Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Shaving.ie

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Shaving.ie

bothyhead wrote: »
    What's the difference between the alum block and a styptic pencil?
    Alum Blocks are 100% pure Alum but a styptic can be a mixture of astringents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

bothyhead wrote: »
    What's the difference between the alum block and a styptic pencil?

A styptic pencil is pretty much used for just sealing cuts quickly whereas you can use an alum block for not only treating small nicks but also to help tone
    and condition your skin post-shave. I alternate between using witch-hazel or alum daily after a post-shave cold water rinse. Just make sure to use the alum
    on a damp face.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Minor weepers react much better to a styptic pencil I find, because it quite probably has other active ingredients, some styptic pencils can be solid, ohers a tad powdery, or even a powder dispenser.

Shaving.ie's right to point out the price issue with Osma, it is a very basic ingredient\product, there's not going to be much variance.. There's a block in the bathroom cabinet, from another family member, for under the arms, as far as I can tell. Doesn't seem to be coloured or fragranced in any way, a basic anti perspirant.

I had my first straight shave under the World Trade Center, mid 90's. Not the best experience, a lot of styptic use after, in powder form, dabbed from a tube. I didn't even ask, once the haircut was done, out came the straight.. :eek:

I forgot to ask, how are the 'alternative payment options' for the website coming along, any rough time estimate?

Amalgam wrote: »
    I forgot to ask, how are the 'alternative payment options' for the website coming along, any rough time estimate?

Its nearly ready to launch. I just need to do some final testing to make sure there are no issues and it should be good to go over the next day or so.

• Advertisement

Laser payments have now been securely integrated into the site which should bring it up to speed with what people need. The new system should also handle 3v cards if paypal has been a problem in the past. Sorry it took a little longer to get it running but the system has finally been activated to live status. Thanks again to all who suggested it.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭bothyhead

Thanks for the explanations re: styptic vs alum block.

I had to reach for a styptic pencil this morning - man those feathers can be sharp :)
    It was my first cut after about a month's use, so I reckon I must be doing something right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

just got my first open comb, roll on wednesday!!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

tinner777 wrote: »
    just got my first open comb, roll on wednesday!!

why wednesday?

Cabaal wrote: »
    why wednesday?
    post monday, to cork wednesday, i reckon

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

post monday, to cork wednesday, i reckon

Ah now I get you, might put in a order myself during the weekend :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,804 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Excellent service again.
    Ordered an 11C and Speick AS on Friday-arrived this morning with some free blade samples as well.

Seven Worlds will Collide

I placed my order during the weekend
    This is pretty much what I ordered

* 1 x Proraso Pre and Post Shaving Cream
    * 1 x Proraso Liquid Cream Aftershave Balm
    * 1 x Derby Extra DE Razor Blades
    (Bulk Discount: 5 Blades (1 Pack))
    * 1 x Proraso Shaving Soap Bowl
    * 1 x Parker 91R Three Piece Razor
    * 1 x Muhle Aloe Vera Shaving Soap
    * 1 x Muhle Black Shaving Mug
    * 1 x Speick After Shave Lotion with Witch Hazel
    * 1 x Proraso Glycerin Face Soap
    * 1 x Semogue 620 Boar Brush

Cabaal wrote: »
    I know there's healing stuff on the site but any chance of getting alum blocks at some poiint in the future?

I just received this today and it worked out a bit cheaper than the Osma version and is slightly larger at 100g. Thanks for the suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭Sean Quagmire

Chris, do you have any plans to add straight razors to your selection?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Another suggestion if I may, I've had several people ask me to spec out a starter kit for DE shaving and it'd be useful and convenient if I could just link them to the one page with all needed.

Proraso cream. HD or Progress. Semogue Boar and blade samples is what I'm thinking.
    One of the UK stores has starter kits where you can alter the choices and it works well.

I plan on picking up a few kits as Christmas gifts and know others looking to do the same. Based on nothing but good service from yourselves in the past I'll be looking at buying again and recommending you.

Another suggestion if I may, I've had several people ask me to spec out a starter kit for DE shaving and it'd be useful and convenient if I could just link them to the one page with all needed.

Proraso cream. HD or Progress. Semogue Boar and blade samples is what I'm thinking.
    One of the UK stores has starter kits where you can alter the choices and it works well.

I plan on picking up a few kits as Christmas gifts and know others looking to do the same. Based on nothing but good service from yourselves in the past I'll be looking at buying again and recommending you.

The Parker 91R is meant to be perfectly acceptable, that could make a potential Shaving.ie kit 'Budget' priced, compared to a Merkur branded razor.

You could create a wishlist on your shaving.ie account and then make it public.

This would then give you a handy link to give people :)
    such as https://www.shaving.ie/wishlist.php?publicwishlist=bf77a8b134706984d9dbb99bef31174e

One suggestion for shaving.ie I have in relation to the existing wishlist is the ability to simply either add wishlist to cart where it adds everything to the shopping cart allowing you to easily buy it (at present the only other option is to open each item and add to cart)

or

Like the above but you must tick the specific items in the wishlist and then click add to cart.

whata think? :)

Oh I see you got alum blocks in stock...nice

Chris, do you have any plans to add straight razors to your selection?

I was just going to post the same question today, its something I'd like to buy at some stage in the future

@ Sean Quagmire & Cabaal: Yes its something I am currently researching. If you have anything in mind or suggestions for models that have caught your eye I will bear it in mind.

@ Gran Hermano: Great idea, I will put a few kits together at some stage soon.

• Advertisement

Finally placed my first order with shaving.ie during weekend, got everything today (it shipped Monday).

Nice quick delivery, very well packed so no chance of anything breaking.
    Only one slight problem but Chris has done a fantastic job sorting it for me so more then happy with the service provided :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Shaving.ie wrote: »
    @ Gran Hermano: Great idea, I will put a few kits together at some stage soon.

I'm one of the people who's asked that exact thing this week and I agree that it'd be good. If you could bundle together a starter kit, I'm sure there would be lots of people like me who are becoming sick of the extortionate prices of cartridges and would be happy to buy the stuff in just one click! :)

I'll keep an eye on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I'd definitely reccommend getting a basic kit together, maybe a few at different price ranges. People often ask for gifts (even on the forums) and I'd reccommend a DE razor, it'd be handy not to have to give a list of the different bits and bobs out there.

I really must pick up something off you - I've reccommended you enough times.

ordered friday got my first open comb monday, now thats service, and i'm liking the open comb :D:D:D

ordered friday got my first open comb monday, now thats service, and i'm liking the open comb :D:D:D

I'm really impressed by the service, Chris sent out something to me Wednesday and I got it yesterday (Thursday)...now thats quick! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Gruser

Just wanted to share my positive experience of shaving.ie

Im new to DE shaving and made purchases after lurking on a few forums. Tried a set of feather blades from shaving.ie and loved them.

Emailed Chris today to see if he would match connaught shavings discount for bulk orders. Within 20min he had a new option on the site for feather blades - 5 packs of 10 for €13.49! Great service...

There's a big clutch of new Taylor of Old Bond Street products.

Oh the irony, a big red suited fecker with a beard delivering shaving presents.. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

I'm interested in trying out Shaving.ie but the items I'm interested in are out of stock

Merkur Progress Long Handle 510001 - Out of Stock Due back 12th Oct
    Merkur 34c HD Safety Razor - Dur Back October 31st

Any idea when these will be back in stock?

DonJose wrote: »
    I'm interested in trying out Shaving.ie but the items I'm interested in are out of stock

Merkur Progress Long Handle 510001 - Out of Stock Due back 12th Oct
    Merkur 34c HD Safety Razor - Dur Back October 31st

Any idea when these will be back in stock?

Sorry about that DonJose but it now looks like they will be in at some stage late next week. The shipment has been delayed by over three weeks as production is struggling to keep up.

• Advertisement

Shaving.ie wrote: »
    Sorry about that DonJose but it now looks like they will be in at some stage late next week. The shipment has been delayed by over three weeks as production is struggling to keep up.
    I spoke too soon :) the new stock arrived just now.

Advertisement