Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

RNS510 sat nav for VW

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

-Corkie- wrote: »
    Does your ipod connect to yours for your music???

Just through the aux in port. Must get around filling the hard drive on it as it's got more memory than my iPod. My laziness hinders me again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭JoeA3

The GPS aerial just plugs into the back as EPM says, and you just need to make sure to secure it well with some tape - so it doesn't rattle around behind the dash!

The playing music options are endless in my setup.
    - I have the factory-fitted MDI port, which allows me to connect the ipod/iphone and fully control the iphone, playlists, etc
    - The music can also be streamed via bluetooth from the phone. Very handy but the RNS doesn't display artist/track names this way
    - RNS has an SD slot, so you can load up all your MP3's onto an SD card and plug and play.
    - You can if you wish copy from the SD to the RNS HDD. Think there's about 20GB available (30 GB total, but the maps take up a big chunk).

So, I would suggest that getting the bluetooth installed along with it would be a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭spunk_monkey

Does anyone know anything about these:

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2249866

seems to have everything at a great price?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

You'd need to find out the model. If you look on golfmkv.com there is a big discussion on the chinese RNS knockoffs. Some are good but they obviously have more problems than the original VW unit.

That's a knock off. Not saying it's a bad unit but for a small bit more I'd stay OEM.

• Advertisement

Yeah it's obviously designed to look like an RNS.... but isn't :D

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Yeah it's obviously designed to look like an RNS.... but isn't :D

this unit seems to be getting the best reviews from owners.
    http://www.szwaywell.com/prod_dtl.asp?id=489

There is a newer version, also on the above site but is pants apparently .

May give this one a shot..waiting on a price but about 500 us dollars including shipping, then customs+vat so looking at about 465 Euro all in.

Is it a brand new unit for that price?

I'm afraid I'd still go with an OEM RNS, used or refurbished rather than an imitation, for the sake of another 150 odd euro.

Is it a brand new unit for that price?

I'm afraid I'd still go with an OEM RNS, used or refurbished rather than an imitation, for the sake of another 150 odd euro.

yep brand new..I agree with what your saying, but for a 2nd hand rns510 with bt module I would be looking at double the price compared to the spurious one yeah? Max budget is 600..so if its a choice between the above new unit, or 2nd hand rns with no bluetooth then I think I'll take my chances, based on the good reviews for the unit.

Yeah, to get the BT module as well, you would be looking at 700++ in total. And the BT install would involve a little more DIY skills.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

People run those units and are happy with them. It's your call really. I probably wouldn't put you off it if your research is done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

i would be looking at something like this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Pioneer-AVIC-F9110BT-Sat-Nav-AV-System-VW-Seat-Skoda-/260773041059?pt=UK_Audio_TV_Electronics_In_Car_Entertainment_GPS_In_Car_Audio_Players_PP&hash=item3cb748d3a3

i have the older model (f7010bt) in the leon and it is great. i don't know much about the one i linked but if its anything like the one i have they everything. mine has i pod connection. not a 3.5mm plug in but one that charges the ipod and lets you select playlists etc from the main screen. it also has full europe maps, bluetooth, cd, sd card slot. can also be connected to a reverse camera.

it can also be customized..

my start up screen
    25012011100.jpg

main screen

25012011101.jpg

if you want to get a look a my one just let me know..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Ive had 2 knockoff oem style ones like in the donedeal ad above and both had dvd drive problems withing a short space of time. There are no parts available to fix them so Id stay away.

As for the other features, They work but only just about, THe touch screen was brutal, the maps were suprisingly ok but the gps would loose signal from time to time unexpectedly.

My advise: Buy cheap and you pay twice, like I did :( Buy properly and you pay once!!

Lads,

Can anyone advise: I have a choice of 2 units, working out at the same price, both 2nd hand.

1. The original rns510 , version c LCD ,with Bluetooth module included.

2. http://cgi.ebay.ie/Zenec-nc-2010-sat-nav-DVD-MP3-SD-Bluetooth-RNS-510-/260814233837?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3cb9bd60ed#ht_5019wt_922

The zenec nc2010 ( not a cheap Chinese unit) ..has a heap of features including Bluetooth aswell.

Both options coming in around 700 quid.

Any opinions appreciated .

I said it already, but OEM for me every time. With the bluetooth you'll have a very nice fully integrated system which will work with your steering wheel buttons and MFD. Does your car have both of these?? If not, then a big advantage of staying OEM is negated.

€700 isn't tooo bad... Mine worked out at over 600 when delivery and currency exhange was factored in - just for the RNS.

Also, make sure its the bluetooth that supports iPhones.

I said it already, but OEM for me every time. With the bluetooth you'll have a very nice fully integrated system which will work with your steering wheel buttons and MFD. Does your car have both of these?? If not, then a big advantage of staying OEM is negated.

€700 isn't tooo bad... Mine worked out at over 600 when delivery and currency exhange was factored in - just for the RNS.

Hey Joe

Both of these systems integrate with mfd and mfsw ..my car has neither though:(

Yep 700 ok..but mine doesn't have the led screen like yours..

Also, make sure its the bluetooth that supports iPhones.

I'm waiting on an email back about the bt....my buddy has a pioneer avic unit with parrot bt..works perfect with his iPhone but I have a htc desire hd and doesn't work properly with it...

Any way of finding out if my htc works ? Have you ever used one with yours?

I've only used my iPhone but I'd be 99% sure if that works, then any smart phone will work. Older VW bluetooth modules didn't work for iPhones (and maybe a lot of other smartphones) as it was rSap only.

I've only used my iPhone but I'd be 99% sure if that works, then any smart phone will work. Older VW bluetooth modules didn't work for iPhones (and maybe a lot of other smartphones) as it was rSap only.

Hey ,

yep he confirmed the bluetooth will work with iphone, desire etc.

Do you know anything about installing the bluetooth module? I know, for someone that knows exactly what they are at, installing the head unit is a 15 minute job, however I dont have a clue about the bluetooth..I was trying to get him to throw in free fitting, but he claims that the install if the blue tooth and head unit is a 2hour job..is the bt module install a long, complicated job?

• Advertisement

Hey ,

yep he confirmed the bluetooth will work with iphone, desire etc.

Do you know anything about installing the bluetooth module? I know, for someone that knows exactly what they are at, installing the head unit is a 15 minute job, however I dont have a clue about the bluetooth..I was trying to get him to throw in free fitting, but he claims that the install if the blue tooth and head unit is a 2hour job..is the bt module install a long, complicated job?

Yeah, installing the BT does involve a bit of work, e.g. you have to route the mic wire up to the roof/headlining and connect it all up to the RNS too. The bluetooth module itself goes under the drivers seat - at least that's where mine is.

There are online guides if you look on some of the UK VW forums, but I don't think it's something I'd tackle myself, with the amount of trim removal and wiring that's involved.

Hey, just thought I'd update this.

Went and had a look at the rns510 rev c, Lcd and led versions..couldn't really notice much of a difference so went with the lcd version..also got the bt.

The bt used was not the one that mounts under the seat, but a smaller module (small black box with a usb slot which had a mini bt dongle plugged in it) that just goes in behind the rns unit.

Delighted with it, maps seem good, bt works well and can even stream audio direct from my htc to play on the rns.

Can't really fault it yet..well, entering addresses on the nav menu could be more straight forward...apart from that, it's all good.

Any tips/hidden features that I should know about?

Fair play :) So it cost you about €700 then?

I'm still getting used to mine and haven't played around with it much, but here's some things off the top of my head:

- press and hold setup button for about 15-20 seconds to see the service menu. This will give you version info, map version info, health check status, etc
    - try playing a DVD while driving (safely!)... see if video in motion is enabled on yours. It is on mine.
    - You can save up to six speed dials on the phone section

- The POI's on the maps are pretty cool... e.g. do a search for "VW Centre" and it will show you a list of the nearest VW dealers. Select one and it brings up address, contact details... press the phone symbol and it will call up the garage for you. Pretty neat, and works with other POI's too, e.g. hotels, restaurants...

- Go into the Tone settings and bring up the "Fader" option, and you'll get a graphic of the speakers in the car, drag your finger around the screen and the music will fade to that speaker.

Fair play :) So it cost you about €700 then?

I'm still getting used to mine and haven't played around with it much, but here's some things off the top of my head:

- press and hold setup button for about 15-20 seconds to see the service menu. This will give you version info, map version info, health check status, etc
    - try playing a DVD while driving (safely!)... see if video in motion is enabled on yours. It is on mine.
    - You can save up to six speed dials on the phone section

- The POI's on the maps are pretty cool... e.g. do a search for "VW Centre" and it will show you a list of the nearest VW dealers. Select one and it brings up address, contact details... press the phone symbol and it will call up the garage for you. Pretty neat, and works with other POI's too, e.g. hotels, restaurants...

- Go into the Tone settings and bring up the "Fader" option, and you'll get a graphic of the speakers in the car, drag your finger around the screen and the music will fade to that speaker.

Yep, 700 + 30 installation is what I ended up paying...don't like to think about it as I change my cars often and it will probably add very little to the car value..

Anyway, just thought I'd ask..I'm having a bit of trouble with loading media from an sd card to the HD of the rns.

I took the micro sd out of my phone, stuck it in an sd adapter and put this in the rns..but I just get an error message..

It's an 8 gig card..most of the files are android apps and pics and stuff, but I have about 15 songs on it which I wanted to transfer onto the rns...they are mp3 format but still no joy.

Is it because the card is too big, or because there are other file types which the rns doesn't understand..or maybe just a faulty rns?

Thanks.

First of all, if you're changing the car later on, whip out the RNS again and sell it on separately. You'll get a fair wedge of that €700 back.

I bought a new 2GB SD card and loaded a bunch of songs onto it from my laptop. Then when I put it into the RNS, all the folders structure I had copied were there but some songs were missing. Then I realised it doesn't support the apple formats, m4a... only MP3's work. So, even though I had invalid files on the SD, it still worked and I could see the few MP3's and all the other empty folders. I didn't get any error msgs.

I'm nearly sure I read someplace that older versions of the RNS, or older versions of the firmware only support up to 2GB SD cards. Try a 2GB card in yours and see what happens.

First of all, if you're changing the car later on, whip out the RNS again and sell it on separately. You'll get a fair wedge of that €700 back.

I bought a new 2GB SD card and loaded a bunch of songs onto it from my laptop. Then when I put it into the RNS, all the folders structure I had copied were there but some songs were missing. Then I realised it doesn't support the apple formats, m4a... only MP3's work. So, even though I had invalid files on the SD, it still worked and I could see the few MP3's and all the other empty folders. I didn't get any error msgs.

I'm nearly sure I read someplace that older versions of the RNS, or older versions of the firmware only support up to 2GB SD cards. Try a 2GB card in yours and see what happens.

yep, I read that too, but the dude that installed mine said he updated it with the most recent firmware. I also tried a 512mb card which only had pics and docs on it but when I put that car in, nothing at all happens..did a bit more searching and read that if you get an error message, the card needs to be formatted in FAT32 which I have just done, and added a few mp3 files to it, so I'll give that a shot when I get home.

Do you know if there is an option to add your own wallpaper?

Thanks.

yep, I read that too, but the dude that installed mine said he updated it with the most recent firmware. I also tried a 512mb card which only had pics and docs on it but when I put that car in, nothing at all happens..did a bit more searching and read that if you get an error message, the card needs to be formatted in FAT32 which I have just done, and added a few mp3 files to it, so I'll give that a shot when I get home.

Do you know if there is an option to add your own wallpaper?

Thanks.

Yeah I read the FAT32 thing too, but I didn't need to do that either. I just bought some generic 2GB SD card in Currys for a tenner and it worked no bother.

I don't think you can add wallpapers. I think the colour scheme is configurable but only with VAG COM connected up.

Joe, looking for a bit of help..

Went to use the sat nav today for the first time..drove me completely nuts;

Here is the address I was trying to find;

12 Grange Terrace
    Deansgrange
    Blackrock
    Co. Dublin

It staring bringing up blackrocks in the middle of nowhere...spent aaages trying to find it..could not get it to bring up blackrock in Dublin at all.!!

Any ideas?

It's all about how you enter it. It's a bit convoluted until you get used to it.

Try putting in Dublin and then the street name. Usually works for me.

• Advertisement

EPM wrote: »
    It's all about how you enter it. It's a bit convoluted until you get used to it.

Try putting in Dublin and then the street name. Usually works for me.

Yep tried that among other things..no luck even finding blackrock in Dublin !

Advertisement