Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off-Topic Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

I like the idea of turning a rad into a pump top, but when you consider the prices of the components in question... does €40 plus €40 really add up to €180? :eek::o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Solitaire wrote: »
    I wonder what that could be a euphemism for? :pac:

Let's not get into that, otherwise you can start working out what "Thermal paste" would be! :pac:

:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

Lads, ive got a guide to customizing Windows (the aesthetics that is) but im not sure what section to put it in

Help !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Deano12345 wrote: »
    Lads, ive got a guide to customizing Windows (the aesthetics that is) but im not sure what section to put it in

Help !
    Operating Systems -> Windows.

main.php?g2_itemId=9951
    main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=9951&g2_serialNumber=1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Komplett-Tech: Ryan

:o

Oh my days... I want that. PC Cases are soooo 2010, lets just screw out components to some plywood and hang it on the wall.

But seriously, where did that pci-e extender cable come from?

But seriously, where did that pci-e extender cable come from?

Funny, considering you work for a company that supplies computer parts... you should know these things!:pac:

Hah, hold up there Rick. I know what they are, just no idea where to find one. Google isn't much help unless i want to order it from china, and be in with the chance to win an iPad.

Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

I'm surprised no one is complaining about the latency that the PCI-E expander introduces :P

Hah, hold up there Rick. I know what they are, just no idea where to find one. Google isn't much help unless i want to order it from china, and be in with the chance to win an iPad.

Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down... ;)

You suck at google, then. Correct name is PCI express Riser card
    http://www.plinkusa.net/webR1PCI-E1-1R.htm

Difference is, I will make you cry and hurt you when I see you, ya fecker! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

What i want to know is why has he got a fan controller with no fans (bar cpu) ?
    :confused:

You suck at google, then. Correct name is PCI express Riser card
    http://www.plinkusa.net/webR1PCI-E1-1R.htm

Difference is, I will make you cry and hurt you when I see you, ya fecker! :pac:

Thanks chief. Shame they don't ship to Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 154 ✭✭TiNcAn

This guy has to be Irish. Am I wrong in saying so?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfGKM-6mrCM&feature=player_embedded

TiNcAn wrote: »
    This guy has to be Irish. Am I wrong in saying so?

He sounds like Dougal outta father ted :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 154 ✭✭TiNcAn

Another cup of tea there Ms.PALRO

129087585484766496.jpg

:pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

http://www.boards.ie/love.php

I got a 10/10 match with solitaire ;)

*winks sexily*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

deconduo wrote: »
    http://www.boards.ie/love.php

I got a 10/10 match with solitaire ;)

*winks sexily*
    HA so did i!

Sol you player ;)

Ditto.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Hands off! He's mine!
    boards_heart_eyes_small.gifboards_heart_eyes_small.gifboards_heart_eyes_small.gifboards_heart_eyes_small.gifboards_heart_eyes_small.gifboards_heart_eyes_small.gifboards_heart_eyes_small.gifboards_heart_eyes_small.gifboards_heart_eyes_small.gifboards_heart_eyes_small.gifboards_heart_eyes_small.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Been reading a good few reports of 460 slis beating the 580, so happy i bought this card when i did and a mobo with sli

Corsair Force 120 GB Solid State Drive just dropped £12 on amazon today. let the SSD price drops begin!

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    Corsair Force 120 GB Solid State Drive just dropped £12 on amazon today. let the SSD price drops begin!

12 quid?!?! :pac:

Dont see any for 120 either :(

nuxxx wrote: »
    12 quid?!?! :pac:

Dont see any for 120 either :(
    no matter what anyone says, they're not gonna hit the £1/gb mark for a long time. as soon as they become cheap enough for the average consumer to buy, they will remain at that price because the demand for them will be there.

Ye, would love one, gonna be waiting a while longer by the looks of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

Anyone ever try an SSD drive in a PS3?

It seems like they would be ideal for gaming, even if they are small like 60GB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

Moon54 wrote: »
    Anyone ever try an SSD drive in a PS3?

It seems like they would be ideal for gaming, even if they are small like 60GB.

Apparently someone did for GT5, loading times were halved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

Apparently someone did for GT5, loading times were halved.

Cool, thx Venom.

Got the oppertunity to play with an old P2 with... 52mb (?) of registered ram. WOW how did we survive those old days?? slow is an understatement. i made the mistake of accidentally clicking on "online mail", outlooks predecessor, and the whole PC became unresponsive for 5min (which is a long time to be staring at a screen that is frozen) until it opened.

• Advertisement

But can it play Minecraft Duke Nukem?

dukelol.png

:pac:

just reading through some thread about what PSU to buy brings back memories.

its a fuzzy memory, but i think my first real gaming rig had a 120W PSU and at some point in time i upgraded to a passively cooled Geforce FX5200 and was blown away by its power.
    i also remember upgrading a 3dfx voodoo GPU from 2mb to 4mb with an expansion chip that cost my da a fortune at the time. but that was well before my gaming time.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

just reading through some thread about what PSU to buy brings back memories.

its a fuzzy memory, but i think my first real gaming rig had a 120W PSU and at some point in time i upgraded to a passively cooled Geforce FX5200 and was blown away by its power.
    i also remember upgrading a 3dfx voodoo GPU from 2mb to 4mb with an expansion chip that cost my da a fortune at the time. but that was well before my gaming time.

One of my earliest computer memories is of installing windows 3.1 on one of my dad's computers when I was 6. It was on ~12 floppies or something ridiculous. Those were the days :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

I can remember buying my very first graphics card, it was a 3Dfx voodoo 2 bought from an electronics boutque store. I think my pc was an IBM with a Pentium II 400 Mhz and about 64mb of ram. That really was a golden era I remember playing Quake II, Half-life, C&C Red Alert, Baldurs Gate, Diablo, Fallout. All at 640X480 on a 15" CRT monitor and thinking it was the business.

Most high street game stores these days barely sell PC games let alone graphics cards.

sink wrote: »
    I can remember buying my very first graphics card, it was a 3Dfx voodoo 2 bought from an electronics boutque store. I think my pc was an IBM with a Pentium II 400 Mhz and about 64mb of ram. That really was a golden era I remember playing Quake II, Half-life, C&C Red Alert, Baldurs Gate, Diablo, Fallout. All at 640X480 on a 15" CRT monitor and thinking it was the business.

Most high street game stores these days barely sell PC games let alone graphics cards.
    my friend had a pentium 2 or 3 and his parents got a new PC, so we thought we'd try OC the old 1 with no knowledge at all. back then it was loads of switches and jumpers on the Mobo. we got it to OC to 2.xGhz and got to the bios POST when it died a short death. ha fun times. his parents never found out what exactly caused the death.

oops

why're all the threads being destickied?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

why're all the threads being destickied?
    Request from the Admins.

Jonathan wrote: »
    Request from the Admins.
    *waves fist in the air*

Damn overlords!

:D

• Advertisement

This thread was never adhesive in any fashion anyway :p

Lads where would be the best place to shift a copy of Windows 7(Full, Home Prem).... I had an OEM and taught there was a problem with it so went and bought one only to realise the problem was the HDD wasn't connected but I had already opened the packing and PC World won't refund on software.

I have it on adverts and Buy and Sell but they don't seem like the best places to sell it, I'm generally looking for someone who's built from scratch as most would either have it installed, or just need the upgrade version.

E150 just wasted :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,624 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

hey lads

can anyone recommend a gaming keyboard?

Hey guys,

I'm looking for tips useful tips to bare in mind when re-installing Windows.
    I have made a the Windows section, please take a look:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056274843

Oh god. my friend just went ahead with a new PC purchase without even consulting me, even though he knows i love this ****.....
    Dell XPS 8300
    Included in your system:
    Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English
    Intel® Core™ i7-2600 Processor (3.40GHz, 8MB)
    OS Windows® Recovery Media Not included
    1 year of coverage included with your PC
    DataSafe Online Backup 2GB - 1 year licence
    Microsoft® Office Starter: reduced-functionality Word & Excel w/ads. No PowerPoint or Outlook
    McAfee® Security Centre - 15 Month Protection - English
    Display Not Included
    DVD +/- RW Drive (read/write CD & DVD) with Roxio and DVD Burn software
    6144MB Dual Channel DDR3 1333MHz [2x2048 + 2x1024] Memory
    1.5TB (7,200rpm) Serial ATA Hard Drive
    Graphics : 1GB AMD Radeon HD 6670
    Dell™ USB Entry Keyboard - UK/Irish (QWERTY)
    Dell Laser Mouse USB (6 buttons scroll) Black
    Sound : Integrated 7.1 with THX® TruStudio

all for the lowly price of.... €950 (apparently a €390 discount applied) :mad:

no monitor or speakers included, so i get to pick them :rolleyes:

Why would you possibly get an i7 (not the K version) and bundle it with a HD6670?
    the 6950 was an extra €400!!

:eek::eek::eek::mad::mad::mad:

atleast im not tech support for the next few years i guess.

Does anyone know if the motherboard that comes with the new Dell XPS systems offer CFx support?

and how is the 6gb RAM in dual channel?

Oh god. my friend just went ahead with a new PC purchase without even consulting me, even though he knows i love this ****.....

Why would you possibly get an i7 (not the K version) and bundle it with a HD6670?

Does anyone know if the motherboard that comes with the new Dell XPS systems offer CFx support?

Wow i didn't think it was posible for dell to get worse but looks like i was wrong.

Dual channel WTF 2x 2gb sticks and 2x 1gb sticks!!!!
    :confused::confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Any chance your mate could cancel the order/ return it?

under the tech specs here it says that it only comes with one pcie16 slot, so no xfire unfortunately :(

and that is really odd, 6gig in dual channel :confused:

game4it70 wrote: »
    Wow i didn't think it was posible for dell to get worse but looks like i was wrong.

Dual channel WTF 2x 2gb sticks and 2x 1gb sticks!!!!
    :confused::confused::confused:
    and for €400 you could get 2 6950's in CFx!!

All i can really say is that my friend is an absolute ****ing retard. ive told him several times that id build him a great rig that would piss all over the best alienware/dell XPS systems out there.

he also works in the IT industry, and is a computer programmer by trade, so he has no excuses.

and for €400 you could get 2 6950's in CFx!!

All i can really say is that my friend is an absolute ****ing retard. ive told him several times that id build him a great rig that would piss all over the best alienware/dell XPS systems out there.

he also works in the IT industry, and is a computer programmer by trade, so he has no excuses.

Its amazing the amount of IT people (no offense to the guys that do :p) that dont have the faintest clue about hardware.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Well at least he got reduced-functionality Word and Excel with ads in the bargain.

game4it70 wrote: »
    Its amazing the amount of IT people (no offense to the guys that do :p) that dont have the faintest clue about hardware.

I'm a consummate hardware guy and people always assume I'm an incredible top-notch IT whiz who builds websites and codes for NASA in my spare time.

I'm not. I'm a hardware guy with some decent experience of fixing Windows. Preferably Jeremy Clarkson-style. With a hammer.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement