFisherKing

flash1080 wrote: »
    Why do some gay men talk differently?

You know the type of camp accent I mean.

http://tinyurl.com/3jyvo3

Links234 wrote: »
    why do you assume that it's put on?

Because I know several gay men who only started to really ham it up after they came out, at ages varying from 15 to 25. Pre coming out, they sounded like a normal person. Come out and boom, sound like brian dowling impersonators and are suddenly camping it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,007 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

You're welcome - but I did edit when I realised I wasn't sure which who doing what you meant...:D

to clarify:
    The stupid question askers need to get out more.

The question seems to be about gay men who come out more than they need to.:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭GRMA

Fella I have been friends with since first day of primary school came out as gay a few years ago (well I knew and so did a few other close friends cause he told us) and he changed his voice - it's definitely put on as he never ever spoke like that before, even when he was with just me or other people he was out to - you don't go from a louth accent to that overnight

Asked him about it once because quite frankly he sounded ridiculous and he said he just did it to sound gay.

Subsequently he's gone back to speaking normally.

Stupid, but sure it's no great harm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Because I know several gay men who only started to really ham it up after they came out, at ages varying from 15 to 25. Pre coming out, they sounded like a normal person. Come out and boom, sound like brian dowling impersonators and are suddenly camping it up.

like I said above, it seems to me more likely that the act was pre-coming out, that sounding like a "normal person" as you like to say was the bit that was put on. being in the closet is a seriously rough place to be, and I know myself you can be incredibly mindful of every mannerism, making sure you walk the walk and talk the talk, lest anyone find out... that to me seems like where the only acting or putting on is involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

ashers22 wrote: »

Would that it were

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

ejmaztec wrote: »
    The question seems to be about gay men who come out more than they need to.:P

Can you advise the correct amount?

The majority of gay men I know from youth are the same now as they were before coming out. A small handful went from one personality to brian dowling in the space of a few weeks after coming out, it's those people I think are putting on the accent, hamming up their mannerisms and being "divas". Of course there are also men I've known from my youth who were always as camp as a row of tents, and that's different again. But even then, the accents are not natural. Whatever about having effeminate mannerisms, the ****ing accents are a joke.

I know several guys who started talking all deep when they began to get interested in the wimmenz - ages varying from 13 to 50.
    They see a female they find attractive and boom - it's Chuck Norris impersonators suddenly butching it up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

A mate of mine came out a few years back and suddenly started talking like a girl.

I asked him why but he couldn't answer!

Oh, I love your ear rings, etc

Weird.

I guess in situations like that it's possible he always would have said things like "Oh, I love your ear rings" or whatever but as he was in the closet he didn't, but now that he's openly gay he no longer feels the need to hide that side of his personality?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement