Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Make your own Christmas Prezzies!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,749 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I'd love a Christmas like that, just once, for a change :)

No you wouldn't. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Faith wrote: »
    You're in vancouver?

That's a lot of effort :pac:. Im actually quite happy to have a very low-key Christmas with the absolute minimum of fuss and effort :).

No but I could fly over to you. You'd pay, natch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Going to make my mincemeat tomorrow! I'm doing the Delia Smith recipe, leaving out the almonds (I HATE almonds!!:mad:)

If it goes well, I'll put it in the hamper.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Think I'll make mince pies again this year.....although they weren't a gift, they were for me :o I just used the dunnes simply better mincemeat but it was lovely; couldn't be bothered making my own:p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Making mincemeat is the easiest thing to do in the world, and it tastes AMAZING. I have given it as presents for the last few years and people always tell me they were hoping to get it again this year. And I think a standard jar makes 12 pies, so it's actually a brilliant gift. There is no cooking or anything, it's just mixed fruit and the longer it rests the better, so it's a great one to make in advance. If anyone is interested I will post recipe (I use Myrtle Allen's).

Anyway, I am off to Alpack this afternoon to buy more jam jars (woot!!!). And I might get a few bottles for that limoncello thing while I'm at it. And I am thinking of buying some of those little jars you put breakfast marmalade in and making pesto and stuff (because I bought a set of mixed stuff in those little jars at Bloom this summer and thought it was the cutest thing ever).

Also, I found this site and I'm now in love: http://www.candigifts.co.uk/items/jute-bags/list.htm

I am thinking of getting the sets of 3 for 2 jars of mincemeat and maybe one of jam. Aren't those bags absolutely GORGEOUS??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

Yes please post the mincemeat recipe! Thank you

leahyl wrote: »
    Think I'll make mince pies again this year.....although they weren't a gift, they were for me :o I just used the dunnes simply better mincemeat but it was lovely; couldn't be bothered making my own:p

That stuff is delish!! Made mince pies with it last year.

Mincemeat is currently soaking. Was ridiculously easy to make and I just bung it in the oven tomorrow. Smelt so Christmasy with all the spices and fruit!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

RosyLily wrote: »
    That stuff is delish!! Made mince pies with it last year.

Mincemeat is currently soaking. Was ridiculously easy to make and I just bung it in the oven tomorrow. Smelt so Christmasy with all the spices and fruit!:)

Hhhmmm maybe I will make my own mincemeat this year....I suppose I could freeze some of it too and use it to make another batch later on in the season?

Hhhmmm maybe I will make my own mincemeat this year....I suppose I could freeze some of it too and use it to make another batch later on in the season?

I used Delia's recipe and she said it would keep for about 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

No need to freeze it, once it's properly sealed all that booze and sugar will keep it fresh for years.
    Mince pies freeze beautifully though, so you could make and freeze those in advance and have a super organised festive season!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

It's Christmas weekend again on Food Network this weekend if anyone is looking for inspiration.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Pie and Mash

Hi All

Love this thread, I've decided to go foodie presents this year so cheers:) I have a recipe for red onion marmalade I will post later, I had it in a restaurant and asked how to make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

RosyLily wrote: »
    Tomato and chili relish sounds delish! Recipe? If I give my aunt another 4 jars of cranberry chutney, I think I'll be wearing it Christmas morning!! :p

Tomato and Chili Relish

Ingredients

800g cherry tomatoes halved (any good tomatoes will do really)
    2 medium red onions diced
    2in piece of fresh ginger grated
    2 small hot chilis finely chopped (depends on how much heat you want really)
    300g brown sugar
    250ml white wine vinegar
    1 star anise
    2 tsp fish sauce

Method

Heat the tomatoes and onions in a pot (no oil added)
    When hot, add the ginger, chilis, sugar, vinegar and star anise
    Bring to the boil and reduce to simmer until the mixture reduces and thickens (an hour plus usually)
    Remove the star anise, add the fish sauce and stir and cook for few minutes more.

Fill the hot mix into hot sterilised jars. It should give you about 800g jar worth.

Thanks a mill livinsane! I'll definitely be giving that a go. How long does it keep for?

If the jars are sterilised properly and sealed properly, it'd keep for ages. I suppose six months is the safe answer but probably much longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭GrahamThomas

I came across a recipe online for homemade beer mustard, and bought some mustard seeds from an Asian food shop on Mary Street while in town this afternoon. I'm going to make it later this week/next weekend when I get a bit of time, will report back as I think it'd be a good one for the Christmas hampers!

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭GrahamThomas

Tried to make the beer mustard... I don't know what happened but it was absolutely disgusting! Whatever I did it just created a saucepan full of flavourless mush. One for the cooking disasters thread I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭RoseBlossom

All this talk of mince pies had me dig out a great "cheat" recipe I saw last year in the Irish Times Little Mincemeat and Almond Tarts. It isn't really a cheat recipe but I bought the mincemeat and the pastry cases (I'm not great with pastry!) so it was really only the topping that was properly homemade. They were delicious though and a great twist on the traditional mince pie.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

RoseBlossom your link isn't working but I love the sound of the almond topping.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

Got a great idea for Christmas chocolates from someone the other day.

