Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Pictorial Weekly

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah there's repetition in the sketches, but some of them are worth repeating. Some of them work better than others - not sure we need the Civil Servants booze-up every week, but the Peter Darragh Quinn stuff is a hoot.

The Gay Byrne / Merkel scene will haunt my dreams though. Some things man should not ever, ever see

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

Knock, knock....David.

he he he.

they repeated the Austeri-Tea, but mind you, it was worth repeating.

this is good stuff. potential long, long stayer, maybe as long as it forerunner/ inspiration (Hall's)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Not bad, far better than that Mario show

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭I_smell_fear

Eleanor Tiernan doesnt look enough like Terry Prone to carry those sketches visually...

I'm sure she'll be glad to hear that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

pixelburp wrote: »
    Yeah there's repetition in the sketches, but some of them are worth repeating. Some of them work better than others - not sure we need the Civil Servants booze-up every week, but the Peter Darragh Quinn stuff is a hoot.

The Gay Byrne / Merkel scene will haunt my dreams though. Some things man should not ever, ever see

The 1916 sketch is fantastic. It's so funny cos it's starkly true

• Advertisement

Yea, McWilliams and his high fullutent analogies were very good!
    you mean flatulent?

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Thought it was good,the Xpose skit and Barry Murphy's bit at the start and the end were my favourites.

Gay Byrne sketch wasn't great,neither was the voice over of Gilmore.Terry Prone sketch could/should be a lot more vicious.

Still miles better then the usual RTE muck in fairness.

pixelburp wrote: »

I assume they'll add to the civil servant stuff, otherwise it's dying.

Nice to see topical ref to the budget.

We wine drinker like to sit around discussing the fortunes of the poor beer drinkers. lol

Thought it was good,the Xpose skit and Barry Murphy's bit at the start and the end were my favourites.

Gay Byrne sketch wasn't great,

good potential, but tricky if not developed

neither was the voice over of Gilmore.

agreed. ok at first, but to continue with added angle? i dunno.

Terry Prone sketch could/should be a lot more vicious.

most definitely. a lot more

nonetheless, badly needed - all it took was five years. (albeit Mr Savage did give some gems)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Good stuff. Had to be the Apres Match lads who went out an made some proper satire. They should have told Mario to ditch his own show and join this, much better use of his talents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,082 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Eleanor Tiernan doesnt look enough like Terry Prone to carry those sketches visually...

None of them look like the people they're depicting.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

She does actually

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

There is no need for Mario season 2

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Ernest

I've just seen the second Irish Pictorial Weekly programme - embarrassingly bad I'm afraid.
    It was just not funny - just coarse. Very coarse in places.
    The Terry Prone sketch was just abusive but had no jokes and the actor didn't look much like Terry Prone or sound at all like her.
    The David McWilliams voice was not too bad but the actor did not look at all like the man being parodied - this after all is television, not radio so that kind of matters a lot!
    The tall "woman" with short hair and the "German" accent and the cat: was that supposed to be Angela Merkel? - Probably but the real Merkel has long hair and is somewhat dumpy with noted bad dress sense - and no James Bond(?) cat.
    The Sean Quinn at the border was okay the first time around but was just repeat the second time around with no developments - unless you think stealing a Garda cap and running away with it is a huge joke.

Maybe you need to be a bit drunk to find much amusing in this show like the audience in Republic of Telly presumably are. It was even worse than the Mario Rosenstock programme which at least has excellent voice imitations though poor visual follow- up and few good jokes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Ernest wrote: »
    I've just seen the second Irish Pictorial Weekly programme - embarrassingly bad I'm afraid.
    The Terry Prone sketch was just abusive but had no jokes and the actor didn't look much like Terry Prone or sound at all like her.
    The David McWilliams voice was not too bad but the actor did not look at all like the man being parodied - this after all is television, not radio so that kind of matters a lot!
    The tall "woman" with short hair and the "German" accent and the cat: was that supposed to be Angela Merkel? - Probably but the real Merkel has long hair and is somewhat dumpy with noted bad dress sense - and no James Bond(?) cat.
    The Sean Quinn at the border was okay the first time around but was just repeat the second time around with no developments - unless you think stealing a Garda cap and running away with it is a huge joke.

Maybe you need to be a bit drunk to find much amusing in this show like the audience in Republic of Telly presumably are. It was even worse than the Mario Rosenstock programme which at least has excellent voice imitations though poor visual follow- up and few good jokes.

You've no sense of wit at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Your opinion is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,552 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I have to say I was very disappointed with this week's effort and I really liked it last week. I didn't feel any of the skits really worked.

They repeated a few from last time but whereas I liked the Adams/Gaybo one and the Martin dub on the last show, the Merkel and Gilmore ones this week were poor I felt. The McWilliams one was okay as was the two country politicians skit but I thought this was a massive drop in quality from the very good first week.

Had high hopes for this but they've been dented.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

It's not a biopic. You just have to get the idea of who she's supposed to be.

I never heard anyone complaining that Rory Bremner or Mario Rosenstock don't look like the people they're impersonating.

Personally I thought it wasn't as good as the first week but a sketch show with a constant hit rate is hard to find. It's got enough good ideas to sustain it I think and hopefully will introduce new sketches as it goes on.

Far better than the watered down offering from the above mentioned Senor RoseySchtock.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

I read that in the voice of Barry Murphy's Angela Merkel impression.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I'm sure Mr. Murphy, Mr. Colleary, Ms. Tiernan et al will be devastated by this news.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

Kind of worried that the fact that they're showing the same sketches with similar themes running through will get tiresome very fast. It's beginning to lose it's appeal to me already and I was really hoping they would be quite funny. Still love their impression of Angela Merkel though! :D 'My little pixies!'

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

I did find it a little less funny than last week (but still good). Although the wording of the Austeri-tea was different, it still seemed samey, also the wording wasn't as funny to me. Terry Prone wasn't as funny this week. But still overall very good, and up to the minute with the budget info, the poor chaps musta been up all night Wednesday to get it prepped for Thursday. Good on them I say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭I_smell_fear

The first episode was laugh out loud funny for me as I didn't know what to expect quality wise. As they say, "Laughter is the sound of surprise", there was just wasn't much surprise this week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Watched it the first time last night. Funny stuff, thought does occur though that lots of these sketches aren't mocking the politicians but rubbing the publics nose in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Yillan

Really liked both episodes so far. Didn't care that it was samey. Exposing the things people who emigrate are not missing about Ireland is great. Looking forward to being in that same boat myself. The 1916 fellas highlighting the allowances and bonuses is fantastic. No misses for me really at all. Communications clinic maybe is a bit weak and David McWilliams doesn't have a lot to say. Gilmore's overdub not a classic. Everything else excellent though.

Angela Merkel demostrating for Gay Byrne how Enda Kenny kisses? Who didn't like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭branie

I cannot believe that the kids in the school sketch would get away with swearing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

I watched episode 2 first and then 1. I enjoyed both. Really some very good stuff there. But the walks along the border really made me laugh out loud when it first came on. Thought Gerry Adams with Gay was great. Looking forward to more of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Ernest

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    Your opinion is wrong.

It is correct to say that being amused by something is a personal thing and my criticisms of this show reflect just my own opinion but this opinion is formed by watching hundreds of similar types of television sketch shows and other comedy across all the channels over many years.

The Savage Eye - now that was funny! And I understand there is a new series of it coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

Cant stand Eleanor Tiernan annoying even before she starts talking

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

For me the 2nd episode was just as great as the first. Loved it!! Could watch the voiceovers they do all day. Reminds me of their one with Bill and the lads, that was their best sketch ever. Brady and his shiny white teeth. None of the sketches failed IMO. It's only 4 parts? Probably about right. But in fairness our politicians are so ridiculous it should be open season on them.

Advertisement