Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

is it just me, or is moncrieff strictly allergic to criticism ?

any time i've heard a critical text being read-out, he goes on a long, awkward, extra-jugular defensive.

he's the weak chink in the NT weekday schedule IMO

I don't agree with this? I would have thought he is quite strong in his slot. You obviously haven't heard George rant at critism.

I quite like Sean love how he covers a wide range of topics in a light way and really like when he gets foreign author ect on .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

Calhoun wrote: »
    I don't agree with this? I would have thought he is quite strong in his slot. You obviously haven't heard George rant at critism.

I quite like Sean love how he covers a wide range of topics in a light way and really like when he gets foreign author ect on .

I've commented on this before, Moncrieff really seems to take it to heart when he gets a negative text, then attempts to respond with smart alec type put down. It just comes across as being a litte bit pathetic and chucking his toys out of the pram because he was slagged off. Hook on the otherhand seems to love the criticism, the more personal the better, I think it feels it adds to his 'I'm an auld fart who has conquered the planet and don't care what anyone thinks of me' persona which he so desperately wants to pass off so often...which of course is also completely untrue, he's an egotistical fat slob who loves attention of any kind.

I think Moncrieff is an arsehole by the way, very annoying, his career also seems to be going further and further downhill which may explain his petit defensiveness at criticism, how many years now on newstalk with debating fascinating mid afternoon slots on topics such as excrement, vulva and farts?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

any time i've heard a critical text being read-out, he goes on a long, awkward, extra-jugular defensive.

i've mentioned this before. while i still like the show, it's really bloody annoying when someone texts in with a vaguely conservative tone. some dude yesterday got called a bigot and a homophobe, perhaps for not agreeing with something colm o'gorman said when he was on. unless the texter is guaranteed a right of reply, it's a pretty nasty thing to say.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,936 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Most of the texters that Sean criticizes usually come across as arseholes themselves or have a gaping hole in their argument, on the rare occasion someone puts together a well reasoned alternative point of view Sean's response is usually 'fair enough'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

i've mentioned this before. while i still like the show, it's really bloody annoying when someone texts in with a vaguely conservative tone. some dude yesterday got called a bigot and a homophobe, perhaps for not agreeing with something colm o'gorman said when he was on. unless the texter is guaranteed a right of reply, it's a pretty nasty thing to say.

From what I remember, that text was bigoted and homphobic and he deserved what he got.

• Advertisement

Most of the texters that Sean criticizes usually come across as arseholes themselves or have a gaping hole in their argument, on the rare occasion someone puts together a well reasoned alternative point of view Sean's response is usually 'fair enough'

the texts, as far as i can remember, were along the lines of public displays of affection. if you tut when you see a gay couple doing it, then you're a homophobe etc.

someone i think did get a fair enough out of him when they said about using the phrase 'get a room' to a couple who are eating each other's face off.
    say it to a straight couple and everyone laughs it off, say it to a gay couple and then you're a homophobe.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,936 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

the texts, as far as i can remember, were along the lines of public displays of affection. if you tut when you see a gay couple doing it, then you're a homophobe etc.

someone i think did get a fair enough out of him when they said about using the phrase 'get a room' to a couple who are eating each other's face off.
    say it to a straight couple and everyone laughs it off, say it to a gay couple and then you're a homophobe.

Actually I didn't hear that bit, I was just speaking in general, the texters he gives out to usually come across as aggressive and ignorant but when but when someoe texts in an opposing view in a logical and thoughtful way he goes 'fair enough'

Just listened back there, the texter he called a bigoted homophobe/racist had texted in to congraulate an English taxi firm for providing white drivers on request and it must really wind up Mon "liberal-lefty" crieff and his liberal lefty gay pal, so as Foxtrot said he got what he deserved

It's at 9:30 here
    www.newstalk.ie/player/listen_back/8/13702/22nd_October_2014_-_Moncrieff_Part_2

Just listened back there, the texter he called a bigoted homophobe/racist had texted in to congraulate an English taxi firm for providing white drivers on request and it must really wind up Mon "liberal-lefty" crieff and his liberal lefty gay pal, so as Foxtrot said he got what he deserved

:eek::eek:

oh Christ!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,054 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

He can hardly match NT's big dog for thin-skinedness though...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

^^^ Kenny was dead right there.

The person who sent in that text must have little for doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Lapin wrote: »

It could have been me. I find Pat Kenny one of the most boring, condescending, jumped-up disc jockeys on the airwaves - and those are some of his best attributes. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭WILL NEVER LOG OFF

have to agree Lapin.

he lost his temper reading an insulting, personal message nobody should have to listen to.

Whereas Sean Moncrieff takes personally criticism which is not personal, and he makes it awkward.

If someone criticises my work, esp a client, i make a point of inviting them into another room to see what we can do. But personal attacks are just not on. I don't blame pat one bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

Good on Kenny for reading out the offending text and characterising him/her as 'scum'. Too many useless wasters use cover of relative anonymity to pour scorn on others, or put across harsh or extremist views with impunity. Not to mention out and out trolling and flaming on wider social media.

I've nothing against the odd come-uppance, so long as presenters and journalists don't use it as a pretext for more generalised shock jock broadcasting.

have to agree Lapin.

he lost his temper reading an insulting, personal message nobody should have to listen to.
    I thought Kenny was very temperate, at least in the linked youtube clip. Did he go on at length afterwards?

Crumbs. Una Mullaly on the Sunday Show. Straight over to Lyric for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,054 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

McDave wrote: »
    I thought Kenny was very temperate, at least in the linked youtube clip.

There was a touch of the Alan Partridges though you'd have to admit. As there was in this incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

That Fardy fella is a pretentious git.

That Fardy fella is a pretentious git.
    Loves the sound of his own voice.

I thought that slot was supposed to be ending a couple of months ago. They even announced it on the show IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

There was a touch of the Alan Partridges though you'd have to admit. As there was in this incident.

Yeh, and how did he manage shake free of his old, as he might say himself, soubriquet of The Plank? For me he's way more bland than he was on RTE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,443 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Fair play to Moncrief there. I thought he was very level in his criticism and didn't make it personal. Also, I was expecting him to resort to his usual sarcastic baby voice comments. The texter deserved everything that Moncrief aimed at him.
    Much better than many of his other comebacks.

As for Pat - ah good old Pat! I wouldn't expect anything less. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

The irony of listening to an ex-Fianna Fáil minister, now wearing his UNICEF hat, preaching about child poverty in this country.

What a fcuking brass neck :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

The irony of listening to an ex-Fianna Fáil minister, now wearing his UNICEF hat, preaching about child poverty in this country.

Fiannafailzheimers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

FFS the stream is a joke this morning .

im having to refresh it every 20min or so to get a live feed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

Same here - stream all over the place.

It's David Quinns sky god telling us all how to die and punishing us sinners and our technology...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

Hook has all but retired at this stage, Shane Coleman seems to be in every second day.

It's more than irony, I'm afraid. More like rancid hypocrisy.

The smug, jaded knowingness of Ger Gilroy p*ssed me off a long time ago before Eoin McD rightly replaced him.

Nowadays it really bugs me to listen to him, and Dave McIntyre who I generally like was not really arguing competently on the Steven Gerard issue today, albeit he was outnumbered. I was listening but became increasingly agitated over my Saturday brunch of scrambled eggs, streaky bacon and soft roll with copious butter, washed down with strong, sugary Barry's tea (yum).

Gilroy and his colleague b*tch were arguing that Gerrrard thinks "I'm a big, explosive player who only scores extraordinary goals and doesn't want to be a team player", i.e. they were attributing Gerrard with their own biases and perceptions of what the guy actually thinks, on to him, while ignoring the possibility that he might be an actual human being, with all the flaws, nuances and complications that entails.

Then, when McIntyre begged to differ they accused him of trying to read Gerrard's mind, but in the standard Gilroy condescending Gay Byrne style tone. Pot, kettle and black are a starting point, but I would think of many other issues I'd like to raise with the non-McIntyre members of the Sports coverage.

OK, I've waited to get very drunk before commenting, but that doesn't invalidate my opinions just because it's after 2am on a Sat night!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,582 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Heard that earlier. Bordered on trolling for text responses. Similar discussions on Wenger and Kompany.

Don't think it was McIntyre, though. Nathan something and Adrian Barry were the others, i think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

I think Ger is now top dog again and he's probably loving . I mean he tried in most slots to fit in and id say he was fit for the scrapheap until the boys left.

Not only did he take over for OTB he brought a 7 day format, so id say there is a case of his way or the highway going on.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement