Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

New poster, I like it, very 80's sci-fi ish, and fun

10312604_10152382664872708_8533533471067968169_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,032 ✭✭✭✭Basq

New trailer on Monday apparently..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,376 ✭✭✭Tefral

Anyone read the latest comics? Finished reading them last night. Characters looks definitely based off them from what I can see.

And a short teaser for the new trailer..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's funny, as this has been the film many - including myself - have pegged as being the acid test as to how far audiences will travel down the Marvel rabbit-hole. Based on all the material released so far though, and the good will caused by it all, GotG could end up being the studio's sleeper hit.

Impossible to make a final judgement but damnit it looks like a whole lot of fun and a needed breath of fresh air; even friends who'd have a passing interest in the comic adaptations are stoked about it. The Thor 2 post-credits scene already made it clear this is taking place in the Marvel film universe (yawn), but I really hope it stays divorced from all the Avengers nonsense and ploughs its own furrow :)

Genuinely can't wait for this one!

Movie i'm most looking forward to this Summer - by an absolute mile!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Basq wrote: »
    Movie i'm most looking forward to this Summer - by an absolute mile!

Not knowing any of the original material, I was skeptic to say the least. Now I feel I might actually explode if I don't see it in the next 20 minutes!!

And LOVING the music choices so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,009 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Aye, same. Really looking forward to it. Just from the trailers, it looks like it's going to be fun. Also really nice music choices, makes a change from Inception music

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

Before I watch that trailer will it ruin it for me or is it pretty spoiler free?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Richie6904 wrote: »
    Before I watch that trailer will it ruin it for me or is it pretty spoiler free?

There's definitely a clearer outline of the plot and how they come together but aside from that I don't feel in anyway that I know exactly how it will pan out. No villain action whatsoever, a brief glimpse of Del Toro but that's it

EDIT others might feel differently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

FunLover18 wrote: »
    There's definitely a clearer outline of the plot and how they come together but aside from that I don't feel in anyway that I know exactly how it will pan out. No villain action whatsoever, a brief glimpse of Del Toro but that's it

EDIT others might feel differently

They do also show very brief glimpses of Lee Pace as Ronan the Accuser and Karen Gillan as Nebula, but quite brief.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

now thats a better trailer.

:D

starting to think this could be alot of fun. like the look of ronan too.

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

Loving the new trailer

Really looking forward to this, the music choices add hugely to the fun element of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Burt Macklin

I love the fact that they got Vin Diesel to voice a character who only has one line!

Nice to see Chris Pratt in a leading role too. Macklin you son of a bitch!

I love the fact that they got Vin Diesel to voice a character who only has one line!

It'll be interesting to see how audiences react to Groot's one line

Last time Diesel voiced a character with limited dialogue it was in one of the finest animated tales ever made so hopefully it's an indication that this may be something a lil special.

Chris Pratt is someone I really think deserves the work he's gaining lately. He's a great physical comedian, with excellent timing, and if GotG (I can't be arsed typing out the whole thing) proves successful, then this could really launch him to the A-List.

However, not great news for Parks & Rec as his character is among the best.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,395 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I think they've said the next season is to be the last one anyway :(

• Advertisement

They've been renewed for one final season so I don't think that will be an issue.

It is great to see him getting recognition and decent roles in Hollywood, with this and Jurassic World he could be a breakout star this time next year.

Still find it slightly funny to see him in dramas like Moneyball and Zero Dark Thirty though. He's playing serious characters, but I still just see Andy!

binladen-macklin.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

I liked the first trailer and have been looking forward to this immensely but something just felt off about the 2nd trailer, overdoing it on the offbeatness and the over playing of that god damn awful song.

They should be careful in overegging the goofiness tbh.

I liked the first trailer and have been looking forward to this immensely but something just felt off about the 2nd trailer, overdoing it on the offbeatness and the over playing of that god damn awful song.

They should be careful in overegging the goofiness tbh.

I personally think they've nailed the tone with the marketing so far.

It's a film with a talking raccoon and a tree for god's sakes, they're hardly going to play it completely straight!

I personally think they've nailed the tone with the marketing so far.

It's a film with a talking raccoon and a tree for god's sakes, they're hardly going to play it completely straight!