Take small paper cases, paint the whole inside with melted chocolate, place in the fridge to harden, remove and paint a second time, allow to harden. Once hard fill the little cup with dulce de leche (the Coronation cooked condensed milk is perfect) and sprinkle with a teeny bit of fleur de sel/sea salt. Paint two layers of chocolate across the top, sprinkling a little salt over the top to decorate - et voila!

I usually do chocolate boxes for people at Christmas. I make Nigellas pudding truffles
    http://www.styleathome.com/food-and-entertaining/recipes/recipe-nigella-s-christmas-puddini-bonbons/a/18992

and then make a big batch of florentines, bash them up, cover in chocolate and spoon out onto a tray into little bitesize delights!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭RoseBlossom

RoseBlossom your link isn't working but I love the sound of the almond topping.

Sorry! Link is fixed now but it's hitting the subscription wall. It was public until pretty recently!

Anyway, here it is, hopefully they won't mind! :)

Little Mincemeat & Almond Tarts, from the Irish Times, Dec 2013

Ingredients:

For the pastry:
    • 175g plain flour
    • 25g icing sugar
    • 100g cold butter, cut into small cubes
    • 1 free-range egg yolk
    • 1 tbsp cold water
    For the almond topping:
    • 70g melted butter
    • 1 large free range egg
    • 140g ground almonds
    • 70g caster sugar
    • 2 jars of mincemeat (or make your own)
    Method:
    You will need a 24-hole mini muffin tray.

To make the pastry place the flour, sugar and butter into a large clean bowl.

Rub the butter into the flour with your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs, working as quickly as possible to prevent the dough becoming warm. Add the egg yolk and water to the mixture and using a cold knife stir until the dough binds together; add more cold water, a teaspoon at a time if the mixture is too dry.

Wrap the dough in cling film / plastic wrap and chill for a minimum of 15 minutes and up to 30 minutes.

Remove the pastry from the fridge. Place on a lightly floured surface and, with a floured rolling pin, roll out to the thickness required – about the thickness of a €1 coin.

Using a pastry cutter slightly larger than the holes on your muffin tray, cut out 24 circles and line each muffin hole.

For the almond paste, mix all the ingredient together until you get a smooth paste.

To assemble, spoon a scant teaspoon of mincemeat into each of the lined muffin holes and cover with the almond topping.

Pre-heat an oven to 160 degrees/gas 3 and bake for 15 minutes until golden brown. Allow to cool slightly in the tin and remove. Dust with icing sugar and serve.

The little tartlets can be prepared in advance and kept in the fridge or freezer until needed. They can be cooked from frozen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Sorry! Link is fixed now but it's hitting the subscription wall. It was public until pretty recently!

Anyway, here it is, hopefully they won't mind! :)

Little Mincemeat & Almond Tarts, from the Irish Times, Dec 2013

Ooh I make these but I call them 'frangipane mince pies'! Yum :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

tfak85 wrote: »

Take small paper cases, paint the whole inside with melted chocolate, place in the fridge to harden, remove and paint a second time, allow to harden. Once hard fill the little cup with dulce de leche (the Coronation cooked condensed milk is perfect) and sprinkle with a teeny bit of fleur de sel/sea salt. Paint two layers of chocolate across the top, sprinkling a little salt over the top to decorate - et voila!

I usually do chocolate boxes for people at Christmas. I make Nigellas pudding truffles
    http://www.styleathome.com/food-and-entertaining/recipes/recipe-nigella-s-christmas-puddini-bonbons/a/18992

and then make a big batch of florentines, bash them up, cover in chocolate and spoon out onto a tray into little bitesize delights!
    Oooh I like the sound of that! I could use the chestnut jam I'm going to make in the next few weeks...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

tfak85 wrote: »

Thos chocolates sound like a really fantastic idea! I'm definitely going to give that a try - but I'm thinking some sort of pistacchio filling :)

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭bedlamaticable

Shenshen, would love to hear how you get on with your pistachio filling! I love the combination of chocolate and pistachio, and I find pistachio flavoured things are few and far between for some reason.

Shenshen, would love to hear how you get on with your pistachio filling! I love the combination of chocolate and pistachio, and I find pistachio flavoured things are few and far between for some reason.

You might like the chocolate and pistachio bark I posted here last year. It's uber quick and gorgeous. Looks good too.

And I just realised that I am sitting here right now making my way through a bag of pistachios!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

livinsane wrote: »
    You might like the chocolate and pistachio bark I posted here last year. It's uber quick and gorgeous. Looks good too.

Damn, I love bark.

Mmmmmmmmm, bark. Chocolate and candycane is the ultimate christmassy bark.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Very, VERY rare and far between. But Lidl are currently selling pistachio ice cream - not the best I've ever had, but not bad at all either :)

I haven't started yet, but I'm thinking of making a filling along these lines : http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/18602/white+chocolate+pistachio+truffles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I made this lovely chocolate pistachio fudge last year

http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/chocolate-pistachio-fudge-96

What I learned is it's worth spending the extra €1 or €2 to get the de-shelled nuts :pac:

Advertisement