Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

DenMan wrote: »
    Had this in Sligo today. Brewed in Ireland. Very strong @5.25 Vol. Very nice and a tad bitter. Has grapefruit in it. I liked it! :D

That'd be the hops (I find Cascade hops have that taste). One of my favourite beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,968 ✭✭✭DenMan

BaZmO* wrote: »
    It doesn't have grapefruit in it. It has hops in it that may or may not taste like grapefruit depending on your tastebuds.

Also..... it's only 5.2% but I'm guessing you hit the "5" instead of the "%" ;)

Sure did! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Heroditas

slayerking wrote: »

On a side note, Carry out in Ashtown have seriously upped their selection lately. They have a relatively large fridge full of beer plus they've recently installed a new shelf full with beer also.
    Its great, but living across the road, I fear for my future!

Haven't they just! I work just up the road and had abandoned that place in favour of my local O'Briens.
    Went in there recently and was blown away with the improvement.
    After Drinkstore, it would be my most popular beer off-licence nowadays.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

This week I have been mostly drinking:

Sierra Nevada Southern Hemisphere Harvest Wet Hop Ale, Brewdog Hardcore, O'Hara's Pale Ale and White Water's Clothworthy Dobbin.

Sad times, Salt House is now out of Hardcore and the Southern Hemisphere.

Twas my name birthday yesterday so going to have a few beers with the brothers in Maguire's in Athlone tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Sierra Nevada Hoptimum, great stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭White_Wolf

CiaranC wrote: »
    Sierra Nevada Hoptimum, great stuff

Where did you find it? I would imagine beer trade as usual but if you actually found it in Ireland please do tell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

White_Wolf wrote: »
    Where did you find it? I would imagine beer trade as usual but if you actually found it in Ireland please do tell.

Im my local supermarket in NZ im afraid, well worth ordering a six pack if you can get it

CiaranC wrote: »
    Im my local supermarket in NZ im afraid, well worth ordering a six pack if you can get it

Oh I know that, I have had it, but sadly never been able to find it here in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

enjoyed a brewdog Punk IPA in a can over the weekend, along with some O'Hara's IPA, Sierra Nevada Bigfoot and Sam Adams Noble Pils.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

White_Wolf wrote: »
    Oh I know that, I have had it, but sadly never been able to find it here in Ireland.

I'm pretty sure Drinkstore got it in a while back, I'd say its long gone now though!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭sarahn11

217873.jpg

Last nights Fair..

I Hardcore You - Was a decent IPA, Stronger malt backbone when compared to Brewdogs Hardcore IMO, But its a Colab, that the point right? :p
    Brewdog Hardcore IPA - Quickly becoming my favorite IPA

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

sarahn11 wrote: »
    Last nights Fair..

I Hardcore You - Was a decent IPA, Stronger malt backbone when compared to Brewdogs Hardcore IMO, But its a Colab, that the point right? :p
    Brewdog Hardcore IPA - Quickly becoming my favorite IPA

Great pic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

slayerking wrote: »
    Carry out in Ashtown have seriously upped their selection lately.

Good news, with Superquinn across the road from it, there is a decent beer selection to be had in the area. Tesco Clearwater isn't too far away either.

I'm sure you are aware of Sweeny's in Glasnevin?

The Northside has some excellent beer outlets at the moment.

The 2 McHughs Artane and Kilbarrack, Sweeny's in Glasnevin, Carry out in Ashtown. There's also a very good off licence in Clongriffin of all places, I don't know the name of it though, but my brother is always drinking something weird and winderful that he picked up there. And one in Clontarf, again I don't know the name of it.

Am I missing any?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Gibney's in Malahide and Cheers in Ongar are both usually pretty good for beer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Des wrote: »
    Good news, with Superquinn across the road from it, there is a decent beer selection to be had in the area. Tesco Clearwater isn't too far away either.

The Northside has some excellent beer outlets at the moment.

The 2 McHughs Artane and Kilbarrack, Sweeny's in Glasnevin, Carry out in Ashtown. There's also a very good off licence in Clongriffin of all places, I don't know the name of it though, but my brother is always drinking something weird and winderful that he picked up there. And one in Clontarf, again I don't know the name of it.

Am I missing any?

Lilac Wines and Martins Fine Wines in Fairview both have large selections. In Clontarf you have O'Briens, Kelly's and Nolans supermarket which has just got a decent selection. Supervalues in Killester and Raheny are slowly getting more adventurous, stocking a few english and USA offerings, no Irish craft beer though, and of course you have the Drinkstore.
    BeerNut wrote: »

They've won a few awards for that offlicence, although the pub dosn't have any of the beer in stock apperently if you ask they'll bring it through for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

Jus de vine in Portmarnock and the lord mayors in Swords village are pretty good too.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Martyn1989 wrote: »
    although the pub dosn't have any of the beer in stock apperently if you ask they'll bring it through for you.
    Pfft. While you struggle through the red tape with that, I'll be down the street in Gilbert & Wright drinking Hooker on draught.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

I wasn't actually aware of this place, I better investigate!
    Drinkstore in Stoneybatter is also relatively close and one of the best beer off licences in the entire country. Probably the off licence I frequent the most. Though Carryout will definitely be more convenient, great to see them broadening their horizons!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Pfft. While you struggle through the red tape with that, I'll be down the street in Gilbert & Wright drinking Hooker on draught.

Well its not a bad offer to allow you pick from their full offlicence selection, including their wines, chances are I wouldn't be in Malahide in the first place :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Tried a Schoefferhofer, very decent for €1.49. Not my favourite Hefeweizen, but not bad at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭emco

As does Molloys in Coolmine and the new-ish Carry-Out on the side of the Hartstown House has a good selection despite its size. Then Lidl for cheap Franziskaner!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

stuchyg wrote: »
    iv had the Roisin and I must say i was quite impressed, will you let us know what the seaweed is like as I have seen it a few times and am curious about it
    its very nice but nothing really seaweedy or strange about it. if you like. good stout youll like i id bet. just tasted like a nice stout/porter to me

adamski8 wrote: »
    its very nice but nothing really seaweedy or strange about it. if you like. good stout youll like i id bet. just tasted like a nice stout/porter to me

^^ pretty much what he said.

here's a selection I got tonight.

480814_10151038021333873_838100878_n.jpg

Flying Dog Doggie Style Classic Pale Ale is very nice, had it with a spicy meal.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

adamski8 wrote: »

^^ pretty much what he said.

here's a selection I got tonight.

480814_10151038021333873_838100878_n.jpg

Flying Dog Doggie Style Classic Pale Ale is very nice, had it with a spicy meal.
    The Cream Ale is lovely. I had it recently. Very refreshing, would be great on a summer's day. Rare things around here though!

On my way down to the Porter House in Bray now, maybe a few Delirium Tremens while I am there.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    The Cream Ale is lovely. I had it recently. Very refreshing, would be great on a summer's day. Rare things around here though!

Drinking it now, yep, quite nice, very citrusy really.

I can definitely get the refreshing thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

Nice selectiojn bat the dogma, had it a couple of months ago and thought it was horrendous, the worst beer I have had in a long time. And im usually a big brewdog fan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

Guiness is the only stout I have ever had and I must say I really didnt like it, awful taste but I would like to get into drinking stout. Are there any good places to start or is Guiness the best the stout world has to offer

stuchyg wrote: »
    Guiness is the only stout I have ever had and I must say I really didnt like it, awful taste but I would like to get into drinking stout. Are there any good places to start or is Guiness the best the stout world has to offer

Not even close.

I imagine you are talking about the draught Guinness.

For a start, Pint bottles are better, different, drink. Start there.

O'Hara's Stout is widely available, made in Carlow by an actual Irish company. It's good on draught, or in bottles. Some people like their other Stout, Leann Follain, better.

Porterhouse also make some decent stouts - Plain Porter, Wrassler's and Oyster. Plain is very good. Go into a Porterhouse and get one on draught, or they are available in bottles, try Spuerquinn.

Along the same lines is Dark Arts from Trouble Brewing, and Knockmealdown from 8 Degrees Brewing.

And that is just a selection of the Irish Stouts/Porters available in all good off licences.

Guinness Stout on draught is actually probably one of the worst on the market to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,856 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

+1 on O'Haras stout and Leann Follain, Dark Arts, and the Porthouse Plain Porter.

Also try this if you go into the Porterhouse. Just the one though!!! http://www.drinkstore.ie/PORTERHOUSE-BARREL-AGED-CELEBRATION-STOUT-330ML-5391518560106/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement