Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Chillout Zone (Off-Topic Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Bit random but does anyone have a cat on hills k/d (renal diet)? A friend of ours had a tin that her cat wouldn't eat and gave it to me thinking it was just normal cat food but I'd be reluctant to feed it to my guys when there's nothing wrong so if someone wants it I can post it to you!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,024 ✭✭✭✭tk123

So Reb is a bit brighter today but they're still waiting for cultures to come back so they're 100% sure what it is. He looked alert in a photo my friend sent me earlier so hopefully he's finally on the mend!

We just left the park there and while Lucy was sniffing in the flowerbeds outside we saw some friends leaving with their retriever. As they were getting nearer the gate the called her but she kept walking and next started barking, bolted across the road and got clipped by a car. There's no way the car could have stopped in time - she kind of ran in a zigzag into the traffic. The driver was very apologetic and the owners were as well. She seems fine (probably in shock) but OMG I just feel sick thinking of it! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Bit random but does anyone have a cat on hills k/d (renal diet)? A friend of ours had a tin that her cat wouldn't eat and gave it to me thinking it was just normal cat food but I'd be reluctant to feed it to my guys when there's nothing wrong so if someone wants it I can post it to you!

It'll be fine to give them, we had one cat on it years ago, his brother kept stealing it, but after speaking to the vet, I let him have some. Vet said it would do no harm to him, he got ordinary food too, and he was getting some most days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

A couple of weeks ago I posted that I was training Alli to open the back door but she was just barking at it and hitting it. Well she can now open it from the outside which is not helpful at all in this weather, that idea back fired pretty quickly :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

No one else in the house tonight so was sitting here watching tv and suddenly hear a huge bang from the kitchen. A bit freaked out, I wandered in, thinking it was one of the cats. Nope, Squeak fast asleep in the chair and Kovu wasn't to be seen.

Then I notice an apple on the ground under the table. "Eh?" thinks meself, what's that doing there.
    I glance into the shelf section of our dresser where the fruit bowl is. And there's a tail hanging out of the fruit bowl. Attached to a large Kovu shaped arse comfortably plonked on top of the bananas.

Who then got up, ate half a tin of food and is now fast asleep on my pillow.

He's a flamin' fruitcake at the best of times but this is a new one for him!:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

SingItOut wrote: »
    A couple of weeks ago I posted that I was training Alli to open the back door but she was just barking at it and hitting it. Well she can now open it from the outside which is not helpful at all in this weather, that idea back fired pretty quickly :pac:

I remember reading that and thinking "don't do it!!" :D. It was around the time there was a dog here who could open all the doors and it caused me to lock myself out of the front part of the house as I was locking the kitchen door behind me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Felix was feeling very gung ho yesterday and it took Mr Pumpkinseeds and myself ages to wear him out playing. We took it in shifts:D He gets into strange moods from time to time and it's funny to see him try to play with our other cats. He hasn't a clue how to play with other cats, it starts nicely but escalates to intimidation within a minute. Jazzy came in pestering me in the early hours, turned out Felix had nicked his blanket on the spare bed, that's a first.

I just found a burst abcess on Toby's neck, I thought I smelled infection earlier. That means a vet trip tomorrow.

Allis only delighted with her new door opening trick, she's now opening it and just barely looking into the kitchen wagging her tail all proud of herself :D wouldn't mind but they spend only about half an hour a day outside tops!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I knew a springer once that would run back a close the door after letting himself in, once someone shouted at him to shut the door.
    He was a great dog, sadly gone now, but I always smile thinking of him letting himself in, getting told to shut the door, and sheepishly running back to close it!
    Such a waggy tail he had once he'd done it and been told what a good boy he was.

• Advertisement

Pity Alli doesn't close it after herself, she's part springer too so I suppose there's hope :D

I'm taking Toby to the vet this morning with a burst abcess so he had to be fasted, poor chap is wandering around the house meowing randomly in that forlorn way they have. The other 3 were waking me up all night because the bowl of kibble wasn't down and Jazzy being a clever little guy knows well that when the kibble is taken up someone is going to the vet so he makes himself scarce. I know it's important to fast him, it's just horrible looking at him being all sad. Still, if I rattle some kibble when I need to get him in the carrier it might make it easier to get him into it.

Aww poor Toby, my cats go crazy if I don't feed them on time !

I've just made Beau a grooming appointment for next week with our vet, he had a small matt on his back but before I could get to it he managed to get oil on it so now it's worse! He's now going to have an uneven coat for a few weeks :(

Toby has gotten so devious since his last vet trip a couple of weeks ago. I'd put the heat on so he'd get all sleepy and 5 minutes before I went out to get the carrier from the shed he jumped up and headed for the cat flap so I lured him back into the living room with cat nip and closed the kitchen door while I went to get the carrier and put a blanket in it for him. I opened the kitchen door and rattled the kibble and nothing.

While I was hunting around the living room for him I heard a sound in the kitchen, which was him going out the cat flap. He'd either hidden behind the sofa or in the cupboard under the stairs then made a break for it. I nabbed him in the garden. I'm waiting to call the vet and check on him in an hour, so I'm boiling some chicken breasts for the 4 of them as a treat. Poor little guy was doing the really sad meow they save for the vet trips.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

I volunteer with a rescue, we have a shelter. Today the guards called us because of a <rude_word_removed> who had previously been convicted of animal cruelty, to come and collect 6 dogs and various puppies, 2 goats (3rd dead), sow & 6 piglets, 2 donkeys. :mad: :mad: :mad: This low-life actually called later to ask if he could have the two older dogs back (bitch & dog, neither neutered!)

Also a Shih Tzu puppy was stolen from a womans car parked, very short period outside Tesco in Newbridge :eek: :eek:

I swear people make me despair sometimes :(

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ferretone

DBB wrote: »
    Ach, I know, that is true. You're right too about them not acting sooner.... When my little lady first developed it, it was her continued inappetance that prompted me to get her bloods checked, so we were onto it pretty quickly, and she's never has a major episode like poor Rebel. I suppose a major episode like his is the first many owners realise there's been trouble bubbling up under the surface for a while :(

It makes me despair, what vets actually recommend we feed our dogs :( And then, when we talk with ordinary, nice dog owners, and tell them we are feeding raw, they are all concerned, but surely we can't know if that is a balanced diet?

Luckily I have a full arsenal of answers for them at this stage, and can usually persuade them to feed a better quality and more appropriate food by the end of the discussion, even if it is still going to be a dry food :p

It's like the whole problem of medicine going down the tubes since all research is now basically private money. Is there any way that decent animal nutrition can ever be taught to our veterinary students again? :rolleyes:

I was up very early this morning and Toby is being very wary in case I try to nab him for a vet trip.:D He was all jittery earlier and when I had a look to see why there was a baby earthworm stuck to him. He's much happier in himself since the abcess was drained yesterday, now we just have to clean it and keep it open for the next few days, hopefully without getting bitten.

God, I'm having one of those mornings with Zooplus. I accidentally entered the wrong security number for my card so they suspended the offer, no problem there. So it automatically emptied my basket so nothing was pending. Then I ordered 24 cans of Bozita, not realising until after I'd submitted the order that I got chicken instead of salmon, that was my own fault. I sent them an email immediately asking them to cancel the order and I went out for a couple of hours. I checked my emails and they cancelled the suspened order but 'reinstated' the order that I asked them to cancel, despite me having asked them to cancel it and giving them the order number:confused:

Between me emailing them again to again request cancellation of that order they've sent me an email telling me that the order is being processed, yet somehow it's been handed over to DHL, amazing how something can be in 2 places at the same time.:rolleyes:

Shotgun pellets in the dog's meat this morning lol! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ferretone

Nyssa is teething like mad now :o She's spat 3 teeth right at my feet in the last 4 days :pac:

• Advertisement

ferretone wrote: »
    Nyssa is teething like mad now :o She's spat 3 teeth right at my feet in the last 4 days :pac:

Freaks me out when they're sitting there chewing their own tooth that's fallen out lol :pac:

Rebel is home but feeling a bit sorry for himself...but I think part of it might be acting lol - I've seen him in action! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭nala2012

Going to the pet expo tomorrow. Haven't been in a coupld years.. hope it will be good. Not bringing any dogs with me so looking forward to seeing some cats!

I can't decide if I'm going or not lol. One one hand I don't want to but on the other it'll be good socialization for Lucy. My main concern is Bailey barking the place down for cuddles if we see somebody we know, then the chain reaction of Lucy getting excited because he's excited!! And I can't leave him at home because there's nobody to mind him!

Anyways our agility tunnel has just arrived!! Can't wait to open it out later and see what the dogs do lol! :D

I was just on zooplus.de and let chrome translate it... the part for fish/aquarium stuff translates to 'hunting and fighting dogs'..! How did that get so lost in translation?! :pac:

I was just on zooplus.de and let chrome translate it... the part for fish/aquarium stuff translates to 'hunting and fighting dogs'..! How did that get so lost in translation?! :pac:

Ooooooooooooooh!!! Have you just disclosed one of your SS's? :pac::p;)

tk123 wrote: »
    Ooooooooooooooh!!! Have you just disclosed one of your SS's? :pac::p;)

Haha nope! I've all my presents picked on a different website, just have to wait for payday :D

The dogs are going MAD with the tunnel - they can't handle the excitement lol :p They each go thru it when they're on their own but if they're both out together it turns into a mad half hour with the two of them play killing each other! This morning I put Lucy inside and gave Bailey a turn.. he went thru it a few times then stopped, went and picked up a tennis ball and then started going thru again lol!! He NEVER picks up a ball if Lucy is around because she just demands it from him - and always gets it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

Walked into the kitchen this morning and caught Max sharing a bowl of dog biscuits with Roisin. Strange little man.
    He's a completely different cat since we got him neutered. Very demanding for hugs, as in jumping at my shoulders to push me down and then settling on my chest purring like a lunatic. Things between him and Cinnamon are going a lot better too. They're not hugging or anything but they're playing without violence behind it which is a nice start.

My dad took the dogs for their usual walk through the forestry this morning , it states clearly on the gate that all dogs have to be on a lead due to new trees planted, pesticides sprayed etc . He ran into our neighbour and her dog (a cairn terrier) and she was in a state, some idiot with a husky off lead let his dog run over to hers and her dog was attacked and left bleeding. Her dog will be ok thankfully. My dad went on with their walk and came across the husky on its own, it came running over teeth bared so my dad picked up a stick and shook it at the dog and held it off until it's owner came around the corner. My dad had to actually tell the owner to call his dog back, of course the dog had zero recall. My dad explained to him you have to have your dog on a lead there, The guy got really rude with my dad and continued on his way with his husky still off lead. Some people should not be allowed dogs at all.

• Advertisement

SingItOut wrote: »
    Some people should not be allowed dogs at all.

+1 Guy in our park (who doesn't pick up the poo :mad:) is always forcing his 2 dogs into the river when they clearly don't want to go in. It's still quite high and Bailey and Lucy don't want to go in - which is fine with me because it's dangerous when it's like that. My neighbour told me he picked one of them up this morning and threw them in! ... They're lurchers not like they're designed to swim like my two with their webbed feet and a coat designed for it. Got very rude when somebody told him it wasn't fair on the dogs! Tool:mad:

I don't have patience for people any more lol - I'm not spending my free time standing around with people who irritate me lol! :pac: I was told yesterday I was being too protective of Lucy for putting her on lead and going to a different part of the park/leaving when the latest aggressive dog is running around off lead :rolleyes: I replied that like my happy, confident dog as she is so no way will I put her in a situation that could leave me with 2 injured dogs - Bailey would step in if anything happened.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement