Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black economy/ fake goods/ dole cheats & reporting

Options
  • 27-11-2012 2:52pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 86 ✭✭

Heard recently that there is a huge increase in the no. of people being reported for working the black economy, false Social welfare claims and even for selling copyrited and fake goods.
    Facebook is rife with it & I'm sure a raid on an xmas craft fair would expose a few more.

Do you think people should report if they know someone?
    Is there a serious problem in your opinion or are some crimes not so bad?

Would you report someone?
    Would you even know where to to go or who to call?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Personally I would not report anybody for making a few quid for Christmas. When Bertie Ahern can claim the source of his unexplained money was a win on the gee gees and he continues to draw a pension of 3 grand a week, why should I report a person selling mince pies at a Christmas Fair?

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Can we deal with poker cheats first?

I swear to God my mate Rickie is hiding cards under the table somewhere. F*cking Royal Flush my ass! :mad:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

It all depends on the severity and the state of that persons well being/families well being.

If it was deemed necessary to act in such a way then, no, I wouldn't say anything. People who are less fortunate to have jobs need to live too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

I was working once upon a time with two lads. They vanished one Thursday, so I asked the boss where they were, because I was left holding the shovel(s). They'd gone to sign on.

In truth I felt badly done by, because they were on the same money as myself. I didn't and wouldn't report them though. It's not my job and if the system is broken then it's the system which needs to be addressed.

I don't have a problem with the black economy. I would have more of a problem with the situation above and would report someone for fake goods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

when they start at the top, i'll report from the bottom.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 86 ✭✭pennypitstop

I know someone, council housed with a few kids & husband out of work. She works hard & sells homemade buns at local car boot sales (will never be rich at it but gets off her ass and makes an effort). Someone reported her with details of where she had been etc. and she was called in to explain herself.

I don't think this is the sort of person who should be targeted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

Everyone should be targetted reported, no point in whining o about the Berties, and Drumms when you do nothing about the chancers who are working and signing.
    Who do you think pays for these cheats?....We all do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭hyperborean

Rats out

Rats out

Get your rats out. Get your rats out.

Get your rats out for the traps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

The one most common tax/welfare cheat I detest is single mothers who are actually living with their partner. I dont report them, but I am very tempted to.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭leonidas83

Anyone trying to survive, improve their own situation is fine by me.

People trying to scam/ milk the system because of pure greed is another thing & their is plenty of that sort out there still. Also alot of these people are putting other small to medium size businesses out of work because there being continually undercut for work by people on the dole/not paying taxes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭HeyThereDeliah

Everyone tries to justify it but fraud, dole cheats, minding kids not declaring it, single mothers etc its all wrong regardless of how anyone tries to justify it, those of us who are working are paying tax etc and have to manage on what we earn.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,027 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Its takes a special breed to pick up the phone and rat & squeal on their fellow citizens:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

Everyone tries to justify it but fraud, dole cheats, minding kids not declaring it, single mothers etc its all wrong regardless of how anyone tries to justify it, those of us who are working are paying tax etc and have to manage on what we earn.

single mothers are wrong you say?

easy targets in this State

always have been

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

If you want to be a rat. It's a matter for your own conscience, I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I haven a clue if i would report someone or not, When you are at the bottom of the heap in society and have little to no chance of getting legitimate employment you still want the same as every one else including a good Christmas for your children and for your family not to go with out.

When I was out this morning I saw someone scavenging a few fallen tree branches obviously he was bringing them home for the fire, people have alway had ways of trying to provide for their family's and some of them are not legitimate but its debatable if they are morally wrong. We use to keep a huge amount of turkeys when I was child, they were all killed and plucked the week before Christmas by men who were on the dole my father knew where to find them nobody passed any head to this.

easy targets in this State

always have been

Lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Michael Weston

I know someone, council housed with a few kids & husband out of work. She works hard & sells homemade buns at local car boot sales (will never be rich at it but gets off her ass and makes an effort). Someone reported her with details of where she had been etc. and she was called in to explain herself.

I don't think this is the sort of person who should be targeted.

Why shouldnt she be targeted ? Welfare fraud is welfare fraud, if its just a few quid she is making why not declare it.

Everyone is moaning about tax dodgers, bankers corrupt politicans and here we have a thread condoning people defrauding the state of taxpayers money.

Its a complete joke whats going on in this country !!

Lovely.

:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Michael Weston

Before you edited it to suit your needs the poster said single mothers living with partners and not declaring it is wrong.

Before you edited it to suit your needs the poster said single mothers living with partners and not declaring it is wrong.

Get you facts right watson :rolleyes:

I did not say that. I mentioned single mothers as another poster mentioned single mothers living with partners. careful getting of that high horse, some people will jump on every little detail, sad IMO.

I report nitpickers myself and those who willfully misinterpret posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

rat & squeal on their fellow citizens:D

This is a mentally from childhood that comes to adulthood for certain situations. It is also common in harder criminal circles, rats are bad etc. Guards are ***** and rats are the enemy.

Very sheep like to follow this mantra.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Before people start going completely nuts they should realise that people are allowed to earn a small amount on the side without paying tax. Yes even if on the dole. However they are supposed to declare this extra income.

So definitely report serious abuses, but note that people selling mince pies are christmas may not in fact be dodging tax.

I'll stay up here for another while, ta. The above is your post and all you say is "single mothers". Do you want to ring up a helpline and to report a single mother for being a the Spar shop or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭whatlliwear

I have never reported anyone but I found out recently that a guy I know is claiming Disability & working away getting €100 a day (tax free) on top of their claim.. This is very very wrong..

I'll stay up here for another while, ta. The above is your post and all you say is "single mothers". Do you want to ring up a helpline and to report a single mother for being a the Spar shop or what?

If you are that bothered report me, see where that gets you, I forgot this is AH and some posters need everything explained to them in easy steps.
    You are nit picking for the sake of nit picking trying to make yourself look all PC, wasting your time on me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement