Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Plenty of rugby fans in tallaght. Don't believe the stereotype

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Is there a similar deal to last year on tickets for the Gloucester game? (4 for the price of 3)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

durkadurka wrote: »

Has anyone said anything like that about the game?

I was thinking that for the price someone who wouldn't make the trip to the RDS might see it and head in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Sigh.

Would "not one of the traditional strongholds of rugby in the city" have been more acceptable?

[@ emmet, I didn't say it was "un-rugby" by the way, I said it was "one of the most un-rugby parts of the city", which it is.]

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Sigh.

Would "not one of the traditional strongholds of rugby in the city" have been more acceptable?

[@ emmet, I didn't say it was "un-rugby" by the way, I said it was "one of the most un-rugby parts of the city", which it is.]

It means the same thing though doesn't it? That is just pushing the stereotype out even more.

• Advertisement

Sigh.

It's not a big deal, you'd be surprised by the numbers of supporters from there that's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

The open training session has been changed from 12 to 12.45pm tomorrow at Co. Carlow Football Club, Oak Park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

It's not a big deal, you'd be surprised by the numbers of supporters from there that's all.

No, I wouldn't, I know that there are a lot of rugby fans out there and I didn't say otherwise.

But it is NOT a traditional rugby area. That's not a stereotype, it's a fact. The rugby fans are vastly outnumbered by soccer and GAA fans.

Hence, I was saying it was great to see so many tickets being sold for a nothing match out there.

I know it's a quiet time on the rugby board but I don't see the argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

Teferi wrote: »
    Hopefully a lot of them aren't already Leinster/rugby fans and we get a few converts!

Absolutely, I'm really looking forward to the day when we convert all the soccer fans to Rugby (let's be fair, Tallaght is a soccer stronghold) and then we have to partition stadiums to keep rival fams apart and have special buses in and out of cities because of all the trouble at games.

No, I wouldn't, I know that there are a lot of rugby fans out there and I didn't say otherwise.

But it is NOT a traditional rugby area. That's not a stereotype, it's a fact. The rugby fans are vastly outnumbered by soccer and GAA fans.

Hence, I was saying it was great to see so many tickets being sold for a nothing match out there.

I know it's a quiet time on the rugby board but I don't see the argument.
    We're splitting hairs at this stage on a nothing issue and I'm not really that argumentative so I'll leave it there.

One reason for the good sales is probably the very good family deals- kids for a fiver etc. bringing my own durka jr to his first Leinster game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

Sigh.

It means the same thing though doesn't it? That is just pushing the stereotype out even more.

So a statement of a fact is now a stereotype!! I don't know who are worse the biggots or the pc warriors who live in the clouds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭cormacjones

padser wrote: »
    Absolutely, I'm really looking forward to the day when we convert all the soccer fans to Rugby (let's be fair, Tallaght is a soccer stronghold) and then we have to partition stadiums to keep rival fams apart and have special buses in and out of cities because of all the trouble at games.

I hope that's a joke post? I can't tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

I hope that's a joke post? I can't tell.

Obviously.

I don't really want rugby games to become like soccer games. I was being sarcastic.

Obviously.

I don't really want rugby games to become like soccer games. I was being sarcastic.

Yeah I got the sarcasm, I was hoping you were messing with your point about soccer fans.

Fair enough if it's your opinion, but it strikes me as elitist and snobbish. Your stereotypical rugby fan perhaps? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Yeah I got the sarcasm, I was hoping you were messing with your point about soccer fans.

Fair enough if it's your opinion, but it strikes me as elitist and snobbish. Your stereotypical rugby fan perhaps? :rolleyes:

Typical GAA fan talking about stereotypical rugby fans.

:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

I follow both and I'd think most reasonable soccer fans would agree that there is a huge problem with lack of respect in the game, from fans and players

It's nothing to do with elitism, just an element rugby fans don't want creeping into the game

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    I follow both and I'd think most reasonable soccer fans would agree that there is a huge problem with lack of respect in the game, from fans and players

It's nothing to do with elitism, just an element rugby fans don't want creeping into the game

I was making a point about stereotyping.

Tefri made the point that he/she hoped that of the 4,000 going to see the game some would be new to rugby and could be converted. Padser response was, to paraphrase, that we'll have to introduce security measures if Tallaght soccer supporters started going to Leinster games.

If that's not snobbery then I'm not sure what is. Snobbery and elitism is what rugby fans are often accused of, especially by football hooligans from working class areas.

I'm a big fan of both sports by the way, I just found Padser's post offensive and thought I should reply.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

You shouldn't stereotype.....that's what they do in China :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I'm a big fan of both sports by the way, I just found Padser's post offensive and thought I should reply.

If you found it offensive then you should've hit the report button, not reply. This is the Leinster gossip forum, so everyone knock off the soccer talk or take it elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭SportingFun

Morf wrote: »
    The open training session has been changed from 12 to 12.45pm tomorrow at Co. Carlow Football Club, Oak Park.

Went to this and there was a massive crowd and the players did there best to get to everyone and most people went home very happy. Great to see these sessions getting such big turn outs every time

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Went to this and there was a massive crowd and the players did there best to get to everyone and most people went home very happy. Great to see these sessions getting such big turn outs every time

Were all the internationals present?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

danthefan wrote: »
    Were all the internationals present?

All the fit ones, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭David900

Looks like Liberty Insurance are the front runners for the RDS naming rights. RDS looking for reported €15m.

From the article it doesn't look like this will have any benefit for Leinster apart from the extra capacity it will provide.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2012/0806/1224321561775.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Making it....Liberty Stadium? Em..... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Making it....Liberty Stadium? Em..... :pac:

If you can't beat them....

David900 wrote: »
    Looks like Liberty Insurance are the front runners for the RDS naming rights. RDS looking for reported €15m.

From the article it doesn't look like this will have any benefit for Leinster apart from the extra capacity it will provide.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2012/0806/1224321561775.html

Which is a fairly significant benefit.

Which is a fairly significant benefit.

Which is true, but the draw from these companies is for Leinster Rugby and not the RDS. They still have to pay rent etc. and will never own the asset.

Leinster should be in the position of power on this deal and I hope they use this reduce current payable or something similar.

Of course, we will probably never find out.

David900 wrote: »
    Which is true, but the draw from these companies is for Leinster Rugby and not the RDS. They still have to pay rent etc. and will never own the asset.

Leinster should be in the position of power on this deal and I hope they use this reduce current payable or something similar.

Of course, we will probably never find out.

I think you've said it yourself tbh. A new stand that they don't have to pay for is a massive benefit to Leinster, it will result in 10s of thousands of extra tickets a season being sold. They can't have their cake and eat it - i.e. get reduced rent and pay nothing for the stand.

I think you've said it yourself tbh. A new stand that they don't have to pay for is a massive benefit to Leinster, it will result in 10s of thousands of extra tickets a season being sold. They can't have their cake and eat it - i.e. get reduced rent and pay nothing for the stand.

I think we will have to agree to disagree. RDS are effectively getting their cake and eating it too :D they're getting new stand finance on the back of Leinster, the least we would hope for is they don't increase the rent at next review :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,916 ✭✭✭OldRio

If you don't mind me asking but whereabouts at the RDS will the new stand be?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement