Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deise Greenway. Cycle path. Waterford City to Dungarvan.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

STIG83 wrote: »
    Cycled from Durrow to Scatore and back tonight,
    Two things to say: what happened playground at Durrow station?
    Hopefully Council keep the vegetation on the sides of the track under control, a lot of ragwort in full bloom.
    Wanderer78 wrote: »
    this is baffling us as well, be interested to hear what the story is there

For those who haven't seen it recently. What's happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,843 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

For those who haven't seen it recently. What's happened?

there was a lovely playground at the durrow station on the greenway a few months ago, it has mysteriously disappeared

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Beeker wrote: »
    I agree a lot of weeds starting to grow along the edges in parts. Anyone know if the Council have anything in place for maintenance along the greenway? I would think that it would be a fulltime job for one or two people to maintain it all year long.

From Kilmeaden to Kilmac its particularly bad one long straight section just before Carrolls cross looks terrible and needs to be cut asap i really hope that there is a budget for this kinda stuff

Also read in the paper today that Waterford Walls is going to include the Greenway this year,anyone know where maybe the underpasses?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

From Kilmeaden to Kilmac its particularly bad one long straight section just before Carrolls cross looks terrible and needs to be cut asap i really hope that there is a budget for this kinda stuff

I walked the section east of Kilmac recently during the week and they were all over it with a tractor, trailer and hedge-cutting equipment, so it does seem as if maintenance is very much part of the deal. Maybe they're just a little late on that bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Also read in the paper today that Waterford Walls is going to include the Greenway this year,anyone know where maybe the underpasses?

Ragwort needs to be sprayed to have any chance of getting rid of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

there was a lovely playground at the durrow station on the greenway a few months ago, it has mysteriously disappeared

Was that the one with the slide made to come out of a Train? Was lovely, pity that's gone. I thought WCC had done a great job of animating the route with playgrounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭minibear

STIG83 wrote: »
    Cycled from Durrow to Scatore and back tonight,
    Two things to say: what happened playground at Durrow station?
    Hopefully Council keep the vegetation on the sides of the track under control, a lot of ragwort in full bloom.

I believe there were complaints of noise, so the playground is to be set up elsewhere near the greenway. Last I heard the council were accepting expressions of interest as to where to relocate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭blue_blue

ntLwIhg.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

minibear wrote: »
    I believe there were complaints of noise
    There's a playground beside a train station and there are complaints about noise...from the playground? :confused:

There's a playground beside a train station and there are complaints about noise...from the playground? :confused:

i dont think the station has been used in a while;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

i dont think the station has been used in a while;)
    Probably still makes a noise when the wind blows through it.

Probably still makes a noise when the wind blows through it.

was certainly stunning that day, glad i walked it then:) pic taken just over 2 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭minibear

noise from the kids using the playground from what I heard. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Junior

minibear wrote: »
    noise from the kids using the playground from what I heard. :)

Christ, there's a Glanbia yard at the back of the train station if kids make more noise than trucks/tractors/traffic I'd be amused.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,672 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Council are really going to have to do something about cyclists on the route. I know of around 6 cases of accidents including one were a child was rushed to A&E with injuries.

Mates young lad was sent flying into the air this evening by a bike. Thankfully no major injury.

They are going to have to put big ramps and/or gates like they have at road crossings along the route. Someone will be seriously injured if they don't but I suspect it will take such a case before the council act.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Council are really going to have to do something about cyclists on the route. I know of around 6 cases of accidents including one were a child was rushed to A&E with injuries.

Mates young lad was sent flying into the air this evening by a bike. Thankfully no major injury.

They are going to have to put big ramps and/or gates like they have at road crossings along the route. Someone will be seriously injured if they don't but I suspect it will take such a case before the council act.

What are the cyclists doing?

What are the cyclists doing?

Hitting people, they are going so fast they cannot stop on time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

It would be a great shame if the behaviour of the few caused huge inconvenience for many.

Hopefully some solution that does not negatively impact on the considerate users of the facility will be found.

It would be a great shame if the behaviour of the few caused huge inconvenience for many.

Hopefully some solution that does not negatively impact on the considerate users of the facility will be found.

Cycle path makings along the route might be a good start.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Ah right, I thought it was a cycle way, that's a shame.

• Advertisement

Ah right, I thought it was a cycle way, that's a shame.

It's both cycle and walking however a few cyclists think they own the place just like they do on the roads. They just show no regard for signs etc

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭freewheeler

Agree that cyclists have a role to play in keeping everyone safe but pedestrians do too...if everyone kept to the left for starters would be a big help...maybe a few signs along the way or even arrows on the path would remind people?

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Well obviously I can't comment on any of the accidents you have seen or heard about but I have seen one which also involved a child and a cyclist, however the fault of that one was solely down to the child wandering out in front of the guy on the bike. The cyclist certainly wasn't speeding and had a bell on his bike also. He literally just passed us by a few seconds before the accident. He Indicated that he was coming upon this family and one of the young kids just ran across the Greenway in front of him. He pulled his brakes and ended up losing it on the gravel and went down hard hitting his head against the railway tracks. He had a helmet on thankfully. Obviously the family went to check on their own kid's wellbeing first, then they went over to the cyclist. The mother got a bit thick with him, but I think that was just from the fright she had gotten. He wasn't to badly hurt thankfully but my point here is accidents will happy but people are quick to blame the cyclists is most cases. I have witnessed first had a few people cycling along the Greenway way to quickly and I've no idea how t this can be combated as the greenway is marketed for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,036 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

We have been for a few walks up on the greenway and have had some near misses with cyclists also, most do not ring a bell to make you aware they are approaching and some are just going way too fast. There will be a serious accident at some point which is unfortunately what will be needed to actually do something about it.

The rules of the greenway should apply to all, they are to benefit everyone.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

I've both cycled and walked the greenway, and to be honest I don't see how it can safely be shared on a busy day by cyclists and pedestrians. It's just too narrow to accommodate both. The day I cycled it I got several frights from walkers rambling on both sides of the pathway, dogs on long leashes and also loose dogs, small children wobbling on little bikes with no-one minding them etc etc. However the day I walked it I was spooked several times by fast cyclists coming from behind! So I'm not sure what the solution is. It was essentially developed as a cycle track I thought but walkers and families seem to love it too because it's car-free. It's a tricky one.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

The odd solution that comes to mind is to designate certain days for the different uses.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

The odd solution that comes to mind is to designate certain days for the different uses.

you're right, that is a very odd solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭914

inthehat wrote: »
    I've both cycled and walked the greenway, and to be honest I don't see how it can safely be shared on a busy day by cyclists and pedestrians. It's just too narrow to accommodate both. The day I cycled it I got several frights from walkers rambling on both sides of the pathway, dogs on long leashes and also loose dogs, small children wobbling on little bikes with no-one minding them etc etc. However the day I walked it I was spooked several times by fast cyclists coming from behind! So I'm not sure what the solution is. It was essentially developed as a cycle track I thought but walkers and families seem to love it too because it's car-free. It's a tricky one.

The concept of a greenway is still relatively new in these parts. I think in time it will settle down and people will become more aware on it.

I still see people not keeping left and cyclists not using a bell. Hopefully in time all these issues will sort themselves out as users become more a costumed to it.

During the openeing week near Bilberry I came across a family who were having a picnic in the middle of the tarmac, mind boggling!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,111 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I do not recall any suggestion that the greenway was basically a cycle path? It is a car free route for all and the most reasonable approach would be for cyclist to restrict their speeding to times when there are no walkers in sight. As soon as they are sharing the route they slow down.

While it would be ideal for walkers to keep to one side you cannot assume that young children are going to be 100% reliable in staying to one side. If parents have to supervise them the way they would on roads then a lot of the pleasure of the greenway would evaporate.

Maybe in the end there might have to be something like speedbumps or chicanes so that the urge to reproduce 'time trials' is thwarted. There was never any suggestion, in fact iirc cycle clubs specifically agreed that the route would not be used as a speed circuit.

One thing that would help if cycle groups made a point of not being impressed by someone saying 'I did the greenway in x time'. Some signs would be good too.

• Advertisement

looksee wrote:
    One thing that would help if cycle groups made a point of not being impressed by someone saying 'I did the greenway in x time'. Some signs would be good too.

Oh let me guess, strava, strava,strava! Damn hate that thing!

Advertisement