Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

BeerNut wrote: »
    Pfft. While you struggle through the red tape with that, I'll be down the street in Gilbert & Wright drinking Hooker on draught.

+1, although Gibneys do have GH in bottle and some of the O'Hara's. Duffy's around the corner stock the O'Hara's while Fowlers (formerly smiths) across the road from Gibney's have really pushed the boat out by having Smithwicks IPA.

popped in there recently
    me 'have you any irish craft beers?'
    young girl behind bar ' what do you mean?'
    older barman stepped in 'we've smithwicks ipa'

so we went back to G&W's.

am just hoping Metalman makes it to malahide soon, dont know of anywhere on the northside apart from brew dock to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

stuchyg wrote: »
    Nice selectiojn bat the dogma, had it a couple of months ago and thought it was horrendous, the worst beer I have had in a long time. And im usually a big brewdog fan

bought one of these in McHugh's recently, the lad behind the counter suggested it was manky...it was manky. Brewdog's Punk IPA and 5am saint are quality though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

bamboozle wrote: »
    dont know of anywhere on the northside apart from brew dock to get it.
    You can usually find it in L. Mulligan Grocer, WJ Kavanagh's and The Black Sheep. I see their website lists Bar 44 in Swords as a stockist, or you can keep going until you get to the Blue Bar in Skerries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

stuchyg wrote: »
    Guiness is the only stout I have ever had and I must say I really didnt like it, awful taste but I would like to get into drinking stout. Are there any good places to start or is Guiness the best the stout world has to offer

There are so many great Stouts out there, Guinness is definitely not the best. I'm curious though, you describe Guinness as an awful taste, could you describe the taste you dislike a bit more? Might be able to recommend an alternative then that's a little bit different?! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,445 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Dark Arts is awesome!
    Dungarvan Stout is also pretty damn good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

slayerking wrote: »
    There are so many great Stouts out there, Guinness is definitely not the best. I'm curious though, you describe Guinness as an awful taste, could you describe the taste you dislike a bit more? Might be able to recommend an alternative then that's a little bit different?! :)

I cant to be honest, just found it very heavy and unpleasant to drink. I have had Old Engine Oil and a couple other porters but i might pick up some Porterhouse tomorrow. Will be in Tesco Naas and O Briens so shall have a look round

• Site Banned Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭ASJ112

Going to be drinking the following
    • Brewdog Nevermind the anabolics
    • Brewdog I Hardcore You
    • Flying Dog Pearl Necklace Oyster Stout(never had an oyster stout before)
    • Great Divide Limited Edition Chocolate Stout(probably save this for a special occasion

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

ASJ112 wrote: »
    Brewdog Nevermind the anabolics]

Let us know if this one is any good. I saw it in drinkstore but at nearly €10 for a 330ml I didn't find it hard to resist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

Let us know if this one is any good. I saw it in drinkstore but at nearly €10 for a 330ml I didn't find it hard to resist.

I ordered one from Brewdog for around £5. Should be on its way to me soon along with many others.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,445 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Had a bottle of Wrasslers earlier and now debating whether to have a bottle of Brewdog Hardcore or Clotworthy Dobbin.
    Decisions decisions....

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

im drinking cider kiss (finally can drink it after tooth extractions after a full long agonising week)dunno about going back for more extractions really not nice!never drink alcohol with tooth extractions as it can rupture the clot and youre rightly fvcked!

• Site Banned Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭ASJ112

Its not, save your money. Reminded me of a bland version of Punk IPA with the body of Hardcore sans the 9.2% alcohol content. I'm a sucker for trying any limited edition brewdog beers !

Does anybody know why we can get Sierra Nevada and Brewdog on tap here, but not beers from The Kernel or Magic Rock in UK, or other Sierra Nevada beers ?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Had a badger poachers choice. Lovely English red ale, light, caramel and summer fruits flavours. I know badger are not the most popular brewer but this is a fine beer.

In a few minutes, I'll also find out if it makes a good cottage pie too!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

I hardcore you, great beer to sip on while making the dinner.

ciaran76 wrote: »
    I hardcore you, great beer to sip on while making the dinner.

Strong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Strong though.

That's how I like it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Going to sip a bottle of Punk while watching MOTD and then bed for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭kaltz

Having a Clotworthy Dobbin. Very Nice. Have 2 Hobgoblins ready for afters.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭hawkhead

Currently sipping a Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout. Love it

Seaneh wrote: »
    Going to sip a bottle of Punk while watching MOTD and then bed for me.

Is no one else going to say it? No?

Ahem:

"Woo-hoo. Beer! Beer! Beer! Bed! Bed! Bed!"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

ASJ112 wrote: »
    Does anybody know why we can get Sierra Nevada and Brewdog on tap here, but not beers from The Kernel or Magic Rock in UK, or other Sierra Nevada beers ?
    Quantity. BrewDog and Sierra Nevada are big export-driven companies. Magic Rock amd Kernel are microbreweries. I think most of the SN range shows up here from time to time, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

Had a bottle of London Gold Rush by Shepard Neame last night. Twas very nice, kinda reminded me of Galway Hooker

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

I was on a trip to Riga, Tallinn, Stockholm and Berlin with my friends and was able to have some excellent and curious beers.

The first was more amusing than tasty - Saku: The Cream of Dublin stout. I found it quite sweet and much lighter and bubbly than any Irish Stout. I wasn't particularly impressed. They also make a Taste of Manchester ale but I didn't bother trying it based on their lager and the above stout-approximation.

The second was Brutal Brewing's Hale to Nothing Eco Ale, which was a very refreshing and crisp golden ale. At around €2 for a 330ml bottle I felt that it was quite a good deal, given the high cost of living in Sweden and their apparent mania towards alcohol.

Then I picked myself up a bottle of the strong version of Carnegie Stark Porter, which I really enjoyed. I believed it's partially owned by Carlsberg but it seemed like a quality product to me - very dry towards the end and quite refreshing. A beer with a long history, I believe.

While in Berlin I indulged in a lot of Pilsners. One of the local brews, Berliner Pilsner, as you all know is really quite good. However, given that the price was more or less the same as that of Pilsner Urquell, I decided to spend my money on that and felt totally justified. It was my first time buying it and I found it to be much hoppier than any Pilsner I've tried. A real quality product as I'm sure most of you will agree.

I also got a nice pint of IPA on tap from a random bar I went into at the end of Fúck Parade and was pleasantly surprised, despite it being a little sweet for my tastes.

I tried a few more beers but I'll have to think about what they were called before posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Picked up a couple of bottles of Mac's Gold lager. Will be trying it later this week although the packaging looks a bit hipsteresque.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

Ravelleman wrote: »
    I was on a trip to Riga, Tallinn, Stockholm and Berlin with my friends and was able to have some excellent and curious beers.

The first was more amusing than tasty - Saku: The Cream of Dublin stout. I found it quite sweet and much lighter and bubbly than any Irish Stout. I wasn't particularly impressed. They also make a Taste of Manchester ale but I didn't bother trying it based on their lager and the above stout-approximation.

JC's in Swords have started selling these. They also have a Praha one. They are €1.29 each. I got one of each but haven't tried them yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Went to the new craft beer place in Cork (bside the Woolshed and the Mardyke), nice place.

Had a pint of Sierra Nevada Pale ALe, Porterhouse Hop Head, Metalman Pale Ale, and Fischer's Helles.

All delicious in their own way. Sooooo many beers to get through in that place, I WILL be back!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,790 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Thornbridge Envelode 6.2% brown porter matured on blackberries.
    Nice beer, very subtle with the blackas (not sure I would detect blackberries if I didn't know they were there) but like most Thornbridge beers, is overpriced at €8.95 for a 33cl bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

Drinking a 2012 Duvel Tripel Hop which was a present I got on a recent trip to Leuven, Belgium. 9.5% but you don't feel any of the alcohol. Beautiful beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Went to the new craft beer place in Cork (bside the Woolshed and the Mardyke), nice place.

Had a pint of Sierra Nevada Pale ALe, Porterhouse Hop Head, Metalman Pale Ale, and Fischer's Helles.

All delicious in their own way. Sooooo many beers to get through in that place, I WILL be back!

Any idea the name of the place? Might check it out over the weekend. Is it kind of like the Bierhaus setup, some stuff on tap and plenty of various bottles?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Ravelleman wrote: »
    I also got a nice pint of IPA on tap from a random bar I went into at the end of Fúck Parade and was pleasantly surprised, despite it being a little sweet for my tastes.

:eek:
    Did you get to meet TechnoViking!?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement