Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wetherspoons In Cork

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭corkonion

I find it strange that wetherspoons purchased the Newport cafe in late 2013 and still have not received final planning permission, while Benny McCabe seemed to be able to open his new pub Rising Sons in a matter of weeks. Surely it cannot be normal practice for planning to take so long, at this rate I will be dead and buried before anyone gets a wetherspoons pint in Cork.

The debate over Wetherspoons better value reminds me of the scaremongering that went on when Lidl and Aldi first started operations in Ireland, "Ohh, they won't stock Irish produce", "their food will be low quality", "their employees are treated badly" etc etc.

After the demise of the celtic tiger we should have learned one lesson, anything that puts pressure on the rip off Ireland merchants should be welcome in our "small open economy".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

corkonion wrote: »
    I find it strange that wetherspoons purchased the Newport cafe in late 2013 and still have not received final planning permission, while Benny McCabe seemed to be able to open his new pub Rising Sons in a matter of weeks. Surely it cannot be normal practice for planning to take so long, at this rate I will be dead and buried before anyone gets a wetherspoons pint in Cork.

Rising Sons was known about for a long time in craft beer circles before it opened. It used to be known as 7 Windows and only changed it's name a few months before opening. The location of the bar was know for at least a year and a bit before work actually started on the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

corkonion wrote: »
    The debate over Wetherspoons better value reminds me of the scaremongering that went on when Lidl and Aldi first started operations in Ireland, "Ohh, they won't stock Irish produce", "their food will be low quality", "their employees are treated badly" etc etc.

Crikey, the last thing you want to compare it to is the low cost supermarket effect. The veg suppliers being run into the ground. "Pay to stay" agreements with suppliers completely obliterating small suppliers.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

pwurple wrote: »
    Crikey, the last thing you want to compare it to is the low cost supermarket effect. The veg suppliers being run into the ground. "Pay to stay" agreements with suppliers completely obliterating small suppliers.

Lidl and Aldi are both known to be far better to deal with compared to the other multiples from a supplier's point of view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Had an hour to kill in town Saturday so went into Soho. €5.70 for a Paulaner at 1pm. I should have known better but bloody hell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Dbu

gimmick wrote: »
    Had an hour to kill in town Saturday so went into Soho. €5.70 for a Paulaner at 1pm. I should have known better but bloody hell.

Sorry but that's robbery. Places like this shouldn't be supported

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

Really? You really should have known better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

i see on the wetherspoons twitter that beamish and fosters are back on the menu at €2.50 a pint. Roll on opening in the city and douglas!

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭The_Banker

Was that for a pint or a bottle...
    Crazy price regardless....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Walked past Paul St. yesterday and its still all boarded up, looks like nothing has been done to it. Whats the plan for that site does anyone know? Be this time next year it'll be ready by the looks of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,982 ✭✭✭✭rob316

They are awaiting the final planning decision next month. Probably just a formality at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,398 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

The_Banker wrote: »
    Was that for a pint or a bottle...
    Crazy price regardless....

:eek: unreal price.

But yes, you should have known better ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭shnaek

kooga wrote: »
    i see on the wetherspoons twitter that beamish and fosters are back on the menu at €2.50 a pint. Roll on opening in the city and douglas!

I see politicians are talking again about minimum alcohol prices - funny that's back on politicians minds when a new chain is opening up offering cheaper prices...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

shnaek wrote: »
    I see politicians are talking again about minimum alcohol prices - funny that's back on politicians minds when a new chain is opening up offering cheaper prices...

its ireland got to protect vested interests/cartels !

shnaek wrote: »

Dont they have subsidised beer in The Dáil?
    Will minimum pricing apply to the Dáil bar? Doubt it.

don't you know when one is in power you become detached from reality and you adopt the mantra, "Do as I say, not as I do".

All pretty sickening from those highly people in suits.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

I know that the price of a pint is the big contender on being a Weatherspoon's customer - obvious in this day and age :) but as a women who lived in London for years, I and my friends avoided Weatherspoon Pubs because they lacked any soul. There was no music, the food a bit tasteless, just no atmosphere. So we went to places like the All Bar One or Pitcher and Piano Bar chains - always felt welcoming, gastro pub food and a nicer place to arrange to meet your friends. Apparently when they designed the All Bar One Bars it was to make women feel less intimidated and more comfortable as they were big, bright and airy. And I suppose they thought where women flock to, men will follow?!*

So I'm sure others would disagree with me - but I'm actually sad that Weatherspoons have crossed the channel. And when my UK friends come to visit - we'll still be avoiding that chain.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭liam24

Judes wrote: »
    I know that the price of a pint is the big contender on being a Weatherspoon's customer - obvious in this day and age :) but as a women who lived in London for years, I and my friends avoided Weatherspoon Pubs because they lacked any soul. There was no music, the food a bit tasteless, just no atmosphere. So we went to places like the All Bar One or Pitcher and Piano Bar chains - always felt welcoming, gastro pub food and a nicer place to arrange to meet your friends. Apparently when they designed the All Bar One Bars it was to make women feel less intimidated and more comfortable as they were big, bright and airy. And I suppose they thought where women flock to, men will follow?!*

So I'm sure others would disagree with me - but I'm actually sad that Weatherspoons have crossed the channel. And when my UK friends come to visit - we'll still be avoiding that chain.

Wetherspoons are pretty horrible, but Cork city already feels like one giant Wetherspoons already so it won't make much difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Of course, but wont you benefit when the other pubs you visit start to reduce their prices to compete with Weatherspoons?

No they don't.
    Prices in the Dail bar are pretty average - cheap for Dublin city centre but not by national prices.

• Advertisement

Apparently when they designed the All Bar One Bars it was to make women feel less intimidated and more comfortable as they were big, bright and airy.

ah jaysus, this isn't Saudi Arabia you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

No this isn't Saudi, 'Forest' but I'm talking developers in the UK who came up with this concept & it worked! If I was at work all day & dressed up I wouldn't want to hang out in a dark, boring, bar but somewhere bright and cheerful. Give me 'Electric' any day!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,363 ✭✭✭ofcork

Slightly off topic but seeing as one place is opening the boardwalk is closing soon.

No they don't.
    Prices in the Dail bar are pretty average - cheap for Dublin city centre but not by national prices.

€4.30 for a pint of Guinness is cheap by Dublin standards.

€4.30 for a pint of Guinness is cheap by Dublin standards.

I said that but it's still more expensive than many pubs - hardly subsidised!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

ofcork wrote: »
    Slightly off topic but seeing as one place is opening the boardwalk is closing soon.

Not surprising really, for the prices they were charging it wasn't a great dining experience, not in my opinion anyway. That spot will be grabbed in no time anyway especially with One Albert Quay on the way.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

CHealy wrote: »
    Not surprising really, for the prices they were charging it wasn't a great dining experience, not in my opinion anyway. That spot will be grabbed in no time anyway especially with One Albert Quay on the way.

Not at the rent they are asking for (€323K per year)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Was told last night witherspoons in talks over the turners cross tavern

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Was told last night witherspoons in talks over the turners cross tavern

oh now wouldn't that be something? I may just have to stop taking the car to Turners Cross when CCFC play!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

horgan_p wrote: »
    Not at the rent they are asking for (€323K per year)

:eek: f**k me pink and call me Rosie.

Advertisement