Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kenny says Public Sector workers no longer have job security.

Options
  • 24-04-2013 5:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭

So public sector workers no longer have job security that normally comes with a public sector position. Well that's according to Enda Kenny today. Does that suggest it should be reflected upwards in their pay given that the usual security of their position is now gone! In fairness to public sector workers (which I'm not one of) theuve always been seen to sacrifice wages for security. If that's gone then why work for less, especially if -at the lower end of things- you can actually get better wages in the private sector.

No Joe Duffy "I know a fella in the public sector" crap now, this is not a public v private sector debate. This is a genuine look at how we might actually end up with nothing but the worst of the worst in the public sector.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

*grabs popcorn and pulls laptop closer to chair*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

One would hope it just means "Do your job or get fired". Y'know, like it does in most jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,781 ✭✭✭amacca

Eh what?, joe Duffy, public sector...this will go .....predictably

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Have you got a link? I don't see anything about this. I saw an article about Pat Rabbitte ruling out compulsory redundancies, however.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,027 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Welcome to the real world

• Advertisement

Dave! wrote: »
    Have you got a link? I don't see anything about this. I saw an article about Pat Rabbitte ruling out compulsory redundancies, however.

I think what was actually said was no job security without the protection of Croke park ... Renegotiation etc was not explicitly ruled out

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭true

Kenny is just getting fed up at public service workers, just as the troika and nearly everyone else is. They are among the highest paid public sector workers in the world at an average of 49k a year, and have a shorter working week and statistically much more sickies than the private sector, and golden pensions, so Kenny is right for once.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Was it not "If CP fails, then there will be no job security"? That was what I heard on the news. Usually saber rattling

true wrote: »
    Kenny is just getting fed up at public service workers, just as the troika and nearly everyone else is. They are among the highest paid public sector workers in the world at an average of 49k a year, and have a shorter working week and statistically much more sickies than the private sector, and golden pensions, so Kenny is right for once.

Finally an objective poster without an axe to grind

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

Saab Ed wrote: »
    you can actually get better wages in the private sector.

You're free to seek employment in any sector, the Pay should match the supply and quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Randall Floyd

Is this a threat on Kenny's part that the government may seek mandatory redundancies or something? Can't see that happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

maglite wrote: »
    You're free to seek employment in any sector, the Pay should match the supply and quality.

Absolutely, but with the incentive of job security gone then what's the point! Some people did actually sacrifice wages for the security provided. I just can't see why anybody would join the public sector now unless you're utterly useles and unnemployable elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Flimbos

Link

Seems to be Kenny's way of saying CP2 is the only show in town, and the savings have to be met.

Absolutely, but with the incentive of job security gone then what's the point! Some people did actually sacrifice wages for the security provided. I just can't see why anybody would join the public sector now unless you're utterly useles and unnemployable elsewhere.

Had it perhaps occurred to you there might be jobs in the public sector they would like to do that are not available or are in much more limited supply in the private sector?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

I agree. It's virtually impossible to fire someone in the public service and some of them will take advantage of that. A job should only be secure if you do it right. This does not affect any genuine good workers out there as far as I can see.

I know a lad in the public service and the stories he's told me of the sheer incompetence he's witnessed is astonishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,320 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Here's what I don't like: People talking about public sector (or private sector) like all jobs have equal terms. Some have it good, some are being royally screwed over, you can't just take the mean salary and paint everyone with that brush. The aim should be to try and be fair. Then again, rabble rabble rabble.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭almighty1

I know a lad in the public service and the stories he's told me of ............

Wow 16 posts before one of these arrived. Shocked it took this long :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

My heart bleeds for them all. They no longer have the job security.

NOT!!! They still have pensions that according to Irish Times are worth 42% more than private sector workers for women and 38% for men. A lot of their wages dont in anyway reflect their skills or the hours they work. Im surprised Enda being a former teacher that he would harm his own people. But when he sees the back lash in the coming days his words will have been miss understood

hfallada wrote: »
    My heart bleeds for them all. They no longer have the job security.

NOT!!! They still have pensions that according to Irish Times are worth 42% more than private sector workers for women and 38% for men. A lot of their wages dont in anyway reflect their skills or the hours they work. Im surprised Enda being a former teacher that he would harm his own people. But when he sees the back lash in the coming days his words will have been miss understood

Do you have any ideas what % of public sector gross weekly wage goes on their pension? Really? Any idea?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

S....................Does that suggest it should be reflected upwards in their pay given that the usual security of their position is now gone! In fairness to public sector workers (which I'm not one of) theuve always been seen to sacrifice wages for security. .........................

Is this a movie plot?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

I have said this a number of times over the years here, I can earn more outside the service than inside. In fact I do take a certain amount of private work on each year to make up for the various cuts my PS wage has taken.

I stay there because the people I supply a service to cannot afford it privately, mostly of the HSE clients I see cannot afford professional help privately.

I only take up some private work to top up my wages, I know others in the same position. I would not have access to the same clients in the private sector.

There are many reason that have nothing got to do with money which motivate certain professionals to stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

I just can't see why anybody would join the public sector now unless you're utterly useles and unnemployable elsewhere.

Yeah, they should join or set up their own private army, navy, and police force. That'd work brilliantly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭true

Odysseus wrote: »
    I have said this a number of times over the years here, I can earn more outside the service than inside.
    I would find that difficult to believe, given that public sector wages are statistically nearly double per hour that in the private sector. Ash any one in the private sector, from cleaner to security personnell to admin staff to architect what they earn compared to their counterparts in the public sector - that is, if they still have a job at all...
    In fact I do take a certain amount of private work on each year to make up for the various cuts my PS wage has taken.
    So you "double job". You already have a highly paid public sector job, and you are so greedy you take private sector work as well because of the low hours you work in the public sector. ( avg 32 hours per week )
    I only take up some private work to top up my wages, I know others in the same position. I would not have access to the same clients in the private sector.
    thats immoral as you are doing a private sector worker out of work - many of whom are unemployed and struggling to keep their kids fed / mortgage paid.

Shame on you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Einhard wrote: »
    Yeah, they should join or set up their own private army, navy, and police force. That'd work brilliantly.

If only it was that simple. You've missed my initial point completly. Joe Duffy thread is for you.

I would find that difficult to believe, given that public sector wages are statistically nearly double per hour that in the private sector. Ash any one in the private sector, from cleaner to security personnell to admin staff to architect what they earn compared to their counterparts in the public sector - that is, if they still have a job at all...

Prove it. And while you're at it.......see if it takes into account that public sector (as a ratio) are more qualified than the private sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

thats immoral as you are doing a private sector worker out of work - many of whom are unemployed and struggling to keep their kids fed / mortgage paid.

Shame on you.

Shame? For working for a living? That's a bit OTT isn't it.

-Funk

So you "double job". You already have a highly paid public sector job, and you are so greedy you take private sector work as well because of the low hours you work in the public sector. ( avg 32 hours per week )

Shame on you.

Ah ffs get off your high horse!

Also ..It's perfectly possible for many professionals to get paid more (and much more) in the private sector for the same work they do in the public sector

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Need to plug that gap in the public finances. The money doesn't grow on trees. Bit of realpolitik coming to the fore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Shame on you.

Are trolls unionised ?

• Advertisement

Sergeant wrote: »
    Need to plug that gap in the public finances. The money doesn't grow on trees. Bit of realpolitik coming to the fore.

I agree. But from everybody.

Advertisement