Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chargers Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

I can see some upside to the Rivers thing. The Chargers potentially lose him as a player and could get nothing in return if the move to LA happens. However something that I haven't seen mentioned is the locker room impact. The senior members of the locker room will not be pleased and I would be worried about the reactions of Weddle, Gates, Floyd, Liuget and Flowers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

You wouldn't lose Rivers for nothing

Franchise tag him and the price is two 1st rounders.

New England did that to Matt Cassell and then took a lower price; Cassell and Mike Vrabel for the Chiefs number 34 pick.

It can all be negoitated, there's lots of time

There's nothing stopping him just retiring if the tag is placed on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Justin10

I think it's quite clear, if we go to LA Rivers won't be coming, so if we plan on moving then trade him.

Push for Qbs seems low this year and I wouldn't be surprised if Mariota got to the Brown's... Then we are talking business, we could stock pile a few pics,they are desperate for a QB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Molly wrote: »
    There's nothing stopping him just retiring if the tag is placed on him.

That's the issue... the guy might just call it quits after 2015 and go off to mind the 50 kids he has (all with same momma/wife btw).

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Prefab Sprouter

OAOB wrote: »
    I'm a firm believer in a good QB making good WRs.
    Two words to back up your statement OAOB, Tom Brady!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

Two words to back up your statement OAOB, Tom Brady!! :D

In this thread those 2 words are Philip Rivers!!:D

For now at least!!!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Prefab Sprouter

In this thread those 2 words are Philip Rivers!!:D

For now at least!!!:(
    Yes, sorry about that! It would apply equally to Mr. Rivers :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭tripperman

Start at home to lions, game that I'm baffled by raiders on Christmas eve in Oakland, hope its on sky sports, but it looks a ok the schedule, I had packers pegged as week 1,

Why are you baffled? We played Tennesse on Christmas Eve a few years back. Going to try get tickets to Seahawks vs 49ers and then Chargers vs Raiders, make a nice little road trip of it.

• Advertisement

Why are you baffled? We played Tennesse on Christmas Eve a few years back. Going to try get tickets to Seahawks vs 49ers and then Chargers vs Raiders, make a nice little road trip of it.

For some reason last night I thought Christmas eve was on a Wednesday, I actually thought there be no game till the Saturday or Sunday

Hmmmm Jax November 29 or Baltimore Nov 1 are the only 2 barely feasible for me.

Like that we are not last game on opening weekend, that has been a pain the last few yrs.

Anyone got an idea of who you think TT will draft on Thursday night, I think it could be dt Goldman or if hes on the board still ol flowers from miami

tripperman wrote: »
    Anyone got an idea of who you think TT will draft on Thursday night, I think it could be dt Goldman or if hes on the board still ol flowers from miami

I want Beef. If Shelton the DT is there take him. If Clemmings, Flowers or Collins (the O linemen in that order) are there take one of them.

Leslie91 wrote: »
    I want Beef. If Shelton the DT is there take him. If Clemmings, Flowers or Collins (the O linemen in that order) are there take one of them.

I like Shelton but think he will be gone by 17, clemmings also could be gone,

I like Shelton but think he will be gone by 17, clemmings also could be gone,

Shelton will prob be gone alright... not sure about Clemmings though. He should be there.

What about Gurley... were he to be there would you?

I would not.

Shelton will prob be gone alright... not sure about Clemmings though. He should be there.

What about Gurley... were he to be there would you?

I would not.

A month a go I would have, but after looking at some mid round rbs I wouldn't take gurley or gordon now there is a lot more depth then I had thought, tevin Coleman could be a round 3must if hes on the board,

A month a go I would have, but after looking at some mid round rbs I wouldn't take gurley or gordon now there is a lot more depth then I had thought, tevin Coleman could be a round 3must if hes on the board,

I agree, picking a RB unless he is the second coming of Adrian Peterson in the 1st round is a big no no for me. Gurley while no doubt talented is not Adrian Peterson (yet) and the injury has to worry some also.

GO BEEF!!.

I agree, picking a RB unless he is the second coming of Adrian Peterson in the 1st round is a big no no for me. Gurley while no doubt talented is not Adrian Peterson (yet) and the injury has to worry some also.

GO BEEF!!.

The knee injury alone is hands off after Ryan Matthews injury prone time, give a big run stuffer and qb pressure player

• Advertisement

I wouldn't mind a trade up for Yeldon similar to last year for Manti.

Rochey18 wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind a trade up for Yeldon similar to last year for Manti.

Trade up in what round?

Hard to know where we'll go. I think keeping Rivers upright gives us the best chance of winning but OT is not our biggest need.
    I really don't like our OLB strength and think that has to be a high priority. The group this year looks very risky, no sure thing
    DT is a need but not sure how much. Carrethers to start and then just back-up depth; possibly Palepoi or someone like that will do

Hard to know where we'll go. I think keeping Rivers upright gives us the best chance of winning but OT is not our biggest need.
    I really don't like our OLB strength and think that has to be a high priority. The group this year looks very risky, no sure thing
    DT is a need but not sure how much. Carrethers to start and then just back-up depth; possibly Palepoi or someone like that will do

Going forward with Carrethers, Lissemore, Palepoi and Reyes is a ticket to nowhere.

Unrein might supplant all of them in fact, but I do hold out some hope for Carrethers. Pass rusher would be nice but not sure what sort of quality will be there at 17 (same goes for D line though). There are loads of O linemen though. A stud RT to move Fluke inside and our O line will be killer.

Trade up in what round?

I'd say he'll be gone before our 3rd round pick so I'd say third maybe. Apparently this Ajayi lad's knee is in a heap.

I think Yeldon goes just before our 2nd round pick, so it be trading up a couple of spots to get him.

Dline doesn't seem to be great this year, realistically this year seems wide open, so I'm just going to wait and see and then make my mind up.

• Advertisement

Not a big fan of Yeldon but more so because no Bama back has been a success in the NFL lately

Lastt few days i've been coming around to the idea of Gurley in the first. It wouldn't be my pick but i wouldn't be disgusted by it. I don't want Gordon

Lastt few days i've been coming around to the idea of Gurley in the first. It wouldn't be my pick but i wouldn't be disgusted by it. I don't want Gordon

I don't want a RB in the 1st, it's a waste esp if a beast like Shelton or Clemmings or Flowers is there, or maybe even Gregory.

From what I've been hearing though it does sound like Gurley is the superior back...

Well we have to draft a RB so why not get the best one available, one who should be effective without a great O-line. In the second we should be able to get one of the top guards and I think if Fluker has a good player beside him his play will improve a lot. Playing beside Troutman does him no favours.

Well we have to draft a RB so why not get the best one available, one who should be effective without a great O-line. In the second we should be able to get one of the top guards and I think if Fluker has a good player beside him his play will improve a lot. Playing beside Troutman does him no favours.

I'm not sure we have to draft a RB.... nevermind a 1st round RB (someone like Matt Forte might come available for example). But your plan to wait to round 2 to get the big Guard makes sense. The O linemen this year are real deep, a starter can be found all the way to end round 2.

• Advertisement

I think an area being overlooked is our secondary, we have lost two starters,ok maybe not starting quality but two starters nonetheless.

I would definitely leave oline till at best the 2nd round. Outside linebacker surely is an issue too with Ingrams lack of health.

True that we could pick up a running back in free agency, we still have plenty of money.

By the logic I'll go with
    1st olb /dline
    2nd Corner /safety
    3rd oline

Then pick up a running back in free agency

Rochey18 wrote: »
    I think an area being overlooked is our secondary, we have lost two starters,ok maybe not starting quality but two starters nonetheless.

I would definitely leave oline till at best the 2nd round. Outside linebacker surely is an issue too with Ingrams lack of health.

True that we could pick up a running back in free agency, we still have plenty of money.

By the logic I'll go with
    1st olb /dline
    2nd Corner /safety
    3rd oline

Then pick up a running back in free agency

Pass rush is a need Melvin and Jerry haven't been able to stay healthy for long enough and tourek is only an average back up, dt and o Iine need someone and rb in 3rd or fourth round

I'm not as concerned about the o-line as most people. There are certainly some better players than Troutman still out there. If Gurley is as good as he is being billed I don't mind drafting him in round 1 but I'd rather be delighted if Danny Shelton falls to us. Not concerned about the secondary really; Patrick Robinson and Jimmy Wilson were good additions

QUick summary of where i feel our depth is currently

O-line - Currently have a good group but if we were to draft a G or OT in the first we become top 3 in the league and the Cowboys showed how valuable that is last year
    RB - Not happy with Oliver.Brown as our no.1, badly need to upgrade here. Woodhead is an excellent 3rd down back but is nearing the end of his career i think
    TE - Gates is great but we need to find out what we have in L.Greene, is he a replacement for Gates or a no.2
    WR - Solid if not spectacular. Will be one of our big needs in next years draft but a luxury in this one. If Smelter fell to us in round 5 i'd grab him but i'm sure lots of teams have that plan

D-Line - Liuget is starter quality and then what else????? Some good contributors but no great talents. I just remember 2 years ago when we made the play-off run we only used two D-line a lot and it worked well so not sure if i want D-line in round 1. Think we can draft around our D-line and get a bigger improvement.
    LB - ILB is set and if Butler returned to form we'd have strength there. OLB is where i think we're lightest on the roster. Teams need 3 starting quality OLBs and we only have 2 injury prone ones and even at that they have been inconsistent with production when healthy.
    S - I think we'll use a rotation of players beside Weddle, not a need
    CB - 2 good starters and I'm hoping Williams and Davis make big leaps forward this year. An area we could draft but not in the first 3 rounds i think

**** SAKE!!!!

Not happy with the pick and trading up for him really sucks

**** SAKE!!!!

Not happy with the pick and trading up for him really sucks

And what we gave away a fourth this year and a fifth next year,

Actually happy with this pick. Don't really care about our 4th round pick or a 5th round pick next year. OL wasn't necessary and Danny Shelton was gone. Texans were in for Gordon apparently.

TT obviously doesn't value 4th round picks. Just annoyed now but hopefully it turns out good for us.

Actually happy with this pick. Don't really care about our 4th round pick or a 5th round pick next year. OL wasn't necessary and Danny Shelton was gone. Texans were in for Gordon apparently.

Was it worth trading up do you think?

Was it worth trading up do you think?

I don't think so, was hoping bud de pree since he's on the board or Goldman in a trade back , but hoping for the best now

• Advertisement

I don't really watch college ball but according to just about everybody you had 2 elite talents and then some good running backs. You saw the difference a quality running back makes to our team over the past two years. A fit Ryan Matthews and we were great, we struggled without him. All offensive line players from here on in have serious question marks, as do the pass rushers. Malcolm brown would have been nice also. Check out the 4th round players in the last 3 drafts, it's worth the sacrifice in my opinion.

I guess it's a hole filled but lots more still and less picks to do it with. Let's see what way we go from here

I don't really watch college ball but according to just about everybody you had 2 elite talents and then some good running backs. You saw the difference a quality running back makes to our team over the past two years. A fit Ryan Matthews and we were great, we struggled without him. All offensive line players from here on in have serious question marks, as do the pass rushers. Malcolm brown would have been nice also. Check out the 4th round players in the last 3 drafts, it's worth the sacrifice in my opinion.

I hope you're right. Trying hard to stay positive here

We paid too much, yes Houston probably would have taken him but TT said it himself he had to go get him... That is the biggest mistake in a draft.

I understand the logic of trading up but it's very expensive, flipside I don't see many players after our pick that could of helped us like Gordon could.

I'm more disappointed about trading up than about drafting Gordon. I don't think he's going to be a pro bowl RB but I really hope I'm wrong.

Anyway round 2 now and plenty of players available that could help us. I'd be tempted to still go with Clemmings or Collins if they were there as that sets out O-line for the next 3years.
    Olb is still a big need, not sure who'll be there at 16 though. Need to get starters in rounds 2 and 3 today.

Shouldn't go near Collins. While police say he's not a suspect,it's not unusual for them to lie about that a lot. I can see him being a day 3 pick or even yndrafted as its too big of a risk. Defensive line or outside linebacker please

Am away without data coverage so only just got WiFi. I am pissed that we have taken Gordon and esp at the cost. I have to wonder about Telesco now. In my opinion you simply don't take a position like rb in the 1st. Jeeez I'd have traded down if we stayed put and Texans took gordon. Not happy at all.

I'd look at it a different way. If his agent thought he was going to be in trouble he wouldn't have tried to get him removed from the draft as it might be their only chance to get signed anywhere. Trying for the supplemental draft would allow him to be cleared and raise his stock again.
    I'm sure every single team is tracking it anyway

TT came with a reputation for signing 1st round running backs, running them into the ground on a rookie deal and not resign them. Did it twice in Indy but I thought with the RB devaluation he'd have got out of that thinking

• Advertisement

Need a olb tonight for sure, very short in that area on rooster an extra lib would be use full to, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a qb in the third round

Advertisement