Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S III to be released in April 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Four of a kind

unklerosco wrote: »
    What's yere opinions on the battery? Charge it often?

I charge it overnight... Lasts a full 24hrs for me and thats with fairly heavy use. With light use I'd say I'd easy get around 36hrs out of it. More or less the same as my SII, although that was rooted with some power saving tricks...

What tricks were they?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Finally got mine from O2, unlocked and unbranded \o/

Quite surprised with the size, it only feels slightly bigger than my SII. Coming from foxhound rom this all feels very similar, just better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Had a look at one today in CPW and wasn't as impressed as I expected. I'm out of contract with VF and considered picking one of these up and switching to Three, now I'm considering switching to Three Sim only and keeping my Nexus until I hear what Google announce at the next I/O.

Back cover felt a little cheap but have to admit screen looks class. If next Google phone doesn't have SD I might go back to non-Vanilla.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Right, been playing with my S3 for a few days now and very happy with its speed, size, look, etc. However battery drains like mad over night. This has been discussed here I know but can't seem to get to the bottom of the problem. I,ve turned off unnecessary running apps, Wi Fi and syncing when not in use but still eating battery, what the hell is going on when it should be asleep.

Another thing is the phone keeps dropping WiFi connection all the time, never happened with previous Galaxy phone. I'm wondering are there bugs to be ironed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

redsunset wrote: »
    Right, been playing with my S3 for a few days now and very happy with its speed, size, look, etc. However battery drains like mad over night. This has been discussed here I know but can't seem to get to the bottom of the problem. I,ve turned off unnecessary running apps, Wi Fi and syncing when not in use but still eating battery, what the hell is going on when it should be asleep.

Another thing is the phone keeps dropping WiFi connection all the time, never happened with previous Galaxy phone. I'm wondering are there bugs to be ironed out.

Mine keeps dropping wifi also whereas other devices wont . Im not sure if I should return it or wait for a bug fix. Its very annoying.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

HTC One X FTW!

Dermighty wrote: »
    HTC One X FTW!

Yeah that's why your in the S3 thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭G1032

redsunset wrote: »

Install BetterBatteryStats to see whats draining your battery
    There is more than likely an app preventing your phone going into deep sleep
    Link provided above is for the paid version of BBS but there is a free version on XDA forum

The dropping Wifi could just be a bug with the software. Early versions of ICS on the GS2 used to have Wifi problems aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭leemaree

I got mine last wednesday and it's unlocked, happy days

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Im finding the battery great on my own after the first week, defintley as good as the S2 was running custom roms and kernels so I can only imagine thats going to get even better once more custom roms and kernels start coming out.

• Advertisement

4th full cycle of the battery left over night again and this time a definite improvement with battery drain, but still nothing compared to S2. But I do think its due to the fact of having the sync function enabled.

Remember on the S2, we had a "sync" and "background data" option?
    Well I used to to have the sync always on but turned off the background data button as I never really needed it. But with ICS the background data option was merged into an all in one "accounts+sync" button. Which limits the ability to prevent background data from been transmitted if I'm thinking correctly?

[IMG][/img]screenshot2012060910453.th.png screenshot2012060910462.th.png screenshot2012060910461.th.png screenshot2012060910445.th.png screenshot2012060910450.th.png

So as you can see from the screen shots, there was still some background data/syncing going on during the night which I couldn't figure out.

The only account I've set to sync in my "accounts+sync" is my hotmail.

So what I've done now, is just turned off the sync tab in the notifications bar. Hopefully that will stop any undue draining during sleep time.

Think I might try and root it over the weekend and take off alot of RAM hogging bloatware as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

A bloke in work had some over night battery problems too.
    In his case it turned out to be Google+ was uploading all his photos (had 100's) to his G+ account when it was left idle. Once he turned this off it was fine.

god's toy wrote: »
    A bloke in work had some over night battery problems too.
    In his case it turned out to be Google+ was uploading all his photos (had 100's) to his G+ account when it was left idle. Once he turned this off it was fine.

I presume this would show up in the accounts and sync tab? I don't have it there, so I take its not hidden somewhere else?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

I presume this would show up in the accounts and sync tab? I don't have it there, so I take its not hidden somewhere else?

It's a setting in google+

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

Received my blue S3 yesterday from three. Loving the phone, its a massive step up from the iphone 4.
    Anyway, i ran the unlock check *#7465625# and all locks are off. Just thought someone might be interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

I'm in a quandry. I have the S2 and love it. Have it set up just how I want it and have spare batteries etc for it.

CPW are offering me the blue S3 FOC on a 24 month contract AND will give me €175 credit for my S2 so I could get a nice cover, a spare battery etc.

The only issues I have are as follows:-

1. A 24 month contract seems very long. I can pay €100 and reduce that to an 18 month contract but I guess this phone will be the mutts nuts for the next two years more or less so maybe getting it now will keep it 'current' for the max time and therefore 24 months might be fine. Thoughts?

2. It's only the 16GB model. I'd really prefer the 32GB model but it doesn't look like CPW are going to be doing the 32GB model.

3. ATM I'm on Perfect Choice 500 and have free calls to 5 predefined numbers (which probably account for 50% of all my calls) plus 500 minutes to Irish landlines and mobiles, plus 500 texts plus 2GB of data. If I want the S3 I have to change from my current Perfect Choice 500 tariff to a new MyWay tariff of €65 a month which gives me 500 minutes a month to any local or international number whether landline or mobile but I'm guessing that if my currently 5 free numbers were to counted this would effectively halve the number of minutes I'd be getting under the new tariff and it could end up costing me a fortune in additional usage costs per month. This is a big concern for me :eek:

4. I have 7 months left on my current Vodafone contract so I could just wait it out with my trusty S2 and see what Vodafone offer me when the contract is up. (BTW, for some reason I seem to be able to upgrade to a new contract with free S3 via the CPW without any penalty for terminating the current Vodafone contract but when I rang Vodafone they said they couldn't upgrade me for 7 months!!)

suggestions anyone??

I have serious S3 envy but is it really that much better than a well sorted S2??

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭Chet T16

BenThere wrote: »

I have serious S3 envy but is it really that much better than a well sorted S2??

Ben

Honestly, no.

But i imagine you've only posted because you want someone to convince you to get the SIII, which i think you should do. ;)

Feck ya Chet, you've nailed me in one :o

Convince me, convince me

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭keredern

Hi guys!

Absolutely loving this phone!!

It's the Bee's Knees!!!

But having a problem with the signal.

The phone keeps showing the 'R' symbol for roaming & will not switch back to Three (my network) even when I'm in an area with full 'H' signal.

It's very annoying because of course I have no data usage.

I have to go into to Networks to manually search for Three.

Does anyone know of a solution for this?:confused:

Phone is running stock everything!!

Galaxy S3 rocks!!!:D

I'm in a quandry. I have the S2 and love it. Have it set up just how I want it and have spare batteries etc for it.

CPW are offering me the blue S3 FOC on a 24 month contract AND will give me €175 credit for my S2 so I could get a nice cover, a spare battery etc.

The only issues I have are as follows:-

1. A 24 month contract seems very long. I can pay €100 and reduce that to an 18 month contract but I guess this phone will be the mutts nuts for the next two years more or less so maybe getting it now will keep it 'current' for the max time and therefore 24 months might be fine. Thoughts?

2. It's only the 16GB model. I'd really prefer the 32GB model but it doesn't look like CPW are going to be doing the 32GB model.

3. ATM I'm on Perfect Choice 500 and have free calls to 5 predefined numbers (which probably account for 50% of all my calls) plus 500 minutes to Irish landlines and mobiles, plus 500 texts plus 2GB of data. If I want the S3 I have to change from my current Perfect Choice 500 tariff to a new MyWay tariff of €65 a month which gives me 500 minutes a month to any local or international number whether landline or mobile but I'm guessing that if my currently 5 free numbers were to counted this would effectively halve the number of minutes I'd be getting under the new tariff and it could end up costing me a fortune in additional usage costs per month. This is a big concern for me :eek:

4. I have 7 months left on my current Vodafone contract so I could just wait it out with my trusty S2 and see what Vodafone offer me when the contract is up. (BTW, for some reason I seem to be able to upgrade to a new contract with free S3 via the CPW without any penalty for terminating the current Vodafone contract but when I rang Vodafone they said they couldn't upgrade me for 7 months!!)

suggestions anyone??

Ben

Seriously, the phone is AMAZING but you would be NUTS to take a 24 month contract, especially on the terms you have outlined above.

Why not do what I have done & get the eMobile completely UNLIMITED offer at €34.50 per month for 18 months with the S3 (€239). (Eircom customer a/c no needed)

I was lucky enough to get the phone for €139 but still would have paid the €239!!

I know you would have to continue paying your VF account but I also have 6 months left on my Three contract & still went for this.

It's a fantastic deal & worth the 6 months x €40 to Three (I get 30% discount off that tariff).

I ADORE the S3 & already had the HOX but sent it back....it's sooooooo laggy.....I was disgusted.

• Advertisement

keredern wrote: »
    Why not do what I have done & get the eMobile completely UNLIMITED offer at €34.50 per month for 18 months with the S3 (€239). (Eircom customer a/c no needed)

For two reasons:-

1. I don't have an Eircom account of any sort :(

2. I heard the eMobile network was crap both in terms of voice and data coverage. (Have they their own network or do they use someone elses?)

3. I do a bit of foreign travel and I'd be concerned eMobile either wouldn't have a roaming partner or their charges would be brutal. (They aren't the company currently advertising "no roaming charges in Europe" are they??)

Ben

For two reasons:-

1. I don't have an Eircom account of any sort :(

Neither do I!! Borrowed a family member's!!
    2. I heard the eMobile network was crap both in terms of voice and data coverage. (Have they their own network or do they use someone elses?)

They are the same network as Meteor so you would need to check the coverage where you are.
    3. I do a bit of foreign travel and I'd be concerned eMobile either wouldn't have a roaming partner or their charges would be brutal. (They aren't the company currently advertising "no roaming charges in Europe" are they??)

Ben

Not sure how roaming works with them but a free call to 1800 690 000 should help there!

Anyway, that was just to give you another possible option!

Go for the phone but not the 24 month contract & maybe try to insist on staying on your current tarfiff??

Oh, & that's THREE reasons!!!!:pac::p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Hi guys!

It's the Bee's Knees!!!

The phone keeps showing the 'R' symbol for roaming & will not switch back to Three (my network) even when I'm in an area with full 'H' signal.

Common problem with the Three network.
    There is no permanent fix for it either unfortunately.

Kensington wrote: »
    Common problem with the Three network.
    There is no permanent fix for it either unfortunately.

Never happened with my Desire HD or the HOX when I had it???:confused:

Never happened with my Desire HD or the HOX when I had it???:confused:

I have the same issue with the S3 and also with the S2 on 3 network. Always seems to see the R icon over the signal bar, which I was told means that that I'm on vodaphone 2g coverage for voice/text but no 3G signal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

Wheres this? and how many texts, talk and data?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

lomb wrote: »
    Can the s3 text resize like htc in the web browser. Mine doesnt seem to be able to.

Just use a different browser then, should work on chrome

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Hi guys!

It's the Bee's Knees!!!

I met someone who was having same problem with his S2 last year. We managed to sort it by switching the network mode to 2G only for a couple of minutes, and then back again to 2G/3G. Worth a try should be in settings under mobile network.

Wheres this? and how many texts, talk and data?

Check out http://shop.vodafone.ie/shop/phonesAndPlans/phonesAndPlansHome.jsp?reset=true&subPage=plans

Ben

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

Seems expensive compared to the Three offer of 40Euro a month with unlimited data.

Advertisement