Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Make your own Christmas Prezzies!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

My first fudge was a disaster, got a candy thermometer and it seen perfect everytime since!

What's the recipe for the cranberry and orange biscotti? Sounds interesting! And the gingerbread??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

Sorry, I don't know dundrum but if you are in town both Tiger and Reads have it.

Hmm, no I won't be going near town, avoiding it at all costs! Thanks anyway though. My husband works near both of those places but he's off work now. I knew Tiger had it too. Why did I not get my **** together earlier?!

The florist is a great tip, we have a nice one 3 minutes walk away so I'll go beg from them :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

Also, I had trouble pouring all my concoctions, i was faffing about making funnels out of grease proof paper. I need a jam funnel so badly. I bought one this afternoon as I randomly came across one in a little shop - after I've made all my Christmas stuff and don't need it. I was all over the place this year :)

I'm looking forward to making chutney in the future with my funnel though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

My first fudge was a disaster, got a candy thermometer and it seen perfect everytime since!

What's the recipe for the cranberry and orange biscotti? Sounds interesting! And the gingerbread??

I used Paul Hollywood's recipe for cranberry and pistachio biscotti but I omitted the nuts and added orange zest instead of lemon. Cranberry and orange tasted really good together!

The gingerbread is Nigella's Guinness gingerbread recipe. The family doesn't like Guinness so I just left that out. Really easy recipe and so tasty!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

I made an absolute balls of the honeycomb!! I'm confused because it worked out perfectly last year. It was just a layer of sticky flatness. How long should you whisk it for? I whisked like billio for about a minute or so.

• Advertisement

What honeycomb recipe do you use?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

I whisk for 5-10 seconds. just until the bicarb is distributed and there's no powdery residue.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

5 full forkfuls of golden syrup.
    200g white sugar
    melt together in wide bottom pan, will turn a slightly darker golden colour. add 2tsp bicarb and whisk until all distributed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I found a good honeycomb recipe of 10 tbsp of sugar, 4 tbsp of golden syrup and 1 tsp of bicarb. Of course every batch turned out different, should have timed the first perfect batch for cooking the syrup! But only whisked briefly before turning it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

I found a good honeycomb recipe of 10 tbsp of sugar, 4 tbsp of golden syrup and 1 tsp of bicarb. Of course every batch turned out different, should have timed the first perfect batch for cooking the syrup! But only whisked briefly before turning it out.

Thanks all. I think that was my problem. I think I over whisked it. I used the recipe on the first few pages of this thread. It was perfect last year. I'll make a new batch when I can be arsed to peel myself off the couch! Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory is on. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Ya I only whisk briefly!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,248 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Anybody start making some luscious treats yet for Christmas....??!! :D

This thread was revived around the same time last year so I'm just doing my bit :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I am making everything on this thread this year!! Well, at least a few hampers worth.. Getting excited already :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

My people did not appreciate chutneys and jams last year. I just don't have that kind of family/social circle :( none of them got eaten/opened.

So! Alcohol and sweet things for this year. The spiced Arancello I made last year went down really well, so that plus cookie dough truffles and cookies and fudge. And whatever else looks fun :)

Gots to start making my Arancello around now- if anyone spots any deals on Vodka let me know! Need 3 litres.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,764 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

leahyl wrote: »
    Anybody start making some luscious treats yet for Christmas....??!! :D

This thread was revived around the same time last year so I'm just doing my bit :pac:
    leahyl - banned for 3 months. :p :pac:

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

O Briens have bottles of Absolut for 20 quid this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I won't have time to do anything this year, but from last year I have created an expectation! So be warned, people are not happy that I have to spend time studying rather than making them jams!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,248 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

leahyl - banned for 3 months. :p :pac:

tHB

:(:pac:

santa_waving_%2528cool%2529.gif

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

It's officially "the run up to Christmas" now we've had our first Santa :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Couch Potatoette

Has anyone used vodka from Aldi or Lidl before? I'm thinking about getting started on Limoncello and Orangecello this week

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

Has anyone used vodka from Aldi or Lidl before? I'm thinking about getting started on Limoncello and Orangecello this week

I used this vodka last year for a similar liqueur and it worked quite well. Got it in Lidl IIRC.

It was the cheapest decent quality I could find last year.

"Chrriiissstmaaasss time, mistletoe aannnd wiiiinnneee...":D

I have 6 jars left over from last year. Need some deliciousness to fill them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

I was actually going to revive this thread a few weeks ago but I chickened out. I've made a few nice things in the last week.

Beetroot Chutney from a Darina Allen recipe:

2u9hlix.jpg

Also made Tomato and Chili Relish using my home grown tomatoes. I usually make it when Lidl cherry toms are 39c and it turns out lovely but this batch is the real deal - dark, sweet, spicy and sticky. Nobody but me is having any!!

Tomato and chili relish sounds delish! Recipe? If I give my aunt another 4 jars of cranberry chutney, I think I'll be wearing it Christmas morning!! :p

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I'm making nothing this year as I've no-one to give it to :(. It's our first emigrant Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

I haven't started anything yet and i think i might scale it down a bit this year and just do the greatest hits!

If anyone is looking for jars i got an email this morning from alpack saying they are giving 10% off for all online orders in 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Faith wrote: »
    I'm making nothing this year as I've no-one to give it to :(. It's our first emigrant Christmas!

Er hello? I'm here. Make stuff. Give to me. End.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭janmaree

It might be an idea to make a shortlist of your own personal hits, make some of those for your own pantry and distribute the balance to your closest neighbours? That way it might well be your first emigrant Christmas but you will have taken very kind and thoughtful steps towards making friends with the Natives! The first Christmas away from home is tough but it's also part of the new beginning and can still be spent with people who appreciate your cooking! :) Just a thought..........

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

fussyonion wrote: »
    Er hello? I'm here. Make stuff. Give to me. End.

You're in vancouver?
    janmaree wrote: »
    It might be an idea to make a shortlist of your own personal hits, make some of those for your own pantry and distribute the balance to your closest neighbours? That way it might well be your first emigrant Christmas but you will have taken very kind and thoughtful steps towards making friends with the Natives! The first Christmas away from home is tough but it's also part of the new beginning and can still be spent with people who appreciate your cooking! :) Just a thought..........

That's a lot of effort :pac:. Im actually quite happy to have a very low-key Christmas with the absolute minimum of fuss and effort :).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Im actually quite happy to have a very low-key Christmas with the absolute minimum of fuss and effort :).

I'd love a Christmas like that, just once, for a change :)

Advertisement