Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black economy/ fake goods/ dole cheats & reporting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

How about those that cheat,abuse and steal from other citizens? Do you ever wonder if they feel any guilt?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

srsly78 wrote: »
    Before people start going completely nuts they should realise that people are allowed to earn a small amount on the side without paying tax. Yes even if on the dole. However they are supposed to declare this extra income.

So definitely report serious abuses, but note that people selling mince pies are christmas may not in fact be dodging tax.
    If on the dole you pay tax and extra income is taxable. You may not need to pay income tax.
    You could work Saturdays and Sundays and keep your dole. Think you still can too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

If you are that bothered report me, see where that gets you, I forgot this is AH and some posters need everything explained to them in easy steps.
    You are nit picking for the sake of nit picking trying to make yourself look all PC, wasting your time on me.

What would I be reporting you for :confused:

Take a look at Anyone's post a couple above yours. He states he has an issue with single mothers.....who are living with someone. His post makes sense and I can appreciate what he means.

Your post doesn't elaborate on anything. All i can take from it is that all single mothers are a drain on society. How wrong you are. And me, PC? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

If you saw the house of your elderly neighbour (fellow citizen) being broken into, would you ring the gardai ( rat on them)?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

Do you really think black marketeers or social welfare cheats don't hurt anyone?

Really?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

To be honest it depends on what they're doing.

If someone was making a few quid on the side while drawing the dole I wouldn't care. But if I saw someone making a proper wage and claiming benefits fraudulently I'd shop them.

F*ck that sh*t. It's my money they're taking.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭jessiejam

FFS It shouldn't be up to the general population to report anyone. There should be systems in place to prevent fraud on every level within the SW.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭northernpower

A girl lives beside my parents, my parents own their house but hers is council, all paid for. She has 2 children to different fathers, the father of the youngest lives with her but isn't on the residency so his income isn't considered when she is getting her allowances for housing, children, unemployment etc...., she also works for cash in hand in bar, and her brother a good friend of mine throws her £50 a week for minding his kids while him and his wife are at work.

This is the epitome of someone just taking the piss, she doesn't want for anything as far as material goods are concerned. Her kids are absolutely spoiled with computers and games and anything they need, and they have a cinema screen sized tv in the corner.

Now she is a lovely girl, friendly with my parents and all, and they dote on her kids, but sometimes it must absolutely stick in my parents throats to see how much she is able to spend on her kids and her house and everything. I'd say my parents would have loved to have spoiled us the same but they worked hard to own their house and when my dad was out of work my mums income just about covered the mortgage and kept us in clothes.

Anyway, as I said this is the epitome of someone taking the piss, and probably the basis behind the 'single mothers' comment from a few posts back. But I know my parents would never say anything, even if they weren't friendly with her (believe me there's plenty of others in the same housing estate at exactly the same) so are we part of the problem for facilitating this? Probably, but I don't think too many people would report someone in the same circumstance.

• Advertisement

You do understand that social welfare comes from taxpayer's money don't you?

It's not a bottomless pot that everyone gets to dive into and grab what they can from.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭signostic

A girl lives beside my parents, my parents own their house but hers is council, all paid for. She has 2 children to different fathers, the father of the youngest lives with her but isn't on the residency so his income isn't considered when she is getting her allowances for housing, children, unemployment etc...., .

Next door to me is a similar situation, single woman, 2 kids, live in bf not declared, he actually runs a clothes alteration business from the house.She told me she claims job seekers, single parent, rent & fuel allowance, medical card plus other freebies from the SW. Would I report her ...no but the SW should have systems in place to counteract these claims, thats what we pay the public service for isn`t it :confused:

signostic wrote: »
    Next door to me is a similar situation, single woman, 2 kids, live in bf not declared, he actually runs a clothes alteration business from the house.She told me she claims job seekers, single parent, rent & fuel allowance, medical card plus other freebies from the SW. Would I report her ...no but the SW should have systems in place to counteract these claims, thats what we pay the public service for isn`t it :confused:

Would you report a murder or would you just say, "Sure that's why we have the Gardai isn't it?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

Who buys fake goods aside from a few santa hats and whatnot on Jervis street every xmas ? I don't know any myself, even in this climate.

On the black economy, someone looking for work while on the dole, but doing a few nixers like delivery service, babysitting or DIY isn't hurting me or anyone else.

I'd view people who rat on the above as a billy no mates type who hides behind the curtains.

MaxSteele wrote: »
    I'd view people who rat on the above as a billy no mates type who hides behind the curtains.

I know a guy who can get you curtains. Good price. Nice deal. You buy! YOU BUY@!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Heard recently that there is a huge increase in the no. of people being reported for working the black economy, false Social welfare claims and even for selling copyrited and fake goods.
    Facebook is rife with it & I'm sure a raid on an xmas craft fair would expose a few more.

Do you think people should report if they know someone?
    Is there a serious problem in your opinion or are some crimes not so bad?

Would you report someone?
    Would you even know where to to go or who to call?

Money is tight, people who may do a little on the side to support themselves and their family, in a consumerist holiday such as Christmas should not be targetted, they are small fry. If people honestly have reported others over making items and selling them in fairs, considering how small an amount that would make a person, then it's quite depressing.
    However, someone defrauding society at large, when they know they shouldn't, by claiming for things in a fradulent manner, is wrong.
    On the other side of the coin, society needs to be careful that it doesn't turn in on itself, distrust of people, suspicision, an orwellian environment... divide and conquer. The question you have asked, in any case, is not black and white, but many shades of grey ( not fifty shades though)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

john_cappa wrote: »
    This is a mentally from childhood that comes to adulthood for certain situations. It is also common in harder criminal circles, rats are bad etc. Guards are ***** and rats are the enemy.

Very sheep like to follow this mantra.

These people trying to make a few quid in tough times aren't hardened criminals though.

The sheep are those who are easily led to grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭signostic

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Would you report a murder or would you just say, "Sure that's why we have the Gardai isn't it?"

You make a fair point.... it astonished me how easy she said it was to claim all of her allowances...surely there should be more checks and balances

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

You make a fair point.... it astonished me how easy she said it was to claim all of her allowances...surely there should be more checks and balances

More checks and balances would require more clerical staff and/or computer systems to catch. That's being paid for by the taxpayer.

So they want you to report people to save on that. If it concerns you that much, report her, but if you don't you have no right to complain about what she's claiming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

If you did report someone would they know it was you? More people might do it if it was anonymous. Anyone fraudulently claiming social welfare should be reported - it might allow more money for those who genuinely need it and reduce tax for those in employment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

jessiejam wrote: »
    FFS It shouldn't be up to the general population to report anyone. There should be systems in place to prevent fraud on every level within the SW.

So in summary, you want them to be caught, without anyone telling on them.

If nobody co-operates with the system, how is it supposed to find out who's cheating it short of implementing some kind of fascist-esque state where everyone is spied upon at all times to ensure they're not defrauding the state?

There should be definitely.

It does seem to be very easy to claim money that you're not entitled to. But it's very hard to prove somethings without making it ridiculously hard for people to actually get money that they are entitled to I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

More people might do it if it was anonymous.

It is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

There's a 'report suspected fraud' function on their website and your own details are not one of the required fields.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

If you did report someone would they know it was you? More people might do it if it was anonymous. Anyone fraudulently claiming social welfare should be reported - it might allow more money for those who genuinely need it and reduce tax for those in employment.

What if some of those people you want to report actually genuinely do need a few extra quid?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Reporting people is never going to reduce tax or increase benefits for others.

It's also a sticky wicket to get into, how do you know that the person isn't already declaring what they are doing and are still entitled to their benefits. Would the reporter be privy to their dealings with the social welfare and their private details?
    Also, the person selling a few cakes at stalls would generally not be making money but might be trying to get "word" out to increase orders and therefore move into a legitimate business venture.
    FWIW, if you want to sell food products at fayres etc you have to have public liability insurance etc. So therefore it will mostly be declared.
    I used to sell cakes in the UK and I was getting the dole. I declared it every time I signed on but I was working at a loss so it didn't affect my benefits.
    So from the outside you could be getting the wrong end of a ****ty stick.

Me personally I wouldn't report anyone cos I don't know their details and more importantly its none of my ****ing business what others do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Mince Pie wrote: »

The money they were fraudulently claiming has to go somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Me personally I wouldn't report anyone cos I don't know their details and more importantly its none of my ****ing business what others do.

It becomes your business when they start defrauding the government of your tax money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

pow wow wrote: »
    The money they were fraudulently claiming has to go somewhere.

Of course it will go somewhere but I very much doubt it will go to reduce tax.

• Advertisement

It's also a sticky wicket to get into, how do you know that the person isn't already declaring what they are doing and are still entitled to their benefits.

I would presume in that case they would still receive their benefits.

I don't think they just get a report and go 'Someone said you're defrauding us so we're cutting you off without any evidence whatsoever."

Advertisement