Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Etape du Tour 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

I stayed in La Toussuire when I did the 2011 Etape. It looks a tough course, plenty climbs to sap the legs. It's a tough enough spin up to La Toussuire, I only cycled the last 5k just to loosen the legs when I got there. Tempted to do it, it's a stunning part of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭GoTilUBlow

Dunno, still warming up after finishing last years.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭loinnsigh

I'm considering this - it's a beautiful region. Stayed nearby in Chambery when I did the 2013 Etape. Two weeks left to talk myself into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭sbs2010

I stayed in La Toussuire when I did the 2011 Etape. It looks a tough course, plenty climbs to sap the legs. It's a tough enough spin up to La Toussuire, I only cycled the last 5k just to loosen the legs when I got there. Tempted to do it, it's a stunning part of the world.

Whats La Toussuire like to stay in?
    Is there much for family to do/see if I'm off cycling for the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Looks pretty much identical to part 1 in 2012 except for the first climb, all I remember is how evil the Glandon is!!! Although this time the route is a loop so no need for transfer to / from the start / finish which is always a bonus at these events.

Might give it ago as there is beautiful cycling in the region outside of the etape itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Looks pretty much identical to part 1 in 2012 except for the first climb, all I remember is how evil the Glandon is!!! Although this time the route is a loop so no need for transfer to / from the start / finish which is always a bonus at these events.

Might give it ago as there is beautiful cycling in the region outside of the etape itself.

The glandon is a killer, but no madeleine. Oth er than that it looks very like 2012

sbs2010 wrote: »
    Whats La Toussuire like to stay in?
    Is there much for family to do/see if I'm off cycling for the day.
    Lovely scenery and hiking if you're into that. As for things to do think west Cork in the middle of winter, it's pretty much closed up until their big season comes around again, it's really just a ski resort. From what I remember there was a bar, cafe and a couple of souvenir shops open. It may liven up as it's hosting a TDF stage but I can't see it being too exciting.
    The other issue with it is it's about a 30 minute drive up from the town at the bottom so a bit of a commute to go anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

Tough enough Etape after the relatively benign 2013 and 2014.

Should be a great day out.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭del_boy13

Very tempting to give this a go. Will need to bring it up gently with the missus first.

del_boy13 wrote: »
    Very tempting to give this a go. Will need to bring it up gently with the missus first.
    It's a great part of the world. You're next to Italy as well so plenty to do outdoors wise for a week.

• Advertisement

I dropped it in gently with my missus in 2011 when I was planning it for 2012. "Hey, you fancy going somewhere different next year for holidays?". "Oh look, they do this cycle quite close by - would love to give that a go". We rented a place in the juras north of Geneva. It worked out well - we hired a car so I drove to chambery on the Saturday, stayed there then did the event on the Sunday, driving back to where we stayed on the Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭SuperSean

This is definitely something I'd love to do, maybe 2016 though!
    Do you have to organise this through a company and get a package or can you just register for the ride and make your own way and get your own accommodation etc ?

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭del_boy13

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    I dropped it in gently with my missus in 2011 when I was planning it for 2012. "Hey, you fancy going somewhere different next year for holidays?". "Oh look, they do this cycle quite close by - would love to give that a go". We rented a place in the juras north of Geneva. It worked out well - we hired a car so I drove to chambery on the Saturday, stayed there then did the event on the Sunday, driving back to where we stayed on the Monday.

Thats a possibility for a holiday option around this (have 2 small kids so need to factor that one in as well). Might be an easier sell than just buggering off by myself for a few days.

Thats a possibility for a holiday option around this (have 2 small kids so need to factor that one in as well). Might be an easier sell than just buggering off by myself for a few days.

Yeah we have a young lad as well. We stayed in a nice mobile home in the juras - remote but plenty of lovely walks and day trips to be had

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

SuperSean wrote: »
    This is definitely something I'd love to do, maybe 2016 though!
    Do you have to organise this through a company and get a package or can you just register for the ride and make your own way and get your own accommodation etc ?

You can do it solo but it requires a lot of logistics, not least arranging a drop off to the start and a pick up from the finish. Its a challenging enough event without the hassle of organising everything yourself.

I've gone with Trailseekers for the last few years; you just rock up to Dublin airport and they take care of the rest... happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭SuperSean

You can do it solo but it requires a lot of logistics, not least arranging a drop off to the start and a pick up from the finish. Its a challenging enough event without the hassle of organising everything yourself.

I've gone with Trailseekers for the last few years; you just rock up to Dublin airport and they take care of the rest... happy days.

Cool that sounds good!

I know what you mean re: logistics and it does make sense.
    What kinda price did you get from Trailseekers to organise it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭sbs2010

This year the finish is close to the start so no day of the race transfer if you can find accommodation near to either the start or the finish.
    Accommodation is probably the main advantage of a package.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭El Vino

Very like 2012 although not quite as tough, has anyone worked out the total ascent yet?
    wouldn't reccomend la toussaire as a place to spend much time in, when we did the Etape almost everyone stayed in the valley in either chambry or St Jean. if you based yourself there every prior spin would end with a Cat 1 climb (must be very close to HC) I had the family ski holiday there last year and it is pretty soulless.
    Valloire is a great place to stay if you are a cyclist, foot of Galibier, top of Telegraph and striking distance of Alpe D'Huez and Madelaine

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭oconnpad

Y

What kinda of money (ball park) are you talking to do something like this?

It's something i'd probably like to do at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 AjSp9

oconnpad wrote: »
    What kinda of money (ball park) are you talking to do something like this?

It's something i'd probably like to do at some stage.

About €1000 for 5 days! That's excluding flights!

Brilliant trip and worth every cent! Bucket list experience... Check him out, Sean O Leary Trailseekers

• Advertisement

AjSp9 wrote: »
    About €1000 for 5 days! That's excluding flights!

Brilliant trip and worth every cent! Bucket list experience... Check him out, Sean O Leary Trailseekers
    Are col seekers organising a trip?? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 AjSp9

Are col seekers organising a trip?? :)

Ha!! Good name :-) He's in the process of making up the package! There was 42 of us this year.. Great Craic

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Anyone know of Irish companies doing a packages for this - Sportactive are Marmotte only AFAIK. I do emember a guy who may have had some association with Orwell who organised a trip..... can't remember either his name or his tour company name.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭victor201

velo.2010 that was probably on your bike they didnt operate for a couple of years now,pity as they were very good :)

Ah yes Victor..... I was trying various spellings of OnYourBike with no joy! I see in the Marmotte thread a guy has signed up with Classic Cycling Tours. Perhaps, I'll check them out. I'd like to try one or the other if things allow!

velo.2010 wrote: »
    Anyone know of Irish companies doing a packages for this - Sportactive are Marmotte only AFAIK. I do emember a guy who may have had some association with Orwell who organised a trip..... can't remember either his name or his tour company name.
    Trailseekers in Cork will be going. Went with them this year and had an enjoyable week in the Pyrenees!

Trailseekers in Cork will be going. Went with them this year and had an enjoyable week in the Pyrenees!

Could you give me an idea of price for the trip. PM me please if you prefer not to post those details on here.

Cheers!

velo.2010 wrote: »
    Could you give me an idea of price for the trip. PM me please if you prefer not to post those details on here.

Cheers!
    I think it worked out about €930 plus flights (Biarritz this year) and entry €60. I ended up staying on a few extra days which was just hotel cost. Well worth it as we got a stage start and a stage finish (Hautacam) and some decent spins in around the area.
    Next years has potential for the same, depending on hotel location.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

I done this in 2012 with Onyourbike and found them excellent to deal with but in 2013 they didn't have a suitable package so I organised myself and stead in Grenoble which worked out at about 800 for 5 nights including Hotel, Entry, Flight & car rental. As its in the same start / finish for 2015 I am doing the same thing although this year I'm gonna head down a bit more south for 2 nights to take in Mt Ventoux,

Doing it solo is handy enough once the start / finish is in the same area and you can rent a car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

Finally convinced my dad tonight that he has it in him to do it, so I'll be there. Can't wait!

Will be following this thread with interest for hints and tips. Think we'll probably organise ourselves.

Advertisement