I never said they should be playing it straight, I'm just saying that they've hardly given us a decent reason why this is worth seeing other than shout "look at this rag tag group of misfits lolz!" That was fine for the first trailer, but for the 2nd trailer I'd typically be wanting to see the stakes increase. For example, why aren't they focusing more on the foe's like Gillan's Nebula, Pace's Ronan The Accuser or god forbid del Toro's collector? Why aren't we getting a better understanding of the story and why we should care about these chaps?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,395 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Sure people would be complaining about giving too much away then. Personally I've seen all I want to see of the film before I'm sitting down watching the Marvel logo on the cinema screen in August.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Sure people would be complaining about giving too much away then. Personally I've seen all I want to see of the film before I'm sitting down watching the Marvel logo on the cinema screen in August.

And for that reason... I'm out.

Time to unsub and avoid trailers now methinks

Mickeroo wrote: »

Marvel Studios, a relative unknown director (albeit highly righted one) and a cast that isn't brimming with A-list can't exactly get away with being subtle with their trailers. They should be laying all cards on the table in order to attract the masses.

This isn't Nolan and his usual ensemble casts, this is a much riskier venture.

Marvel Studios, a relative unknown director (albeit highly righted one) and a cast that isn't brimming with A-list can't exactly get away with being subtle with their trailers. They should be laying all cards on the table in order to attract the masses.

But marvel are a household name now and so are all their films, they have a huge fanbase, purely off the back of the cinematic universe that all they need to do is slap the Marvel logo on the film really.

Plus a space opera is always going to be a hard sell to the general public, it makes sense that the play up the comedy aspects in the trailers to lure people in. After all the comedy elements is what gave Avengers and Iron Man (an equally unknown quantity to much of the general public on release) such mass appeal in the first place.

I'm sure they'll release a trailer that gives away all the major story beats yet though so I wouldn't worry (I won't be watching it though!), it's still over 2 months until release.

I really hope you're being sarcastic but I'm going to take the bait anyway …

No. This is the classic hollywood mindset where they think audiences are made up of idiots that need to be led to the theatre with a carrot on a stick. Laying all the cards on the table in the trailer is just ridiculous especially when you have all the things you said; a relative unknown director (albeit highly righted one) and a cast that isn't brimming with A-list - the best way to get audiences to see this movie is by teasing them into it.

You want audiences saying "What's that? Why haven't I heard of it? I want to see more" not "Oh well, I don't know the director, the cast is a bit iffy, and now I've just had the whole movie outlined for me in 2 minutes". This is one of the best marketing campaigns I've seen in a long time BECAUSE it doesn't lay all the cards out

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Here's a random fact I learned today that might interest sci-fi / concept art geeks such as myself: it seems Chris Foss was hired to work on the concept art for GotG's spaceships. That has me very excited, as his work from the 70s/80s is pretty legendary, not to mention gorgeous to look at (he worked on Alejandro Jodorowsky's infamous attempt at an adaptation of Dune)

I'd argue that Marvel studios are in a unique position where they can be subtle; while arguments can be made about the films' creeping decline in creativity, they're making a lot of money; 'Marvel' is watertight brand at the moment, a mark of quality for audiences. Marvel seem to know what they're doing. As for directors, bar Joss Whedon, and maybe Kenneth Branagh at a pinch, none of the Marvel films could boast a household name sitting in the main chair, I don't agree it's a factor at all.

I can only go by my own experience, but from what I've seen and heard from those not ordinarily bothered by superhero movies, GotG has got a lot of people talking. There seems to be a fairly positive response to the films apparent, brazen silliness and energy; perhaps by taking events away from earth it makes for a breath of fresh air from the increasingly cramped confines of the Avengers films

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,286 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Just watched the new trailer. Felt the first showed off the humour and this mixed it with a bit of plot. Think that'll do for me until I see the movie.

I'm no expert on talking raccoons but did anyone else think Rocket's syncing was off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

It would seem Marvel are heading in the direction of the Infinity story line with Thantos being the final villan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Yeti Beast

Suppose it was only a matter of time;

Chris Pratt is just amazing!

The man goes from childish.. to legendary.. to hilarious in three short bloopers!

I want to be Andy Dwyer's best friend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

The only thing I'm worried about is how they treat the villains in this one. The villains in the comics were actually quite interesting characters, especially Ronan the Accuser. I hope they don't get caught up in the humour side of it and are seen to be powerful. I think villains is something Marvel has fallen down on throughout their run of films. Thor 2 for example, great actor and great character in Malekith, but somehow he didn't come across as strong enough, especially later in the film.

Detailed breakdown of the trailer by Empire with some input by James Gunn.

Maybe to be avoided if you want to know as little as possible before you watch the movie.

http://www.empireonline.com/features/guardians-of-the-galaxy-trailer-breakdown/

I've watched it a few times now and there's one thing that's slightly annoying me.

Groot lacks weight. How tree like is he supposed to be, I can't help be feel he looks a bit too twiggy … if you know what I mean. I'd imagine he can pack a punch but I'm finding it hard to believe. Small thing though, still looks fantastic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

FunLover18 wrote: »
    I've watched it a few times now and there's one thing that's slightly annoying me.

Groot lacks weight. How tree like is he supposed to be, I can't help be feel he looks a bit too twiggy … if you know what I mean. I'd imagine he can pack a punch but I'm finding it hard to believe. Small thing though, still looks fantastic

I get what you are saying but it's still funny to see someone finding the "weight" of the talking alien tree, who's buddies with a talking genetically engineered gun toting raccoon, difficult to believe..... not the other stuff :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,242 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

You will enjoy this version so!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,569 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Been trying to stay away from the thread and any trailers but ended up caving and watching the most recent trailer last night after wine had lowered my guard.

Easily the movie I'm looking forward to most this summer. As others have said before, this is something of a test for the Marvel movies and how far a casual viewer with no background knowledge of the comics are willing to follow them into the Marvel universe. A lot of people worried about how audiences will take to Rocket but I reckon he'll be the star alongside Starlord. If this movie goes well (which I think it will) then hopefully they can push the boat out again and introduce the likes of Adam Warlock, Magus, Maelstrom etc. I'm still holding out hope we'll see Cosmo in this movie!

This will have to intersect with the Avengers at some point imo considering we saw
    Thanos
    in the post credits scene for the Avengers and BIG COMIC
    Drax is the one who kills Thanos.
    Surely too early for it to happen in Avengers 2 though as GotG will only have one movie out by then and no idea how it will be received.

As long as they keep all the different multiverses out of the movies I think they'll be ok. Once they start going down the comic route of multiple instances of the same people (Starhawk in the 2008 run) from different universes and times is when the casual viewer will call it a day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

Has anyone seen either of the trailers played in the cinema, and if so what kind of reaction did it get from the audience?

The 1st trailer played in front of XMen DOFP last night and was met with silence and a lot of 'wtf was that' looks as far as I could see. It'll be interesting to see how it's going to play with wider audiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Has anyone seen either of the trailers played in the cinema, and if so what kind of reaction did it get from the audience?

The 1st trailer played in front of XMen DOFP last night and was met with silence and a lot of 'wtf was that' looks as far as I could see. It'll be interesting to see how it's going to play with wider audiences.

Saw the first trailer too before X-Men, not sure if most people knew what was going on but some of them seemed amused/interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Yeah, people had pretty much the same reaction. If you don't know what it is, all you get from the trailer is weird looking aliens shooting in slow motion.

OK, I've spoilered the news because it's pretty big. It's in relation to the Avengers post credit sting
    Josh Brolin has been cast as Thanos

Link

• Advertisement

I was really tryng to avoid looking at that spoiler, but then someone announced it in my RSS feed anyway. For those (like me) afraid to unspoiler it, it's casting news rather than plot details or anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Saw it front of X-Men as well and the crowd seemed to really enjoy it, was definitely a comic book type crowd though. Was the original teaser not the newer trailer, prefer the teaser one myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Booked tickets for cineworld's secret screening in July. It's 3d, so based on 3D releases coming in August I reckon it's either GotG, TMNT, or Sin City. Pleeeeeeeeeeease let it be this!

New characters posters over at Empire; here's the link because they're not all up yet

82760.jpg

82756.jpg

82730.jpg

82662.jpg

New more plot driven trailer. Wouldn't watch if you're avoiding plot details. I'm certainly going to avoid trailers from now on

• Advertisement
Advertisement