Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cameron to curb welfare entitlements for migrants - Should Ireland follow suit?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

A good friend of mine has worked his entire adult life and in the last year had his work hours cut down to fifteen hours a week. He has been signing on for the days he is not working as he is entitled to do and last week received a letter from the department of social payments stating that unless they see proof that he is actively seeking employment for the two days of the week he is signing on that he will be cut off from the exchange. Yet you get people coming here from every corner of the globe and getting money for nothing and i have to wonder would any asylum seekers or "political refugees" get similar letters if they are in receipt of payments after a certain length of time.

No, you don't. Asylum seekers aren't entitled to any such benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Different entitlements for EU and Non-EU citizens, am I right?

And how come, I didn't get anything of the dole office, when I couldn't pay my rent, after two cheques in a row from a home carer agency bounced back? The agency was closed down alright, I think, they went bust...but I didn't get 'money for nothing'.

I'm from Germany, just to mention, and I didn't fulfil the habitual residence status, because I was here less than two years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 713 ✭✭✭WayneMolloy

Nodin wrote: »
    No, you don't. Asylum seekers aren't entitled to any such benefits.

They are entirely self sufficent, are they?

They are entirely self sufficent, are they?

They get 19 Euro a week. They don't get the benefits yer man was referring to.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

They get bed, board, medical cards, access to education and incidental payments to cover grooming needs, childrens accesories, clothing and what not.

And the 19.00 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

Will you put them up and financially support them?

who refugees or migrants? refugees i will leave to another thread

migrants. I don't like this idea of us v them which right wing nationalists use.
    it is hypocritical to not want to aid migrants as we would nationals when the current global system is designed to keep certain countries from developing fully while the western world benefits. Unless states respect other states right to develop then we can not treat migrants as the problem

in short migrants are not the problem they are a symptom of a global problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

They get bed, board, medical cards, access to education and incidental payments to cover grooming needs, childrens accesories, clothing and what not.

And the 19.00 euro.

No the 19 per adult and I think 12 per child covers the incidental payments including grooming, children's accessories (what ever they are) clothing and what not.

And the 19.00 euro.

they also are forced to live in shared rooms with strangers in locations of the states choosing, not allowed to work, subject to curfew .

they also are forced to live in shared rooms with strangers in locations of the states choosing, not allowed to work, subject to curfew .

They are mostly economic migrants, but sure, dont mention the war.

• Advertisement

anyone understand this? seriously it makes no sense to me

do you mean that people who want a job would apply for asylum in one of two EU countries where asylum seekers are not allowed to work

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

Economic migrant for €19 week? Where from? Not many countries in the world pay as low.

From the other side - immigrants usually spend their welfare some useless way like paying their families back in their countries, buying cars or overseas holidays. Not like lot of Irish welfare class who spend most on alcohol or gambling and we all knows it benefits state a lot.

The vast majority of people accept that the majority of Asylum seekers are economic migrants. As I pointed out earlier due to a number of reasons the numbers seeking asylum have dropped from 12,500 a year peak to less than a 1000 a year and dropping. The total in direct provision is about 7,000 so as a problem is disappearing.

anyone understand this? seriously it makes no sense to me

do you mean that people who want a job would apply for asylum in one of two EU countries where asylum seekers are not allowed to work

The vast, vast majority of people who claimed asylum in the Irish state failed to gain refugee status as their applications were 'cock and bull' stories - they were bogus claimants.

Facilitated by misguided folk such as yourself and the legal profession.

The vast, vast majority of people who claimed asylum in the Irish state failed to gain refugee status as their applications were 'cock and bull' stories - they were bogus claimants.

Facilitated by misguided folk such as yourself and the legal profession.

No such finding is made. An application is either successful or it fails. Theres no finding made as to whether its bogus or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Ranicand wrote: »
    The usual suspects will be on before long screaming racism.

The truth can not be told and the usual suspects will bait users who dare speak the truth and get them banned.

Because we all know it is very hateful to disagree with throwing money away to people who have never or will never contribute a cent to this state.
    stop talking crap, going on about "screaming/crying racism" or not being able to "speak the truth" when it just isn't true would make it look as if you are just that, a racist, for what its worth i wouldn't have a problem with such reforms however allow these people to work instead, in saying that David Cameron won't go ahead with these reforms, its just a ploy to get re-elected.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

The vast majority of people accept that the majority of Asylum seekers are economic migrants. As I pointed out earlier due to a number of reasons the numbers seeking asylum have dropped from 12,500 a year peak to less than a 1000 a year and dropping. The total in direct provision is about 7,000 so as a problem is disappearing.

And if we repatriated the vast majority of them, like we should have, and not allowed them play the system - 70 different nationalities wouldnt be on fingal county councils housing list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

Ranicand wrote: »
    I have Aspergers so it is a FACT my mind does not work that way.

How many times are you going to make excuses for your arsėhole posts, using Aspergers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

Never before have i seen a thread more contrived to raise anti immigration and pure racist hostility.
    OP reminds me me of someone...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Grand Moff Tarkin

As i asked already how much is this costing the Irish state every year? People are sick of freeloaders coming into the country getting free bed and board three meals a day and allowances for their kids to go to school while you have families struggling to make ends meet.

• Advertisement

And if we repatriated the vast majority of them, like we should have, and not allowed them play the system - 70 different nationalities wouldnt be on fingal county councils housing list.

They're entitled to be here, otherwise they wouldn't be on the list.
    People are sick of freeloaders coming into the country getting free bed and board three meals a day and allowances for their kids to go to school while you have families struggling to make ends meet.

Why are they "freeloaders"?

You don't get it do you, only persons with legal status can apply to be on the housing list. It's simple failed Asylum Seeker can't apply to be on housing list.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

People living here regardless of their nationality should all be treated the same... going forward now that is another question.

As i asked already how much is this costing the Irish state every year? People are sick of freeloaders coming into the country getting free bed and board three meals a day and allowances for their kids to go to school while you have families struggling to make ends meet.
    A lot of money, but while many may be found to not meet the criteria required to remain here , you can hardly blame asylum seekers for a system that keeps them in refugee camps for up to seven years. The government needs to get its act together , the current system is unfair to both genuine asylum/refugee applicants and to the taxpayer.

You don't get it do you, only persons with legal status can apply to be on the housing list. It's simple failed Asylum Seeker can't apply to be on housing list.

How many failed asylum seekers get repatriated? Not many. They get leave to remain after exhausting the system and then they are entitled to the same benefits and social housing as an Irish citizen.

How many failed asylum seekers get repatriated? Not many. They get leave to remain after exhausting the system and then they are entitled to the same benefits and social housing as an Irish citizen.

You'll be able to provide figures to back that up, I trust?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

70? You sure about that considering there are only 195 countries in the world.

Utter and unadulterated bullshít, sounds like a press release for the BNP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

Equality is a fundamental part of society. Racism and ignorance, such as that which can be seen in this thread, are holding the human race. As soon as the self righteous superiority stops, we'll start making progress.

In relation to the social welfare, it is too attractive to low lifes and freeloaders. It is absolutely irrational to say that all of these freeloaders are foreign. There are many, many Irish people taking advantage of the system. David Cameron, and the Irish government, should focus on social welfare fraud.

• Advertisement

T-K-O wrote: »
    People living here regardless of their nationality should all be treated the same... going forward now that is another question.

For a state to have any meaning, its citizens must come first. They must have rights over non citizens and immigration must be measured as by how it can benefit the citizen - not how it can benefit the non citizen.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement