Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling transfers/rumours 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭MPFG

Super sad face

Why are you sad ?

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭bwalsh1983

The rise and rise of AG2R. Enjoyed watching them go from breakaway hopefuls to the position they are in now in the past few years. If they can keep Betancur of the pies and get him motivated they will have another card to play next ear. Vansummeren is a strong classics candidate and some power to help in the grand tours. Good signing.

Do AG2r now have the tallest and smallest riders in the peloton in Vansummeren and Sammy Dumoulin???

MPFG wrote: »
    Why are you sad ?

Don't like sky and there tactics. They have failed to develop or improve riders outside of froome. However he will probably will get to lead the team during the vuelta.

bwalsh1983 wrote: »
    The rise and rise of AG2R. Enjoyed watching them go from breakaway hopefuls to the position they are in now in the past few years. If they can keep Betancur of the pies and get him motivated they will have another card to play next ear. Vansummeren is a strong classics candidate and some power to help in the grand tours. Good signing.

Do AG2r now have the tallest and smallest riders in the peloton in Vansummeren and Sammy Dumoulin???

I think I read the betancur is gone from them at the end of the season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,731 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

I'm conflicted. Sky are obviously a top top team, and that can only be good for Roche. However he's may be limited to domestique duties for his stint. He's be competing with Pouls, Konig, Kennaugh and Porte to be a leader when Froome isn't racing.

This year SKY were all over the show so you'd think Nico will get chances in that squad

But with Porte back in form , Thomas, Kennaugh and now Konig it is hard ot see where he'd get leadership

Surely Konig would want Vuelta leadeship as I have never seen him ride the Giro ???
    Porte wanted Giro leadership this year so should be the same if he is back in form ???

Porte & Thomas are both good contenders for PN which is a favourite of Nicos

I know at least Froome does not show any ambition like Bertie to ride multiple Tours and stage races .....

Maybe Nico will lead in the Ardennes classics as SKY never seem to have anyone for these and Konig has never really exceled in one day and unlike others here I think with the right training Nico could do wel in these races ....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Maybe Nico will lead in the Ardennes classics as SKY never seem to have anyone for these and Konig has never really exceled in one day and unlike others here I think with the right training Nico could do wel in these races ....

I think the worlds proved that. I think Sky are the right team to get the best from Nico. He needs hands on to be told what to do and when to do it. Sky should suit him in that regard

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭bwalsh1983

Nope he is there to stay.

Constract stipulations for XL kit and French pastries not withstanding.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest-news/carlos-betancur-will-stay-ag2r-despite-troubles-133939

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

godtabh wrote: »
    I think the worlds proved that. I think Sky are the right team to get the best from Nico. He needs hands on to be told what to do and when to do it. Sky should suit him in that regard

In terms of being told what to do though, Sky seem to be limited to "Work your ass off on the front there with the lads for Froome." Once for instance Froome was out of the TdF, contrast with Saxo & Sky were clueless. Send Kryienka out on the attack light years from home, it fails, do it again the next day with the same rider. Apart from people thinking how great Kiryienka is to suffer like that for nothing, didn't seem to have much going for it. Saxo otoh having riders going for it one day, then saving themselves for another stage attack a little later.

In terms of racing nous, Sky don't seem to be filling a void for Roche imo. Also for instance, imo their best chance in this year's Paris Roubaix was G Thomas - and they had him on domestique duties for the day for Wiggins & EBH. Sky's virtues seem to be very much in terms of the physiological side of things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Be interesting if he can raise his game to compete at the top level (grand tour GC's). If he'd been in Porte's shoes last year at TDF would he have bettered Porte's finish?

It is possible that the set up at TCS didn't suit Roche and with Sagan now in residence then it would just be too hard to stay

I remember when I read Riis book what strunk me is how all his 'top' riders were at one stage or another planning to leave...I couldn't undersatnd why ...but then I think he promised them all 'the world' and it is not possible to deliver to all

Also many leaving plans were in secret as if they were sneaking off on their Dad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

does this mean he'll have to give the McClaren back?? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Junior

does this mean he'll have to give the McClaren back?? :eek:

No but he might have to give the McLaren back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Nico must be in the top 20 or so riders in the world. But given the big hitters above him, it's highly unlikelythat an grand tour or a really major win will come his way. Given that fact, he's best to go where he can make most money and have the best conditions. Presumably Sky fits that bill so good on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭letape

I thought last week that the team confirmed him again for next year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Sorry lads, your all wrong! According to RTE News @1pm its Stephen Roche that's gone to Sky. So Nico is staying at Tinkoff-Saxo!;)

Ya ye are right looks like betancur is staying http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/betancur-will-stay-at-ag2r-says-lavenu

• Registered Users Posts: 10,731 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Tinkov going off on Twitter saying Roche and McQuaid wanted too much money.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

el tel wrote: »
    Nico must be in the top 20 or so riders in the world. But given the big hitters above him, it's highly unlikelythat an grand tour or a really major win will come his way. Given that fact, he's best to go where he can make most money and have the best conditions. Presumably Sky fits that bill so good on him.

I wouldnt even put him in the top 20 tbh so cant blame him taking the cash and I would think he will still get his opportunities with Sky so win win.

At TCS his opportunities were narrowing with Roman getting the all clear, Majika and Bertie hes really their #4 GT option

Sagan then their key focus for the classics season with Bennati

so if your only going to be a super dom better to be a well paid super dom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,322 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

He's actually around 184th in the UCI world rankings :o

(Dan is 39th and Deignan is 90th)

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Tinkov going off on Twitter saying Roche and McQuaid wanted too much money.

Also said Nico not worth it and he is not stupid....surely he could be professional and keep his mouth closed

I think he takes it personnaly as do some of the fans that Nico has the audacity to leave TCS ....what the heck ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

Also said Nico not worth it and he is not stupid....surely he could be professional and keep his mouth closed

I think he takes it personnaly as do some of the fans that Nico has the audacity to leave TCS ....what the heck ??

I think Oleg doesn't give a sh1t.

dave2pvd wrote: »
    I think Oleg doesn't give a sh1t.

Then why slag him off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Shakakan

Then why slag him off

Because it's his idea of fun

What the blases ..he could be ridign for Porte in the Giro....I need some smelling salts:eek:

http://cyclingtips.com.au/2014/10/roche-commits-to-working-for-froome-explains-why-sky-was-best-move/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,322 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

^^^
    In that interview he mentions 'marginal gains' :D :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Andalucia

McQuaid must have made some mess of the negotiations with Oleg, no wonder Oleg is having a laugh on twitter - Roche has probably had to take a pay cut to go to Sky and will have to fetch bottles for Richie Porte, self respect how are you

Andalucia wrote: »
    McQuaid must have made some mess of the negotiations with Oleg, no wonder Oleg is having a laugh on twitter - Roche has probably had to take a pay cut to go to Sky and will have to fetch bottles for Richie Porte, self respect how are you

WTF ??

He is on a pay rasie at SKY

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

WTF ??

He is on a pay rasie at SKY

I wouldn't have thought he would have got one. Sky are tight I thought?

Advertisement