Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Netflix - General discussion & technical queries

Comments

I read elsewhere that there will be no new content until contract ends

"Starz will no longer offer original programming for Netflix subscribers. This was a recent shift in philosophy they made even before they were on the outs with Netflix, so even if a deal with Starz and Netflix gets made to renew their current deal there will be no ‘Boss’ in their library."

It's been on the upcoming on Netflix list for awhile. Granted its not always accurate but it would be nice to see it appear, I know I'd happily rewatch it again especially as it would be offered in HD. As I type I'm halfway through the last episode and it's exceptional television. Intelligent, adult drama with superb performances and some truly inspired moments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

It's been on the upcoming on Netflix list for awhile. Granted its not always accurate but it would be nice to see it appear, I know I'd happily rewatch it again especially as it would be offered in HD. As I type I'm halfway through the last episode and it's exceptional television. Intelligent, adult drama with superb performances and some truly inspired moments.

Fair enough, will check for it in the next while.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Mrs Apple wrote: »
    Hi,

Wonder if someone can help me? What are the step by step instructions for setting up block-us on iPad?

Not sure which DNS to use. Have followed dns set up on their website for iPhone and not working.

Driving me mad!

Thanks!

The following worked for me:

1. Enter the new DNS setting on your iPad in the 'Settings' panel. Enter 208.122.23.22 followed by 208.122.23.23
    2. Turn the wifi off and then back on.
    3. I gave my e-mail address to the Unblock-US site to avail of the weeks trail.
    4. Delete the Netflix app from your iPad. Make sure to redownload the Netflix app from a US iTunes account. I found that it would not work if it was downloaded from the Irish store.
    4. Turn on Netflix app. Enjoy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

Has anyone tried netflix on a boxeebox? I just tried it now and it keeps buffering and taking ages to do so. Anyone got any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

I'm enjoying the free trial. Currently I've only used Netflix on my laptop, iPad and iPhone. I've got the Apple TV and 360 too but not updated them so not sure what the experience is like.

But there's enough content there and forthcoming to warrant €6 per month, all you can eat viewing. I'll stick with it after my trial expires I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Watched three films on it yesterday using the US Netflix which I might not have seen otherwise. Have to say I am impressed with the content and the quality. Would recommend it and will be renewing at end of trial. The films I watched were:

Tucker and Dale vs Evil - Great little comedy sending up American slasher films. If you like Shaun of the dead you should enjoy it.

The Troll Hunter - A Norwegian film in the found footage style of Cannibal Holocaust/Blair Witch about a man hunting trolls in the Norwegian countryside. Brilliant film.

Cave of forgotten dreams - Documentary about cave paintings in France. Its directed by Werner Herzog so I don't need to say any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Bumble32

Anybody having problems switching to full screen when watching something on Netflix, using a laptop and it just changes to a blank screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

As has been said many times already there are loads of movies hidden on Netflix that don't show up when browsing under Genres or other headings, I just found the fantasic Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence on it even though it isn't mentioned anywhere.

Edit: Just found it has Red Dwarf, every episode and all Father Ted's and Blackadder's!

I'd be interested to hear how you found the Father Ted episodes (if found of the Irish Netflix)

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭huggs2

Bumble32 wrote: »
    Anybody having problems switching to full screen when watching something on Netflix, using a laptop and it just changes to a blank screen.
    what laptop-windows or mac?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

I'd be interested to hear how you found the Father Ted episodes (if found of the Irish Netflix)
    Fr Ted is on the American Netflix not the Irish/Uk one strangely enough.

Fr Ted is on the American Netflix not the Irish/Uk one strangely enough.

Its obviously a rights issue and a matter of what they consider worth paying for, probably cheaper for US rights (probably part of CH4 deal).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 226 ✭✭sillo

A little disappointed by the rate of updates to the available content. I was hoping to see improvements by now but its the same old stuff a week on...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

sillo wrote: »
    A little disappointed by the rate of updates to the available content. I was hoping to see improvements by now but its the same old stuff a week on...

There was a few updates today. The Netflix UK twitter & FB announces them. What were you hoping for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 226 ✭✭sillo

There was a few updates today. The Netflix UK twitter & FB announces them. What were you hoping for?

I didn't know that- cheers.
    Not really sure what I'm hoping for - what does anyone hope for really? A fulfilling life, a strong support network, decent broadband...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,044 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

So what movies have people watched since getting netflix? I've been using the US site mostly and so far I've watched Trainspotting, Limitless, Gross Point Blank and Red State tonight. So find myslef watching more movies since signing up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

So what movies have people watched since getting netflix?

Not a movie, but i seem to be watching a LOT of mythbusters. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

I've been watching Firefly. It's ok. I notice as well that it's been 8 days since I did the DNS switch thingy and it still seems to be working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

Had a problem with the US Netflix last night. It kept hanging and I eventually had to quit. When I tried to get back in it was looking for me to log on again & then I got an error. It was some sort of "DNS Error" .
    I thought that's it, the good times are over & its back to the Irish Netflix.
    But I then rebooted the PS3 & tried again & much to my delight it was still working & still on the US Netflix. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

CMpunked wrote: »
    Not a movie, but i seem to be watching a LOT of mythbusters. :o

I'm the same. Its mad seeing the first few episodes how, kinda awkward they were as opposed to now where they all have great craic even trying anything. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

nicklauski wrote: »
    I'm the same. Its mad seeing the first few episodes how, kinda awkward they were as opposed to now where they all have great craic even trying anything. :)

Thats exactly what i thought too, how it seemed much more like a american chopper kinda show, more intricate details, more actual myths.
    Now its seems like a proper entertainment show, the contrast between times is interesting.

Anyway. Netflix.. yay.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,402 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Anyone know is there a way to improve picture quality without streaming in HD? Only have 1mb broadband at the parents house :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Netflix on trial about a week now.

Watching 3~4 movies a day. Seen them all previously, apart from the animation and childrens' stuff, there's hardly a movie in the IE version that I have not seen previously.

I did not know what to expect, I'm calling myself disappointed, every movie broke down three or four times and I'm on a 17mb business feed.

For the low intro price, OK it's not too bad, but the full price won't attract me, it's not a SKY killer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

gbee wrote: »

For the low intro price, OK it's not too bad, but the full price won't attract me, it's not a SKY killer.

Can't get any lower than free!:pac:

I wonder should there be a thread (I guess this one?) for recommending stuff to watch that's on Netflix seeing as it's quite easy to not be aware exactly what's there or if it's any good?

You mean like this? Although thats in the TV forum

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,402 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

hang about, there's a way to get the american content? Is it just as simple as downloading and installing unblock-us? do i have to pay a fiver a month for that though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Mickeroo wrote: »
    hang about, there's a way to get the american content? Is it just as simple as downloading and installing unblock-us? do i have to pay a fiver a month for that though?

http://support.unblock-us.com/customer/portal/articles/291530

Free trial for a week. $4.99 a month after that.

US content is much better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

So it's free on some devices (by changing your DNS settings), just not on your laptop?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

So it's free on some devices (by changing your DNS settings), just not on your laptop?

Have not tried the laptop but working fine on ps3 and logitech revue here. 50mb UPC BB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Available on your laptop too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

You mean like this? Although thats in the TV forum

Exactly.

• Advertisement

Why would someone pay 4.99 a month for it if there's a free way to do it? Or am i missing something?

Mezcita wrote: »
    http://support.unblock-us.com/customer/portal/articles/291530

Free trial for a week. $4.99 a month after that.

US content is much better.

Sweet, that is fcuking awesome! Just from looking at the front page I can see the back catologue is way better.

Is there anyway to set up a to watch list?

Why would someone pay 4.99 a month for it if there's a free way to do it? Or am i missing something?

Itll eventually stop working and ask you to enter your e-mail to verify youre an active customer

But I could get the DNS settings before I entered my email. Instead of pressing sign up I press the setup button and clicked my device and got the DNS settings.

I don't know how it deactivates after 7 days.

Itll eventually stop working and ask you to enter your e-mail to verify youre an active customer

What will exactly? I haven't downloaded any software, all i've done is change the old DNS settings on my PS3. Or does that stop working eventually?

What will exactly? I haven't downloaded any software, all i've done is change the old DNS settings on my PS3. Or does that stop working eventually?

The DNS server will stop working and direct you to their site for verification. Just a question of when

The DNS server will stop working and direct you to their site for verification. Just a question of when

Interesting. And here was me thinking it was free. Heh, so that brings it up to eleven euro a month for a decent netflix.

Are we all happening to be using this as DNS?

Or how about if we use:

184.106.242.193 (I don't think this one works as it takes you to a website if you enter the address)

I found them ones on this page: http://support.unblock-us.com/customer/portal/articles/291525

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Sweet, that is fcuking awesome! Just from looking at the front page I can see the back catologue is way better.

Is there anyway to set up a to watch list?

Don't think so.

This is a good site for seeing what's popular though.

http://instantwatcher.com/

• Advertisement

But I could get the DNS settings before I entered my email. Instead of pressing sign up I press the setup button and clicked my device and got the DNS settings.

I don't know how it deactivates after 7 days.

I presume because it has your ip address, after 7 (or 9 in reality I think, I started last sunday and it said under my account that payment is due next tues.) days of trial if you haven't paid it will discontinue your service. Anyway 3.85 a month for a reliable US dns is excellent value imo.

I presume because it has your ip address, after 7 (or 9 in reality I think, I started last sunday and it said under my account that payment is due next tues.) days of trial if you haven't paid it will discontinue your service. Anyway 3.85 a month for a reliable US dns is excellent value imo.

I thought it would be IP but I'm Dynamic IP person... Yay?

I thought it would be IP but I'm Dynamic IP person... Yay?

I don't know but its unlikely that they will continue providing their service for nothing ,I'm sure they have a way of discontinuing it to people after a certain time if they don't pay.

Does it allow us to stream from the likes of HBO's website and that too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

My free trial was over on Wednesday and it continues to work fine even though I had recieved an email saying it was over. I couldn't use the Iplayer anymore because a screen came up from unblock-us asking me to verify my account. But there was no problem using Netflix USA.

My free trial was over on Wednesday and it continues to work fine even though I had recieved an email saying it was over. I couldn't use the Iplayer anymore because a screen came up from unblock-us asking me to verify my account. But there was no problem using Netflix USA.

Sweet, all I want it for is netflix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Sweet, all I want it for is netflix.
    +1:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Unblock Us seems to use some sort of DNS trickery to fool the Netflix servers into thinking you are in the US. Very clever. There's a lot of advantages to this over a traditional VPN. It's faster and cheaper for a start. But it's kind of thing that Netflix could probably easily put an end to if they were so inclined. Which I suspect they aren't, but the content providers won't feel the same way. Anyone signing up should pick the pay-per-month option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,035 ✭✭✭✭Basq

But it's kind of thing that Netflix could probably easily put an end to if they were so inclined. Which I suspect they aren't, but the content providers won't feel the same way.
    It's being used by Canadian's to access the US catalogue for a long time..

.. yeah, Netflix wouldn't be too arsed I'd imagine. You're still paying their sub at the end of the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭samina

I've signed up to Netflix, I have UPC 25mb I'm worried I'll go way over because I don't have a clue. Should I upgrade my usage or would this cover watching a few flicks a week on it does anyone know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,035 ✭✭✭✭Basq

samina wrote: »
    I've signed up to Netflix, I have UPC 25mb I'm worried I'll go way over because I don't have a clue. Should I upgrade my usage or would this cover watching a few flicks a week on it does anyone know?
    What's your download cap?

If you're worried, you can lower the quality of movies (hence lower filesize).

EDIT: This your package? If so:
    500GB usage limit

You'll be grand - watch away!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement