Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black economy/ fake goods/ dole cheats & reporting

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭loggedoff

kippy wrote: »

While this country needs to see people taken to account for their actions, particularly people in power and in decision making positions, the whole "cute hoor" thing starts from the ground up. We let if off in the black economy so we let it off at the top levels of society.

No, that's where you are wrong.
    The 'cute hoor' thing starts at the top and as long as that's the example being set who could blame anyone else.
    Irish mindset, blame the pesants, let the elite away.
    Lead by example I say, what's good for the goose and all that......

• Registered Users Posts: 18,438 ✭✭✭✭kippy

loggedoff wrote: »
    No, that's where you are wrong.
    The 'cute hoor' thing starts at the top and as long as that's the example being set who could blame anyone else.
    Irish mindset, blame the pesants, let the elite away.
    Lead by example I say, what's good for the goose and all that......

The good example should start at the top, however it is rampant across society.

The "pesants" expect their national politicians to get grants for them, sort out entry to college, get the holes in the roads, even get passports sorted out.
    If you have no problems with your neighbour being on the dole and working on the side (or worse examples of this) then why should you have a problem with a politician making a bit of money outta brown envelopes?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭Gerry T

loggedoff wrote: »
    How much did 'dole fraud' cost the economy last year?
    I have no Idea on just dole fraud, its not just that in 2010 from the 11,000 audits the govt did the amount of tax evasion was €520million. Thats what they found - far more out there and then throw in dole cheats and others that scam the system and your talking a lot of money. I'm not chasing the poor, the opposite. If we stopped cheating the system then we could look after the old, sick and poor better. It sounds like people that cheat the system so they can have a good holiday or phones, designer clothes and then say "i'm doing nothing wrong" well if thats you, then you are. Don't try and hide behind the people that really need to do a nixer for food - thats a totally different thing. Back in the 80's it was ok to drink and drive, 90% of people did it and if you were caught people would say did you hear "poor John" got caught drink driving. No one would think bad of anyone doing that and if you were to say anything bad about drink drivers you would be a "rat". But look how it is today, your a social leper if people think your driving with drink, no one would get into a car with someone drunk and if you crashed while drunk no-one would support you and thats how it should be. We need a total change in attitude towards scammers (dole, tax evasion etc...) so that people are guilted into doing the right thing. Its not a black and white thing, if you do a couple of odd jobs to buy the Santa stuff I don't think thats what I'm arguing against. Its the people that week in week out are cheating tax or claiming dole or benefits that they are not entitled to.

kippy wrote: »
    The good example should start at the top, however it is rampant across society.

The "pesants" expect their national politicians to get grants for them, sort out entry to college, get the holes in the roads, even get passports sorted out.
    If you have no problems with your neighbour being on the dole and working on the side (or worse examples of this) then why should you have a problem with a politician making a bit of money outta brown envelopes?

Our national politicians have nothing else worthwhile to do, the whip system has ensured that they have no voice on national issues. Ask any of them who went against the whip.
    If we're paying them the big money and expenses, we might as well get them doing something for the voters who elected them.

Gerry T wrote: »
    I have no Idea on just dole fraud, its not just that in 2010 from the 11,000 audits the govt did the amount of tax evasion was €520million. Thats what they found - far more out there and then throw in dole cheats and others that scam the system and your talking a lot of money. I'm not chasing the poor, the opposite. If we stopped cheating the system then we could look after the old, sick and poor better. It sounds like people that cheat the system so they can have a good holiday or phones, designer clothes and then say "i'm doing nothing wrong" well if thats you, then you are. Don't try and hide behind the people that really need to do a nixer for food - thats a totally different thing. Back in the 80's it was ok to drink and drive, 90% of people did it and if you were caught people would say did you hear "poor John" got caught drink driving. No one would think bad of anyone doing that and if you were to say anything bad about drink drivers you would be a "rat". But look how it is today, your a social leper if people think your driving with drink, no one would get into a car with someone drunk and if you crashed while drunk no-one would support you and thats how it should be. We need a total change in attitude towards scammers (dole, tax evasion etc...) so that people are guilted into doing the right thing. Its not a black and white thing, if you do a couple of odd jobs to buy the Santa stuff I don't think thats what I'm arguing against. Its the people that week in week out are cheating tax or claiming dole or benefits that they are not entitled to.

For the record, I run my own company and employ my own staff all above
    board.
    I have been on the other side of it though and I know only too well how hard it is to keep afloat during tough times.
    I'm not against someone doing a day or two to make ends meet, I am fully and totally against people running a business and hiring on a full time basis people who continue to scam the system.

• Advertisement
Advertisement