Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gotham (Fox) [** Spoilers **]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Sounds awesome!

You probably got that synopsis from the Gotham website > http://www.fox.com/gotham/

There is a high chance that this show will go global after being shown on FOX. It would be great to have some plans to show this in Ireland on either RTE or TV3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

it also will focus on the unlikely friendship Gordon forms with the young heir to the Wayne fortune, who is being raised by his unflappable butler, ALFRED [] It is a friendship that will last them all of their lives, playing a crucial role in helping the young boy eventually become the crusader he's destined to be.

Thats the line I was afraid of, unless there is a mini-arc following an enquiry as to why Gordon is spending all his spare time hanging around with a pre-teen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

"It was all part of the day's job for McKenzie, who plays the younger version of the character that James Oldman portrayed in the Christopher Nolan-directed Batman trilogy."

Eh James Oldman ? Fail

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,526 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I like the show premise just worried as the network is Fox

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Ick, a Daily Mail link. I feel dirty.

Revealing pics though; Gordon looks just as I imagined, in that he looks like a generic cop from every other police procedural on earth, it was Cobblepot that peaked my interest as it'd give some indication on the style and tone of the Rogue's Gallery. Nothing too ostentatious in that respect really, though the clothes are quite old-fashioned, ditto some of the set dressing; that tallies with the script that supposedly leaked out, speaking of a certain timelessness in the setting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭jenjenten

pixelburp wrote: »
    Ick, a Daily Mail link. I feel dirty.

Revealing pics though; Gordon looks just as I imagined, in that he looks like a generic cop from every other police procedural on earth, it was Cobblepot that peaked my interest as it'd give some indication on the style and tone of the Rogue's Gallery. Nothing too ostentatious in that respect really, though the clothes are quite old-fashioned, ditto some of the set dressing; that tallies with the script that supposedly leaked out, speaking of a certain timelessness in the setting.

leaked script spoilers ahead http://io9.com/what-we-learned-from-the-script-for-gothams-first-epi-1530515272

wow!....based on that article the script is brutal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,890 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Selina Kyle first look.
    camren-bicondova-gotham-selina-kyle-fox.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

More set pics have surfaced, as well as a horrendously airbrushed promotional shot, this time showing Selina Kyle and the young Bruce Wayne. The actor playing Kyle is the spit of Michelle Pfeiffer, I can't imagine that's a coincidence of casting.

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/set-pics-from-gotham-reveal-first-look-at-selina-kyle-and-bruce-wayne
    jenjenten wrote: »
    leaked script spoilers ahead http://io9.com/what-we-learned-from-the-script-for-gothams-first-epi-1530515272

wow!....based on that article the script is brutal!

Yeah, that was posted before iirc; tbh I'd never trust any draft of a script prior to shooting considering how much can change before the cameras start rolling; hell things change even when they are shooting. The article also seems to ignore the fact it reads exactly like almost every US pilot conceived. Sure it's not original, but there's nothing in it that doesn't sound like your typical whistlestop tour of whatever world it is the script's establishing. Leave it to the later episodes to establish the subtly.

• Advertisement

She looks about twelve!....and Henry, ooh sorry....Bruce looks like henry from OUAT!

pixelburp wrote: »
    More set pics have surfaced, as well as a horrendously airbrushed promotional shot, this time showing Selina Kyle and the young Bruce Wayne. The actor playing Kyle is the spit of Michelle Pfeiffer, I can't imagine that's a coincidence of casting.

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/set-pics-from-gotham-reveal-first-look-at-selina-kyle-and-bruce-wayne

Yeah, that was posted before iirc; tbh I'd never trust any draft of a script prior to shooting considering how much can change before the cameras start rolling; hell things change even when they are shooting. The article also seems to ignore the fact it reads exactly like almost every US pilot conceived. Sure it's not original, but there's nothing in it that doesn't sound like your typical whistlestop tour of whatever world it is the script's establishing. Leave it to the later episodes to establish the subtly.

my concern is it'll be 90% cop proceadural with about 2 mins of story related to the Gotham world tagged on at the end of each episode. i have no interest watching something with a twist ala how Almost Human was a cop proceadural with a sci-fi twist.

either go all in or go home!

Alfred-Gotham-Large.jpg

He looks fat........

jenjenten wrote: »
    He looks fat........

He looks more like how I pictured Inspector Lestrade in that picture than he did in Elementary.

He looks more like how I pictured Inspector Lestrade in that picture than he did in Elementary.

very early 1900's look or even late 1890's....though they say Gotham has a timeless quality, i expect a genre mashup....1930's suits and hats while driving modern police cars ala Robocop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

I get more worried about the success of this as each day passes with the release of new information, hope im wrong because i want this to be so good.

• Advertisement

dr. who

man this show looks like a bbc production set in the 1890's or something...........

Looks like they are going with a Steampunk look.

gotham-jim-gordon.jpg

There must be some mad rush to get these promotional pics into the ether - perhaps in anticipation of the various set photos that'll invariably leak - because they're all so uniformly terrible I'd hate to think anyone actually spent time on them. Really awful photoshop jobs in my mind. The Dr. Who comparison's off-base because the BBC do some really nice, cinematic promotional photos for that show - the above are hamfisted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,557 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Jim Gordon guy could be Sean Pertwee's son

The Riddler now cast. Cory Michael Smith to play Edward Nygma.

Source

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Off topic posts deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

This has been ordered to series and a teaser released

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2014/05/06/first-teaser-for-gotham-revealed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,072 ✭✭✭OU812

I'm not immediately blown away by it to be honest. My main problem is some of the poor dialogue being spouted, though it could just be taken out of context. I hope the show remembers that Gotham is to slide into darkness and ruin for Batman to be born; if Gordon's allowed to save the day then there'll be nothing for Wayne to be inspired by...

All that said, the trailer does scream 'pilot' so hopefully it'll bed down quick enough

edit: already embedded above, removing YouTube link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Bloody looking forward to this one, especially because Ben McKenzie is in it, he's a great actor who will do really well in this role IMHO.

It looks promising but with Fox, I fear episodes to air completely out of order and then cancellation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

They'd be stupid to do anything to mess this up. This is a big opportunity for them. It's a series with a fanbase already in place.

Of course, it is Fox.

I would like them to introduce characters not in the comics that can be expendable since they probably have rules in place where they can't kill off charcaters like The Penguin, for obvious reasons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

this would work great as a 12-16 episode a season show, fox done that with sleepy hollow, and ive heard most networks are looking into the cable model, with 20 plus episodes worth of story storylines begin to run thin by season 3, and most series long bad guys tend to outstay their welcome, like arrow at the moment on the CW,

• Advertisement

Have to say that it really does look bloody good, it's hard to judge from 2 minutes of footage but it appears that it's not going to be the sanitized and safe procedural I feared and it's obvious that a lot of care went into shaping the look of the show. Hopefully this will be the standout show for the coming year, after all, they have a wealth of material to choose from and it should be hard to mess it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Seems like its getting the monday night slot :D anyone know when it should be starting?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

CW should do this. They've had a very successful run with Arrow and Smallville

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Raf32 wrote: »
    Seems like its getting the monday night slot :D anyone know when it should be starting?
    September 9th according to the TVDB
    http://thetvdb.com/?tab=season&seriesid=274431&seasonid=573179&lid=7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

CW should do this. They've had a very successful run with Arrow and Smallville
    i really think HBO or AMC should have done it myself, i cannot wait to see the day a cable channel put a serious effort into a comic based show,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭youngblood

Still not sure how the kids/grown up dynamic will work in this show?

A video giving a better look at the show has been released; a lot of it is just talking heads from the production staff, waffling about the show with generic, over-enthusiastic soundbites, but some of the actual clips look interesting.

I'm becoming more optimistic about this from what I'm seeing, but equally becoming more worried this is going to be a show in the thrall of the Batman continuity. I hope not every episode descends into an origin tale for Popular-Enemy-X. I also still wonder just how science-fiction infused this world will be: will Clayface, Killer Croc and the more overtly fantastical characters turn up?

Carol Kane will play the mother of Oswald Cobblepot aka Penguin

• Advertisement

don ramo wrote: »
    i really think HBO or AMC should have done it myself, i cannot wait to see the day a cable channel put a serious effort into a comic based show,

Netflicks are doing "The Flash"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

OU812 wrote: »
    Netflicks are doing "The Flash"

The CW are doing The Flash (Arrow spin off)

Netflix are doing Daredevil (Which Im really looking forward to)

I don't think that there is any need for Gotham to be a cable show, Network TV can be dark and gritty when it needs to be and I think the worst thing you could do with Gotham is go too dark. There's a tendency on Cable TV to mistake gratuitous sex and violence for what makes a show adult. Some of the most adult and dakrest shows are on the Networks, a show such as Longmire on A&E deals with far more adult themes and issues than most of what you get on AMC or HBO.

The CW are doing The Flash (Arrow spin off)

Netflix are doing Daredevil (Which Im really looking forward to)

You're correct. My bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 789 ✭✭✭mafaa

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,047 ✭✭✭✭cena

Well batman be on this show?

• Advertisement
Advertisement