Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cameron to curb welfare entitlements for migrants - Should Ireland follow suit?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

Do they not need cash for essentials like clothing, general grooming, kids accessories and what not?They also receive three meals, snacks,free medical care and education for their kids.

A lot of Irish people would love to have 20 euro left over each week

Would a lot of Irish families like to live in two rooms of a hostel. While waiting years for a decision. No right to work, no right to live where they want, and waiting for that letter that says your being deported.

Asylum applications have fallen from a peak of 12,500 a year to under 1000 and still falling. While many where allowed to remain after having a Irish Citizen child, that is no longer possible unless one of the parents is legal for at least 3 years in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Gongoozler wrote: »
    That's what I mean by 'show your plan is to stay here and build a life here'. That's what the habitual residence test is.

There's quite a bit more to it than that.From time to time I work with people looking to access welfare etc in Ireland and satisfying the HRC is the one element that gives huge amounts of people both Irish and from abroad trouble.

You have to prove a link to Ireland and HRC actually has no exact definition or conditions to satisfy.

It can be incredibly difficult to satisfy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 713 ✭✭✭WayneMolloy

Would a lot of Irish families like to live in two rooms of a hostel. While waiting years for a decision. No right to work, no right to live where they want, and waiting for that letter that says your being deported.

Asylum applications have fallen from a peak of 12,500 a year to under 1000 and still falling. While many where allowed to remain after having a Irish Citizen child, that is no longer possible unless one of the parents is legal for at least 3 years in the country.

Most get their applications refused pretty sharpish. The problem is they appeal the decision again and again in an effort to exhaust the system.

Limit them to just the one appeal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Grand Moff Tarkin

Asylum seekers receive no unemployment. When you are a asylum seeker you get put up in a hostel and 3 meals a day plus the large amount of €19.00 a week. If you are one of the very few declared a refugee then you have the same rights as an Irish citizen, which does include the same requirement to be seeking work.
    Ok than change asylum seekers to refugee in my original post in the thread. It also seems to me that the point i was making has went miles over the heads of certain posters on here so i will explain it in more simple terms. In my view i think it is a disgrace and a sad state of affairs that an Irish man who has worked all his life and now needs a state hand out for the first time in his life has to prove he is looking for work and yet you get people from around the world come to Ireland and get money no matter how small the amount without paying tax PRSI or any of the other social and economic levies that a regular Irish citizen has to pay form the age of eighteen upwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

While waiting years for a decision

Or dragging out the process.

Pamela Izevbekhai kept lawyers busy for years

• Advertisement

Ok than change asylum seekers to refugee in my original post in the thread. It also seems to me that the point i was making has went miles over the heads of certain posters on here so i will explain it in more simple terms. In my view i think it is a disgrace and a sad state of affairs that an Irish man who has worked all his life and now needs a state hand out for the first time in his life has to prove he is looking for work and yet you get people from around the world come to Ireland and get money no matter how small the amount without paying tax PRSI or any of the other social and economic levies that a regular Irish citizen has to pay form the age of eighteen upwards.

The only person entitled to such payments is a recognised refugee. We signed up to a number of international treaties and one of the rights a recognised refugee has is to be treated the same as a citizen. The total number of recognised refugees is very small and would not amount to more than a few thousand of which a number would of course be working. The refugee has no extra rights above a citizen just the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Quite a considerable amount. There are 70 different nationalities on the fingal county council housing list alone.

We can no longer afford to be overtly generous. Once the UK clamps down on this, where do you think the welfare tourists will look to next?

More nonsense, either give me some actual figures on how much this costs the state of stop making things up.

If we dropped the dole by $20 would we save more then cutting off migrants?

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Or dragging out the process.

Pamela Izevbekhai kept lawyers busy for years

Yes and they made no money as she lost all her cases, she had 3 different teams of lawyers, because it turned out she was a liar, and guess what she was deported.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Grand Moff Tarkin

Yes and they made no money as she lost all her cases, she had 3 different teams of lawyers, because it turned out she was a liar, and guess what she was deported.
    How much did she cost the state in the end?? It is hard to look at any case now and not think are they trying to pull a Pammy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

5 teams of lawyers

And her solicitor got deported too after his pack of lies was rejected. :pac:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056338962

Doesn't matter if her own teams never got paid, she still caused the waste of huge sums of money
    The State has been left with a legal bill of €370,000 for defending the case in the High Court, Supreme Court and the European Court of Human Rights.
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/1m-legal-bill-after-pamela-and-girls-finally-deported-26753400.html

370,000, well you could build a few council houses for that money

RasTa wrote: »
    More nonsense, either give me some actual figures on how much this costs the state of stop making things up.

If we dropped the dole by $20 would we save more then cutting off migrants?

What am I making up?

Seeing as 20 percent of those on the dole are migrants and one in three of those on the housing list are migrants, I think its fair to say that cutting them off would save the state much more money than dropping the dole by 20 euro.

What am I making up?

Seeing as 20 percent of those on the dole are migrants, one in three of those on the housing list are migrants, I think its fair to say cutting them off would safe the state much more than dropping the dole by 20 euro.

Not if u drop it by $20 for the rest of the 80% and cut it it off for everybody who is on it over 5 years.

That's what I would do anyway. You also forgot to compare how much the difference in the dole in the UK v Ireland.

Basically cut of the migrants wouldn't do much, it's the whole welfare system that needs to be changed

I know someone who was in Canada under a year on a WHV and started claiming unemployment benefits. So there's the Canada "example" out the window. :pac:

I know someone who was in Canada under a year on a WHV and started claiming unemployment benefits. So there's the Canada "example" out the window. :pac:

And his chances of extending his stay gone out the window too.

And his chances of extending his stay gone out the window too.

Odd, he just got residency another couple of years later. I should tell him that you said otherwise.

What am I making up?

Seeing as 20 percent of those on the dole are migrants and one in three of those on the housing list are migrants, I think its fair to say that cutting them off would save the state much more money than dropping the dole by 20 euro.

What % of people who are working are migrants. What % of people living in this country working or claiming are migrants. A few facts from memory but look up CSO.

Roughly 700,000 people living in Ireland are not from here. Sounds a large number but lets look closer, approx 200,000 are from the UK including NI, approx 300,000 are from the EU, so 500,000 have an automatic right to be here. Then we have the remaining 200,000 about 150,000 have some legal right to be here that is stamp 2 student visa, stamp 4 or work permit holders, or have been here long enough to become LTR or Citizens. At best guess about 50,000 are either seeking asylum or are illegal.

For every dodgy case there are many more that are good for this country.

Odd, he just got residency another couple of years later. I should tell him that you said otherwise.

To be blunt, I dont really care nor believe you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Most get their applications refused pretty sharpish. The problem is they appeal the decision again and again in an effort to exhaust the system.

Limit them to just the one appeal.

How do you know ?
    I think our refugee act might have something to do with the Geneva convention , so just saying you are limited to a single appeal might be of interest to the UN maybe .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

yabadabado wrote: »
    incorrect

Correct

• Advertisement

To be blunt, I dont really care nor believe you.

What if you log into your old account?

What % of people who are working are migrants. What % of people living in this country working or claiming are migrants. A few facts from memory but look up CSO.

Roughly 700,000 people living in Ireland are not from here. Sounds a large number but lets look closer, approx 200,000 are from the UK including NI, approx 300,000 are from the EU, so 500,000 have an automatic right to be here. Then we have the remaining 200,000 about 150,000 have some legal right to be here that is stamp 2 student visa, stamp 4 or work permit holders, or have been here long enough to become LTR or Citizens. At best guess about 50,000 are either seeking asylum or are illegal.

For every dodgy case there are many more that are good for this country.

The figures are in the opening piece. This thread isnt about workers - quite the opposite. Its about those on the dole. But immigrants, as per the cso's figures, are more heavily reliant on social welfare when compared to Irish nationals. The unemployment rate for eastern europeans ranges from 20 - 25 percent. Some of our recent arrivals from african nations have a near unemployment rate of 40 percent. Only those from the nordic countries and some older EU countries, have a lower unemployment rate than Irish nationals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

no we should not if anything we should scrap the direct provision system that expects asylum seekers to live on 19euro a week

I'm in Canada atm(about to get kicked out) but that's nonsense unless he got EI?

Only those from the nordic countries and some older EU countries, have a lower unemployment rate than Irish nationals.

So we should kick out the Irish and keep the French and Germans?

The figures are in the opening piece. This thread isnt about workers - quite the opposite. Its about those on the dole. But immigrants, as per the cso's figures, are more heavily reliant on social welfare when compared to Irish nationals. The unemployment rate for eastern europeans ranges from 20 - 25 percent. Some of our recent arrivals from african nations have a near unemployment rate of 40 percent. Only those from the nordic countries and some older EU countries, have a lower unemployment rate than Irish nationals.

Jesus christ whats 40% of 10k compared to 14.6% of 2m

no we should not if anything we should scrap the direct provision system that expects asylum seekers to live on 19euro a week

Will you put them up and financially support them?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

There is zero discussion in Ireland about this issue.
    Remember back in 2003-2004, our esteemed elected representatives told us that only a few hundred people would come to this wet rock in the Atlantic when the EU expanded to include ten new members?
    Turns out there were wrong by a few hundred thousand.

RasTa wrote: »
    I'm in Canada atm(about to get kicked out) but that's nonsense unless he got EI?

He got sponsored on a job that is seasonal-ish pretty quickly and when not working got 2/3 of his pay in unemployment assistance or whatever it's called there. Now he's just waiting til residency is confirmed and he can come home for a holiday.

• Advertisement

But in looking at any cost base one must look at the income. If say a certain ethnic group has 24% unemployment, well that means there is 76% employment. Paying USC, PRSI and tax. To claim social welfare as has been pointed out the person must satisfy the HR rule. Or be a recognised refugee. Many people go on to the housing lists for varied reasons. Short term unemployment needing SWA. Many employed people Irish and non irish are on housing lists.

If one is going to say we should not do x then at least show the costs of X, if we say the costs of providing social welfare to non irish is X we need to look at the tax take from non irish, because if we say only irish born citizens get welfare then don't be surprised if the likes of Google and Favebook PayPal etc. all head across the water because it will be near impossible for them to attract non irish workers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement