Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling transfers/rumours 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭letape

MPFG wrote: »
    What the blases ..he could be ridign for Porte in the Giro....I need some smelling salts:eek:

http://cyclingtips.com.au/2014/10/roche-commits-to-working-for-froome-explains-why-sky-was-best-move/

Unfortunately I'd say it's quite likely he will have to ride for Porte. I don't like Porte, but I believe he has much more potential in week long stage races and GTs than our Nico.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭MPFG

letape wrote: »
    Unfortunately I'd say it's quite likely he will have to ride for Porte. I don't like Porte, but I believe he has much more potential in week long stage races and GTs than our Nico.

Emmm not sio sure about that ...at GT at least ....defo better TTer and if in form Stage racer but in GT the jury is out due to staying power

I'd be happy if Roche developed his one day racing and had a few stage race leads and more importantly wasn't knckered to take a win

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭letape

Emmm not sio sure about that ...at GT at least ....defo better TTer and if in form Stage racer but in GT the jury is out due to staying power

I'd be happy if Roche developed his one day racing and had a few stage race leads and more importantly wasn't knckered to take a win

I don't think there can even be a debate on Roche v Porte.

Porte has got an amazing Palmares, especially when you consider that he too has spent much of his career working for others (Contador, Wiggins & Froome). If he had the opportunity Nico had as a team leader he would have achieved much more.

He won Paris Nice in 2013 and would have won the Criterium International and the Dauphine but finished second while working for Froome in both.

Sure he had a poor 2014, but most riders have a poor year from time to time.

Selective results:

4th Overall Tour of Britain
    4th Overall Eneco Tour
    4th World Time Trial Championships
    7th Overall Giro d'Italia
    1st Young rider classification
    Held Jersey held from Stage 11–13
    10th Overall Tour de Romandie
    1st Stage 3 (ITT)

1st Overall Volta ao Algarve
    1st Stage 3
    3rd National Road Race Championships
    4th Overall Tour de Romandie
    4th Overall Bayern-Rundfahrt
    9th Overall Critérium du Dauphiné

1st Overall Paris–Nice
    1st Stages 5 & 7 (ITT)
    2nd Overall Critérium International (Behind Froom)
    1st Points classification
    1st Stage 2 (ITT)
    2nd Overall Tour of the Basque Country
    1st Stage 5
    2nd Overall Critérium du Dauphiné (behind Froome)
    3rd Team time trial, Road World Championships
    8th Overall Tour de Romandie

2nd Overall Vuelta a Andalucía
    3rd National Road Race Championships
    4th Overall Tour Down Under
    1st Stage 5

Porte is a better stage racer at the mo .... no doubt that is right

Its the GT I am not sure about due to the 3 week staying power needed

Not having a debate about how good Porte is on from in stage races...much better than Roche but his GT credentials are not very consistent ....that's why question Roche riding for him in Giro or Konig

• Registered Users Posts: 13,322 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Astana sign Cataldo from Team Sky
    “He will be a great gregario for Aru as well as Nibali, and plus on top of that he knows the ins and outs of doing a good TTT – make no mistake, Dario Cataldo is a very important addition for the team,” Alexandr Vinokurov said in a team press release.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,567 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭blobbie

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Great pic here of him with Nutella or "Dario" http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/astana-sign-cataldo-from-team-sky

A replacement for Iglinskiy perhaps....

VeloNews ‏@velonews 14m14 minutes ago
    Astana's Maxim Iglinskiy has been provisionally suspended by UCI after returning positive test for EPO. Stay tuned for updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Doc07

blobbie wrote: »
    A replacement for Iglinskiy perhaps....

VeloNews ‏@velonews 14m14 minutes ago
    Astana's Maxim Iglinskiy has been provisionally suspended by UCI after returning positive test for EPO. Stay tuned for updates.

Good to see EPO is coming back in fashion....for feck sake.
    Hopefully it's just a few desperados and it's not filtering back in to the peleton. I'm still more annoyed about the 18 year old lad caught the other week

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Cunego to leave Lampre and go back to university in Verona (where his wife is studying medicine). Says he hopes to continue cycling with a smaller/local team.

Here.....if your Italian is decent. http://mobile.corriere.it/m/informazionelocale/notizie/corrieredelveneto/notizie/sport/2014/2-ottobre-2014/cunego-mi-iscrivo-all-universita-230267155772/0?checkEnrichmentDate=1412285567605

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭bwalsh1983

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    Cunego to leave Lampre and go back to university in Verona (where his wife is studying medicine). Says he hopes to continue cycling with a smaller/local team.

Here.....if your Italian is decent. http://mobile.corriere.it/m/informazionelocale/notizie/corrieredelveneto/notizie/sport/2014/2-ottobre-2014/cunego-mi-iscrivo-all-universita-230267155772/0?checkEnrichmentDate=1412285567605

Fair play to him, will still ride competively, get some race invites, and secure his future....and get to live in beautiful
    Verona!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭death1234567

Doc07 wrote: »
    Good to see EPO is coming back in fashion....for feck sake
    I'd say there are still guys micro dosing EPO for those all important marginal gains. At least they are getting caught now unlike in the "dark years".

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

TheBlaaMan wrote: »

It's up on Cyclingnews now. He's moving to Nippo - Vini Fantini, who're moving up to Pro Continental next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

More importantly have we any pics of the wife?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

cunego_moglie_1181_600.jpg

Why do you want pictures of the wife ??? Not a bad looking girl but not a patch on P Gilbert's, Rory Sutherland's, Maxim Bout's wives or Tony Gallopins girlfriend

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Viviani seems to be a lock to sign for Sky as well. Quite a sprint team they're building

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Why do you want pictures of the wife ??? Not a bad looking girl but not a patch on P Gilbert's, Rory Sutherland's, Maxim Bout's wives or Tony Gallopins girlfriend

Jesus, have you been putting a collection together?!?

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Jesus, have you been putting a collection together?!?

No...I have just seen posts on twitter with pics over the years etc
    Tony Gallopin got married today btw so saw the picture of his new wife (his girlfriend who is also a sportswoman and very good looking)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭Junior

Sportswoman ? She's a cyclist with the female Lotto team.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,322 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Congrats to Tony and Marion :D

B0PZnK_IEAEqdst.jpg

• Advertisement

Junior wrote: »
    Sportswoman ? She's a cyclist with the female Lotto team.

Well a female cyclist is a sportwoman ...why so pedantic ??
    I was in a rush ....gee its like the third degree around here

Well a female cyclist is a sportwoman ...why so pedantic ??
    I was in a rush ....gee its like the third degree around here

What type of degree exactly? Masters? Bachelors? Centigrade?

What type of degree exactly? Masters? Bachelors? Centigrade?

ha ha ha ......don't give up the day job

ha ha ha ......don't give up the day job

I won't - it makes me too much money!

As an aside, I have just changed club myself as of yesterday.

I won't - it makes me too much money!

As an aside, I have just changed club myself as of yesterday.

Why ???
    Have you more to learn / marginal gains ?/ what ?

Why ???

Better package on offer!

Better package on offer!

I suppose high altitude training camps on the the Hil of Tara and stuff like that .....Bonding on royal canal barges, etc

I suppose high altitude training camps on the the Hil of Tara and stuff like that .....Bonding on royal canal barges, etc

Nah, Bellewstown is where it's at for hill training these days!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,596 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Why ???
    If you really want the inside info - the "disposing" club made the "acquiring" club an offer they couldn't refuse ....:pac:

• Advertisement

Beasty wrote: »
    If you really want the inside info - the "disposing" club made the "acquiring" club an offer they couldn't refuse ....:pac:

To take him off their hands

Advertisement