Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread Part II **Mod Warning** Read First Post/or Post 7389

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

ladylost wrote: »
    I also met someone in the "real" world who I'm really hoping will text me but we'll see. Been here before with guys who take my number and never use it :confused:

Who are all these dastardly people who take peoples numbers and never text them back? Where do they get off????! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭ladylost

Samich wrote: »
    There was next to no one my age (20) on OKC. Loads of gorgeous older women on them sites though. :pac:

I must be one of those pacman.gif

Galvasean wrote: »
    Who are all these dastardly people who take peoples numbers and never text them back? Where do they get off????! :mad:

I know I know but it's really annoying :(

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I know I know but it's really annoying :(

Indeed. That girl I was chatting to on OKC pre-Xmas asked me for my number and said she wanted to meet up for a date after Xmas. Here we are now and she has been blanking me since a few days before Christmas, despite being on OKC nearly every day (well, every day that I'm on... okay that is pretty much every day :P).
    Makes you wonder why they bother in the first place?

I have found a solution though...

634305451315390030.jpg

"Let's get 'em fellas!"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

People also need to start using spellcheck. 'Must have good sence of humour' 'Did I catch you're eye' ... Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggh!

20100108063328%21Exploding-head.gif

• Advertisement

Galvasean wrote: »

I have found a solution though...

634305451315390030.jpg

"Let's get 'em fellas!"

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

I must be one of those pacman.gif

The gorgeous older woman ? ;) I will accept pics in pm :P

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

Owen wrote: »
    People also need to start using spellcheck. 'Must have good sence of humour' 'Did I catch you're eye' ... Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggh!

20100108063328%21Exploding-head.gif
    I agree, head melting! I won't reply to text speak messages :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Had a date lined up for tomorrow night but I cancelled.Nice girl but it was like trying to pull teeth messaging her.Like one line or sometimes one or two word replies.I will just go drinking instead and try and use my wiley charms to snag a real world wimminz.

Stop laughing ye sons of bitches,it could happen..........

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

I would NEVER laugh at you :p

• Advertisement

Hmmmm,you better not.

:pac:

Anyone else think boards needs a hidden online dating forum? I'm all for discussing things, but you know, there's some stuff you'd like to ask that you wouldn't want public. I think I'd also be more comfortable talking more often about stuff if I knew it wasn't so visible. Seeing as how this thread is constantly getting traffic, could we apply for a private forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,726 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Have to say, POF seems to have a lot more people online within a 50 mile radius of Galway compared to OKC.
    In saying that, I haven't actually messaged any of them!

It has been brought up countless times before and has always been vetoed by the powers that be ie site owners/admins.

I dont think its feasible because what happens if people start hooking up having met on here and things go tits up.The danger is there that the spurned parties will start stalking the spurer,flaming them,etc or if something unsavory was to happen (worse case scenario would be someone being attacked) it also leaves the site open to potential legal ramifications.

I get where you are coming from in terms of not wanting to say certain things on a very public board but where do you draw the line in regards access?

One of the reasons this thread and its predecessor has proved so popular is because anyone can post in it with their experiences and its in no way exclusionary where as a private forum would be.

/my 2c

The gorgeous older woman ? ;) I will accept pics in pm :P

I'll see how my date goes first ;):P

I dont think its feasible because what happens if people start hooking up having met on here and things go tits up.

To be fair, that could happen in this thread currently anyway. Many people have exchaged POF profiles in the hopes of bettering theirs - and it's an easy way to get to know people offline by doing so. If something bad were to happen, it could happen just as easily a thread as in a private forum*

*I do hope I haven't scarpered this thread now!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

saw a page of a former work colleague today, described as occasional smoker when smokes like chimney would be more correct, seemed nice in profile, poor lad who turns up expecting a lovely gal is in for suprise.

This thread is closely moderated though and there were a number of sleazy type posts deleted from the last one.Its one thing users getting pointers from eachother but I think that having a private forum would attract a lesser class of poster and would prove problematic.

Meh,maybe Im just a cynical bastard!:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

manafana wrote: »
    saw a page of a former work colleague today, described as occasional smoker when smokes like chimney would be more correct, seemed nice in profile, poor lad who turns up expecting a lovely gal is in for suprise.

surely it's possible she's cut down on cigs?

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Ammsy500

I have a date tommorrow and actually looking forward to it : )

Samich: my advice would be take a break from it for a while there might be some nice new faces when you join back especially since its the new year soon. Nothing worse when your on it but your hearts not in it so to speak. Remember your only 20 you have all the time in the world : )

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

There was next to no one my age (20) on OKC. Loads of gorgeous older women on them sites though. :pac:

I would agree with you there as there will not be much choice for a guy your age. Even at 25 I thought I was at the younger end of the scale for guys on the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Chet Zar

I think perhaps I've put too much thought and detail into my profile as it would seem all the girls are undecided over the topic of conversation to start with me.

Any. Day. Now.

:D

Have you asked that girl out yet wobblyknees?! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Its one thing users getting pointers from each other

I bet they do :pac: What was that about a lesser kind of poster? I'll get my coat :P

I agree about keeping things as they are now. If there were a private forum how would you agree on entry? Post count? Not really suitable. Based on a mod's opinion? Not suitable at all. What do you do if they decide to stop online dating or get a gf/bf? Just way too much hassle for little benefit.

I can see why people would not be too keen to say some things here (after all, never post something here that you really wouldn't want anybody else to ever see).

Does this forum accept unregistered posts? If so, it could be a way to ask one-off questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

This thread is closely moderated though and there were a number of sleazy type posts deleted from the last one.Its one thing users getting pointers from eachother but I think that having a private forum would attract a lesser class of poster and would prove problematic.

Meh,maybe Im just a cynical bastard!:pac:

Yeah, I think a private forum could a bit sleazy or something. :cool:
    Ammsy500 wrote: »
    I have a date tommorrow and actually looking forward to it : )

Good Luck!!

PK, yep you can post unregistered in here!

I bet they do :pac: What was that about a lesser kind of poster? I'll get my coat :P

I agree about keeping things as they are now. If there were a private forum how would you agree on entry? Post count? Not really suitable. Based on a mod's opinion? Not suitable at all. What do you do if they decide to stop online dating or get a gf/bf? Just way too much hassle for little benefit.

I can see why people would not be too keen to say some things here (after all, never post something here that you really wouldn't want anybody else to ever see).

Does this forum accept unregistered posts? If so, it could be a way to ask one-off questions.

Hmmmmm,I could be like the Vic Mackey of the mod world if that were to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

Chet Zar wrote: »
    Have you asked that girl out yet wobblyknees?! :)

Haha. Yes, I actually did, and she said yes, although she is feeling a bit ill right now so it will be soon enough when she is feeling a bit better. I was a bit clumsy in my suggestion to meet up but she was lovely about it and what we could do for a 'first date' that would allow for a relaxed conversation etc. It's really nice to talk to her, we seem to have a number of shared interests and she is really down to earth. All in all, I have spoken to a few people, but she is the only one I considered asking to meet up and she has said yes, so I think it is so far so good.....

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Yay Wobblyknees! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭den87

Does this happen to anyone else??

A few girls on POF that have no pics start talking to you, a bit of conversation, then you ask to see a picture of them and they stop messaging you all together. Whats the problem??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

den87 wrote: »
    Does this happen to anyone else??

A few girls on POF that have no pics start talking to you, a bit of conversation, then you ask to see a picture of them and they stop messaging you all together. Whats the problem??

I think it could be another downside to the whole free/pof thing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

Haha. Yes, I actually did, and she said yes, although she is feeling a bit ill right now so it will be soon enough when she is feeling a bit better. I was a bit clumsy in my suggestion to meet up but she was lovely about it and what we could do for a 'first date' that would allow for a relaxed conversation etc. It's really nice to talk to her, we seem to have a number of shared interests and she is really down to earth. All in all, I have spoken to a few people, but she is the only one I considered asking to meet up and she has said yes, so I think it is so far so good.....

:)

Yay, go you!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement